FORGIVEN OR NOT ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

This passage says that we have been forgiven.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

This passage says we have to confess to receive forgiveness.

We can not, at the same time, have forgiveness, but have to confess it in order to receive it.

1 John is written only for Israel as seen in Leviticus 26:40, Nehemiah 1:6, and Psalm 32:5.

Reactions: Nancy

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

We can not, at the same time, have forgiveness, but have to confess it in order to receive it.

1 John is written only for Israel as seen in Leviticus 26:40, Nehemiah 1:6, and Psalm 32:5.

Eph 4:32 says God has forgiven - past tense.
It doesn't say God has forgiven current or future sins.
It doesn't say what conditions had to be fulfilled before those past sins were forgiven.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It all takes common sense and don't take scriptures out of context.
Repenting is the key. Sometimes I just shake my head after I hear or read Christian's opinions.
It doesn't say what conditions had to be fulfilled before those past sins were forgiven.

It also does not say we are allowed to drive cars or motorcycles.... :)
Common sense, people......common sense! Use it.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen, good post.
It all takes common sense and don't take scriptures out of context.
Repenting is the key. Sometimes I just shake my head after I hear or read Christian's opinions.

It also does not say we are allowed to drive cars or motorcycles.... :)
Common sense, people......common sense! Use it.

And God once said "Let us reason together" :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Doug, I hate rain on your parade here, but 1 John is written to the church, LoL.

Ephesians 4:32 is a reference to the fact that God received them and poured out His Spirit upon them, despite being Gentiles. It is a reference to the sins they committed when they were still "enemies in their minds," and without God and without hope in the world.

1 John 1:9 on the other hand is a reference to the ongoing relationship they had - whether Jew or Gentile - with the True and Living God. If we commit sin and fail to repent of it, judgment can come, and we can be chastised for walking in disobedience to God. Such was clearly the case throughout the New Testament.

God bless,
Hidden

Reactions: ChristisGod

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 11480 This might be better>? lol

How dashing!

Triumph, anyone tell you you'd make an excellent Santa Claus?

stock-photo-funny-santa-claus-160982564.jpg

Reactions: Doug and Josho

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John is written to the New Testament church in order to deal with the gnostic heresy that was threatening the church in the late 1st and early 2nd centuries.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When taking the totality of Scripture, we find that walking in the Light (Obedience), which is an ongoing process, we are then cleansed of all sin.

1 John 1
[7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When taking the totality of Scripture, we find that walking in the Light (Obedience), which is a process, we are then cleansed of all sin.

1 John 1
[7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
it's like wearing cloths. they get dirty, no matter how hard you try not to get them dirty. and when something gets dirty, it needs cleaning.

so if your clothes never, I mean never get dirty, why then do you have laundry detergent? and if one is so perfect why then is there "forgivness". why need forgivness if you never do anything wrong?

but there is a couple of scriptures come to mind, scripture, Job 15:15 "Behold, he putteth no trust in his saints; yea, the heavens are not clean in his sight."

Job 4:18 "Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly:"

nough said?

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it's like wearing cloths. they get dirty, no matter how hard you try not to get them dirty. and when something gets dirty, it needs cleaning.

so if your clothes never, I mean never get dirty, why then do you have laundry detergent? and if one is so perfect why then is there "forgivness". why need forgivness if you never do anything wrong?

but there is a couple of scriptures come to mind, scripture, Job 15:15 "Behold, he putteth no trust in his saints; yea, the heavens are not clean in his sight."

Job 4:18 "Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly:"

nough said?

PICJAG

I agree with much of what you said, but are you in part implying that one can willfully sin and still remain forgiven? Is not forsaking ALL sin a requirement of forgiveness?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with much of what you said, but are you in part implying that one can willfully sin and still remain forgiven? Is not forsaking ALL sin a requirement of forgiveness?
no, not willfully sin, but if one do sin, scripture, 1 John 2:1 "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:"

the point is as our brother Paul by the Holy Ghost points out, NOT to sin, but, Philippians 3:13 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,"Philippians 3:14 "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

and the apostle Peter noted, 1 Peter 2:2 "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:"

I have never seen a new born NOT make a mistake, as you said this is a process, we do better when we learn to do better.

PICJAG