genesis question...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

poetboy

Jul 2, 2007
well i have started the new year off with a goal of reading the bible in a year..and so it's the second day, and i've read from genesis 4-6..so my question is where did cain get his wife from?Eve only had Cain and Abel, and after Cain was cursed by God for killing his brother Abel, it was that whosoever shall find him shall kill him, so Cain went away and it says: Genesis 4:14-16 "And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him. 16And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. 17And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch."so im wondering where did his wife come from? im assuming there were more inhabitants that were not mentioned that maybe eve had.just for discussion.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
PoetboyShe came from the land of Nod which means wander in the hebrewCain was kicked out of the garden after killing his brother Able he went to land of Nodand took a wife and yes the scripture does allude that there could be other peopleYou have two choices here you can believe that somehow even though there were only three people on earth that incest of some illusive unmentioned offspring of Adam and Eve suddenly created all these people so there was enough to build a city and the Bible forgot to mention that Cains wife was his sister of course how and when this could have happened is not saidor choice two you can look again at the sixth day creation and believe that God created all the races and did not create Adam untill after he rested on the seventh day Adam is not mentioned untill the eighth day if you pick choice #2then Cain married one of the women from the sixth day creation and built the first city for them

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Tyrel.peacebewithyou argue or state your opinions elsewhere I deleted all your posts let Poetboy asks his questions and then answer them as they come When one is trying to learn you cant bombard him with your disagreements

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(kriss;28920)
PoetboyShe came from the land of Nod which means wander in the hebrewCain was kicked out of the garden after killing his brother Able
If you're refering to this verse:And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. it doesn't say he met his wife in Nod. the following verse says: 17And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch. again, no mention of "meeting" his wife in Nod, but rather, that he had a wife with whom he had relations with (knew his wife). This wife could have been his sister who came with him to Nod.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(kriss;28921)
Tyrel.peacebewithyou argue or state your opinions elsewhere I deleted all your posts let Poetboy asks his questions and then answer them as they come When one is trying to learn you cant bombard him with your disagreements
I will keep my opinion based on scripture only, if that's ok?(I didn't see your previous request ... may I still post on this thread?)

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
That is fine I dont mind if he can understand but debating past arguments is not fair

John

Mar 31, 2007
You have two choices here you can believe that somehow even though there were only three people on earth that incest of some illusive unmentioned offspring of Adam and Eve suddenly created all these people so there was enough to build a city and the Bible forgot to mention that Cains wife was his sister of course how and when this could have happened is not said
Kriss, Do you believe that Adam and Eve had no other children until Seth,who was born when Adam was 135 years old. Just because all of Adams offspring aren't listed doesn't mean they weren't there.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I dont believe God planed so poorly that he forced incest upon his very special creation The very bloodline that the savior of the World would come through. I dont believe he left scripture up to guessing this is what happened. I dont believe God is the author of confusion I believe he exspected us to read what is written without preconceived ideas of men (as a child)He simply says he created Man on the sixth day and the earth and creation were complete he rested on the seventh day At this point he never speaks of one man

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them."So it was on this sixth day that both man and woman of all races were formed, and each after their kind. Yet all forms of mankind red, yellow, black [brown], or white are all created in the image of God.Genesis 1:28 "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, ad over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."Does this sound like one man?? If you were a child and had never heard the word would think this was one person (or two) that were to multiply and replenish and subdue the entire earth??The intent of God was to have each race multiply "after their kind".

poetboy

Jul 2, 2007
lol..well i didn't mean to spark any argument..it was just a question to ponder on...and i would think as well that since God created male and female in his image on the sixth day then it would be that there were others but i dunno...i didn't even think the question was important..and also the bible does say somewhere, that not all things have been revealed in the book. And not just that, but due to lost manuscripts as well so who knows... but like i said it's not important.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
well it is important but we have argued this on many threads and the bible is complete we just needed knowledge to increase before we could understand it all but some would like to keep with old before we knew better So out of curiosity which makes more sense to you choice #1 or choice #2

poetboy

Jul 2, 2007
(kriss;28920)
PoetboyYou have two choices here you can believe that somehow even though there were only three people on earth that incest of some illusive unmentioned offspring of Adam and Eve suddenly created all these people so there was enough to build a city and the Bible forgot to mention that Cains wife was his sister of course how and when this could have happened is not saidor choice two you can look again at the sixth day creation and believe that God created all the races and did not create Adam untill after he rested on the seventh day Adam is not mentioned untill the eighth day if you pick choice #2then Cain married one of the women from the sixth day creation and built the first city for them
ok...well after reading this again, i see that choice #2 is actually not a choice...but i've come to the realization that this is what actually happened. See, after god said: " 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."this means that he created all people on the sixh day, and Adam and Eve were created specifically afterwards in the Garden of Eden. There were other places, but Eden is where the fall took place... so i interpret. And this next verse proves that point:"15And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him."there were other people, because after Cain sinned, then anyone who found him would kill him. So I guess i just answered my own question.And also, i dont believe God would permit such a thing as incest to be the reason we are all here. For the bible says many times over that the lord Gid is an all-righteous god, and unable to have any wrong in him. He hates all sin, and incest is a sin. (however just for the sake of saying: if the case was that Cain had a sister who was his wife, then that would not have been considered incest in those times. and times change. because back then they had multiple wives, and also lived extremely long lives; so i dont believe this is true.nevermind that last paragraph tho.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
But if there were other people on the Earth, why would God have created a helpmate for him by taking one of his ribs? That would have been unnecessary if their were other woman already there. V23 sounds like the introduction of the first Woman: And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. 21And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; 22And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. 23And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
Also, we have this verse which clearly states Adam was the first man: 1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. (the last Adam being Christ)

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(poetboy;28954)
there were other people, because after Cain sinned, then anyone who found him would kill him. So I guess i just answered my own question..
Yes, there were other people - but they had to have come after Adam, because he is called the "first man" in the verse I previously posted.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
We also have this verse which states that Eve is the mother of ALL living.. no other races mentioned..Genesis 3:20And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.If Adam is the first man (1Cor 15:45) and Eve is the mother of all living, then Cain's wife is from Adam & Eve. In Genesis 5:4 we are told, “And the days of Adam after he had fathered Seth were eight hundred years. And he fathered sons and daughters.” This does not say when they were born. Many could have been born in the 130 years (Genesis 5:3) before Seth was born. The law forbidding marriage between close relatives was not given until the time of Moses (Leviticus 18-20). Provided marriage was one man to one woman for life (based on Genesis 1 and 2), there was no disobedience to God's law originally when close relatives (even brothers and sisters) married each other.Also, Abraham married his half-sister (Genesis 20:12). God blessed this union to produce the Hebrew people through Isaac and Jacob. It was not until some 400 years later that God gave Moses laws that forbade such marriages.So if it were wrong to marry your sibbling, would God have considered Abraham as Father of the Hebrew nation? Obviously not. What we know: Adam is the first man - Eve is the mother of all living - God permited sibblings to marry.. Abraham married his 1/2 sister.. We we are not told: God created other people prior to Adam. There is not a single verse that states that.

Nov 8, 2007
@Kriss, if you notice Form and Made are very strong indications of the Order God created Things. When he created Male and Female Then, they weren't living, he had ordered them to be fruitful and Multiply, but they were the Seeds. In Genesis Two, those Seeds became Trees, Adam and Eve. He Made them first as Spiritual Beings, and in Genesis Two proceeded by FORMING them from the Dust of the Earth.In Genesis 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.In the Day Male and Female WERE CREATED he called them ADAM! Because EVE would eventually come out of Adam. That's why male and Female were Called Adam. Because Female came out of Man. If Incest were Wrong, then take the Jews for Example. They were forbidden to marry outsiders, so what do you think Transpired. There was no Pre-Adamic Race.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Peacebewithyou;29001)
But if there were other people on the Earth, why would God have created a helpmate for him by taking one of his ribs? That would have been unnecessary if their were other woman already there. V23 sounds like the introduction of the first Woman: And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. 21And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; 22And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. 23And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
If you read you will see that after God rested he created the Garden a private place for a speacial man he was going to create for a specific Purpose to the FIRST in the blood line of Christ he put him in a protected Garden so he would not mix with the other races to keep the Bloodline purebut he needed a helpmate so he created Eve

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Unorthodox Christian;29017)
@Kriss, if you notice Form and Made are very strong indications of the Order God created Things. When he created Male and Female Then, they weren't living, he had ordered them to be fruitful and Multiply, but they were the Seeds. In Genesis Two, those Seeds became Trees, Adam and Eve. He Made them first as Spiritual Beings, and in Genesis Two proceeded by FORMING them from the Dust of the Earth.In Genesis 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.In the Day Male and Female WERE CREATED he called them ADAM! Because EVE would eventually come out of Adam. That's why male and Female were Called Adam. Because Female came out of Man. If Incest were Wrong, then take the Jews for Example. They were forbidden to marry outsiders, so what do you think Transpired. There was no Pre-Adamic Race.
I have no idea where you came up with this but its wrong but believe as you like I believe the scripturesGenesis 2:1 "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them."This chapter begins after the completion of the heavens and the earth, when it is fit for habitation. The "hosts" are the masses of people of every race, created on the sixth day, and their offspring, as each race multiplied "after their kind". "Hosts" in the Hebrew text, is given as "tsaba", which shows a binding unity within each group or race, such as organizing for war. In the Strong's Hebrew dictionary it is # 6635, it comes from the root meaning "to assemble to perform". Each of these souls or people, having been created, now stood ready to pass through this earth age. Each soul having the free will to choose light, or darkness.Genesis 2:2 "And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made."When God rested on the seventh day, all forms of plant and animal life was in existence, and man was the last in the creative process of God. In ancient writings from the second century A.D., translated from [Sanhedrin viii, 7]; "Why was man created last? That the heretics might not say there was a companion with Him in the work, i.e., that man should not have claim to share with Him." The work was finished on the sixth day, and all activity of God's creative efforts stopped on the seventh day. God rested from all the work involving the universe.Genesis 2:3 "And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made."All the rejuvenation that took place was finished. Though the so-called "higher critics" say there is a change in authorship from the "P" to the "J" manuscripts, because we are using our commentary from Ezra and Nehemiah's "Massoretic text" manuscripts of Dr C. D. Ginsburg, there should be no conflict in the continuation of thought between the first and second chapters of Genesis. Both chapters come from the same source, and not separate authorships written years apart. Genesis 2:4 "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens,"

Nov 8, 2007
Are you going to completely over LOOK the Verse I gave you? It seems like you just looked at it and said well I'll give him this. Ok before we going on to YOUR EXPLANATION, I want you to see Genesis 5. Eve Came out of Adam, on the 6th Day he created Adam and Eve, and MADE them in his Likeness. KEYWORD MADE, not FORMED made in Hebrew Word #6212 means Prepare or in Preparation. Formed #3335 means To Form, to make into, framing, finalizing it's place. In Genesis 1:26-27 HE MADE THEM, prepared them! In Genesis Two, after the Seventh day, HE FORMED THEM, framed their bodies. Which is why in GENESIS 5, he called the Male and Female Adam, BECAUSE Female comes out of Man, who was the First man, ADAM. He created male and female(2) and called them(2) Adam(which Eve would come out of) making the Word, THEM, Adam, because female came out of Him. There is no pre-adamic Race here!

Status
Not open for further replies.