Forgiveness. Must we forgive ALL sins against us?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 6:14-15
14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

But what about the other type of sins? What about wicked willful sins of lawlessness? Must we forgive the monster who murdered your child, or your family on purpose? Or only if they repent and ask? Are we commanded to do more than God does Himself? Or on the same level as God does?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

But what about the other type of sins? What about wicked willful sins of lawlessness? Must we forgive the monster who murdered your child, or your family on purpose? Or only if they repent and ask? Are we commanded to do more than God does Himself? Or on the same level as God does?

look the Lord's not stupid He knows your limits. if you can't shake it so to speak then take it before the Lord ask for mercy for not only yourself but the soul you have cause with. express your feelings on the matter if it suits you but the Lord already knows.

understand it is sufficient to ask God to have mercy on those who have offended you done you wrong so on and so forth. note Jesus when on the cross didn't say He forgave them, He ask His Father in Heaven to forgive them. because legitimately God is the Judge. when you ask Him to have mercy on some one then you are in agreement with Him if He does.

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If we love others, why would we not be forgiving? Considering that God has already forgiven us, we should in the same way forgive others. I don't see qualifications on that, forgive this person, but not that person.

I think God's intent for us is to not take offense in the first place, and if we do, to forgive quickly.

Much love!

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The word translated into "trespass" (paraptoham) is generally used in reference to insults, failing to make a goal and things like that.

Even "sin" ( the word) means to fall short then it becomes the specificity of the offense.

We are to forgive the non dangerous or damaging ones ( even the damaging ones when done accidentally)

Things such as attacks et al- not only is there no requirement to forgive or tolerate ( or roll over) we are actually supposed to engage (offensively or defensively as the situation dictates) "If you 'own a sword- sell your cloak and buy one".

Then there's repentance. Repentance is a very high standard (literally means a new mind)- thats light years beyond saying "sorry" or asking forgiveness. True repentance is to be forgiven as well. ( emphasis on true)

Hope that helps

Reactions: CharismaticLady

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The paralytic let down through the roof on a mat didn't ask for for anything yet Jesus not only forgave him but had him skipping out of there.
The lost coin had no clue it was lost....yet it was found.
The prodigal son figured he was on a winner if he could be a servant but the Father wouldn't have it. The Father never questioned his son's sonship....forgiveness here also is evident before it was asked for.
The thief on the cross was happy to settle for being remembered....Jesus's reply blew everything he knew about God out of the water.
Those (Priests, Soldiers, Rulers) who accused and abused Jesus he prayed for to be forgiven....none of them asked....none of them expected it.

God is not a trader. Gratuity oozes in abundance from the heart of God.

If we do not forgive it is because we do not believe we are forgiven in real terms. We might mouth the words and debate our theologies yet what is in our heads has not slipped into our hearts; this I believe is what Jesus was speaking of in Matthew 6:14-15

Reactions: marks and Brakelite

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The paralytic let down through the roof on a mat didn't ask for for anything yet Jesus not only forgave him but had him skipping out of there.
The lost coin had no clue it was lost....yet it was found.
The prodigal son figured he was on a winner if he could be a servant but the Father wouldn't have it. The Father never questioned his son's sonship....forgiveness here also is evident before it was asked for.
The thief on the cross was happy to settle for being remembered....Jesus's reply blew everything he knew about God out of the water.
Those (Priests, Soldiers, Rulers) who accused and abused Jesus he prayed for to be forgiven....none of them asked....none of them expected it.

God is not a trader. Gratuity oozes in abundance from the heart of God.

