Getting rid of old sins

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 19, 2017
USA, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to ask a question: Is fashion a sin? I like drawing histroical costume design. I want to draw modern fashions, because I am concerned about the sinful revealing lack of modesty in today's clothes for women and girls. I want to design more modest clothes. And I'd like to design jewelry, shoes, purses, interior design, outside houses decoration, architecture, garden designs.

I know what the Bible says about clothes, what Jesus says about the "Lilies of the field" and what Paul said about expensive clothing, braids and gold and pearl jewelry. Does that mean fashion, designing beautiful clothes, is a sin? In that case all the royalty in Europe and Asia since the middle ages would be serious sinners. The popes and cardinals in Rome wore fancy gold embroidered robes. I know the Catholics church is majorly hypocritical. it's weird that a lot of ladies in the past show some part of their bosom but not their arms or legs.

If Christians dressed like puritans, no bright colors, no pretty patterns, no lace or glitter or spangles or embroidery or puff paint, we'd all be dull and boring, sad and miserable.

What is wrong with wearing pretty clothes and jewelry? I understand we should not be fashion slaves, wearing clothes just because they are popular, black is popular and I really don't like black, these blouses with the shoulders cut out, skimpy evening gowns that are backless and show the skinny-minny actress or model's bony back and shoulder blades, high heeled shoes with such a long heel they damage the wearer's feet and hurt her Achilles' tendon and ruin her feet, little black dresses that are short and low necked, only thin women can fit into them, tiny shorts girls wear that show their bum, ragged jeans with holes in them everywhere, especially holes close to the bum, Big huge baggy pairs of jeans in need of a belt or two more people inside of them, popular among city youth.

That's the popular clothes I don't like.

Jan 19, 2017
USA, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to say that my sin was not only in being greedy, I still am fond of some magical children's stories and movies. I like fairies and unicorns, have books on them, and I draw and write about them. I dream of beautiful places, forests, gardens, castles, palaces, the glory of the Lord. He created the Earth beautiful, I want to preserve that beauty. I love the Lord because He is good, loving, merciful and kind. I know he punishes evil, and I am glad for that, because there are a lot of evil people out there and it seems like they get away with it. i try not to be greedy, I'd rather have friends than more stuff. I hate being lonely. I want to put off my old self and be born again.

Before being fully reborn with Christ, I must die to my old self. That is so hard to do! But is it really bad? I think Jesus is leading me away from my childish dreams. I must take the step of faith and not look back. But I am really finding it difficult. I wanted to use the childish fantasy creatures to praise God, they were going to be characters in my stories and pictures that have divine experiences with Christ. The unicorns are good and pure and they follow and obey Christ, they are sacred animals. The fairies help out with nature, and they help people and test people to see if they are good or bad.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yielding unto God pacifies great offenses. I see something here about you and pray you trust and are able to receive from Him. Putting to death of the self life is painful but necessary. Only as in our love for Jesus the savior can we count our desires as nothing to His, knowing by faith that He has the very best for us.

You must let Him choose for you. Once He told me that a child is blessed far more by letting their father choose for them.

Seeng that God was powerful enough to create all that is and actually poured out His own life for our redemption we must have no reserve in submitting to Him and not be carried about with diverse and strange doctrines.

I pray that He touches you in a mighty way for His patience and love for you exceeds anything you have dreamed or imagined.

Sincerely Frank Lee

Last edited:

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, consider the audience you're attracting...

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...7.706.0..0i131k1j0i131i20i264k1.0.rQPY0b9dpfs

youtube(dot)com/channel/UCmOmO7tUBd7WTpBy46HXGSA/videos

God bless.
Just wondering here Heb, are you suggesting that if you do not hold to the puritans ways that we become narcissistic? Not following this gray rock method...
Definition of puritanism
: the beliefs and practices characteristic of the Puritans
: strictness and austerity especially in matters of religion or conduct
Personally, myown pastors wife has said she leans towards the puritian viewpoints...another time, she had written on a FB page for the women in our local body...only saw this on and only reply of hers to anothers post-she said she struggled with legalism. Well, duh-that is what most "puritans" are today-legalists. She has the reputation of being very cold, distant and unapproachable...I my self have tried several times and all for naught...she sometimes even walks away and starts to talk to someone more in her hierarchy...sorry all, if my dislike for my pastors wife is glaringly obvious, lol...is and has been in prayer.

JMO---am I now a thread de-railer :oops:

Reactions: bbyrd009

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Just wondering here Heb, are you suggesting that if you do not hold to the puritans ways that we become narcissistic? Not following this gray rock method...
Definition of puritanism
Personally, myown pastors wife has said she leans towards the puritian viewpoints...another time, she had written on a FB page for the women in our local body...only saw this on and only reply of hers to anothers post-she said she struggled with legalism. Well, duh-that is what most "puritans" are today-legalists. She has the reputation of being very cold, distant and unapproachable...I my self have tried several times and all for naught...she sometimes even walks away and starts to talk to someone more in her hierarchy...sorry all, if my dislike for my pastors wife is glaringly obvious, lol...is and has been in prayer.

No, I'm saying to avoid narcissism in others, it's best to do the gray rock method.

Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Definition of puritanism

Anything can become a 'scene', be it wealth or poverty, torn jeans or mary dresses or the people we mix with.

In a Belize City market I once met a Mennonite fellow. Curious as the proverbial cat I introduced myself to him and asked about his faith. Prior to that I had been looking for a pair of shorts. It was sweltering and I was travelling by motorcycle and needed shorts with plenty of deep side pockets to house passport/money etc. All I could find after a considerable search was a bright red pair and I was wearing them. Anyway, as we chatted he was telling me the reason for the plain clothes he was wearing. (and they were plain, I guessed from the 18th century and subsequently very noticeable) He told me they would never wear clothing like I had on (referring to my bright red shorts) because they drew too much attention and were not sufficiently modest. I listened quietly but realised that the clothing he was wearing had become a part of his 'scene'. It was the badge of approval amongst his peers. It drew more attention than my red shorts.

Paul says we are to be modest which I understand to mean not to allow what I wear to draw attention to myself. Now, had I that day in Belize City found a less gaudy pair of shorts the choice of colours would have been different and were it not for the oppressive heat and the fact that I only had jeans with me apart from my riding gear, the only option available was to settle for bright red or put up with being steamed.

Sooo, adornment or clothing that flatters yourself and is designed for comment is a distraction and gets between your treasure (the gospel) and the other persons heart (unless of course the gospel is just an appendage that can be utilised when it's convenient)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anything can become a 'scene', be it wealth or poverty, torn jeans or mary dresses or the people we mix with.

In a Belize City market I once met a Mennonite fellow. Curious as the proverbial cat I introduced myself to him and asked about his faith. Prior to that I had been looking for a pair of shorts. It was sweltering and I was travelling by motorcycle and needed shorts with plenty of deep side pockets to house passport/money etc. All I could find after a considerable search was a bright red pair and I was wearing them. Anyway, as we chatted he was telling me the reason for the plain clothes he was wearing. (and they were plain, I guessed from the 18th century and subsequently very noticeable) He told me they would never wear clothing like I had on (referring to my bright red shorts) because they drew too much attention and were not sufficiently modest. I listened quietly but realised that the clothing he was wearing had become a part of his 'scene'. It was the badge of approval amongst his peers. It drew more attention than my red shorts.

Paul says we are to be modest which I understand to mean not to allow what I wear to draw attention to myself. Now, had I that day in Belize City found a less gaudy pair of shorts the choice of colours would have been different and were it not for the oppressive heat and the fact that I only had jeans with me apart from my riding gear, the only option available was to settle for bright red or put up with being steamed.

Sooo, adornment or clothing that flatters yourself and is designed for comment is a distraction and gets between your treasure (the gospel) and the other persons heart (unless of course the gospel is just an appendage that can be utilised when it's convenient)

Oh sure, I agree Quiet. I'm talking more attitudes and extremes that can split a church,. I always dress modestly, did not always!. I always keep a reverent attitude and appearance toward God...thanks!