From Mess To Message

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thursday 9-16-21 Tishri 8, 5782 5th. day of the weekly cycle, 88th. Summer Day

Our Daily Bread Today 16th September 2021 Devotional – From Mess to Message

Our-Daily-Bread.jpg

Our Daily Bread Today 16th September 2021 Devotional Message By James Banks (Our Daily Bread Ministries)

Click Here To Read Previous ODB Ministries Devotional

Topic: From Mess to Message

Today’s Scripture: Mark 5:1–20

Key Verse: Tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you. – Mark 5:19

Bible in a Year: Proverbs 25–26; 2 Corinthians 9

INSIGHT: Jesus has power over all creation, as is clear from today’s passage (Mark 5:1–20). This includes the spiritual world as well. The owners of the pigs would have suffered a large loss when their herd was destroyed in an instant. But we might wonder how the Jewish observers reacted.

Bible teacher D. A. Carson makes the point that Jesus’ Jewish audience would have seen the loss of the pigs as of little consequence. Pigs were considered unclean animals (Leviticus 11:7). In 167 bc, Syrian tyrant Antiochus IV (Antiochus Epiphanes) had even sacrificed a pig on the altar in the temple—a despicable act of sacrilege in Jewish eyes.

Charles Stanley In Touch Daily Devotional 16 September 2021 – God’s Provision

Our Daily Bread Today 16th September 2021 Devotional Message:
Darryl was a baseball legend who nearly destroyed his life with drugs. But Jesus set him free, and he’s been clean for years. Today he helps others struggling with addiction and points them to faith. Looking back, he affirms that God turned his mess into a message.

Nothing is too hard for God. When Jesus came ashore near a cemetery after a stormy night on the Sea of Galilee with His disciples, a man possessed by darkness immediately approached Him. Jesus spoke to the demons inside him, drove them away, and set him free.

When Jesus left, the man begged to go along. But Jesus didn’t allow it, because He had work for him to do: “Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you” (Mark 5:19).

We never see the man again, but Scripture shows us something intriguing. The people of that region had fearfully pleaded with Jesus “to leave” (v. 17), but the next time He returned there, a large crowd gathered (8:1).

Could the crowd have resulted from Jesus sending the man home? Could it be that he, once dominated by darkness, became one of the first missionaries, effectively communicating Jesus’ power to save?

We’ll never know this side of heaven, but this much is clear. When God sets us free to serve Him, He can turn even a messy past into a message of hope and love.

Reflect & Pray
What has Jesus set you free from? How can you share with others what He’s done for you?

Beautiful Savior, I praise You for Your amazing power! No darkness can stand against You! Help me to walk in Your light today.

Rick Warren Devotional 16 September 2021 Daily Hope – Testing Comes Before Blessing

Our Daily Bread Today 16th September 2021 Devotional Message. Our Daily Bread Ministries (ODB) is a Christian organization founded by Dr. Martin De Haan in 1938. It is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with over 600 employees. It produces several devotional publications, including Our Daily Bread.

(Visited 6 times, 6 visits today)
Tags: our Daily Bread 2021

Our Daily Bread (odb.org)

https://odb.org/video

Love always, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thursday 9-16-21 Tishri 8, 5782 5th. day of the weekly cycle, 88th. Summer Day

Our Daily Bread Today 16th September 2021 Devotional – From Mess to Message

Our-Daily-Bread.jpg

Our Daily Bread Today 16th September 2021 Devotional Message By James Banks (Our Daily Bread Ministries)

Click Here To Read Previous ODB Ministries Devotional

Topic: From Mess to Message

Today’s Scripture: Mark 5:1–20

Key Verse: Tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you. – Mark 5:19

Bible in a Year: Proverbs 25–26; 2 Corinthians 9

INSIGHT: Jesus has power over all creation, as is clear from today’s passage (Mark 5:1–20). This includes the spiritual world as well. The owners of the pigs would have suffered a large loss when their herd was destroyed in an instant. But we might wonder how the Jewish observers reacted.

Bible teacher D. A. Carson makes the point that Jesus’ Jewish audience would have seen the loss of the pigs as of little consequence. Pigs were considered unclean animals (Leviticus 11:7). In 167 bc, Syrian tyrant Antiochus IV (Antiochus Epiphanes) had even sacrificed a pig on the altar in the temple—a despicable act of sacrilege in Jewish eyes.

