Gmail Alternative

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm looking to migrate away from Google/Gmail having a monopoly on all of my data. I am not going on a privacy rant, but I would like to split my services up a little bit more so that one company won't necessarily have all of my email preferences and search data.

I looked at Hushmail, but I am not thrilled with the interface. Hotmail/Outlook is a good solution, but along with Ymail you end up running into the usual "big 3" choice where I use their search engines as well from time to time.

Right now, I am investigating Fastmail. I wasn't a fan of Hushmail's interface, it was just a little too plain for me. I like Fastmail's so far. I used to host all of my own emails at my web hosting provider. While I've not ruled that out, I am tired of troubleshooting the occasional random email and find that I like a nice and quick interface that I can reach anywhere via mobile or desktop.

Anyone else have an alternative that you really like?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Don't server hosting companies usually have their own email? I would think you would be able to make a CYB email address.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd probably ask two questions:

1. What more specifically, do you not what them to have?

2. What do you plan on using the e-mail for?

Personally, I am just starting out with gmail and trying to continue to migrate to it. It has way too many cool features (including privacy ones) for me not to. Encrypting e-mails with pgp will keep even the NSA out. Aliases for my e-mail address, plus two-factor authentication are some of the things that have caused me to want to switch to gmail.