Generational Curses ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aug 31, 2017
Bath
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible mentions “generational curses” in Exodus 20:5, 34:7
Numbers14:18
Deuteronomy 5:9

God warns that He is a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate him.

It sounds unfair for God to punish children for the sins of their fathers? But it seems
the effects of sin are naturally passed down from one generation to the next. When a father has a sinful lifestyle, his children are likely to practice the same sinful lifestyle, and that the children will choose to repeat the sins of their fathers.

To put this in context to understand it correctly, is God talking about children being in observation of the fathers actions and lifestyles, thus by modelling them, that they would become indoctrinated to inherit the same sinful life? Or is God talking about the sins of the fathers being passed down through the're seed and bloodline? that the sins would pass on to the children?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God warns that He is a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate him.

It sounds unfair for God to punish children for the sins of their fathers? But it seems
the effects of sin are naturally passed down from one generation to the next. When a father has a sinful lifestyle, his children are likely to practice the same sinful lifestyle, and that the children will choose to repeat the sins of their fathers.

To put this in context to understand it correctly, is God talking about children being in observation of the fathers actions and lifestyles, thus by modelling them, that they would become indoctrinated to inherit the same sinful life? Or is God talking about the sins of the fathers being passed down through the're seed and bloodline? that the sins would pass on to the children?
That stopped at the cross.

Reactions: prism and Helen
D

Dave L

God normally saves people in family lines. So if the ancestors believe, most of the offspring will too. This is why Peter says;
“And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter; Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.” (Acts 11:13–14)

“And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.” (Acts 16:31)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Or is God talking about the sins of the fathers being passed down through the're seed and bloodline? that the sins would pass on to the children?
We know from Ezekiel that God holds each person accountable for their own sins. He does NOT impute the sins of the fathers to the children. We also see from the history of the kings of Judah that evil fathers produced godly sons, and godly fathers produced evil sons. In other words, no one should be talking about generational curses.

As far as Christians are concerned, all curses were removed at the cross, since Christ Himself was made a curse for us by hanging on a tree. When we receive Christ, we also receive His absolute righteousness -- the robe of righteousness, and God sees each of His children as perfect in Christ.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only, you have it "RIGHT".

Deuteronomy 5:9 "Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me,
The very next verse give us the understanding,

Deuteronomy 5:10 "And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.

this is bare out in,
Ezekiel 18:1 "The word of the LORD came unto me again, saying,
Ezekiel 18:2 "What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?
Ezekiel 18:3 "[As] I live, saith the Lord GOD, ye shall not have [occasion] any more to use this proverb in Israel.
Ezekiel 18:4 "Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

it's up to you, Love and Obey the Lord, or face the consequences. blood have no consequences in "your" actions.

PICJAG

D

Dave L

We know from Ezekiel that God holds each person accountable for their own sins. He does NOT impute the sins of the fathers to the children. We also see from the history of the kings of Judah that evil fathers produced godly sons, and godly fathers produced evil sons. In other words, no one should be talking about generational curses.

As far as Christians are concerned, all curses were removed at the cross, since Christ Himself was made a curse for us by hanging on a tree. When we receive Christ, we also receive His absolute righteousness -- the robe of righteousness, and God sees each of His children as perfect in Christ.
Generational curses apply to all unbelievers just as they did in the OT. You probably have a Christian lineage in your family tree.

D

Dave L

Well good...glad to see you finally post something positive my friend. :)
But the generational curses continue.

“Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost [the end].” (1 Thessalonians 2:16)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The understanding of EX.20:4-6 is not difficult if we understand the consequences of Idolatrous Worship and the length of time that the Fathers of Israel practiced Idolatrous worship in their homes. In Dan.9:24a Israel was given 490 years to repent before the visitation of their iniquities with regards to Idolatrous behaviour would be visited upon their children and their children's children. The 490 years represented 490 years in which they could repent when offering their Sin Sacrifice each year.

How long was the time period of the fathers rebellion of Idolatrous Worship? It was for a time period of just over 2,000 years or two days of the Lord/two Ages. From the Birth of Isaac up to the time of the Birth of their Messiah, the Christ. If the first and second time period of the fathers covered was for a period which was a little longer than 2,000 years, then the third and the fourth time period will be the same time period, a little longer than 2,000 years since the birth of Christ.

