Get to know our neighbor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another thread the question was ask if we changed our minds after being on the forum and a quote by President Lincoln that goes something along the lines that he did not think he liked a fellow so he wanted to get to know him. I thought maybe we could we have a get to our neighbor thread.

We can share somethings about ourselves like what our Religion is, what brand of Christianity are you, what hobbies do you like, or anything you can think of. Maybe this will help quell the hatred that some have for others here.

Now there are rules to this thread:

Rule 1: Do not disparage someone else, do not say they are wrong, they aren’t smart. If you want to debate start your own thread. I will report any that what to start a fight or disparage another. This is a get to know us thread not a fight thread.

Rule 2: Get to know rule one.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will go first.

I am a member of the Charismatic Episcopal Church. I am a Liturgical Christian and do not believe in Sola Scriptura (Bible alone), I take both Scripture and Tradition (not traditions of man but Holy Traditions from the Holy Apostles) into account. I am looking into going to seminary to study to be ordained to the Priesthood. I like OTR (Old Time Radio) and my favorite show is Phil Harris and Alice Faye show and Sherlock Holmes. I use Linux, specifically Elementary OS right now, Linux is an alternate operating system to windows.My job is tutoring Computers (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, a little C++, and Just Basic language) and Accounting in a Community College. That’s all I can think of for now :)

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This looks like it could be a fun one... hope people join in, we need some lighter threads on here to dilute all the nasty bickering threads that we have these days.
It didn't used to be like this..at one time the atmosphere was more pleasant. People knew how to disagree agreeably.

The pride and 'oneupmanship' is poison.

Glad that you didn't get discouraged and stuck around to become 'part of the answer to the problem...' :)

I just want to tag some people - @Nancy @amadeus @Butterfly , @Pearl
@Willie T @Acolyte will do for now ...

I'll be back....

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just joined but am happy to tell you a bit about myself. I was raise as an Anglican although neither of my parents attended church. As a young adult I forgot about church but believed myself to be a Christian until I met the local vicar who gave me a copy of 'Journey into life' which started me on my own journey.

Of course it was natural to join the local Church of England with the lovely born again, Spirit filled vicar who helped lay the solid foundations of my faith. And all went well there until I was convinced that I needed to be baptised. So because of the traditions of that church the vicar wasn't able to do it I ended up leaving and joining what was described to me a a New Testament church. I don't suppose we could have got much closer to the description of the early Church as described in Acts. I have only ever belonged to those two fellowships.

I am not a great believer in the traditions of men but am big on following the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

Currently I don't belong to a church.

I love to fellowship online as it keeps me sharp and fresh.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi, I've just joined but am happy to tell you a bit about myself. I was raise as an Anglican although neither of my parents attended church. As a young adult I forgot about church but believed myself to be a Christian until I met the local vicar who gave me a copy of 'Journey into life' which started me on my own journey.

Of course it was natural to join the local Church of England with the lovely born again, Spirit filled vicar who helped lay the solid foundations of my faith. And all went well there until I was convinced that I needed to be baptised. So because of the traditions of that church the vicar wasn't able to do it I ended up leaving and joining what was described to me a a New Testament church. I don't suppose we could have got much closer to the description of the early Church as described in Acts. I have only ever belonged to those two fellowships.

I am not a great believer in the traditions of men but am big on following the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2.41-42 is a great pattern; about those who gladly believed, were baptised as a result and continued steadfastly in the Apostles' doctrine and fellowship and breaking of bread and prayers.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another thread the question was ask if we changed our minds after being on the forum and a quote by President Lincoln that goes something along the lines that he did not think he liked a fellow so he wanted to get to know him. I thought maybe we could we have a get to our neighbor thread.
Great thread!
We can share somethings about ourselves like what our Religion is, what brand of Christianity are you, what hobbies do you like, or anything you can think of. Maybe this will help quell the hatred that some have for others here.
I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I love studying faith, having an active relationship with God, and serving/understanding others. My hobbies include learning about what other people believe, and hence hearing all sorts of praises to God and coming to better love others. I'm also a gamer, D&D nerd, and jigsaw puzzler. And let's not forget my wonderful amazing husband and little girl.

Random happy fact of the week: my husband had cataract surgery, restoring his vision from nearly legally blind, to 20/20 distance. The celebration and praises to God have been mega loud around my house this week! Along with my husband's comments "when did our house get so dirty?".

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just getting this on my notifications. Will jump back in when I have a bit more time.
Blessings!:)

I often do that too.
I just write - I will be back.
I haven't found that just clicking top right "Watch Thread" works as well as a one line post for getting Alerts .

See you later...H

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Doesn't belonging to Christ make you part of His church? When people ask my of my affiliation I say ...heaven. When people ask me how many people are in our church I say millions.

We aren't to measure things by the way they appear to mortal eyes.

Reactions: amadeus and Acolyte

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't belonging to Christ make you part of His church? When people ask my of my affiliation I say ...heaven. When people ask me how many people are in our church I say millions.

We aren't to measure things by the way they appear to mortal eyes.

Belonging to Jesus the Christ is the only thing that make me part of his Church.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And in a very long period of about 6 months without having a single group of local people assembling together I could name as my "church" I have been drawn to God in ways not previously known. I strive for my primary focus to always be on God but I also have dabbled in genealogy and I still spend a lot of time on my life long collection of postage stamps. To relax I play my harmonicas or my piano off in my study where I don't disturb my wife of almost 47 years.

Hisman

Mar 31, 2019
westen
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Anyway this looks like a nice friendly thread.
I am a bit of a wimp, I like the safe places.

I like to walk a lot with my dog. She is an old ten year old black lab.

I actually enjoy messing around in the kitchen too. Not always with great success , and my wife always complains about how many pots, pans, bowls and utensils I use. She now makes me clean up too when I play in the kitchen.

And, obviously, I like to spend time in bible study. And, this is Canada HOCKEY!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I actually enjoy messing around in the kitchen too. Not always with great success , and my wife always complains about how many pots, pans, bowls and utensils I use. She now makes me clean up too when I play in the kitchen.

And, obviously, I like to spend time in bible study. And, this is Canada HOCKEY!
I like the 'safe places' too and don't like many of the threads. But I have found some nice friendly ones since joining a few days ago.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't do much in the way of food preparation, but my wife is an excellent cook. Many years ago I learned to clean her messes in the kitchen. In exchange she indulges more frequently in preparing good meals for me. She is the chief cook but I am the primary "bottle washer".

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I don't do much in the way of food preparation, but my wife is an excellent cook. Many years ago I learned to clean her messes in the kitchen. In exchange she indulges more frequently in preparing good meals for me. She is the chief cook but I am the primary "bottle washer".
Ha I noticed the improvement when I started doing the dishes too!