God’s Allotments

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God’s Allotments

A while ago God gave me a picture in my mind of some allotments. After praying about it became clear that in this spiritual picture the allotment plots represented the various denominations of the Church.

Now in the UK allotments are owned by the local council and are a series of plots with one boundary where people can have their own individual plots to grow fruit and veg. People being people none of the plots are perfect as some people are better gardeners than others and have a better vision of what they hope to achieve. Some plots are neater and more productive than others but apart from a very few which are unattended and left to nature they all produce crops depending on what is planted; they all bear some kind of fruit. They all have the same purpose – to grow a crop – but individual gardeners may go about achieving that aim in completely different ways and produce completely different crops.

God showed me that the various denominations of the Christian Church are a bit like these allotments. They all belong to the one God but are tended by vastly different people. But some ‘gardeners’ – pastors - are better than others and like the allotment plots, which are all individual, they do all bear spiritual fruit to one degree or another; some abundantly and others less so; and there are also the odd ones which have been badly tended for years and just seem to grow weeds.

I Googled images of allotments and if you try it you will see that there are all sorts, from the sublime to the ridiculous, from the flourishing to the floundering. It has really given me some food for thought.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl

1 Peter 5:1-4 LITV
(1) I, a fellow elder, exhort the elders among you, I being also witness of the sufferings of Christ, and being sharer of the glory about to be revealed:
(2) Shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight, not by compulsion, but willingly; nor eagerly for base gain, but readily;
(3) nor as exercising lordship over the ones allotted to you, but becoming examples of the flock.
(4) And at the appearing of the Chief Shepherd, you will receive the never fading crown of glory.

Made me think of this verse.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl

1 Peter 5:1-4 LITV
(1) I, a fellow elder, exhort the elders among you, I being also witness of the sufferings of Christ, and being sharer of the glory about to be revealed:
(2) Shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight, not by compulsion, but willingly; nor eagerly for base gain, but readily;
(3) nor as exercising lordship over the ones allotted to you, but becoming examples of the flock.
(4) And at the appearing of the Chief Shepherd, you will receive the never fading crown of glory.

Made me think of this verse.

Much love!
I like that. The translations I use say, 'entrusted to you' NIV and 'assigned to you care' NLT. But the LITV translation fits perfectly.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like that. The translations I use say, 'entrusted to you' NIV and 'assigned to you care' NLT. But the LITV translation fits perfectly.
The allotments bring a good visual.

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This also means that God puts us with certain pastors. He gives us pastors which are meant for us, and us for them.

Much love!

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This also means that God puts us with certain pastors. He gives us pastors which are meant for us, and us for them.

Much love!
What about those pastors that should never have been pastors because their calling wasn't from God but from other motives? I often wonder about that. Does God protect their 'flocks'?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about those pastors that should never have been pastors because their calling wasn't from God but from other motives? I often wonder about that.
There's another scary thought!

I don't know what to say about their congregants, but regarding them James is solemn, Let not many be teachers, knowing we will have a stricter judgment. I don't know what that's going to look like, but I don't want to run afoul of it!

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God showed me that the various denominations of the Christian Church are a bit like these allotments.
That would correspond to the parable of the sower and the various soils on which the seed was sown. That is indeed a picture of Christendom. At the same time, denominations are not what God planned but what men created.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That would correspond to the parable of the sower and the various soils on which the seed was sown. That is indeed a picture of Christendom. At the same time, denominations are not what God planned but what men created.
I would have thought the parable of the sower was more about an individuals response to the gospel. But I agree that God probably didn't plan it like that, but while we have them we have to accept that many who belong to them also belong to Jesus in a real way and are part of the bigger picture i.e. the One True Church.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I look at it as the differences in churches show the different building materials being used.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I look at it as the differences in churches show the different building materials being used.

Much love!
The Church belongs to God, but there are so many different manifestations of it these days. Some preaching the truth with zeal and fervour whilst others just pootle along with mediocre messages and false teachings.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would have thought the parable of the sower was more about an individuals response to the gospel. But I agree that God probably didn't plan it like that, but while we have them we have to accept that many who belong to them also belong to Jesus in a real way and are part of the bigger picture i.e. the One True Church.

I like Enoch's use of the word Christendom, which for me distinguishes the true church from the apparent church.

I like the parable of the treasure in the field. I see the man finds a treasure and sells all he has to buy the field it's in, the treasure hidden in it.

I see this as Jesus buys the everyone in the world to get the treasure, His people. But how are we hidden, since the church is huge and everywhere. But how many are true, and who are they?

Some true, some false, many false, and hard to tell apart.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Church belongs to God, but there are so many different manifestations of it these days. Some preaching the truth with zeal and fervour whilst others just pootle along with mediocre messages and false teachings.
Pootling along is something I definately want to abstain from!

:cool:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I like Enoch's use of the word Christendom, which for me distinguishes the true church from the apparent church.

I like the parable of the treasure in the field. I see the man finds a treasure and sells all he has to buy the field it's in, the treasure hidden in it.

I see this as Jesus buys the everyone in the world to get the treasure, His people. But how are we hidden, since the church is huge and everywhere. But how many are true, and who are they?

Some true, some false, many false, and hard to tell apart.

Much love!
Mark
My first church after I was saved was a Church of England. It was rather low key and pretty informal as CoE churches go, but the vicar was a lovely man of God and taught us about the power of the Holy Spirit and introduced a more relaxed type of worship at some of the services. A lot of the old faithfuls didn't like this 'new' teaching and new way of doing things and stayed away but there was a small core of us that embraced it wholeheartedly.

He was called John and used to take us to large gatherings in Manchester where we heard powerful preachers and learned wonderful new songs. We got filled with the Holy Spirit.

What I'm saying is that the treasure was there for everybody but so many didn't even see it 'cos they were steeped in their traditions and didn't want things to change.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My first church after I was saved was a Church of England. It was rather low key and pretty informal as CoE churches go, but the vicar was a lovely man of God and taught us about the power of the Holy Spirit and introduced a more relaxed type of worship at some of the services. A lot of the old faithfuls didn't like this 'new' teaching and new way of doing things and stayed away but there was a small core of us that embraced it wholeheartedly.

He was called John and used to take us to large gatherings in Manchester where we heard powerful preachers and learned wonderful new songs. We got filled with the Holy Spirit.

What I'm saying is that the treasure was there for everybody but so many didn't even see it 'cos they were steeped in their traditions and didn't want things to change.
"...were steeped in their traditions and didn't want things to change."
Stiff necked...unteachable. I found that in my last Church...they are very set and cemented in their beliefs...I wish they knew that God does do new things ♥ 19 Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

Reactions: Pearl and Helen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 25:24 "Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed".

PICJAG.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about those pastors that should never have been pastors because their calling wasn't from God but from other motives? I often wonder about that. Does God protect their 'flocks'?
You will always need to listen to and then follow God yourself in spite of good leaders, mediocre leader or even false leaders. If you do He will NOT lead you astray:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Apostle Paul wrote:

"Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ." I Cor 11:1

Paul meant to follow him AS he followed Christ. To know whether your pastor or minister is following God rightly you must be hearing from God yourself...

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl