Funny money

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Luke 16:9 (New International Version)
9 I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.

I don't get it? Do you get it?

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
9 I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.

ha, nope! there are several inconsistencies in the story, "you owe a hundred? here, sit down and write fifty real quick" well it doesnt work like that, right? Then,
8The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly.
since when is that considered "shrewd?"
actually from pretty much the first line it is a weird tale, as i mean who would allow someone they suspect of theft to give an accounting of that nature anyway?Pretty sure that there is a hidden tale in there, sure love to hear it if you find it!

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Don't be a tight a.se .........you can benefit others with what you have.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello,

The NKJV read thus: -

Luke 16:9: - 9 "And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you/{it/that} fail{s}, they may receive you into an everlasting home.​

where the "they" refers back to the friends that are made by unrighteous mammon, and the everlasting home you are received into is the lake of fire.

The context of the parable where this verse is found is that unrighteousness does not get you a righteous reward.

Shalom

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This parable isn't all that well understood, but it's not that complicated when read in its historical context of the Lord preparing His disciples to become leaders in the future church.

I created a thread on it at Worthy. My explanation of the parable is provided in the last post, on Page 2. Parable of the Unjust Steward, but I can repost it here:

For starters, what Jesus was doing here was preparing the disciples for the time when they would take over leadership of the church. This is important to understand. As scripture records elsewhere:

28 Then Peter began to say unto him, "Behold, we have left all, and have followed thee." 29 And Jesus answered and said, "Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, 30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life." (Mark 10:28-30)

Who would the disciples receive these "lands, brethren, and houses" from? The prosperity people say that "God" will give them to you personally in exchange for giving to His work, but this is entirely foreign to the context. He was talking here about inheriting a new spiritual family of "brothers, sisters, mothers, children etc" when they became the heads of the church after His ascension into Heaven. As such, they would also inherit their lands and houses as well, not personally, mind you, but these would become the property of the entire family of God once many started coming into the fold. This would be fulfilled in the following verses:

32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need. (Acts 4:32-35)

This is what Jesus was preparing the disciples for. They would soon be reliant upon the support of a different "master," so to speak. The minute they began preaching Christ was raised from the dead the Jewish leadership would no longer support them, but rather decry them as heretics and liars. So they needed to wisely prepare in advance to be welcomed into the homes of those who would believe by giving to them now of their earthly substance - more specifically those who were likewise believing in Jesus but not walking as close to Jesus as the disciples were - to make themselves trustworthy in their eyes when the time came for them to become the leaders of the church.

This is thus the meaning of the parable. Let me quote it in full:

The Parable of the Unjust Steward
16 He also said to His disciples: “There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods. 2 So he called him and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.’

3 “Then the steward said within himself, ‘What shall I do? For my master is taking the stewardship away from me. I cannot dig; I am ashamed to beg. 4 I have resolved what to do, that when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.’

5 “So he called every one of his master’s debtors to him, and said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ 6 And he said, ‘A hundred measures of oil.’ So he said to him, ‘Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.’ 7 Then he said to another, ‘And how much do you owe?’ So he said, ‘A hundred measures of wheat.’ And he said to him, ‘Take your bill, and write eighty.’ 8 So the master commended the unjust steward because he had dealt shrewdly. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light.

9 “And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home. 10 He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much. 11 Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12 And if you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own?

13 “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.” (Luke 16:1-13)

The translation here is actually a little off. The phrase is actually, "that when you fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations (plural)". In other words, that "when you no longer have the support of the Jewish community, the faithful will receive you into their homes (plural), and take care of you like family." By giving to believers when they still had "little," they would prove themselves worthy of handing the "much" when they took over leadership.

The confusing part for many is where it says, So the master "praised" or "commended" the unjust steward because he had dealt shrewdly. The Greek word used here is ἐπῄνεσεν, which can also be translated as "complimented," or "congratulated," and does not necessarily carry a positive sense. Sort of a "well-done" in the sense of "Touche'. You might have been out on the street, but you managed to find yourself new people to welcome you in by cheating me one last time." It must be kept in mind that the phrase was a reference to the Pharisees and Jewish leadership, and how they would react to what the disciples did in earning the trust of the faithful in advance, and it is likely the Pharisees weren't too happy about it. But they would have to come to terms with the fact that the disciples were not at their mercy after they were denounced as heretics. Very quickly they were being supported by an entire family of believers in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and there was nothing the Jewish leadership could do about it.

Hidden In Him

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This parable isn't all that well understood, but it's not that complicated when read in its historical context of the Lord preparing His disciples to become leaders in the future church.