If we do not forgive it is because we do not believe we are forgiven in real terms. We might mouth the words and debate our theologies yet what is in our heads has not slipped into our hearts; this I believe is what Jesus was speaking of in Matthew 6:14-15

But QTpie, that's Universalism. And we know that is not true.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure out what it is in my post that isn't true

Motive. Jesus forgave the centurions who crucified Him because they "knew not what they were doing." That is the key to whether it is a willful sin or not. Just like Philippians 3:16. They were to live up to what they knew. So if they were doing something unintentionally, the blood of Jesus covered it. That is the difference between sins unto death, and sins NOT unto death.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Motive. Jesus forgave the centurions who crucified Him because they "knew not what they were doing." That is the key to whether it is a willful sin or not. Just like Philippians 3:16. They were to live up to what they knew. So if they were doing something unintentionally, the blood of Jesus covered it. That is the difference between sins unto death, and sins NOT unto death.
I think Jesus was praying for all who were involved in his execution. It is consistent with his teaching of loving those who persecute you and doing good to those who despitefully use you.....so you may be sons of your Father in heaven. It is the highest bar if we can use that expression.
The other circumstances or events I used to illustrate God forgives gratuitously illustrates this also. God does not require payment of any sorts as a pretext to forgive...think about it.

Now I know many will counter this with 'yeah but he needs blood'....that line of thinking, but again I would ask, think about it....why would he need blood?.....I'm familiar with the possible answers but I also think these haven't been thought through adequately.

Satan invented the trading system the whole world thinks is normal.... Ezekiel 28...verse eighteen highlighted.
There is more to be said about this....later

Oh, and for the record, I am not a Universalist.

Reactions: marks

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines

Forgiveness. Must we forgive ALL sins against us?

The short answer to that is yes.

That is love. That is wise. That is good. That is pleasing to God.

My question to you is, can we do that? If you can, will you do that? If not, why not?

Tong

R4000

Reactions: ChristisGod

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now I know many will counter this with 'yeah but he needs blood'....that line of thinking, but again I would ask, think about it....why would he need blood?.....I'm familiar with the possible answers but I also think these haven't been thought through adequately.

I agree. I remember that Mormons have this. I looked it up on google:

Blood atonement is a disputed doctrine in the history of Mormonism, under which the atonement of Jesus does not redeem an eternal sin. To atone for an eternal sin, the sinner should be killed in a way that allows his blood to be shed upon the ground as a sacrificial offering, so he does not become a son of perdition.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
look the Lord's not stupid He knows your limits. if you can't shake it so to speak then take it before the Lord ask for mercy for not only yourself but the soul you have cause with. express your feelings on the matter if it suits you but the Lord already knows.

understand it is sufficient to ask God to have mercy on those who have offended you done you wrong so on and so forth. note Jesus when on the cross didn't say He forgave them, He ask His Father in Heaven to forgive them. because legitimately God is the Judge. when you ask Him to have mercy on some one then you are in agreement with Him if He does.
It is an absolute lie when you say Christ didn't forgive the people who were mocking Him:

"When they hurled their insults at him(Christ), he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly." - 1 Pet. 2:23

You're overlooking what is obvious about the kind of attitude Christ displayed in that moment. He asked His Father to forgive those people because Christ didn't want to be presumptuous enough to think He was as willing to shrug it off. The fact that Christ said "they don't know what they're doing" in and of itself says He chalked it up as them doing it out of ignorance.

Now here's why the Bible says you couldn't be more wrong when you say it's perfectly fine to just express your feelings with no restraints:

"Whoever has no rule over his own spirit is like a city broken down, without walls." - Pro. 25:28

"If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless." -Jas. 1:26

And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself." - Jas. 3:6

"I said to myself, “I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say. I will hold my tongue when the ungodly are around me.” - Psa. 39:1

“But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment." - Matt. 12:36

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise."- Luk. 6:27-28, 31

Social media is a toxic hotbed because it is full of carnal-minded people who express their feelings with little or no regard for other people. Human limitations doesn't get to be an excuse for anyone who claims to be a Christian because Christ showed through His own conduct how they're supposed to handle being the target of lawless behavior. If Christ managed to overcome the temptation to retaliate, there's no reason why anyone else who has the Holy Spirit can't do the same thing.

Reactions: Brakelite

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is an absolute lie when you say Christ didn't forgive the people who were mocking Him:

"When they hurled their insults at him(Christ), he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly." - 1 Pet. 2:23

You're overlooking what is obvious about the kind of attitude Christ displayed in that moment. He asked His Father to forgive those people because Christ didn't want to be presumptuous enough to think He was as willing to shrug it off. The fact that Christ said "they don't know what they're doing" in and of itself says He chalked it up as them doing it out of ignorance.

Now here's why the Bible says you couldn't be more wrong when you say it's perfectly fine to just express your feelings with no restraints:

"Whoever has no rule over his own spirit is like a city broken down, without walls." - Pro. 25:28

"If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless." -Jas. 1:26

And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself." - Jas. 3:6

"I said to myself, “I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say. I will hold my tongue when the ungodly are around me.” - Psa. 39:1

“But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment." - Matt. 12:36

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise."- Luk. 6:27-28, 31

Social media is a toxic hotbed because it is full of carnal-minded people who express their feelings with little or no regard for other people. Human limitations doesn't get to be an excuse for anyone who claims to be a Christian because Christ showed through His own conduct how they're supposed to handle being the target of lawless behavior. If Christ managed to overcome the temptation to retaliate, there's no reason why anyone else who has the Holy Spirit can't do the same thing.

ok hot shot if you can do the same as Jesus let me know when people are diving at your feet to be healed or be released from some demon and the like, ok.

you really don't get it, and Jesus never said to those who were hanging Him "i forgive you" or anything of that effect did He now? you are putting words in to Jesus mouth that aren't there. you have no proof He forgave directly, there is documentation that He asked His Father to forgive them, and that's were i stand on that, what the testimony of the writer said.

you speak like you're the consummate Christian, sorry, Jesus is the consummate Christian, and He when hanging on the cross asked His Father to forgive them when He didn't say He forgave them. you seem to be ignorant that God is the one who does that which one is not able to do ones self, and Jesus always said He did nothing of Himself, hence Jesus' example to those who are children of God. asking the Father to do what one is not able, is the correct way, of which you seem by your posting you know nothing about. only your version of speculative inexperience with such burdens on the heart.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. I remember that Mormons have this. I looked it up on google:

Blood atonement is a disputed doctrine in the history of Mormonism, under which the atonement of Jesus does not redeem an eternal sin. To atone for an eternal sin, the sinner should be killed in a way that allows his blood to be shed upon the ground as a sacrificial offering, so he does not become a son of perdition.
For the record “disputed” is not an accurate word. Rather, This idea has been blatently shot down as false.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the way that I forgive, I will be forgiven.
If I've forgiven someone who hated me, I will love them.
If I've forgiven someone who cursed me, I will bless them.
If I've forgiven someone who mistreated me, I will pray for them.
If I've forgiven someone who stole from me, I will give to them.
Forgiveness is a decision. Feelings will follow, sooner or later.
My decision to forgive is manifest by my actions.
This is my understanding of forgiveness.

Reactions: Wynona

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have the answer to your question==Matthew 6:14-15

Outstanding post!

Those who like to play semantic games and avoid general truths, often set a standard designed to fail the general truth. EXAMPLE: The above verse does not say “all” sins have to be forgiven.

While true, it is irrelevant as that is what the verse means.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In the way that I forgive, I will be forgiven.
If I've forgiven someone who hated me, I will love them.
If I've forgiven someone who cursed me, I will bless them.
If I've forgiven someone who mistreated me, I will pray for them.
If I've forgiven someone who stole from me, I will give to them.
Forgiveness is a decision. Feelings will follow, sooner or later.
My decision to forgive is manifest by my actions.
This is my understanding of forgiveness.
In all things Jesus is preeminent. We do not influence God to forgive us because we forgive...it is the other way around....we forgive because we have been forgiven. Turning the order around is the objective of the devil and it sets precedents which result in focus on self.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Josh27

Aug 14, 2021
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In all things Jesus is preeminent. We do not influence God to forgive us because we forgive...it is the other way around....we forgive because we have been forgiven. Turning the order around is the objective of the devil and it sets precedents which result in focus on self.
In response to this admonition and command from Christ, how about if you give us an example of how you personally have turned the other cheek within the last, say, two months.

Regards.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

God didn't wait for repentance before dying and forgiving. Not more than God. Same as God.