Friend of God and a Son of God, what's the difference?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, the Bible does teach there is a difference between being a friend of God or a son of God. This distinction can be found in both the Old and New Testaments. Isaiah 41:8 (NIV), “But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham my friend…” James 2:23 (ESV), “… ‘Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness’–and he was called a friend of God.”

In the Old Testament, the closest relationship God had with a man or woman was as a friend of God. Even Moses was called a friend. Exodus 33:11, “So the LORD spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend…”

In the Gospels, Jesus spoke to His followers as friends, but not as sons of God. John 15:15 (NKJV), “No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.” In summary, some benefits of friendship with God are receiving a clearer understanding of God’s will, being led by God, being used by God to do His will.
However, after Jesus died for our sins, people could be forgiven and thereby justified (made right) from God’s perspective. Jesus opened a new and living way. Hebrews 10:19-20 (ESV), “Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh”.

This narrow way (Matthew 7:14) is the call to follow only God’s will. When God accepts this consecration, the believer is begotten by the Holy Spirit as a new creature. At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit was first given to believers and it was then that they became sons of God as new creatures.
What are the benefits of being a son of God?

Presently, true Christians have peace, hope, joy, answered prayers, and guidance. They have the great privilege of communion with the supreme Creator as their personal father. If faithful, these sons of God will be part of the little flock, the true Church of God, the Bride of Christ. Revelation 17:14 (NKJV), “those who are with Him (Jesus) are called, chosen, and faithful.” (See also Revelation 2:10.) They will be resurrected with the divine nature. (2 Peter 1:4, 1 John 3:2)

What will happen to God's friends of old and to the majority of mankind? Jesus died for all mankind and God loves everyone. In the resurrection, most people will learn to love righteousness and will conscrate their all to God. They will become perfect human sons (as was Adam, Luke 3:38). God's plan has always been to bless everyone during Christ’s reign on Earth. Genesis 12:3 (KJV), “…in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Friend of God and a Son of God, what's the difference?​

Context.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, the Bible does teach there is a difference between being a friend of God or a son of God. This distinction can be found in both the Old and New Testaments. Isaiah 41:8 (NIV), “But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham my friend…” James 2:23 (ESV), “… ‘Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness’–and he was called a friend of God.”

In the Old Testament, the closest relationship God had with a man or woman was as a friend of God. Even Moses was called a friend. Exodus 33:11, “So the LORD spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend…”

In the Gospels, Jesus spoke to His followers as friends, but not as sons of God. John 15:15 (NKJV), “No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.” In summary, some benefits of friendship with God are receiving a clearer understanding of God’s will, being led by God, being used by God to do His will.

However, after Jesus died for our sins, people could be forgiven and thereby justified (made right) from God’s perspective. Jesus opened a new and living way. Hebrews 10:19-20 (ESV), “Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh”.

This narrow way (Matthew 7:14) is the call to follow only God’s will. When God accepts this consecration, the believer is begotten by the Holy Spirit as a new creature. At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit was first given to believers and it was then that they became sons of God as new creatures.

What are the benefits of being a son of God?

Presently, true Christians have peace, hope, joy, answered prayers, and guidance. They have the great privilege of communion with the supreme Creator as their personal father. If faithful, these sons of God will be part of the little flock, the true Church of God, the Bride of Christ. Revelation 17:14 (NKJV), “those who are with Him (Jesus) are called, chosen, and faithful.” (See also Revelation 2:10.) They will be resurrected with the divine nature. (2 Peter 1:4, 1 John 3:2)

What will happen to God's friends of old and to the majority of mankind? Jesus died for all mankind and God loves everyone. In the resurrection, most people will learn to love righteousness and will conscrate their all to God. They will become perfect human sons (as was Adam, Luke 3:38). God's plan has always been to bless everyone during Christ’s reign on Earth. Genesis 12:3 (KJV), “…in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

All angels, and all humans for that matter are sons of God. A friend of God of course is one who obeys Him, such as Abraham. (James 2:23) . . .“Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,” and he came to be called Jehovah’s friend.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All angels, and all humans for that matter are sons of God. A friend of God of course is one who obeys Him, such as Abraham. (James 2:23) . . .“Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,” and he came to be called Jehovah’s friend.
Indeed, Abraham is a friend of God as per James 2:23, but where do you find that of angels? Aren't angels ministering servants?

Hebrews 1:14 reads:

Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Teaching your church's false doctrines again?

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of the Old Testament patriarchs are called "sons of God". There is not ONE verse that describes them as one. The burden of proof is on you.

RR

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, Abraham is a friend of God as per James 2:23, but where do you find that of angels? Aren't angels ministering servants?

Hebrews 1:14 reads:

Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Teaching your church's false doctrines again?
Some things are commons sense sir, why did you not post that they were God's sons? So on the same token, where does it say they are not His friends? Do you not feel He feels the same way as Jesus who said:
(Matthew 12:50) . . .For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, that one is my brother and sister and mother.”

If you believe we have a false doctrine Jun, post it, I am always here to explain our beliefs sir.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of the Old Testament patriarchs are called "sons of God". There is not ONE verse that describes them as one. The burden of proof is on you.

RR
I know your superior knowledge R, you know for a fact that the Bible refers to both Adam and Jesus as sons of God sir. Luke 3:38 Mat 27:43. So I gather this is a difference sir, might be an identifier correct? Do you believe that satan and the demons are not God's sons as well?

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know your superior knowledge R, you know for a fact that the Bible refers to both Adam and Jesus as sons of God sir. Luke 3:38 Mat 27:43. So I gather this is a difference sir, might be an identifier correct? Do you believe that satan and the demons are not God's sons as well?
Luke refers to Adam as a "son of God" from a genealogy point of view. He lost that status when he sinned. We know Jesus was the Son of God. What I am referring to are the Old Testament patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and all the other faithful servants of old. NONE of them are referred to as Sons of God, at best they were Friends of God. Only those of the Elect are referred to as Sons of God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Luke refers to Adam as a "son of God" from a genealogy point of view. He lost that status when he sinned. We know Jesus was the Son of God. What I am referring to are the Old Testament patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and all the other faithful servants of old. NONE of them are referred to as Sons of God, at best they were Friends of God. Only those of the Elect are referred to as Sons of God.
Abraham wasn't an elect?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't matter, you and I both believe we are descendants of Adam, who was in writing to be one of God's sons. It is just a title, and I believe we are. I showed you where the anointed are referred to as sons of God, you either accept it or not. So we have disagreed on this.

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't matter, you and I both believe we are descendants of Adam, who was in writing to be one of God's sons. It is just a title, and I believe we are. I showed you where the anointed are referred to as sons of God, you either accept it or not. So we have disagreed on this.
Well Bill, we're ALL children of God. And if you want to get technical, we're actually all children of Jesus. After all. Jesus did create everything according to Colossians 1.

In the spiritual sense. The elect are referred to as "Sons of God". The Old Testament patriarchs are not referred to as such. They were "friends of God." The elect were adopted as sons. (Eph 1:5)

RR

Last edited:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some things are commons sense sir, why did you not post that they were God's sons? So on the same token, where does it say they are not His friends? Do you not feel He feels the same way as Jesus who said:
(Matthew 12:50) . . .For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, that one is my brother and sister and mother.
Common sense, alright. Only those who are born again will do Father's will and angels are ministering spirits who obeys Father's will. Big difference. you see.
”If you believe we have a false doctrine Jun, post it, I am always here to explain our beliefs sir.
You may be able to explain away false doctrines and one of them is the disbelief of the deity of Jesus. YOU are greatly mistaken, however!

Colossians 1:16-17 reads:

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Bob, we're ALL children of God. And if you want to get technical, we're actually all children of Jesus. After all. Jesus did create everything according to Colossians 1.
Yes, Jesus did create everything, but not everyone is a child of God especially those who are unsaved.
In the spiritual sense. The elect are referred to as "Sons of God". The Old Testament patriarchs are not referred to as such. They were "friends of God." The elect were adopted as sons. (Eph 1:5)
The Old Testament saints are too "Sons of God." They were elected in eternity past, before the foundation of the world, like any other saved person.

To God Be The Glory

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Jesus did create everything, but not everyone is a child of God especially those who are unsaved.

The Old Testament saints are too "Sons of God." They were elected in eternity past, before the foundation of the world, like any other saved person.

To God Be The Glory
Scriptural support please

Reactions: Patrick1966

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How about sharing some scriptures
Matthew 8:11.... 'But I say unto you, that many shall come from the east and west and shall sit down at the table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven'