God and the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[39] You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me;
[40] yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life. John 5:39-40 RSV

Is everyone praying constantly as Paul instructed us to do (1 Thessalonians 5:17)?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
[39] You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me;

Is everyone praying constantly as Paul instructed us to do (1 Thessalonians 5:17)?
that would be fairly hard with our current understanding of what “pray” means, i think?
4336 proseúxomai (from 4314 /prós, "towards, exchange" and 2172/euxomai, "to wish, pray") – properly, to exchange wishes

exchanged any wishes lately, Bob? What does that even mean, i wonder

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that would be fairly hard with our current understanding of what “pray” means, i think?
4336 proseúxomai (from 4314 /prós, "towards, exchange" and 2172/euxomai, "to wish, pray") – properly, to exchange wishes

I think to pray means to talk with God. I would talk to God, even if "pray" had a different definition. I hope people remember that praying doesn't just mean talking, but also listening. If we don't listen, we can't take advantage of all the advice God gives us. Right?

Reactions: shortangel

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I think to pray means to talk with God. I would talk to God, even if "pray" had a different definition. I hope people remember that praying doesn't just mean talking, but also listening. If we don't listen, we can't take advantage of all the advice God gives us. Right?
well Bob, i think “pray” is an englyshe word that loses some/most of the original import, and while Yah’s advice to me seems to usually come in the form of an irl example, i sure wouldn’t disagree with you there :)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well Bob, i think “pray” is an englyshe word that loses some/most of the original import, and while Yah’s advice to me seems to usually come in the form of an irl example, i sure wouldn’t disagree with you there :)
Paul tells us to pray constantly. That seems like good advice to me.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:39 . .You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you
have eternal life

That's still true even to this day; there are Jews actually believing they
obtain eternal life academically, i.e. from study. The Jehovah's Witnesses do
too; and they get that from John 17:3 which says, in their Bible:

"This means everlasting life: their taking in knowledge of you, the only true
God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."
_

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
have eternal life

_

First of all when it comes to John 5:39 that scripture is in no way telling people who are truly faithful disciples of Jesus Christ that they will not find everlasting life by studying the scriptures. Some use this passage of scripture and interprete it as though Jesus were discouraging the study of the scriptures to get eternal life. At John 5:39, 40, we read what Jesus said to some in his day: “You are searching the Scriptures, because you think that by means of them you will have everlasting life; and these are the very ones (scriptures they are studying) that bear witness about me. And yet you do not want to come to me that you may have life.” By that comment Jesus was not discouraging his Jewish listeners from studying the Scriptures. Instead, he was showing up their insincerity their inconsistency. They realized that the Scriptures could guide them to everlasting life, but the very Scriptures that they were searching also should have led them to the conclusion that Jesus was the Messiah. But, they refused to accept him. Studying was thus of no profit to them because they were not sincere, therefore not teachable about the truth concerning those scriptures that they were studying. That doesn't mean you can't gain eternal life by studying the scriptures, just because these Jews who were studying these scriptures would not listen to what the scriptures they were studying were actually saying. (Deuteronomy 18:15; Luke 11:52; John 7:47, 48)

You're like those jews, you take a scripture like John 5:39 and put your interpretation on it and just as those jews, who were studying the scriptures to get eternal life and did not listen to what those scriptures were actually saying, but instead they put their own private interpretation on them and believed something other than what those scriptures were actually saying, so do you. If those jews had listened to what those scriptures were actually saying and not going by their private interpretation of them, then they would have recognized Jesus as the Messiah. But because they were going by their own interpretation of these scriptures that they were studying to get eternal life but not listening to what those scriptures were actually saying they would never get everlasting life by studying them. Not because studying the truth which is in the scriptures doesn't teach us about who the only True God is and who his only begotten Son is so you can get eternal life, as you're trying to say by putting your private interpretation on John 5:39.

Last edited:

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
have eternal life

_
Jehovah’s Witnesses believe we obtain everlasting life from studying? I didn’t know that is what I believe.
Do you believe knowing the only true God and the one he sent, Jesus Christ has anything to do with gaining everlasting life? Or do you think someone can just emotionally declare themselves to be saved even though they know virtually nothing about God and Jesus? Does a person need to know God and Jesus to have faith in them?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If we do not understand what we need to understand, can we not ask for help and receive it?

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8

Reactions: bbyrd009

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do you pray 24/7? You should do a real study of what Paul said. It does not mean pray 24/7 without interruption or not thinking any other thoughts and concentrating on other things besides prayer.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
If we do not understand what we need to understand, can we not ask for help and receive it?

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8
hey, nice avatar :)

Reactions: amadeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you pray 24/7? You should do a real study of what Paul said. It does not mean pray 24/7 without interruption or not thinking any other thoughts and concentrating on other things besides prayer.
Well, Paul said, "Pray constantly." I try to pray 16/7 because I spend around eight hours in bed. Of course, we have our other thoughts and have other things to concentrate on.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Each and everyday, I pray for my family that they may become saved. Each day I get out of the house, I pray for safety or when traveling by car for traveling mercies. I thank God when I see beautiful landscape on the mountain side and see how beautiful the ocean looks from above the mountain. I thank God when I see natural blind people sing so majestically especially songs like Amazing Grace, Haleluia and the like. The list goes on and on.

Do you think I pray without ceasing or do you think, thanking God is not a form of a prayer?

To God Be The Glory

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Each and everyday, I pray for my family that they may become saved. Each day I get out of the house, I pray for safety or when traveling by car for traveling mercies. I thank God when I see beautiful landscape on the mountain side and see how beautiful the ocean looks from above the mountain. I thank God when I see natural blind people sing so majestically especially songs like Amazing Grace, Haleluia and the like. The list goes on and on.

Do you think I pray without ceasing or do you think, thanking God is not a form of a prayer?

To God Be The Glory

Thanks are definitely prayer. But Paul was not saying praying non-stop. When you look at the original language, you see Paul is exhorting us to pray in all situations, not a 24/7 prayer life.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks are definitely prayer. But Paul was not saying praying non-stop. When you look at the original language, you see Paul is exhorting us to pray in all situations, not a 24/7 prayer life.

You are correct of course, it is not a 24/7 prayer life and I don't think Paul is saying that either. But if I understand the meaning of the term "without ceasing" correctly, it means never stop giving praise to God for all good and perfect things. Amen?

To God Be The Glory

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct of course, it is not a 24/7 prayer life and I don't think Paul is saying that either. But if I understand the meaning of the term "without ceasing" correctly, it means never stop giving praise to God for all good and perfect things. Amen?

To God Be The Glory

Without ceasing is "adialeiptōs " and in this context means incessantly in the sense of fervency not necessarily in duration.

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is so true, The Bible does tell us to pray without ceaseing, & true thst prayer means talking to God & listening, he also answers prayer with yes, no, wait, he wants us to be patient so he can answer prayer in his timeing