Girl 9 beaten to death during exorcism...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been shocked by members on Christian forums claiming exorcism warranted when it clearly was not. And this story only re-enforces my concerns regarding those that don't understand when an exorcism is appropriate: Girl, 9, beaten to death with cane during ‘exorcism’: cops

From the article:

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka -- Police in Sri Lanka said Monday they have arrested two people in connection with the death of a 9-year-old girl who was repeatedly beaten during a ritual they believed would drive away an evil spirit.

The two suspects — the woman performing the exorcism and the girl's mother — appeared in court on Monday to hear charges over the girl's death, which occurred over the weekend in Delgoda, a small town about 25 miles northeast of the capital, Colombo. The court ordered the suspects detained until March 12.

According to police spokesperson Ajith Rohana, the mother believed her daughter had been possessed by a demon and took her to the home of the exorcist so a ritual could be performed to drive the spirit away.

Rohana said the exorcist first put oil on the girl and then began to repeatedly hit her with a cane. When the girl lost consciousness, she was taken to a hospital, where she died. An autopsy was scheduled for Monday.

The woman who performed the ritual on the girl was known in the area for offering such services in recent months and police were investigating whether anyone else had been abused, Rohana said.

Rohana urged the public to be careful about such services as the girl was not the first to die during such a ritual.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
First off, there is no claim in the report that the exorcism was performed by a woman claiming to be a "Christian." The report only tell us that a woman offered her services to chase spirits away from people.

In Sri Lanka, there are many "witch doctors" who offer their services to heal and drive spirits away from people and their houses. The country is predominately Buddhists, with many Buddhist temples built to stop the building of Christian Churches because of the way they law has been framed. The country also has a Hindu minority which practices and promotes "spiritual" services. Christians, the smallest minority in Sri Lanka, are persecuted and many pastors are falsely accused of crimes they did not or have not committed.

Before we go on a rant, we really do need to know the full story of what went down and who the people were in the story. The scant story does not give enough evidence to draw a conclusion as to what has happened.

Shalom

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been shocked by members on Christian forums claiming exorcism warranted when it clearly was not. And this story only re-enforces my concerns regarding those that don't understand when an exorcism is appropriate: Girl, 9, beaten to death with cane during ‘exorcism’: cops

From the article:

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka -- Police in Sri Lanka said Monday they have arrested two people in connection with the death of a 9-year-old girl who was repeatedly beaten during a ritual they believed would drive away an evil spirit.

The two suspects — the woman performing the exorcism and the girl's mother — appeared in court on Monday to hear charges over the girl's death, which occurred over the weekend in Delgoda, a small town about 25 miles northeast of the capital, Colombo. The court ordered the suspects detained until March 12.

According to police spokesperson Ajith Rohana, the mother believed her daughter had been possessed by a demon and took her to the home of the exorcist so a ritual could be performed to drive the spirit away.

Rohana said the exorcist first put oil on the girl and then began to repeatedly hit her with a cane. When the girl lost consciousness, she was taken to a hospital, where she died. An autopsy was scheduled for Monday.

The woman who performed the ritual on the girl was known in the area for offering such services in recent months and police were investigating whether anyone else had been abused, Rohana said.

Rohana urged the public to be careful about such services as the girl was not the first to die during such a ritual.

Umm,.. sounds like the exorcism wasn't a problem, the exorcist was. Anyways,.. poor thing. May she rest in peace. :(

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, there is no claim in the report that the exorcism was performed by a woman claiming to be a "Christian." The report only tell us that a woman offered her services to chase spirits away from people.

In Sri Lanka, there are many "witch doctors" who offer their services to heal and drive spirits away from people and their houses. The country is predominately Buddhists, with many Buddhist temples built to stop the building of Christian Churches because of the way they law has been framed. The country also has a Hindu minority which practices and promotes "spiritual" services. Christians, the smallest minority in Sri Lanka, are persecuted and many pastors are falsely accused of crimes they did not or have not committed.

Before we go on a rant, we really do need to know the full story of what went down and who the people were in the story. The scant story does not give enough evidence to draw a conclusion as to what has happened.

Shalom
I agree, but apparently Christian exorcisms are the new witch hunt: Exorcists are back – and people are getting hurt | Deborah Hyde

From the easy to find story, but you really have to read the whole meal:

A quick breeze around the Catholic Herald website certainly confirms that exorcism is a live topic. And in 2014, the Vatican officially recognised the International Association of Exorcists.

So what’s the problem? The first is that people get hurt. Really hurt. Recent UK government statistics suggest that almost 1,500 child-abuse cases a year are linked to notions of witchcraft and demonic possession. The Metropolitan police’s Project Violet was set up to explore child abuse connected to spiritual beliefs. I have written about Nigeria’s “witch children”. And there was the recent horrific case in Nicaragua of Vilma Trujillo, who died after being burned alive. This all demonstrates that the danger is neither localised nor irrelevantly ancient.

Second, those diagnosed as “demoniacs” often get spiritual rather than medical attention. The 2015 case of a GP struck off for taking a mental health patient to church for an exorcism is probably unusual in this country. But it should go without saying that distressed people benefit more from an evidence-based intervention than a belief that the Dark One is tormenting them.

Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are the traditional candidates for a false diagnosis of demonic infestation. The Catholic church includes psychiatric experts on its exorcism panels for balance and information. But there are other confusing conditions. Mental health charities estimate that between 5% and 28% of the adult population hear voices, and that most are not mentally unwell. Sleep paralysis is another common experience that can alarm those who don’t know about it. In both cases, the subject will probably be absolutely fine on finding out that they are neither at the beginning of a personal disintegration nor the target of demons. Superstition is simply not the most constructive therapy.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree, but apparently Christian exorcisms are the new witch hunt: Exorcists are back – and people are getting hurt | Deborah Hyde

From the easy to find story, but you really have to read the whole meal:

A quick breeze around the Catholic Herald website certainly confirms that exorcism is a live topic. And in 2014, the Vatican officially recognised the International Association of Exorcists.

So what’s the problem? The first is that people get hurt. Really hurt. Recent UK government statistics suggest that almost 1,500 child-abuse cases a year are linked to notions of witchcraft and demonic possession. The Metropolitan police’s Project Violet was set up to explore child abuse connected to spiritual beliefs. I have written about Nigeria’s “witch children”. And there was the recent horrific case in Nicaragua of Vilma Trujillo, who died after being burned alive. This all demonstrates that the danger is neither localised nor irrelevantly ancient.

Second, those diagnosed as “demoniacs” often get spiritual rather than medical attention. The 2015 case of a GP struck off for taking a mental health patient to church for an exorcism is probably unusual in this country. But it should go without saying that distressed people benefit more from an evidence-based intervention than a belief that the Dark One is tormenting them.

Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are the traditional candidates for a false diagnosis of demonic infestation. The Catholic church includes psychiatric experts on its exorcism panels for balance and information. But there are other confusing conditions. Mental health charities estimate that between 5% and 28% of the adult population hear voices, and that most are not mentally unwell. Sleep paralysis is another common experience that can alarm those who don’t know about it. In both cases, the subject will probably be absolutely fine on finding out that they are neither at the beginning of a personal disintegration nor the target of demons. Superstition is simply not the most constructive therapy.

I agree with you, but to sheet the problem to only "Christians" who operate to exorcise demons etc. from people is misleading on your part.

I have spent a little time in Sri Lanka, and have a sense of what might have gone down. Yes, before we are led to perform an exorcism by God, we need to be very sure of what is required of us. I know that there are no ritual norms that we should follow, in carrying out that exorcism. We should only be following the Leading of the Lord as much prayer and fasting may be required on our part.

Often the parent is wanting the best for their child but if the exorcism cost nothing within a Christian setting, is it as good as a witch doctor's offering for healing for a fee.

Shalom

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you, but to sheet the problem to only "Christians" who operate to exorcise demons etc. from people is misleading on your part.

I have spent a little time in Sri Lanka, and have a sense of what might have gone down. Yes, before we are led to perform an exorcism by God, we need to be very sure of what is required of us. I know that there are no ritual norms that we should follow, in carrying out that exorcism. We should only be following the Leading of the Lord as much prayer and fasting may be required on our part.

Often the parent is wanting the best for their child but if the exorcism cost nothing within a Christian setting, is it as good as a witch doctor's offering for healing for a fee.

Shalom

Hopefully nobody forgets the fasting part of the exorcism. As that was spelled out by Jesus. But I think identification of a possessed person needs to come from experienced religions so they don't get confused with mental illness or other.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

From the article:

The problem with ninety nine percent of exorcisms is the ones doing the exorcism aint really following JESUS to begin with ,
they like the jews of sceva . I mean look at Rome . It has lined up with clairovaints and others to help in exorcisms .
And in many other churches they THINK they gotta do this or that , and often bring beads , holy water or etc
YET paul never used any of that stuff . HE simply cast that demon out of that lady . The problem is
that most folks who do these exocisms do them by carnal means . THAT DONT WORK MY FRIEND .
Most folks dont follow Christ , so those demons they cannot cast out , but only endanger the life of said person .
Prayer and fasting also on certain spirits . JESUS said that , HE said THIS KIND comes not out but by prayer and fasting .
But we dont need dead beads and dumb objects to cast demons out . Folks put too much faith in dumb idols and in men .

Reactions: dev553344

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus cast out demons . So bible tells hanging should be done

No need for violence or shouting. Just a simple "come out of them!"
Exactly my friend . And no need for dumb idols and beads and non believers either .
Most folks forget that paul simply commanded the Spirit out of that lady and OUT IT CAME . JUST as JESUS had done .
AND most folks forget the example of the jews of sceva . THEY had no real faith in JESUS
but they took it upon themselves to use HIS NAME . AND the demon said , JESUS I KNOW and PAUL I KNOW
but who are YOU and it tore them UP . OUR FAITH , OUR HOPE , OUR TRUST MUST BE IN JESUS ALONE .
Not in men , beads and holy water and etc .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hopefully nobody forgets the fasting part of the exorcism. As that was spelled out by Jesus. But I think identification of a possessed person needs to come from experienced religions so they don't get confused with mental illness or other.
In the case of the dumb spirit that caused this , JESUS said that . That is the one SPIRIT that JESUS said can not come out lest by Prayer and fasting . WE dont need HOLY WATER and we sure dont need fake beads and any other dumb sticks and stone idols .
ALL we need is JESUS .

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I went tp a 5-day retreat/seminar where we spent 4 days learning about the heart that scripture calls wicked. We removed footholds, legal access points to a believer.
We dealt with demonic oppression, not possession. I was oppressed. Most believers have no idea what it really is.
On Friday morning, we had our deliverance session. It was something else.
It was real. It was amazing. It was difficult. It was worth it.

Reactions: dev553344

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It connects because people are turning to spiritual healers that are really just crackpots instead of medicine. Which is why the girl in the OP died.
Just like the vatican does . THEY are well known for using spiritual gurus and healers to help aide in exorcisms .
LOOK it up . Talk about deception .

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States