Gentleness and Forbearance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forbearance is to overlook an offense.

Forbearance is mentioned in Romans 2:4 and Romans 3:25 as something God has toward us.

There is wisdom in not getting offended over every little thing.

Proverbs 19:11
11 The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger,
And his glory is to overlook a transgression.

Gentleness is one of the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:23). We should be known by it (Phillipians 4:5). Gentleness is not weakness. It has power.

Proverbs 25:15 By long forbearance a ruler is persuaded, and a gentle tongue breaks a bone.

The Holy Spirit teaches us to have these things. His supernatural power has to help us do this. But if you haven't been practicing, today is your day.

Not only is gentleness very peaceful. Sometimes overlooking an offense and being gentle in the face of unfair treatment can be an awesome display of the love of Christ and the gospel. We love because God first loved us.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Forbearance is mentioned in Romans 2:4 and Romans 3:25 as something God has toward us.

Gentleness is one of the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:23). We should be known by it (Phillipians 4:5). Gentleness is not weakness. It has power.

Proverbs 25:15 By long forbearance a ruler is persuaded, and a gentle tongue breaks a bone.

The Holy Spirit teaches us to have these things. His supernatural power has to help us do this. But if you haven't been practicing, today is your day.

Not only is gentleness very peaceful. Sometimes overlooking an offense and being gentle in the face of unfair treatment can be an awesome display of the love of Christ and the gospel. We love because God first loved us.
This makes me think of how I have been in the past. If someone did not say hi back to me, or hold the door open while I'm right behind them, I was always getting offended. Driving??!!! Oh man has The Lord brought me far from crazy driving. All it did was make me get to the next red light sooner, lol.
One of my issues is that I'm high strung without a way to expend energy...which is frustrating but we MUST accept our lot in life no matter what comes at us...HIS grace IS sufficient.
Good post sister and so important...I will have an opportunity for this very kind of thing later this afternoon :)

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This makes me think of how I have been in the past. If someone did not say hi back to me, or hold the door open while I'm right behind them, I was always getting offended. Driving??!!! Oh man has The Lord brought me far from crazy driving. All it did was make me get to the next red light sooner, lol.
One of my issues is that I'm high strung without a way to expend energy...which is frustrating but we MUST accept our lot in life no matter what comes at us...HIS grace IS sufficient.
Good post sister and so important...I will have an opportunity for this very kind of thing later this afternoon :)

Thank you! I hope the afternoon goes well!!

Reactions: Pearl and Nancy

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Too often all that goes out the window when "Christians" discuss theology. Isn't that the strangest thing? The 'God-people' lose their sense and sensibility when discussing their "beliefs" about God. It's the saddest thing. In an effort to convince others that we are right and they are wrong we trade gentleness and joy for condemnation, anger and resentment. Insults follow, offense is taken.

What wise words you offer Wynona.

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hard enough to get my attention....
Standing there like a statue, blinking like an owl awakened at highnoon, and being asked what or why am I doing? Did you get the license plate of the car that just ran me over? What car? The one the Holy Spirit just hit me with!
This doesn't cause pain but it sure gets your attention!

Alfredthefifth

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Standing there like a statue, blinking like an owl awakened at highnoon, and being asked what or why am I doing? Did you get the license plate of the car that just ran me over? What car? The one the Holy Spirit just hit me with!
This doesn't cause pain but it sure gets your attention!

Alfredthefifth

Had I not seen this verse to today and Gotten smacked by the Holy Spirit, and heeded His warning, things would be different for me today.... Because of this verse, I was able to overlook a transgression instead of becoming angry and ruining a beautiful relationship in my life yesterday.... not to mention, the patience it taught which paid off in a big way with a wonderful evening spent together with that person ;) Amazing how God reaches out and teaches us each and every day.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had I not seen this verse to today and Gotten smacked by the Holy Spirit, and heeded His warning, things would be different for me today.... Because of this verse, I was able to overlook a transgression instead of becoming angry and ruining a beautiful relationship in my life yesterday.... not to mention, the patience it taught which paid off in a big way with a wonderful evening spent together with that person ;) Amazing how God reaches out and teaches us each and every day.

Praise God.

Reactions: David H.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God.

Thank you Wynona, God used you, to carry a message.... Do not forget that, how he led you to post this here. It is utterly amazing to me when he uses me like this. At times I have no idea who it is directed at but i know it will reach its target, even if they do not give any feedback to you regarding this. Do not be afraid to post at the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My husband is more generous and forbearing than me. When he is put on the spot for a favor or money, even on his birthday, he just bears it patiently.

He's so easygoing about it, I worry people will take him for granted. But he has the right attitude. I aspire to be like him in this. To do good without making everyone feel it or making it a big deal.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus asked the Father forgive His Own murderers even as they were in the act of murdering Him. We should do no less.

Much love!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I never get angry, is there something wrong with me?..:)
I think it's because I know this world we're passing through is just a temporary thing so I can't take it seriously because it doesn't count in the grand scheme of things-
"Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth" (Colossians 3:2)
"For we look at things unseen rather than the seen, for the seen are temporary, but the unseen are eternal" (2 Corinthians 4:18)

So if anybody gets angry they bore me because it shows they're bogged in the mire of the material world-
"Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered" (Proverbs 22:24)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post @Wynona! As a youth I was a bit high strung also. Acting like a selfish kid. Not until later in life did I start to shape up. And I still struggle. My problem lately is that I get bored. I need something to do now that will hold my attention. But I also need some rest I think.

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My dad in teaching me drive always warned,
"NO one is always as a good as the driver they are should be!"
The translation is when I react badly to what another driver is doing I become as incompetent as that driver is in that moment.
So I try to look in the mirror at myself, am I the problem? Am I feeding the problem? Am reacting in the best way?

Alfredthefifth

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My dad in teaching me drive always warned,
"NO one is always as a good as the driver they are should be!"
The translation is when I react badly to what another driver is doing I become as incompetent as that driver is in that moment.
So I try to look in the mirror at myself, am I the problem? Am I feeding the problem? Am reacting in the best way?

Alfredthefifth
I was also taught to drive defensively. So I watch out for other drivers and try to anticipate what they are doing. I slow down to let people in, especially on the freeway because of how fast people are driving. Not giving way to another driver that is changing lanes can lead to a terrible accident. Which could be caused from selfishness on my part, God forbid that.

Also I don't drive next to semis. They often can't see other drivers and one time I was with my mother and a semi changed lanes into my location which pushed me onto the shoulder at 65 miles per hour. My little car fish tailed in the dirt of the shoulder and we almost crashed. I was able to keep the car in check and eventually brought it back. But it was scary.

Reactions: Wynona

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My dads had quite a few sayings, one I frequently use talking to myself is and this is when another driver is driving confusedly,

Make up my mind what I am doing so I can safely do it!
For the gentleness and forbearance, my dad handed me great skills to read what traffic is doing around me and patience to let what I see happen without forcing and causing problems. I am told that
I am a passive aggressive driver, that is I wait until I see the proper opportunity and then don't hesitate to take. Forcing an issue while driving gets dicey but if I read the opportunity correctly it is very comfortable.

When I can find a spot with cars pulling away, while I am slightly faster then the cars behind me that is a comfort zone and safety zone also. This is always my goal when traveling. I will also set myself up for my exits or turns miles ahead of were I need to make them.

Alfredthefifth

Reactions: dev553344