For Christians, the End Times Don't Matter

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's time to stop focusing on the end and start focusing on the now.

"...Historically, it has been the Christian community that has been the most enamored with the apocalypse, and a long line of religious leaders have proclaimed the importance of recognizing that the end is coming. That end is, after all, alluded to over and over in the Bible, from the Old Testament to the New. Early Christians believed that Christ would return within their lifetimes, and that prediction has been revised over and over ever since.

So why the obsession? For many Christians, it comes down to concern. “The urgency was that the Rapture could happen at any time,” says San Francisco-based church information manager, Melisa Blankenship. For some, the feeling that, at any moment, all the world’s unsaved might lose their chance at Heaven can be terrifying.

But consider this: for Christians, the end of the world doesn’t matter. Not one whit. And in fact, giving this idea too much importance in your life might just be holding you back from being the best believer—and person—you can be.

It’s time to stop talking about the end. Let’s find out why.

It Leaves You Hopeless
In the Bible, the essence of most any passage talking about the end of the world is positivity—Christ is returning, all of creation will be restored, and all evil will be defeated, once and for all. This is a message that focuses on hope, redemption, and new beginnings rather than endings.

But for many, the end is the focus. This breeds hopelessness. This breeds despair. This breeds a sense that nothing really matters.

It also breeds anxiety. Imagine the weight of thinking that you know that the world is going to end very soon, that it could happen at any moment, that everyone and everything you love might be swept away in an instant. That is a burden few could bear.

An intense focus on the end of the world is extremely unhealthy. If we are to dwell on Christ’s return, we need to dwell on the positive.

Remember—in Revelation 21, God says that “I am making everything new!” He goes on to proclaim that He will “wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

We should be celebrating the beautiful world God has in store for us rather than focusing on the passage of the “old order”. It is there you will find hope.

Read more at For Christians, the End Times Don't Matter

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"...Historically, it has been the Christian community that has been the most enamored with the apocalypse, and a long line of religious leaders have proclaimed the importance of recognizing that the end is coming. That end is, after all, alluded to over and over in the Bible, from the Old Testament to the New. Early Christians believed that Christ would return within their lifetimes, and that prediction has been revised over and over ever since.

So why the obsession? For many Christians, it comes down to concern. “The urgency was that the Rapture could happen at any time,” says San Francisco-based church information manager, Melisa Blankenship. For some, the feeling that, at any moment, all the world’s unsaved might lose their chance at Heaven can be terrifying.

But consider this: for Christians, the end of the world doesn’t matter. Not one whit. And in fact, giving this idea too much importance in your life might just be holding you back from being the best believer—and person—you can be.

It Leaves You Hopeless
In the Bible, the essence of most any passage talking about the end of the world is positivity—Christ is returning, all of creation will be restored, and all evil will be defeated, once and for all. This is a message that focuses on hope, redemption, and new beginnings rather than endings.

But for many, the end is the focus. This breeds hopelessness. This breeds despair. This breeds a sense that nothing really matters.

It also breeds anxiety. Imagine the weight of thinking that you know that the world is going to end very soon, that it could happen at any moment, that everyone and everything you love might be swept away in an instant. That is a burden few could bear.

An intense focus on the end of the world is extremely unhealthy. If we are to dwell on Christ’s return, we need to dwell on the positive.

Remember—in Revelation 21, God says that “I am making everything new!” He goes on to proclaim that He will “wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

We should be celebrating the beautiful world God has in store for us rather than focusing on the passage of the “old order”. It is there you will find hope.

"We should be celebrating the beautiful world God has in store for us rather than focusing on the passage of the “old order”. It is there you will find hope."

And I disagree whole hardheartedly, because he earlier states that:

"So why the obsession? For many Christians, it comes down to concern. “The urgency was that the Rapture could happen at any time,” says San Francisco-based church information manager, Melisa Blankenship. For some, the feeling that, at any moment, all the world’s unsaved might lose their chance at Heaven can be terrifying."

So basically, the cause is misplaced urgency on the rapture because of false beliefs about how the end times are going to play out. If this is the case, then the solution is actually getting the end times events right for once. It is single handedly the reason why many consider Christianity to be a joke, because we make absolute fools of ourselves. We have plenty preaching the gospel, but we also just as many if not more buffoons giving their most outlandish theories as to how the end times will actually play out.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"We should be celebrating the beautiful world God has in store for us rather than focusing on the passage of the “old order”. It is there you will find hope."