Charles Stanley In Touch Daily Devotional 16 September 2021 – God’s Provision

Our Daily Bread Today 16th September 2021 Devotional Message:
Darryl was a baseball legend who nearly destroyed his life with drugs. But Jesus set him free, and he’s been clean for years. Today he helps others struggling with addiction and points them to faith. Looking back, he affirms that God turned his mess into a message.

Nothing is too hard for God. When Jesus came ashore near a cemetery after a stormy night on the Sea of Galilee with His disciples, a man possessed by darkness immediately approached Him. Jesus spoke to the demons inside him, drove them away, and set him free.

When Jesus left, the man begged to go along. But Jesus didn’t allow it, because He had work for him to do: “Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you” (Mark 5:19).

We never see the man again, but Scripture shows us something intriguing. The people of that region had fearfully pleaded with Jesus “to leave” (v. 17), but the next time He returned there, a large crowd gathered (8:1).

Could the crowd have resulted from Jesus sending the man home? Could it be that he, once dominated by darkness, became one of the first missionaries, effectively communicating Jesus’ power to save?

We’ll never know this side of heaven, but this much is clear. When God sets us free to serve Him, He can turn even a messy past into a message of hope and love.

Reflect & Pray
What has Jesus set you free from? How can you share with others what He’s done for you?

Beautiful Savior, I praise You for Your amazing power! No darkness can stand against You! Help me to walk in Your light today.

Rick Warren Devotional 16 September 2021 Daily Hope – Testing Comes Before Blessing

Our Daily Bread Today 16th September 2021 Devotional Message. Our Daily Bread Ministries (ODB) is a Christian organization founded by Dr. Martin De Haan in 1938. It is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with over 600 employees. It produces several devotional publications, including Our Daily Bread.

(Visited 6 times, 6 visits today)
Tags: our Daily Bread 2021

Our Daily Bread (odb.org)

https://odb.org/video

Love always, Walter and Debbie
I have sought healing for my mental disorder I suffer from and have never received an answer. I think some things God waits for after the resurrection. But I have also been healed and could see after I was made not to be able to see. And I've seen others healed. God has power to heal and there are stories all over the internet of God healing and bringing people back to life. He doesn't always do it, but when he does it really shows his love for us.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have sought healing for my mental disorder I suffer from and have never received an answer. I think some things God waits for after the resurrection. But I have also been healed and could see after I was made not to be able to see. And I've seen others healed. God has power to heal and there are stories all over the internet of God healing and bringing people back to life. He doesn't always do it, but when he does it really shows his love for us.
During February, 2000, after struggling with major depression, I took a massive drug overdose in a sincere effort to end a lifetime of mental illness. That being major depression.
I survived, albeit with an acquired brain injury. I went to a 5-day Christian retreat and had a turning point in my life. It's been battle after battle ever since, but in early 2019, I finally overcame depression. There's been battles since, but I am glad to be alive.
Every morning, I finish my proclamations by saying: "This is the day that the Lord has made; I will be glad and rejoice in it!"
When He planned this day, He had me in mind. I'm supposed to be alive today. He provides for me today. He is ever-aware of me. Nothing happens to me today that we cannot get through. Thank You, Lord, for today!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
During February, 2000, after struggling with major depression, I took a massive drug overdose in a sincere effort to end a lifetime of mental illness. That being major depression.
I survived, albeit with an acquired brain injury. I went to a 5-day Christian retreat and had a turning point in my life. It's been battle after battle ever since, but in early 2019, I finally overcame depression. There's been battles since, but I am glad to be alive.
Every morning, I finish my proclamations by saying: "This is the day that the Lord has made; I will be glad and rejoice in it!"
When He planned this day, He had me in mind. I'm supposed to be alive today. He provides for me today. He is ever-aware of me. Nothing happens to me today that we cannot get through. Thank You, Lord, for today!
I have overcome depression thru the gift of the Holy Spirit comforter. I receive peace, love and joy often and the peace has replaced the depression. But I still suffer from schizophrenia and that hasn't changed. I take meds for it and that works for me.