The clock on this time period of the visitation of the iniquities of the fathers on their children and the children's children is still running and will end at the time of judgement of the Kings of the Earth that have trampled Jerusalem where the Sanctuary of God was established. The length of time that the Kings of the Earth will trample the Sanctuary of God is 2,300 years as told in Daniel.8. In Daniel.9:26b we are told that Jerusalem will be devastated and desolated for a period of time until the end of the war. Where is this war and when does it end? The war referred to in this half verse prophecy is the battle that is presently raging in Heaven at the moment band that battle will end when Satan is finally kicked out of Heaven down to the earth.

Isa.24:21-22 informs us that their is a time of judgement in the heavens of the heavenly hosts who have rebelled against God at the same time that the Kings of the earth are judged on the earth and that after the giving of those judgements the wicked from heaven and the earth will be imprisoned for many days in a pit. Revelation.20:1-3 tells us that this pit will be locked for a period of 1,000 years after which time it will be unlocked to allow the prisoners a little while to go out to the whole earth in a last ditched attempt to over throw God before they are dispatched into the Lake of Fire.

When does Isa.24:21-22 occur? We know that the Kings of the earth and their armies will be assembled at Armageddon and that there will be a battle their where Christ leads a heavenly army to defeat the Kings of the earth and their armies and that Israel will be able to see this battle and will make the decision to seek out the terms of peace from Christ. (Luke.14) In Luke.19 we are told that that when Satan goes away to receive a kingdom, that those he has had dominion over will send a delegation after him stating that they no longer want to have Satan as their king.

When is the end of the visitation of the father's iniquities upon the children and the children's children? Paul tells us that it will occur when the fullness with respect to time period of the 2,300 years of the Heathen Gentiles trampling the Sanctuary of God is completed after which all of the Israelites who are not in rebellion against God will be saved and gathered unto God to be planted in good soil in the fields where they are living scattered throughout the whole earth and that God will then teach them about the things of Israel, i.e. Christ, on the rock that will come down out of heaven at this time to become the highest mount in all of Israel.

It is at this time that Jer.31:31ff comes into play as God makes like new again the same covenant, (with a tweak here and there because of the instigated changes to the redemption process that occurred on the cross), that he had made with Israel at Mt. Sinai to be a Kingdom of Priests, a Holy Nation and His Possession among thee Nations covenant that Israel rebelled against while Moses was up on the mountain for 40 days with God.

The Generational curses being transferred down through a family because of the sins of the fathers in the third and fourth descendant generations is how the Israelites negated the consequences of their continual Idolatrous worship while they were living in the "Promised Land." Because of the long period of time since 70 AD this understanding can no longer be justified since the curses on Israel are still in place, until the repent of their fathers as well as their own idolatrous sins.

Then if they repent and call out my name, I will hear them and turn back to them and will remove those iniquities from them.

When I sat down to study the scriptures this is what stood out to me as to what has been happening to God's chosen people over time.

Shalom

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But the generational curses continue.

“Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost [the end].” (1 Thessalonians 2:16)

There is no curse in the passage.

1 Thessalonians 2:16 New International Version (NIV)
16 in their effort to keep us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. In this way they always heap up their sins to the limit. The wrath of God has come upon them at last.a]">[a]

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezekiel 18:19-20 New International Version (NIV)
19 “Yet you ask, ‘Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?’ Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. 20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I post a lot of positive things. Truth is always positive.

Take a look at the new thread on archaeology.

I did look.
I love archaeology ...but Core...24 video all in one thread in the space of a day, really.
And that is only that one thread!!

You have an addiction with videos as Farouk does with his tattoo threads!!!!

Reactions: marks and Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi PWS,

Interesting question! I'm thinking that if sin is not imputed to someone who didn't commit it, and that we are each tempted by our own desires, which turn to sin, then this wouldn't be guilty of their sin, and wouldn't be inheriting their sin, so I'd say it means being raised in that sin.

It gets passed to the kids for 3-4 generations by then growing up in it. That's my thinking.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Nancy