"So why the obsession? For many Christians, it comes down to concern. “The urgency was that the Rapture could happen at any time,” says San Francisco-based church information manager, Melisa Blankenship. For some, the feeling that, at any moment, all the world’s unsaved might lose their chance at Heaven can be terrifying."

So basically, the cause is misplaced urgency on the rapture because of false beliefs about how the end times are going to play out. If this is the case, then the solution is actually getting the end times events right for once. It is single handedly the reason why many consider Christianity to be a joke, because we make absolute fools of ourselves. We have plenty preaching the gospel, but we also just as many if not more buffoons giving their most outlandish theories as to how the end times will actually play out.
Good point. Outlandish theories have been going for 500 years and it doesn't say much for credibility.
It Changes You in a Bad Way
That hopelessness that comes from focusing on the apocalypse doesn’t just burden you—it changes you, too.

Our actions flow from our thoughts, and so if you’re overly focused on the impending end of the world, it’s going to affect how you live your life.

If you’re going to be more focused on escaping this world, and not focused enough on improve it, as well as the lives of the people who inhabit it. After all, if you think the world isn’t going to be around in a few years, what good is charity? What good is environmentalism? In the end, what good is anything that is of this world? This brand of thinking leads to a callous attitude.

Instead, we need to do as Paul instructs—“Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and Godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.”

And what does living “Godly lives” look like? Well, look to Christ for that. He aided the poor, healed the sick, and loved people through instruction and correction.

We should do the same, and let God be the main influence on our behavior, not the apocalypse.

Dave Watchman

May 14, 2017
Patmos
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That sounds nice. But what if the end IS now. What if we are currently in these days but nobody is recognizing the signs. Like it was in the days of John the Baptist. Not many understood what was happening then. I think even John himself was in doubt asking: “Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another? So if a Holy Spirit guy like John could be in doubt, it would be easy for one of us to get sidetracked in the eschatology zone.

So why the obsession?

For me it's a case of, if it's happening now, I WANT to know about it. I can acknowledge however, that not everyone wants to know.

Not for me. I find it scary at times. Hopelessness and despair would be for the lost. We should be looking up. Jesus said that it's a blessed servant that is found watching upon his Master's return.

"Blessed are those servants,
whom the lord will find watching when he comes.

You got me on this one, I'm anxious. I'm apprehensive. I'm on pins and needles. I must be one of the few. It can be spooky at times. But I don't think that it can happen at just any time. The time is "appointed". It's the "appointed time of the end". The Father has "fixed" a day to judge the world. There's "four angels who had been prepared for the hour and day and month and year". These times are connected to a place in the Lord's schematic. We should not be in darkness so that these days would overtake us as a thief.

It might be unhealthy for some. But we should not grieve as those who have no hope. God's people have always been curious as to when His second coming would be. Even the disciples asked Him:

“Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

And they were always writing about it, looking forward to the day.

"Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ

I once imagined what it would be like being alive during the Bible days in Jerusalem. Imagine taking a trip to find Jesus. And as you're approaching from a distance you know it's Him because of the people gathered around. Until you're finally close enough to see his face, to look into his eyes. What would I ask Him, if I could even find the words to speak.

I'm sure the early Christians and people like Isaac Newton would love to see one of our days. There's probably some of us here who will not taste death until they see the Son of man return with eyes a flame of fire.

"And to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels​

Peaceful Sabbath.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It Leaves You Hopeless

Instead of refocusing on the positive aspects of life against what "early Christians believed", instead of churches becoming counseling centers...it would be better to go back to that juncture and see where things went wrong.

If Jesus said "soon", "this generation", and "the old order of things [has] passed away"...what is it that the post-early church did not see?

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That sounds nice. But what if the end IS now. What if we are currently in these days but nobody is recognizing the signs. Like it was in the days of John the Baptist. Not many understood what was happening then. I think even John himself was in doubt asking: “Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another? So if a Holy Spirit guy like John could be in doubt, it would be easy for one of us to get sidetracked in the eschatology zone.

For me it's a case of, if it's happening now, I WANT to know about it. I can acknowledge however, that not everyone wants to know.

Not for me. I find it scary at times. Hopelessness and despair would be for the lost. We should be looking up. Jesus said that it's a blessed servant that is found watching upon his Master's return.

"Blessed are those servants,
whom the lord will find watching when he comes.

You got me on this one, I'm anxious. I'm apprehensive. I'm on pins and needles. I must be one of the few. It can be spooky at times. But I don't think that it can happen at just any time. The time is "appointed". It's the "appointed time of the end". The Father has "fixed" a day to judge the world. There's "four angels who had been prepared for the hour and day and month and year". These times are connected to a place in the Lord's schematic. We should not be in darkness so that these days would overtake us as a thief.

It might be unhealthy for some. But we should not grieve as those who have no hope. God's people have always been curious as to when His second coming would be. Even the disciples asked Him:

“Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

And they were always writing about it, looking forward to the day.

"Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ

I once imagined what it would be like being alive during the Bible days in Jerusalem. Imagine taking a trip to find Jesus. And as you're approaching from a distance you know it's Him because of the people gathered around. Until you're finally close enough to see his face, to look into his eyes. What would I ask Him, if I could even find the words to speak.

I'm sure the early Christians and people like Isaac Newton would love to see one of our days. There's probably some of us here who will not taste death until they see the Son of man return with eyes a flame of fire.

"And to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels​

Peaceful Sabbath.
Jesus could return at any time, but I think at the end of human history. We have a long way to go before that happens. The sun will go nova in 7.6 billion years from now and the earth will be vaporized.
Chasing after headlines with scripture is foolishness, IMO.

It Discredits You
Finally, there is one aspect of end-times-obsession that many Christians overlook.

It discredits the Church.

Every time a Christian religious leader has set a hard date on the apocalypse, they’ve been wrong, and every time they’ve been wrong, the world sniggered at the Church.

We’re here to be ambassadors for God, and that means conducting ourselves in a way that brings Him glory, not disdain. Standing on street corners and handing out fiery predictions isn’t the way to bring others to God.

It’s not even good psychology. You can’t draw someone into a group with negativity—if you want to reach nonbelievers, focus on the positive. Focus on the goodness of God, on the redemption, on the renewal, on the community and love that can be found within the Church.

Don’t discredit the Church by focusing on the end. Bring glory to God by focusing on His goodness.

A Waste of Time and Words
Mark 13:32 reads, “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”

In other words, even Jesus doesn’t know when Jesus is coming back.

Let that sink in. No one can ever know when the end comes, save for God, Himself. And when we try to predict it, when we obsess over it and talk about it and preach it, we warp the positive message of redemption that God has for us.

So don’t worry about the end. Live for the now. Strive to develop all of the fruits of the spirit— love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. And let these things guide your life.

Remember, God is a God of new beginnings. It doesn’t do to dwell upon the end.

Reactions: bbyrd009

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Finally, there is one aspect of end-times-obsession that many Christians overlook.

It discredits the Church.
Yes it does!

Why not, therefore, tell the truth?.. That something magical, something beyond your wildest dreams happens when you come to know God. That God's plan for humanity has two parts, one organic and natural, and one spiritual. That the early church had it right, and that even before "the end" of their own lives they began to walk in the very thing that mankind was meant to evolve into - a new spirit being. That we too have been invited to do the same, but have been wrong about the return of Christ and the end of the world. That we too can now walk in the newness of spiritual life...and when "the end' comes we will be in a position to say "death, where is thy sting?"

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Dc,

That's not what Jesus taught!

42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him (Matt 24:42-44 NIV).​

Christians need to 'keep watch'. They 'must be ready' for Christ's second coming.

Jesus provided warnings of what will happen prior to his coming in the preceding verses of this chapter.

To say 'the end times don't matter' is a wet blanket on all the NT teaches about Christ's return.

Thumbs-down-Circle.png

Oz

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-19_7-1-17.jpeg
    upload_2017-11-19_7-1-17.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 0

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@kepha31 Good post, agree...
And the people who keep flooding the site with "Lets all 'panic' because the kingdom is coming" And " panic, if you are not rapture-ready" and such like stuff ...have no true vision of what God kingdom is! Or of where it is!

The kingdom is now....the kingdom is now...it started within us the moment we became God's child.

Yes, good posts.

Dave Watchman

May 14, 2017
Patmos
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus could return at any time, but I think at the end of human history.

I disagree. For the Father has "fixed" a day. That "day" is connected to a prophetic time period which begins the process, the coming of the Son of Man.

We have a long way to go before that happens.

I disagree. I believe that we have very little time left.

The sun will go nova in 7.6 billion years from now and the earth will be vaporized.

I disagree. That's what the scientists say. We should not grieve as those do who have no hope. They also say that an object the size of New Jerusalem is too big to be a square shape. They say gravity would force it into a sphere.

God says that the earth will last forever. He has the power to stop our sun from becoming a red giant. With God, all things are possible.

"A generation goes, and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever.

"
The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
and hastens to the place where it rises.

Mark 13:32 reads, “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”

In other words, even Jesus doesn’t know when Jesus is coming back.

Let that sink in. No one can ever know when the end comes, save for God, Himself.

I don't think He's talking about the second coming here:

“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.​

Because He goes on to talk about the days BEFORE the flood:

"For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.​

Eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage here is the equivalent to the Pauline "peace and safety" that precedes the "sudden destruction". The "C O M I N G" of the Son of Man is a process, a parade of apocalyptic events that culminate in the arrival of the Son of Man. On day one of this event millions are going to die, a third of the earth is burnt up. Jesus is mankind's High Priest and intercessor, even the wicked can thank Him for each new day. So this would be one good reason why only the Father would push the button to initiate the start. Jesus has a sort of conflict of interests.

And I do think we're close. I think last weekend marked a time where we shifted gears from the second to the third and last watch of the night.

"And if he shall come in the second watch,
or come in the third watch, and find them so,
blessed are those servants.​

I wonder why would that servant be "blessed" who is found watching when his Master comes? I don't know the answer, but I'd rather be close to home when it happens. I'd rather not be too far away in France taking pictures of the Eiffel Tower.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.​
The wicked were swept away; Noah and his family were left behind. "End times" is an unhealthy obsession. It trendy.

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
MMM> luv the so called Christians!~!! kinda sounds like the pope>> love,luv, love this and that that and this , the whole worlds falling apart >> just Like the bible says !!>> but the so called Christians say no.no>no >> Just blows my my mind!!>>> Like this lost >>so called Christ _Like>> The kingdom is now....the kingdom is now...it started within us the moment we became God's child.
>>What The H$LL is that all about >> delusion at its best!! >>> Instead of refocusing on the positive aspects of life against what "early Christians believed", instead of churches becoming counseling centers...it would be better to go back to that juncture and see where things went wrong.>> What the Hell is that??? >>>Instead of refocusing on the positive aspects of life against what "early Christians believed<<>> What the >>H$ll does that MEAN????? My GodJesus>> Delusion and down right rejection of the fundamentals of the Sword of GodJesus!

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
Sly like the surpant>>The kingdom is now....the kingdom is now...it started within us the moment we became God's child. MMM sounds like a revival under a tent >> sorry the church is not going to bring in the kingdom you poor lost soul!

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
The church was never made to bring in the kingdom on earth , yes the church was to spread the good news now all can have salvation by the Blood Of The Lamb On The Cross but never the kingdom on earth!Enjoy

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
And yes the end times matter more then ever>>>For Christians, the End Times Don't Matter <<<>>>> That's what the end times are all about is the Church leaving and the 70th week is finished! >> MyMy>> what a twisted head liner!!>> and the so called Christians eat it up>> and look like the fools they are!!>>how far have the so called chist likes FALLEN!!!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What on earth are you smoking? Four rambling insensible posts one after the other!
You sound like a raving dervish.
Go and see a doctor tomorrow, before you have a complete breakdown.
We'll be praying for you. ✟

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What on earth are you smoking? Four rambling insensible posts one after the other!
You sound like a raving dervish.
Go and see a doctor tomorrow, before you have a complete breakdown.
We'll be praying for you. ✟

default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
............this can apply to most of the newer members who just ramble on and on...............and on and on..............times 1,000. I'm not even sure if obnoxious is the word to describe this sort of behavior.

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
Some wonder why we spend so much time going on about the Rapture as we do. Aside from our curiosity and excitement about this coming event for our generation, it will also serve as evidence for those who are left behind. One second after the Rapture, the world will be cast into turmoil and chaos. It will remain in chaos until a system (the beast) rises up to take the reins of a global system (possibly ran by some form of Artificial Intelligence). It is in this system that a man (the little horn, the rider on the white horse, the man of sin) rises up to take control of the beast. He confirms some kind of covenant between Israel and the many (many gentile nations) that officially starts the beginning of the seven-year countdown.
How long that gap is between the Rapture and the covenant is anyone’s guess. I believe it is anywhere from a few months, to a few years. But however long it is, it seems long enough for people to realize that this Rapture thing we crazy “Pre-Tribber’s” have been going on and on about was real. Because of the Rapture then, many come to faith in Christ, yet, they will not be sealed by the Holy Spirit in the same manner we are.
The reason they aren’t is because Satan also has a seal (the Mark of the Beast-Rev. 13:16-18) and both systems cannot exist at the same time, because one preserves eternally, while the other damns eternally. If even one born-again Christian who was sealed by the Holy Spirit were somehow to take the Mark of the Beast, then “theoretically”, Scripture could be broken