Reactions: Truman

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm happy you decided to take life on life's terms instead of ending your life. I got to know you a little and it has been a pleasure :)

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In early 2019 I body-slammed a familiar spirit after unknowingly wrestling with it for most of 2018.
My Grampa was a Freemason, Orange Order. This brought a curse on my family, which in turn led to me being demonized.
Breaking generational curses was part of my getting free from the enemy.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In early 2019 I body-slammed a familiar spirit after unknowingly wrestling with it for most of 2018.
My Grampa was a Freemason, Orange Order. This brought a curse on my family, which in turn led to me being demonized.
Breaking generational curses was part of my getting free from the enemy.
Not sure I understand what you said since spirits can't be body slammed. Can they?

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not sure I understand what you said since spirits can't be body slammed. Can they?
I guess because I have a spirit body, and Jesus lives in my spirit, I was able to throw it down. And throw it down, I did, man! Whack!
It was like I was arm-wrestling someone and put them down. I didn't realize it until afterwards when I realized it was like I'd wrestled an invisible person. Then I remembered Derek Prince saying a demon was a person without a body. I put 1 plus 1 together and voila!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I guess because I have a spirit body, and Jesus lives in my spirit, I was able to throw it down. And throw it down, I did, man! Whack!
It was like I was arm-wrestling someone and put them down. I didn't realize it until afterwards when I realized it was like I'd wrestled an invisible person. Then I remembered Derek Prince saying a demon was a person without a body. I put 1 plus 1 together and voila!
I'm aware of a discussion where some Christians believe schizophrenia is a biological disorder, while some say it is demonic in origin, while yet other speculate that it may be a combination of both. The same thing is said about major depression.
The human being is a complex organism, understood by God alone. Having a close relationship with Him is what has got me through. Believers can be well-meaning, while ignorant of the facts, and this can be devastating on one who has a little-understood disorder.
I've gone through a lot of inner work by God and I may have more questions now than I did 21 years ago.
As followers of Jesus, we are called to love one another, not play doctor and diagnose others. This is a main problem in 12-step programs and my life and reputation have been devastated by amateur doctors. I have no desire to experiment on others.
I work my own program.
Christians need their own version of the Hippocratic Oath.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm aware of a discussion where some Christians believe schizophrenia is a biological disorder, while some say it is demonic in origin, while yet other speculate that it may be a combination of both. The same thing is said about major depression.
The human being is a complex organism, understood by God alone. Having a close relationship with Him is what has got me through. Believers can be well-meaning, while ignorant of the facts, and this can be devastating on one who has a little-understood disorder.
I've gone through a lot of inner work by God and I may have more questions now than I did 21 years ago.
As followers of Jesus, we are called to love one another, not play doctor and diagnose others. This is a main problem in 12-step programs and my life and reputation has been devastated by amateur doctors. I have no desire to experiment on others.
I work my own program.
People that say schizophrenia is a demonic possession are crack pots trying to sell snake oil. I have medication which alleviates the schizophrenia. Medicine works, while people trying to cast out schizophrenia does not. Schizophrenia can be cyclic and come and go, when not on meds I have times of total sanity and times where I'm completely insane. So to understand, someone trying to cast out the schizophrenic demonic possession might just do it at a moment when someone regains their sanity temporarily. And then thinking they're successful moves on only to leave the schizophrenic in a stupid state of not understanding that they need medication from a real doctor. It's barbaric, ignorant and downright hurtful for people to say schizophrenia is demonic.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
People that say schizophrenia is a demonic possession are crack pots trying to sell snake oil. I have medication which alleviates the schizophrenia. Medicine works, while people trying to cast out schizophrenia does not. Schizophrenia can be cyclic and come and go, when not on meds I have times of total sanity and times where I'm completely insane. So to understand, someone trying to cast out the schizophrenic demonic possession might just do it at a moment when someone regains their sanity temporarily. And then thinking they're successful moves on only to leave the schizophrenic in a stupid state of not understanding that they need medication from a real doctor. It's barbaric, ignorant and downright hurtful for people to say schizophrenia is demonic.
I thought you might've also encountered this stuff! I had an overweight friend. One night, some people tried to cast out a spirit of hippopotamus from him. Lol His problem was that he ate too much! He was mildly irritated by them. He knew better!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As followers of Jesus, we are called to love one another, not play doctor and diagnose others. This is a main problem in 12-step programs and my life and reputation have been devastated by amateur doctors. I have no desire to experiment on others.
I work my own program.
Truman, this passage relates to snake oil:

Matthew 7:21-23

King James Version

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought you might've also encountered this stuff! I had an overweight friend. One night, some people tried to cast out a spirit of hippopotamus from him. Lol His problem was that he ate too much! He was mildly irritated by them. He knew better!
Schizophrenia has a history of people trying to drill holes in the sufferers head to release demons in days of old. Totally barbaric and not helpful. The atrocities that have been committed against the mentally ill is vast and totally offensive. All in the name of Christianity. Not to mention the old shock therapy which is still practiced by some people. The Catholic church has a history of offense in the name of Christianity also. I think this is also what the Lord was saying when he will say "I never knew you, depart from me, ye that work iniquity" Matthew 7:23

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I had what amounted to devil-worshippers in my immediate ancestry, and I was involved in seances and Ouija board at the age of five. I was a very heavy user of LSD while a teenager and was demonized because of it. I had a panic attack that lasted 2 years.
I had a very powerful deliverance session in 2000 and learned how to self-deliver, with the Holy Spirit's help, of course!
My ancestry is full of devil-worshippers; it's why God kicked them out of Israel. Though I'm starting to think that my Levite ancestor was of the southern kingdom and was caught up in the Assyrian captivity. Along with some of Benjamin too!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had what amounted to devil-worshippers in my immediate ancestry, and I was involved in seances and Ouija board at the age of five. I was a very heavy user of LSD while a teenager and was demonized because of it. I had a panic attack that lasted 2 years.
I had a very powerful deliverance session in 2000 and learned how to self-deliver, with the Holy Spirit's help, of course!
My ancestry is full of devil-worshippers; it's why God kicked them out of Israel. Though I'm starting to think that my Levite ancestor was of the southern kingdom and was caught up in the Assyrian captivity. Along with some of Benjamin too!
I had a spiritual darkness and was a wild child as a youth. I was not a good person and still struggle to be a good person. I'm doing much better though. But demonic possession means you will be evil and do evil. It doesn't mean you'll act crazy. The bible spells out the aggression of the possessed coming out of the tomb.

Matthew 8:28 And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.

They were violent people. Anyways, when I was a youth I got into trouble and because of it fasted for three days straight. At the end of the three days a darkness was cast out of me by God. It was the beginning of my enlightenment towards Jesus. I believe I was possessed to some degree. But I didn't get schizophrenia till years later.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I had a spiritual darkness and was a wild child as a youth. I was not a good person and still struggle to be a good person. I'm doing much better though. But demonic possession means you will be evil and do evil. It doesn't mean you'll act crazy. The bible spells out the aggression of the possessed coming out of the tomb.

Matthew 8:28 And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.

They were violent people. Anyways, when I was a youth I got into trouble and because of it fasted for three days straight. At the end of the three days a darkness was cast out of me by God. It was the beginning of my enlightenment towards Jesus. I believe I was possessed to some degree. But I didn't get schizophrenia till years later.
What I'm talking about is not possession, but rather oppression. There is a problem with translation that Derek Prince deals with in one of his videos. He shows that often when Jesus dealt with a demon, it only manifested when He was in contact with it.
Most of the people he dealt with were average people, not possessed tomb-dwellers. Hollywood has distorted the whole subject, not surprisingly.
A Christian cannot be possessed, as their born-again spirit is occupied by the Holy Spirit. This subject is woefully understood by much of the church. Needing deliverance does not make one a bad person.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I'm talking about is not possession, but rather oppression. There is a problem with translation that Derek Prince deals with in one of his videos. He shows that often when Jesus dealt with a demon, it only manifested when He was in contact with it.
Most of the people he dealt with were average people, not possessed tomb-dwellers. Hollywood has distorted the whole subject, not surprisingly.
A Christian cannot be possessed, as their born-again spirit is occupied by the Holy Spirit. This subject is woefully understood by much of the church. Needing deliverance does not make one a bad person.
Many Christians are demon oppressed including Paul the apostle. Yes I'm aware born agains are unlikely to become possessed due to God in them.

2 Corinthians 12:6-8

King James Version

6 For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There's a few different interpretations of that. When I wrote, "I've got a tear in my eye, I've got a thorn in my side," I was referring to my spinal chord injury, but some of the brethren have proved most harmful to me.