From Nut to Minister

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a friend who I call "Brother Douggie" who use to work with me as a machine operator in my factory. The common consensus with adults about the guy was that he is a nut. He got a ministers license online and boldly announced he was leaving his high paying job for the ministry. Nobody believed he would do well. Doug opened an abandoned church which the owners let him open free of charge. Surprisingly enough Doug has done very well! One of the ladies at church took heart to begin youth ministry and with it came the adults...

40089045_1869863533102126_8385743424317292544_n.jpg

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doug calls himself Methodist but the church shingle says Baptist. I really don’t believe he understands the difference and probably has never heard of a John Calvin or Jacobus Arminius. Doug has also no further education than a high school diploma.... If he got that! But he is a jolly soul who loves Jesus.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God called highly educated men like Paul, (perhaps) uneducated fishermen like Andrew and Peter, "ruthless" publicans like Matthew, cowardly "mighty men of valor" like Gideon... Men from all walks of life. Why not a "nut"?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doug calls himself Methodist but the church shingle says Baptist. I really don’t believe he understands the difference and probably has never heard of a John Calvin or Jacobus Arminius. Doug has also no further education than a high school diploma.... If he got that! But he is a jolly soul who loves Jesus.
Is that bad? I really don't know the difference between Methodists and Baptists either. Are we in trouble with God, if we don't? Also, though I have heard of them, I do not know the difference between the teachings of John Calvin and Jacobus Arminius. But on that last sentence you spoke about Doug, I also love Jesus. Consider replacing Mary's name with that of Doug's:

"And Jesus answered and said unto him, Christian, Christian, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
But one thing is needful: and Doug hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from him." [as per Luke 10:41-42]

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm bait? Who would then be the intended prey who would so hunger for such a prophet, such a man? Is this how one might go about luring and catching a devil fish?

[The devil fish or giant devil ray is an endangered species of ray in the family Mobulidae. It is currently listed as endangered, mostly due to bycatch mortality in unrelated fisheries.]

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm bait? Who would then be the intended prey who would so hunger for such a prophet, such a man? Is this how one might go about luring and catching a devil fish?

[The devil fish or giant devil ray is an endangered species of ray in the family Mobulidae. It is currently listed as endangered, mostly due to bycatch mortality in unrelated fisheries.]

Hmm, both maybe? Bait to catch the fish and prey to get God's attention?? :)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sng 6:11, I went down into the garden of nuts to see the fruits of the valley, and to see whether the vine flourished, and the pomegranates budded.

Jenniferdiana3637

Dec 24, 2019
Marksville
www.jenaugustine.simplesite.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But no one needs any kind of education to minister! That's why the Lord gives us the holy spirit! The only guide to all truth. Any form of other education would probably just be worldly wisdom or knowledge..that can't help us with the truth since the word is Jesus and his spirit is truth and life only... education has nothing to do with it..the Lord empowers people with spiritual gifts not high school diplomas...

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother Doug fits the qualifications of a Bishop...

1. Husband of one wife- Who supports him in ministry
2. Family - Is supportive of son and grandchildren
3. Ego - Any boasting is over the church doing well
4. Sober
5. Charitable - No care of money and always cheerful
6. Soteriology - Always speaks of Jesus and the values of having him in the heart.

I know local ministers with Masters degrees who cannot connect the reality of their lack of character and the church not doing well. Any words I have had with Brother Doug are normally things like, “Glad your church is doing well!”

Last edited:

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have created a video tribute...

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm bait?
Jail Bait, :D for he did go to prison/hell in the belly of the Great fish. hey just trowing in my two cent worth.
Matthew 12:40 "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth". and he did preached to the Spirit in prison, 1 Peter 3:19.

on the serious side, 1 Corinthians 4:10 "We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised".

Good Topic

PICJAG.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have shared this with Brother Doug on his Facebook page and his reply.... “Thank you! I'm so glad I followed Jesus instead of the Methodist, won't say it been easy, but it has been very rewarding, Who Loves Ya Baby? Jesus!”

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Facebook conversation....

Me- I have posted a YouTube video tribute of you - hope it does a million views!
Doug - Love to be able to tell the whole story or my testimony
Me - I have heard that the only difference between the Baptist and the Methodist is that the Baptist do not believe in backsliding but the Methodist practice it!
Doug - Pentecostals are on the Methodist road, stop falling them, for if the Blind leading the Blind..