Gentleness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gentleness

noun

1. 1.
    the quality of being kind, tender, or mild-mannered.
    "Michael was admired for his gentleness and tolerance"

2. 2.
    softness of action or effect; lightness.
    "the gentleness of his touch"

What does the Bible have to say about it?

We know one of the fruits of the Spirit is Gentleness.

Galatians 5:22‭-‬23 NKJV

"
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."

Last edited:

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gentleness

"
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."

Titus 3:2

They are to slander no one, to be peaceable, considerate, exercising all graciousness toward everyone.

Peace!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gentleness

noun

1. 1.

2. 2.

"

It's an interesting word, Josho. The Hebrew equivalents carried the sense of humbleness or lowliness, such that a person would never take a heavy hand, take advantage, or be harsh or hurtful with someone. In this sense it was also often translated "meekness." It was a virtue to the Greeks, and clearly a virtue to God; one granted to believers through the Holy Spirit.

I think the term is important where ministry is concerned, especially with those who need healing. We tend to want to rush in and "fix" things in a hurry, when people's heart can be very sensitive. Learning gentleness is essentially a form of learning how to love. Without it, many will not let us in.

God bless,
Good thread.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gentleness

noun

1. 1.

2. 2.

"
what is there a law against Josho?

R

Rita

Hi Josho,
Sometimes it’s important to ask what the opposite of a fruit of the Spirit is - that can give you a bigger picture of what gentleness is.
The opposite would be, according to the dictionary, ‘ unkindness, brutality ‘ , maybe harshness, abruptness would also come into it.
Brutality means cruelty , violent.
I was trying to think about how gentleness would show itself on a forum as we communicate. How would unkindness or brutality show itself. We all know how these things look away from the forum in real life, but what about here.
We develop the fruits as we grow more Christlike, as the Lord deals with our internal worlds and changes us from the inside out.
Do we consider ourselves as reflecting this fruit here as we communicate with one another, come to think about it what about the other fruits

just pondering your OP
Rita x

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."
Who makes and enforces a law against the opposite of these traits?

Last edited:

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gentleness

Gentleness (meekness) after being mercilessly tortured and crucified and while being reviled, had this to say: “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34)

I don't think you will find a better definition/example than this.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gentleness

noun

1. 1.

2. 2.

"

The Greek word for "gentleness" is chrestotes, and is about kindness & 'moral character'.

Yet sometimes, Christ's enemies require military arms to bring those back to a reality of peace and kindness to their neighbor.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Josho,
Sometimes it’s important to ask what the opposite of a fruit of the Spirit is - that can give you a bigger picture of what gentleness is.
The opposite would be, according to the dictionary, ‘ unkindness, brutality ‘ , maybe harshness, abruptness would also come into it.
I was trying to think about how gentleness would show itself on a forum as we communicate. How would unkindness or brutality show itself. We all know how these things look away from the forum in real life, but what about here.
We develop the fruits as we grow more Christlike, as the Lord deals with our internal worlds and changes us from the inside out.
Do we consider ourselves as reflecting this fruit here as we communicate with one another, come to think about it what about the other fruits

just pondering your OP
Rita x
I would say, for the most part, those exhibiting the fruits of the spirit are not conscious of it; that is to say they do not consciously perform.....theirs is an activity which has them ask as per Jesus' parable, 'when did we do all these things?'

Not intending to derail the thread but while on the subject of gentleness, how do we understand Jesus driving out the money changers from the temple precincts? This is clearly a protracted action.....he would have observed the activity from a corner and decided to do something about it....yes, making a whip! Now where would he get the materials for a whip? ....first they needed to be sourced then deliberately constructed.....all this would have taken time. It was not something impulsive, that is clear. Time meant he could think about his proposed action. His thoughts concluded in what unfolded.

to continue.....a subdued and 'gentle' voice amidst the jumble of bartering, animals bleating and the general noise of a market would not have cut it. Only overt authority signaled by projecting his voice would have been the way for this to be effective not to mention the indignant voices of the money changers having their tables overturned now down on their knees scrambling for careening coins on tiles bouncing like marbles and the stampede of panicked animals at the crack of a whip. Imagine it!

Soooo, the question arises again......how do we understand gentleness in this context?.....perhaps there is another factor at work here?......if so, which?

R

Rita

I would say, for the most part, those exhibiting the fruits of the spirit are not conscious of it; that is to say they do not consciously perform.....theirs is an activity which has them ask as per Jesus' parable, 'when did we do all these things?'

Not intending to derail the thread but while on the subject of gentleness, how do we understand Jesus driving out the money changers from the temple precincts? This is clearly a protracted action.....he would have observed the activity from a corner and decided to do something about it....yes, making a whip! Now where would he get the materials for a whip? ....first they needed to be sourced then deliberately constructed.....all this would have taken time. It was not something impulsive, that is clear. Time meant he could think about his proposed action. His thoughts concluded in what unfolded.

to continue.....a subdued and 'gentle' voice amidst the jumble of bartering, animals bleating and the general noise of a market would not have cut it. Only overt authority signaled by projecting his voice would have been the way for this to be effective not to mention the indignant voices of the money changers having their tables overturned now down on their knees scrambling for careening coins on tiles bouncing like marbles and the stampede of panicked animals at the crack of a whip. Imagine it!

Soooo, the question arises again......how do we understand gentleness in this context?.....perhaps there is another factor at work here?......if so, which?
Good point about Jesus turning the tables, I have always presumed that he just went there and a acted. I will have to look at that again. I doubt we would cultivate gentleness in every situation anyway. Scripture tells us not to sin in our anger. This means that there are ways of showing anger in a manner that achieves good.
Proberbs 15 ‘ A Gentle answer turns away wrath ( extreme anger ) , but a harsh word stirs up anger ‘
One dissipates , the other creates ....

I believe that with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit Change does come in different ways, some people change drastically and in ways that are noticeable straight away - I mean look at how Paul/Saul changed. He was full of hate and anger towards Jesus followers when he encountered the Lord.
I must admit that it is on,y when I look back that I see that the fruits have been cultivated, but some not perfected yet.
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Gentleness

noun

1. 1.

2. 2.

"
Great verses there, @Josho...

Reactions: Giuliano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Good point about Jesus turning the tables, I have always presumed that he just went there and a acted. I will have to look at that again. I doubt we would cultivate gentleness in every situation anyway. Scripture tells us not to sin in our anger. This means that there are ways of showing anger in a manner that achieves good.
Proberbs 15 ‘ A Gentle answer turns away wrath ( extreme anger ) , but a harsh word stirs up anger ‘
One dissipates , the other creates ....

I believe that with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit Change does come in different ways, some people change drastically and in ways that are noticeable straight away - I mean look at how Paul/Saul changed. He was full of hate and anger towards Jesus followers when he encountered the Lord.
I must admit that it is on,y when I look back that I see that the fruits have been cultivated, but some not perfected yet.
Rita
@Rita: Good comments; the fruit of the Spirit passage from Galatians is indeed relevant...

Reactions: Giuliano and Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi Josho,

just pondering your OP
Rita x
@Rita Jumping to conclusions quickly and making sweeping statements can be regarded as evidence of a supposed, strict "correctness'...but it's not necessarily spiritual mindedness, is it?

Reactions: Giuliano and Rita
R

Rita

@Rita Jumping to conclusions quickly and making sweeping statements can be regarded as evidence of a supposed, strict "correctness'...but it's not necessarily spiritual mindedness, is it?
It’s always difficult to assess on a forum because what we say is only a small part of communication. Body language, facial expression is a much bigger part of it. You can tell that many responses are added without any ‘ reflective time ‘ because of how quickly the response comes. ( something we all do at times )
Rita

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It’s always difficult to assess on a forum because what we say is only a small part of communication. Body language, facial expression is a much bigger part of it. You can tell that many responses are added without any ‘ reflective time ‘ because of how quickly the response comes. ( something we all do at times )
Rita
@Rita, interesting point, yes...

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it shows the difference between the sheep and the shepherd. A shepherd is not always gentle and can even be violent; but his motive is to protect the sheep. A shepherd does not kill wolves because he hates wolves. He does it because he loves his sheep.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Giuliano @Rita Here's another relevant verse: "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." (James 3.17)

Reactions: Giuliano

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

we don't agree to often but well said, subjects like the OP are usually posted on sites like this one because they don't like how some respond to others. think about Jesus' Father's house, and the wicked therein, and how the Son of God in the Holy Spirit responded to that, of which the Father was pleased.

out in the world, sure trying not to offend is wise reason being its a condemned world and not the Kingdom of God, but rest assured when something of hell wants place in the kingdom or in the kingdoms place in the world its not supposed to be pleasant response. so in this case the liars want the respect of the believers in the believer's house, demanding the entitlement to speak their lies and deceit in the name of what the believer is supposed to be in their view, without angry or hostile contesting.

example, in places that are Christian organizations that feed and cloth the poor and the homeless many times the not so nice homeless demand to be treated as they understand Christians are supposed to treat them. hence they try to hold the doctrine against them, though they themselves believe nor follow not.

in the world yes because its the world's place, therefore one should respect that, but again in the place of the Kingdom no one is required to respect wickedness and deceit in the name of anything.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Gentleness

'Now I Paul myself beseech you
by the meekness and gentleness of Christ, ... '

(2 Corinthians 10:1a)

'Thou hast also given me the shield of Thy salvation:
and Thy right hand hath holden me up,
and Thy gentleness hath made me great.
Thou hast enlarged my steps under me,
that my feet did not slip.'

(Psalm 18:35)

Praise God! For His gentleness.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus