"Give us this day our daily bread."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 6:11 KJV
[11] Give us this day our daily bread.

Luke 11:3 KJV
[3] Give us day by day our daily bread.

What is the promise of daily bread?

2 Corinthians 5:3 KJV
[3] If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

What is the promise of clothing?

John 10:10 KJV
[10] The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Why was Paul hungry?

1 Corinthians 4:11 KJV
[11] Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;

2 Corinthians 11:27 KJV
[27] In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

Why was Paul hungry and naked when scripture says: Luke 12:27 KJV
[27] Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

1 Timothy 6:8 KJV
[8] And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

[10] The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Why was Paul hungry?

[11] Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;

[27] In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

[27] Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. He took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, “Take; this is my body.” For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

IHS....Mary

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" Matt 4:4

"Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world." John 6:31-33

Which day is it that we should not eat of the bread of God that giveth life?

First man tries to cover his own nakedness:

"And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." Gen 3:7

"For the bed is shorter than that a man can stretch himself on it: and the covering narrower than that he can wrap himself in it" Isaiah 28:20

But then God provides a better covering:

"Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them." Gen 3:21

"And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins." I Peter 4:8

Why was Paul hungry?

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled."Matt 5:6

"This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." John 6:50-51

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Joh_6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

and that is why

Joh_10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

he is our daily bread when we hear His voice.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your replies. Here is my struggle and why I asked: my husband worries over providing for our home, and sometimes we struggle with money. My husband always comes to me for reassurance and asks: "God promises us our daily bread, right? He promises we will have food and not go hungry. He promises clothing. God promises the bills will get paid."

Does He? Like the responses above; I hear a promise of spiritual provision. Does "give us our daily bread" ever mean money or physical provision for the day? Does God see to our physical needs or are we(the church) supposed to see to the needs of each other?(therefore fulfilling the will of God through love).

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your replies. Here is my struggle and why I asked: my husband worries over providing for our home, and sometimes we struggle with money. My husband always comes to me for reassurance and asks: "God promises us our daily bread, right? He promises we will have food and not go hungry. He promises clothing. God promises the bills will get paid."

Does He? Like the responses above; I hear a promise of spiritual provision. Does "give us our daily bread" ever mean money or physical provision for the day? Does God see to our physical needs or are we(the church) supposed to see to the needs of each other?(therefore fulfilling the will of God through love).

If we are leaning on Him and trusting Him completely He will provide our needs, but we do not always know what our needs are.

Usually if God is using in the ways we would expect our needs will include sufficient money and/or food and clothing for us to live in our flesh with reasonable comfort, but sometimes, God may ask something more of us. Something that may difficult for us to accomplish or painful or even impossible according to the flesh.

So according to flesh sometimes our best effort is insufficient to our goal and God lets it alone. Perhaps when we get into such a hard place, we may look to the Book of Job and say with Job's wife,
"... Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die." Job 2:9

Job did NOT follow his wife's advice, but the trials of his situation continued. Job thought he knew what his needs were, but apparently he did not really, but he never forsook God completely although he certainly had doubts when he wanted to reason with God as if he could convince God that the Almighty was somehow in error.

Solomon's word are a good place to look:

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Prov 3:5-6

And of course these words of Jesus:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

Again to our flesh our way may not seem easy, but when we get hold of the Lord it will be easy. Consider the situation of Stephen:

"And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord,
And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.
And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep." Acts 7:56-60

As his flesh was being killed by the thrown stones, he was looking at God and His Son. He did not speak of the pain of his body but of the glory of God. Still the flesh will hurt and the pressures of this world will assail us. If we leaning on Him will He not hold us up close to Him?

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" I Cor 10:13

If we are not given a way of escape [as with Jesus going to the cross, or as with Stephen being stoned to death] then will He not give us the necessary strength to be able to bear what we have to go through...?

I will be praying for you and yours.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Why was Paul hungry and naked
bc he toggles back and forth between literal and spiritual understanding, to illuminate the dialectic pov
First man tries to cover his own nakedness:

"And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." Gen 3:7

"For the bed is shorter than that a man can stretch himself on it: and the covering narrower than that he can wrap himself in it" Isaiah 28:20

But then God provides a better covering:

"Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them." Gen 3:21

"And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins." I Peter 4:8
exactly, yes

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Does God see to our physical needs or are we(the church) supposed to see to the needs of each other?(therefore fulfilling the will of God through love)."

Our local church saw to our needs one time, after we asked. They do this for others in the church, but we don't hear about it.
So, yes, the church is "supposed to see to the needs of each other".
May God bless your family.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Does He? Like the responses above; I hear a promise of spiritual provision. Does "give us our daily bread" ever mean money or physical provision for the day?
i see that A has answered you already, and doubt that i can improve upon that, but my answer is "yes, until you step in and take that over yourself."

do you need money to survive, do you think?

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Does God see to our physical needs
Hi there......I remember in the gospels Jesus explains that our Father does indeed know everything we need, even before we do and to this Jesus tells us to :" First seek the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you."......:"What Father would give his son a stone if he asked him for a fish..So if you, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give unto you? "
Then in one of the letters we are informed that :" He will supply all of our need according to the riches of His glory."
so there should be no doubt in us, that of course our Father will help us in every way possible....One thing though is, that often we don't have the faith to receive those things from Him, because we tend to put conditions on them.........It is mostly easier for us to pray for someone else to receive from above........It's a huge issue and comes down to us not knowing the Love of God as we ought ( although the full knowledge of His Love is not possible ), and the way we don't understand how it has become unconditional toward us now that Jesus did away with what was between us, ho0w He sees us as His children, and what Father wouldn't do anything He can for His children ? We just block Him too often, even though we don't realize it..
Your motives obviously have to be 'clean', it can't be from greed ( that should be a no brainer ), but you should certainly ask Him, which pleases Him.....Remember also Jesus saying :" Ask, seek and knock"......to truly please Him, ask Him in faith, nothing wavering......:)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you might ask how to learn to be happy with nothing, like a baby is; but beware, the lesson is liable to be pretty painful lol

God has given us bread(Christ) to eat where we will never hunger, the finest raiment, and unspeakable treasure...what more do we want?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
God has given us bread(Christ) to eat where we will never hunger, the finest raiment, and unspeakable treasure...what more do we want?
ha, well, not sure that i'll be able to work with all three of those analogies, but i guess in general we want to store the bread up for tomorrow, and come to the wedding in our street clothes, and...snub the treasure to oppose and exalt self over everything that is called God

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 12:24 KJV
[24] Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?

Luke 12:18-21 KJV
[18] And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. [19] And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. [20] But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? [21] So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

Matthew 13:29-30 KJV
[29] But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. [30] Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Malachi 3:10 KJV
[10] Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it .

Yes, money tithes (flesh) in OT teaching and preparing for the NT (Spirit). The blessing is Christ.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The harvest was then. The harvest is now. And the harvest is the end.

Genesis 8:22 KJV
[22] While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

Proverbs 10:5 KJV
[5] He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.

Jeremiah 8:20-22 KJV
[20] The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved. [21] For the hurt of the daughter of my people am I hurt; I am black; astonishment hath taken hold on me. [22] Is there no balm in Gilead; is there no physician there? why then is not the health of the daughter of my people recovered?

Matthew 9:37-38 KJV
[37] Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; [38] Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

Consider the parable of the workers that are hired last but receive the same. Be in the field. Or be on the rooftop. Wait upon the Lord.

John 4:35-38 KJV
[35] Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. [36] And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together. [37] And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth. [38] I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

The harvest: Bind the tares for the fire and gather the wheat into His barn. What is His barn? John 15:6 KJV [6] If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. Abide in Him.

The First Baptism (Water):
2 Peter 3:6-14 KJV
[6] Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: (Except those in the Ark.) The earth was first baptized with water.

Second Baptism(Fire):
The earth will be baptized with fire and cleansed of all wickedness. (Luke 12) "I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!" . Unlike Noah's ark which was built by mans hands which pointed to >>>The Ark of God which is Spiritual(Christ) and to be "in Christ" is the only way to withstand God's judgment and wrath. That is why the trying of our faith through an already "kindled" cleansing fire is so vital...to prove our Salvation is built on the foundation of Jesus Christ and will withstand in the day the books are open. Whether you believe the fire is Spiritual or literal...the earth will be consumed by His Holy presence.

[7] But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. [8] But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. [9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. [10] But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. [11] Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, [12] Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? [13] Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. [14] Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

Genesis 7:17 KJV
[17] And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.

Jeremiah 4:4 KJV
[4] Circumcise yourselves to the Lord , and take away the foreskins of your heart, ye men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem: lest my fury come forth like fire, and burn that none can quench it , because of the evil of your doings.

Mark 1:8-12 KJV
[8] I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

Zephaniah 3:8-9 KJV
[8] Therefore wait ye upon me, saith the Lord , until the day that I rise up to the prey: for my determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy. [9] For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord , to serve him with one consent.

Daniel 7:9-11 KJV
[9] I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire. [10] A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened. [11] I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame. Recommend: (Ezekiel 10: 2- 7)

We keep speaking of works and those works being judged.

(1 Corinthians) "Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is." This is the harvest.

He does it. No worries with trying to figure out every ones works and what they are... man will not be able to fake it. What is done of the flesh, instead of by the Spirit...will not make it through the fire. Even those saved will suffer loss from works of the flesh that do not make it through the fire.

Zechariah 13
13] Be silent, O all flesh, before the Lord : for he is raised up out of his holy habitation.

(Hebrews 9) So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

The harvest was then. The harvest is now. And the harvest is the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen