Geocaching

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before I go into a major description of what it is (or at least try to lol) are there any other geocachers here? Does anybody else know what it is? Cause I've been doing it for the past few years. :D

Reactions: JohnDB and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before I go into a major description of what it is (or at least try to lol) are there any other geocachers here? Does anybody else know what it is? Cause I've been doing it for the past few years. :D
Oh, is that where people are so intent on their GPS to find something that they are walking into streets in front of cars, and walking into trees and poles?? Ahaha!
Nope, not a geocacher :D Seems interesting though...but not so safe IMHO...less you do it on a beach or the woods maybe? I know, wouldn't make it as much fun.
Be safe. :)

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, is that where people are so intent on their GPS to find something that they are walking into streets in front of cars, and walking into trees and poles?? Ahaha!
Nope, not a geocacher :D Seems interesting though...but not so safe IMHO...less you do it on a beach or the woods maybe? I know, wouldn't make it as much fun.
Be safe. :)

Lol you're mixing it up with Pokémon Go. XD It's mostly done in the woods. :D If you want I can try and explain about the different kinds of caches. :)

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol you're mixing it up with Pokémon Go. XD It's mostly done in the woods. :D If you want I can try and explain about the different kinds of caches. :)

Lol...I am old! It's okay, I got too much on my plate right now but...maybe some day!
Tanx :D

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's like looking for buried treasure.

GPS coordinates and clues are given.
A Garmin really helps.

But it's looking for buried treasure that is just cached instead of buried. A good supply of plastic ziplock bags is great so you can sometimes replace the one there. You are supposed to either replace the item with another unique item or just put it back.

It's not supposed to be something really valuable. Just interesting to look at and see. Like a copied picture of the place you are standing at but 50 years ago. (Small trees are big and big trees are now stumps or fallen)
It can be a lot of fun for those with a penchant for finding buried treasure. It is treasure of a sort... just different. And it's fun. No, no walking in front of cars or stupid stuff like that.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's like looking for buried treasure.

GPS coordinates and clues are given.
A Garmin really helps.

But it's looking for buried treasure that is just cached instead of buried. A good supply of plastic ziplock bags is great so you can sometimes replace the one there. You are supposed to either replace the item with another unique item or just put it back.

It's not supposed to be something really valuable. Just interesting to look at and see. Like a copied picture of the place you are standing at but 50 years ago. (Small trees are big and big trees are now stumps or fallen)
It can be a lot of fun for those with a penchant for finding buried treasure. It is treasure of a sort... just different. And it's fun. No, no walking in front of cars or stupid stuff like that.
That sounds risky, like buying stuff on craigslist. You might get stalked or worse perhaps, yeah be careful!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm old. I'm doing that anyway. I don't need a GPS game to help me do that.

Lord forgive me for laughing but you remind me of Steve Urkel off of Family Matters. :D *In a whiny voice* "Did I do that?" :p

You sure that ain't a sin?

Umm,... no. -__-

The only way it can be dangerous is if somebody doesn't use common sense and leave if somebody wants you gone or not being careful where you're going or what kind of terrain you're on.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well obviously the dangers they discuss are just people being stupid.

If you can't go hiking in the woods...this ain't for you.

So someone uses their GPS and plants a treasure in the ground and then reports it to the geocaching website or however it works. Someone else goes looking for it? What if that someone that placed it there in the first place is a serial killer? They know its location and that someone is coming to find it. Or is there something in place that prevents that? Forgive me I never played it before.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So someone uses their GPS and plants a treasure in the ground and then reports it to the geocaching website or however it works. Someone else goes looking for it? What if that someone that placed it there in the first place is a serial killer? They know its location and that someone is coming to find it. Or is there something in place that prevents that? Forgive me I never played it before.

That wouldn't happen. They have to ask permission first before they leave it anywhere so the owner or owners of the property would know.