I created a thread on it at Worthy. My explanation of the parable is provided in the last post, on Page 2. Parable of the Unjust Steward, but I can repost it here:

For starters, what Jesus was doing here was preparing the disciples for the time when they would take over leadership of the church. This is important to understand. As scripture records elsewhere:

28 Then Peter began to say unto him, "Behold, we have left all, and have followed thee." 29 And Jesus answered and said, "Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, 30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life." (Mark 10:28-30)

Who would the disciples receive these "lands, brethren, and houses" from? The prosperity people say that "God" will give them to you personally in exchange for giving to His work, but this is entirely foreign to the context. He was talking here about inheriting a new spiritual family of "brothers, sisters, mothers, children etc" when they became the heads of the church after His ascension into Heaven. As such, they would also inherit their lands and houses as well, not personally, mind you, but these would become the property of the entire family of God once many started coming into the fold. This would be fulfilled in the following verses:

32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need. (Acts 4:32-35)

This is what Jesus was preparing the disciples for. They would soon be reliant upon the support of a different "master," so to speak. The minute they began preaching Christ was raised from the dead the Jewish leadership would no longer support them, but rather decry them as heretics and liars. So they needed to wisely prepare in advance to be welcomed into the homes of those who would believe by giving to them now of their earthly substance - more specifically those who were likewise believing in Jesus but not walking as close to Jesus as the disciples were - to make themselves trustworthy in their eyes when the time came for them to become the leaders of the church.

This is thus the meaning of the parable. Let me quote it in full:

The Parable of the Unjust Steward
16 He also said to His disciples: “There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods. 2 So he called him and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.’

3 “Then the steward said within himself, ‘What shall I do? For my master is taking the stewardship away from me. I cannot dig; I am ashamed to beg. 4 I have resolved what to do, that when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.’

5 “So he called every one of his master’s debtors to him, and said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ 6 And he said, ‘A hundred measures of oil.’ So he said to him, ‘Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.’ 7 Then he said to another, ‘And how much do you owe?’ So he said, ‘A hundred measures of wheat.’ And he said to him, ‘Take your bill, and write eighty.’ 8 So the master commended the unjust steward because he had dealt shrewdly. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light.

9 “And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home. 10 He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much. 11 Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12 And if you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own?

13 “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.” (Luke 16:1-13)

The translation here is actually a little off. The phrase is actually, "that when you fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations (plural)". In other words, that "when you no longer have the support of the Jewish community, the faithful will receive you into their homes (plural), and take care of you like family." By giving to believers when they still had "little," they would prove themselves worthy of handing the "much" when they took over leadership.

The confusing part for many is where it says, So the master "praised" or "commended" the unjust steward because he had dealt shrewdly. The Greek word used here is ἐπῄνεσεν, which can also be translated as "complimented," or "congratulated," and does not necessarily carry a positive sense. Sort of a "well-done" in the sense of "Touche'. You might have been out on the street, but you managed to find yourself new people to welcome you in by cheating me one last time." It must be kept in mind that the phrase was a reference to the Pharisees and Jewish leadership, and how they would react to what the disciples did in earning the trust of the faithful in advance, and it is likely the Pharisees weren't too happy about it. But they would have to come to terms with the fact that the disciples were not at their mercy after they were denounced as heretics. Very quickly they were being supported by an entire family of believers in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and there was nothing the Jewish leadership could do about it.

Hidden In Him

Too many words saying too many things and not answering the question Hidden.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
16 And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.

2 And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.

3 Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.

4 I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.

5 So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?

6 And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.

7 Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.

8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.

11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?

12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?

13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

14 And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.

15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

(This is the context in Luke 16...Good to read it all first...)

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I have a mental habit of recalling certain Bible verses when I am faced with difficult types of individuals. I have to move away from that habit at some point.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I have a mental habit of recalling certain Bible verses when I am faced with difficult types of individuals. I have to move away from that habit at some point.

Unflattering verses I assume?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What Jesus was saying is that even though money is "worldly wealthy" or "unrighteous mammon", it is essentially neutral. For believers it should be a means of propagating the Gospel, extending the Kingdom of God on earth, and doing good works (particularly focusing on needy Christians, widows, and orphans, since this is "pure religion"). And there is an eternal reward reserved in Heaven for those who use money wisely.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

The dishonest manager was being dishonest - but he did the wrong thing for the right reason, if you see what I mean. He was looking ahead to his (bleak) future and taking steps to ensure his wellbeing, by making friends who would then feel obliged to help him.
Jesus' point is: we are all heading for death and hell - so we need to do something about it. And for most of us, money is our god. So we need to get rid of as much of our money as we can, "making friends" of the poor, and then we can look forward (as Enoch has said) to an eternal reward.