Genesis....Fact or fiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did it really take 6 days for God to create our universe or not?

• Total voters

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
The thing about 6-day creation is this--how long is a day?
A day is not the same length of time, even on this one planet...and how long is day on Jupiter, for instance?
We don't even truly know how long a day is for this bit of rock we call home...how can we possibly know how long a day is for God?

We do know this...we mere mortals cannot work hard for longer than approximately six days without a break, or we risk total collapse...

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
The thing about 6-day creation is this--how long is a day?
A day is not the same length of time, even on this one planet...and how long is day on Jupiter, for instance?
We don't even truly know how long a day is for this bit of rock we call home...how can we possibly know how long a day is for God?

We do know this...we mere mortals cannot work hard for longer than approximately six days without a break, or we risk total collapse...
A day, as per Genesis, is morning and evening, or a LUNAR cycle. Today it is 24 hours, but since the beginning it was separated into 24 parts, based on the 24 knuckles of our hands. I know that sounds weird but that's how it came about. There isn't one reputable Hebrew scholar today that thinks YOM is anything but a lunar day, in the context of Gen 1. The following link is very technical but may help your perspective.
http://creation.com/the-meaning-of-yom-in-genesis-1

The Bible was written for man, not God, so even from that perspective, it's normal inference is based on our common connotations, and secondary connotations unless the context clearly conveys that.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
A day, as per Genesis, is morning and evening, or a LUNAR cycle. Today it is 24 hours, but since the beginning it was separated into 24 parts, based on the 24 knuckles of our hands. I know that sounds weird but that's how it came about. There isn't one reputable Hebrew scholar today that thinks YOM is anything but a lunar day, in the context of Gen 1. The following link is very technical but may help your perspective.
http://creation.com/the-meaning-of-yom-in-genesis-1

The Bible was written for man, not God, so even from that perspective, it's normal inference is based on our common connotations, and secondary connotations unless the context clearly conveys that.
All of that might make more sense, if this one planet were all God created. But we now know that this is not so--unlike Moses, who certainly did not have any idea how vast God's Creation truly is! There are an infinite number of stars out there...more than we can ever hope to count...and we know that many of them have planet systems around them. It is unreasonable to limit Creation to just this one planet, as if this were all God created.
Perhaps, from God's perspective, a "day" is the length of time it takes the entire universe to revolve?

What is more likely is that God phrased these things in ways that we poor mortals might attempt to understand them. In other words, He "dumbed it down" for us...

Honestly, now...if God had truly given us the technical details as to how He created the universe...or even just this one planet, with all the majesty it contains...

Do you think we'd have any hope at all of understanding it?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
heretoeternity said:
Or maybe "a day is like a thousand years to God, a thousand years it like a day" Ps 90 and 2 Peter 3.
That's right, to God, not to us. You'll find both scriptures deal with men thinking God is slow or not quick to fulfill his promises.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
All of that might make more sense, if this one planet were all God created. But we now know that this is not so--unlike Moses, who certainly did not have any idea how vast God's Creation truly is! There are an infinite number of stars out there...more than we can ever hope to count...and we know that many of them have planet systems around them. It is unreasonable to limit Creation to just this one planet, as if this were all God created.
Perhaps, from God's perspective, a "day" is the length of time it takes the entire universe to revolve?

What is more likely is that God phrased these things in ways that we poor mortals might attempt to understand them. In other words, He "dumbed it down" for us...

Honestly, now...if God had truly given us the technical details as to how He created the universe...or even just this one planet, with all the majesty it contains...

Do you think we'd have any hope at all of understanding it?
Again not something we can understand. Scientist know that the universe is continuing to expand, but does that change the fact that it is the way God made it to be? Again the Bible is not FOR God, it is for us, in our universe, in our reality, in our time.

What is a fact is that we are to be people of faith, and as such are to accept His word as it is plainly given. That it is "dumbed down" as you put it, is a given, especially given when it was supplied to us.

No, and that is entirely my point, we don't and never will, despite our efforts to do so. Some accept that in their faith walk, and others who do not walk in faith, try to understand what has happened by their own means, without God being in the picture. That of course is bound to fail.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Again not something we can understand. Scientist know that the universe is continuing to expand, but does that change the fact that it is the way God made it to be? Again the Bible is not FOR God, it is for us, in our universe, in our reality, in our time.

What is a fact is that we are to be people of faith, and as such are to accept His word as it is plainly given. That it is "dumbed down" as you put it, is a given, especially given when it was supplied to us.

No, and that is entirely my point, we don't and never will, despite our efforts to do so. Some accept that in their faith walk, and others who do not walk in faith, try to understand what has happened by their own means, without God being in the picture. That of course is bound to fail.
It would not matter if God were to give us a brand new version today...He'd still have to "dumb it down" for us.
We are not nearly as "smart" as some of us seem to think that we are. We are simply not capable of understanding the technical details of Creation...nor will we ever be.
At least, not in this life...

Oh, even to look up at the majestic glory of the night sky, full of tiny twinkling lights...and each one of those tiny lights, a far-off star...how can we even dare to imagine that we have any hope at all of "knowing"?

How long did it actually take God to create it all? He could have done it in an instant of time....or, He could have lingered lovingly over His Creation for millions of years. But these are human terms, and in the final analysis, completely meaningless...

In the end, does it really matter?

Reactions: Born_Again

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
It would not matter if God were to give us a brand new version today...He'd still have to "dumb it down" for us.
We are not nearly as "smart" as some of us seem to think that we are. We are simply not capable of understanding the technical details of Creation...nor will we ever be.
At least, not in this life...

Oh, even to look up at the majestic glory of the night sky, full of tiny twinkling lights...and each one of those tiny lights, a far-off star...how can we even dare to imagine that we have any hope at all of "knowing"?

How long did it actually take God to create it all? He could have done it in an instant of time....or, He could have lingered lovingly over His Creation for millions of years. But these are human terms, and in the final analysis, completely meaningless...

In the end, does it really matter?
Given that man's science still doesn't understand, I agree. Paul said now we know in part. It appears we still do in this and many regards.

It matters, as science currently disagrees with what God's word says. Other than that, it does not matter to me.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Given that man's science still doesn't understand, I agree. Paul said now we know in part. It appears we still do in this and many regards.

It matters, as science currently disagrees with what God's word says. Other than that, it does not matter to me.
What science fails to recognize is man is fallible. God is not. Well, God aside, man is still fallible.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Have you ever heard of a theologian who doesn't?
I have read some theologians who err, but also I have read many theologians who don't. My point is what God's word clearly says and what some scientists contradict.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Unfortunately, science does seem to have quite a bit of hard evidence on their side.
Now, I do not believe that God hid fossils in the earth to deceive us...do you?
Yet, those fossils do exist, and must somehow be explained.

Do you have any ideas about that?
I'm curious....

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Unfortunately, science does seem to have quite a bit of hard evidence on their side.

I'm curious....
Would God deceive us? Roll that question around in your head. The scientist are the ones who are saying how old that stuff is....

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
I'm curious....
It would be impossible for me to convey all I know and have read about this subject here and now, but there are plenty of good books and articles about the fossil record. You may be surprised at what a different perspective other than the so-called scientific one will do for your understanding.
The way science presently dates things has never been proven, and it cannot because there is no one from the beginning that can support the time they come up with. The following links are just two of MANY that can be found online for your enjoyment.

http://creation.com/refuting-evolution-2-chapter-8-argument-the-fossil-record-supports-evolution

http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/tis2/index.php/evidence-for-evolution-mainmenu-65/48-the-fossil-record.html