For Christians, must all songs have praise and give glory to God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One day a man came to our student body to tell us of the 'evils' of 'Rock and Roll' and how we cant be a 'slave to the rhythm'. He was a musician who had repented of the rock star life, given his heart to the Lord, and written a book about it.

Many were impressed and listened to him as he gave his testimony and showed us how the music could 'move' and 'arose' the senses. The whole student body was strongly affected, and many spiritual and religious outreach was begun or strengthen by the spirit. We gave up our 'rock and roll' records, tore up our Led Zep, threw away our Santana, and yes, let go of John, Paul, George and Ringo.

The question is, does the music/content/words that Christians have or listen to have to be to 'spirtual' or give praise and give glory to God? Now before you answer, look at your record collection and see if any of 'old blue eyes', or the rat pack to say nothing of Jazz, or Blues are in the stack..

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The question is, does the music/content/words that Christians have or listen to have to be to 'spirtual' or give praise and give glory to God?

Does everything a Christian does have to be for the glory?
Is everything a Christian does for God's glory?

We are to worship God in Spirit and in truth, if one finds or things that a certain song, or group devalues their service of God, then one shouldn't listen to that song or group.

It is the same with films, videos, books, TV, p.aces and people.
If any of these causes one to go astray then one should remove it from one's life.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One day a man came to our student body to tell us of the 'evils' of 'Rock and Roll' and how we cant be a 'slave to the rhythm'. He was a musician who had repented of the rock star life, given his heart to the Lord, and written a book about it.

Many were impressed and listened to him as he gave his testimony and showed us how the music could 'move' and 'arose' the senses. The whole student body was strongly affected, and many spiritual and religious outreach was begun or strengthen by the spirit. We gave up our 'rock and roll' records, tore up our Led Zep, threw away our Santana, and yes, let go of John, Paul, George and Ringo.

The question is, does the music/content/words that Christians have or listen to have to be to 'spirtual' or give praise and give glory to God? Now before you answer, look at your record collection and see if any of 'old blue eyes', or the rat pack to say nothing of Jazz, or Blues are in the stack..
Does it have to? Probably should. Or just avoid it when possible.

I cannot watch a parade with the marching bands and not break into tears.

I cannot sit and listen to hymns or those at Christmas time or those at a funerals without breaking into tears. Lets not mention weddings.

Before Covid my mother and I went to see 80 year old Engelbert Humperdinck in concert.
( And he was wonderful. His wife has Alzheimers and only rarely recognizes him ... but he still is very much in love with her) within 15 minutes in I am in tears.

Since about 2014, for a specific reason that is too long for here, I cannot listen to music on the car radio when I am driving or I am crying. My options are turning to radio ministries or talk radio. Which is exactly what I did one monring this past week and turned on a ministry... No idea who it was as I just got into the preaching end of things... WHEN I HEARD...

" If you are in danger you are not born again.

God will only protect those who are born again."

And I did not listen to anymore for fear shot through me as I thought of all the dangers I perceived myself to be in ... like when I was 6 ft away from a rattle snake in my own back yard.

So, yes... all music needs to be in glory to the highest... at least for me... or just stop listening altogether.

I may be certifiable but if I am going to water the world (I am for hire in a drought) it should be something that has meaning... and rejoicing to our Lord .

Reactions: marks

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well what we call "praise music" must be addressed to the Lord or cause us to worship Him. Secular is secular and we must be careful of what the Lyrics are. What we listen and see can and do affect us.

Teh rhythm of music is not hypnotic or cause us to change. Music does affect our souls.

Quiet songs bring peace
Marshall music stirs patriotism
Rock causes an intensity etc.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it have to? Probably should. Or just avoid it when possible.

I cannot watch a parade with the marching bands and not break into tears.

I cannot sit and listen to hymns or those at Christmas time or those at a funerals without breaking into tears. Lets not mention weddings.

Before Covid my mother and I went to see 80 year old Engelbert Humperdinck in concert.
( And he was wonderful. His wife has Alzheimers and only rarely recognizes him ... but he still is very much in love with her) within 15 minutes in I am in tears.

Since about 2014, for a specific reason that is too long for here, I cannot listen to music on the car radio when I am driving or I am crying. My options are turning to radio ministries or talk radio. Which is exactly what I did one monring this past week and turned on a ministry... No idea who it was as I just got into the preaching end of things... WHEN I HEARD...

" If you are in danger you are not born again.

God will only protect those who are born again."

And I did not listen to anymore for fear shot through me as I thought of all the dangers I perceived myself to be in ... like when I was 6 ft away from a rattle snake in my own back yard.

So, yes... all music needs to be in glory to the highest... at least for me... or just stop listening altogether.

I may be certifiable but if I am going to water the world (I am for hire in a drought) it should be something that has meaning... and rejoicing to our Lord .
Well, you have no idea how happy I am to see this! A kindred spirit. I understand about the marching music. It is because you are proud of them--I dont mean pride like sinful pride. It is the swelling up inside type--like hearing national anthem.
I cry when I'm happy (weddings too--it is as if you can feel the emotions, experience the joy) IA lot of secular songs made me sad
. Christmas songs especially--memories, things come back, things you wish you could change. Two of them are just killers for me . One is called "Driving home for Christmas" and the other is All I want for Christmas is You. There are more those but are the worst, when I'm at the store or something and I hear them, I start crying and people start staring.

There are hymns that make me cry--All Creatures of Our God and King, The Church has one foundation,etc. I also cannot read the parts in the Bible where God is praised or Jesus is speaking without crying. I wept today in Sabbath School reading Ps 139. No one else is weeping. Sometimes I feel ashamed.I make sure I have Kleenex when I go into the sanctuary.
I cry at movies. My granddaughters have to screen Disney movies to see if Grandma can watch them.NoLion King, no "dumbo, no Bambi," no "UP", and some parts have to be screened. They tell me when I can watch Tarzan, when the sad part is over. Lots of movies are too sad.
It is good to know that there is more than one of us here.

• Love

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe everything we do should in some way glorify God. One musician friend of mine said something I haven't forgotten-

Music can be about people, about God or to God in worship. For some reason I have mostly felt led to make music about God to people, or as a thing to maybe get them to think, and sometimes my messages are maybe only intended for one person.
Genre doesn't matter to me.
HERE is one example. I have many more and none are very similar to another. If you click on my name there "Starise" it opens the main page.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

For Christians, must all songs have praise and give glory to God?​

Meaningful relationships are hardly formal...they are spontaneous and ride easy in the saddle.
(addressing God as Abba ie, Papa is our privilege) ......there is no 'must' in this type of relationship.

Must the prodigal dance at the party thrown for him.....surely not, but will he?....you betcha!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well what we call "praise music" must be addressed to the Lord or cause us to worship Him. Secular is secular and we must be careful of what the Lyrics are. What we listen and see can and do affect us.

Teh rhythm of music is not hypnotic or cause us to change. Music does affect our souls.

Quiet songs bring peace
Marshall music stirs patriotism
Rock causes an intensity etc.
Oh, you have not heard Led Zeppelin, or Black Sabbath, and others that will shake your mind my brother, to say nothing of the words and lyrics that are picked up and come out of young children who had no part of that before it was brought in...

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, you have not heard Led Zeppelin, or Black Sabbath, and others that will shake your mind my brother, to say nothing of the words and lyrics that are picked up and come out of young children who had no part of that before it was brought in...
I grew up and saw the birth of heavy metal and death metal. Rhythms can affect mood but rhythm alone cannot draw someone into darkness. It is the words attached to the rhythms that will influence one to evil.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I grew up and saw the birth of heavy metal and death metal. Rhythms can affect mood but rhythm alone cannot draw someone into darkness. It is the words attached to the rhythms that will influence one to evil.
Come down to the islands sometime and you will see what 'slave to the rhythm' means. Even on the news broadcast they start dancing to say nothing of the streets and beaches....

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Garbage in, garbage out.

If anything is good, pure, praiseworthy, think on these things.

Much love!

Reactions: Starise

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Come down to the islands sometime and you will see what 'slave to the rhythm' means. Even on the news broadcast they start dancing to say nothing of the streets and beaches....
Dancing is not in and of itself a sin. Hebrews and early Christians often danced. It is not the music but the lyrics and who they are dancing to that makes it sin or not.

I have been to the islands many times. I have seen Christians do an offering service that lasted 3/4 hour because they sang and danced to a Caribbean beat but praising God. And I have seen dancing in honor of the voodoo demons.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dancing is not in and of itself a sin. Hebrews and early Christians often danced. It is not the music but the lyrics and who they are dancing to that makes it sin or not.

I have been to the islands many times. I have seen Christians do an offering service that lasted 3/4 hour because they sang and danced to a Caribbean beat but praising God. And I have seen dancing in honor of the voodoo demons.
You have not seen what goes on nowadays even in some churches, its not a dance to praise God to say the least....

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have not seen what goes on nowadays even in some churches, its not a dance to praise God to say the least....
Well I cannot discern what I do not see or know of. If they are just doing something for the flesh, I don't care i f it is a hymn or super heavy metal- it is sin both ways.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even if the music does not speak about God specifically, as long as it doesn't defame him or use his name in vain I see no problem with it, he gave us our voices to praise him and share his wonders with others, but also to enjoy ourselves and spread joy throught the world.
WEll "Christian" music is (IMNSHO) divided into 2 categories.

1. Worshihp- These would be songs directed to God that are designed to life the singer into a state of direct worshhip of HIm.

2. Entertainment. These would be songs that are Christian based and can lift the spirit and mood of the believer as they would be songs about God and Jesus and not necessarily designed to bring one into a state of worship of God personally. A Good example of this is the song from mercy me " I could only imagine." It is not a direct song to God but is a song designes to cause one to poinder God.

An example of worship is Phillips, Craig and Deans' "You alone are God" It is directed to God and praises Him and designed to cause one to worship HIm.

This is a general and not harfast rule I use.