G'day, Hoping to learn more about our Lord Jesus...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gumpy

Dec 10, 2022
Brockville
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello, my name is Mike. I've been watching and listening to segments on TikTok about our Lord.

My problem is back when I was a youngster, I joked, and never took it seriously when I was getting confirmation. And then I grew older and then several years ago, my wife and I were in a bad car accident. I now suffer from cognitive problems, and I have tried to read the bible and can't get passed the 1st chapter. I have read it 100 times and still don't remember much of it.

I'm trying every day to get to know the Lord, understand it and learn from it. I do believe, and I am a Christian.

I know I need a lot of learning but thought I could find a study, or somewhere I can get past the first chapter, and learn more about Jesus, God.

I guess the older you get, you get closer to Jesus, or at least I am... If, I am in the wrong place, please tell me gently, and I will move on.
Thank you,
Mike

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hello, my name is Mike. I've been watching and listening to segments on TikTok about our Lord.

My problem is back when I was a youngster, I joked, and never took it seriously when I was getting confirmation. And then I grew older and then several years ago, my wife and I were in a bad car accident. I now suffer from cognitive problems, and I have tried to read the bible and can't get passed the 1st chapter. I have read it 100 times and still don't remember much of it.

I'm trying every day to get to know the Lord, understand it and learn from it. I do believe, and I am a Christian.

I know I need a lot of learning but thought I could find a study, or somewhere I can get past the first chapter, and learn more about Jesus, God.

I guess the older you get, you get closer to Jesus, or at least I am... If, I am in the wrong place, please tell me gently, and I will move on.
Thank you,
Mike
ntmy Mike, im mark
an don worry imo, room full of professors here lol :)

BigJim

Dec 8, 2022
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Thank you,
Mike

Hello mike. I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Is it an issue with understanding what is written or forgetting what you have previously read?

There are a few things that can be done to help. There are loads of Bible translations, you could benefit from reading a different one or many at a time which you could test yourself to see if you remember any differences. I recommend the NLT, NASB , ESV translations, I would stay away from ones you find difficult until you have read the whole Bible.

You can also get audio Bible and commentary ones. Stick it on the radio or TV and have it on during the day, the brain will keep working even if you think it isn't.

Do not worry yourself with perfect understanding, we can not achieve this, we can only do our best. Some people can after many years of daily work be able to know what a verse says without looking, they may know exactly what page it's on and may know the next verse and verse before it off by heart. I wouldn't worry about this. You do the best you can do. As long as effort is involved you are trying.

I would also suggest starting reading at different places. It doesn't have to be page one. The bible isn't in chronological order anyway.

Gumpy

Dec 10, 2022
Brockville
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello mike. I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Is it an issue with understanding what is written or forgetting what you have previously read?

There are a few things that can be done to help. There are loads of Bible translations, you could benefit from reading a different one or many at a time which you could test yourself to see if you remember any differences. I recommend the NLT, NASB , ESV translations, I would stay away from ones you find difficult until you have read the whole Bible.

You can also get audio Bible and commentary ones. Stick it on the radio or TV and have it on during the day, the brain will keep working even if you think it isn't.

Do not worry yourself with perfect understanding, we can not achieve this, we can only do our best. Some people can after many years of daily work be able to know what a verse says without looking, they may know exactly what page it's on and may know the next verse and verse before it off by heart. I wouldn't worry about this. You do the best you can do. As long as effort is involved you are trying.

I would also suggest starting reading at different places. It doesn't have to be page one. The bible isn't in chronological order anyway.
Thank you @BigJim, I am going to try that. My problem is I forget what I read. I used to be able to read instructions and do what I had to do... Now I can read instructions all day long, and not get anywhere, so usually try and build or put together whatever without instructions. And a lot of times I can't remember what I did yesterday... But I am learning that has a lot to do with rest. Like I got NO sleep last night, so it's gonna be a GREAT Saturday...
Also, have problems with remembering people or what they ask of me to do...

But, Buddy, I am going to try your ways of reading...

Reactions: GracefulWarrior
Nov 13, 2022
Honolulu
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Gumpy and Welcome to the CyB forums! :kiaora::pray:

Praying that God will reveal to you a much easier way for you to study His Word and to get to know Him more...

Have you ever used the "audio" Bible apps or online, etc.?

• Love
Reactions: Debp and Gumpy

Gumpy

Dec 10, 2022
Brockville
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Gumpy and Welcome to the CyB forums! :kiaora::pray:

Praying that God will reveal to you a much easier way for you to study His Word and to get to know Him more...

Have you ever used the "audio" Bible apps or online, etc.?
No @GracefulWarrior I have not, but I am going to try that, I have a Kings Bible on my cell phone which also has audio, so I am going to try, and see if I can remember... Thank you...

Nov 13, 2022
Honolulu
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No @GracefulWarrior I have not, but I am going to try that, I have a Kings Bible on my cell phone which also has audio, so I am going to try, and see if I can remember... Thank you...
There you go, that's a good place to start! :Thumbsup:

Btw, how are you at writing "notes" to yourself, for reminders, etc.? As you're studying God's Word, take notes or write notes to yourself regarding the Scriptures you've chosen for the day, kinda like love letters/notes to yourself from God, etc. etc....

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank you,
Mike

Welcome Mike.

Also, have problems with remembering people or what they ask of me to do...

My wife is going to be wondering if I was in a car wreck too. ;)

Reactions: GracefulWarrior

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

Grace, Peace, And JOY!...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank you,
Mike
The right place is the place where God has placed you with the right humble attitude. You may hear right or wrong words here. The key is to follow God through His Son, Jesus. I am praying that God open your eye and ears to see and hear His Way so as to then follow it rather than any other.

Gumpy

Dec 10, 2022
Brockville
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Welcome Mike.

My wife is going to be wondering if I was in a car wreck too. ;)
Thank you @Mr E I pray your memory gets better than it is, Jesus, please help Mr E with his memory, and remember things that his wife speaks to him about... Thank you, Lord Jesus...
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

Grace, Peace, And JOY!...
Thank you for the warm welcome @GRACE ambassador
The right place is the place where God has placed you with the right humble attitude. You may hear right or wrong words here. The key is to follow God through His Son, Jesus. I am praying that God open your eye and ears to see and hear His Way so as to then follow it rather than any other.
Thank you @amadeus

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank you,
Mike

Hi Mike ~
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your auto accident and difficulties thereafter.
Maybe to forward to say straight out, however, while some enjoy reading the Bible like a novel from cover to cover, it can be difficult a method.

Perhaps targeting IN Books/Chapters/Verses that you want to learn about....or perhaps that have to do with your life, works, husband role, family, whatever.

Bible books stores (and even online), can assist you in targeting particular topics, words, searches.... maybe would be less overwhelming.

May God abundantly bless you and yours,
Taken

Reactions: amadeus and Debp

msugreen

Nov 22, 2023
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

During my academic journey, I encountered challenges crafting a comprehensive literature review. Grateful for the invaluable assistance provided by the literature review help service. Their expertise not only elevated the quality of my written work but also enriched my understanding of effective literature synthesis. Highly recommend their support to fellow learners navigating the intricacies of academic writing.

This is interesting

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Thank you,
Mike
You're doing well. Be encouraged. I'm aware your post is nearly a year old and I haven't seen you around. If you still are, make contact and let us know how it is going for you.

Reactions: amadeus and Debp