God destroyed my dreams and chance at happiness!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DestroyedDreams

Jan 1, 2016
There's just something I want to get off my chest since I've been depressed lately. Forgive me for the rant my friends.

It has been said, "Faith is not believing God will make our ideas and plans happen if we give them to Him – it is a steadfast trust that what He leads us to and through is better than what we planned. It is choosing to believe that if He doesn’t make our original dreams come to pass, it’s because He has something better."

Why would he allow me to dream of these things then. My dream was to be an amazing singer known the world over for producing great music that brought joy in people’s lives. I had this dream ever since I was 10 years old and asked for piano lessons even earlier than that so I could learn to make music but NO, my parents(mother and grandmother) never got me the help I needed. Why would God put me in a family that wouldn’t allow me to do anything or go anywhere? I lived a very boring and uneventful sheltered life where I could build or explore my talents. Why allow me to have such BEAUTIFUL dreams if they weren’t meant for me? Why put me in a family that wouldn’t allow me to get the necessary skills to make my dreams come true?

Also he made me an ugly and short man, that’s awful. This has to be some sort of cruel joke or the fact that he just doesn’t exist maybe. Why would he do this to me knowing how I would feel? Why was he never there for me when I needed him most? I cried myself to sleep many nights but yet no help or answer came. God has really failed me BIG TIME and I’m just about ready to give up. Why live a life that you don’t want, especially when you’re not happy?

Please someone pray for me to receive help and guidance since He REFUSES to answer me and my prayers. :(

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I'll be praying for you. Do you belong to a Church with a pastor that you can talk to about this? They are there to help you with your spiritual growth,

I can't offer much advice from the limited information in this post, nor am I a pastor or a councilor. I think you should definitely talk to someone in person.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Here are some thoughts for you to ponder:

You don't give any indication of how old you are, DD.
Are you still dependent on your parents for everything?

Having unsympathetic parents never stopped a true musician, and not learning the piano doesn't close the doors to a musical career. My parents wouldn't let me learn the piano - so I taught myself the guitar.

Do you believe that God is in control of every little detail of your life - even every one of your dreams? I don't believe that myself. Many of us have dreams and ambitions that are totally unrealistic and will never be fulfilled, but God doesn't prevent us from having those dreams.

You need to talk to someone face-to-face, as has been suggested. If God hasn't given you the ability or the opportunity to be a singer, then He will have given you something else.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Why put me in a family that wouldn’t allow me to get the necessary skills to make my dreams come true?
I belong to a pagan family. Mother will major depression, father with cancer. I am 15. I do not put the blame on the Lord. God is with us, he have better plans for our future, I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is going to be revealed to us. Trust the Lord, I will pray for you.

I want to be a physicist when I was young, then plans changed, because I know God created the universe, and I am no longer interested for an answer "to everything"... Then, I wanted to be a doctor... but then I saw God healing people, and that too is out of mine. Now I consider living for God and to seek first the Kingdom of God.

Reactions: bbyrd009

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. - 1 John 5:4

My feelings are that you need to build your faith. And I have a web site designed to do the very thing... https://www.youtube.com/user/rockytopva

Father I pray blessings on this request and that you would build this believers faith in Jesus name I pray. Also taking these needs before God in prayer on the 1:15PM bbnradio.org Family Altar program.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
It is always beneficial to count your blessings when you think you have been "short changed" in life.....sometimes for whatever reason God decides we go a different direction than what WE had planned..we do not know why, and if we do not accept His word and go our own way we run into a lot of problems...but add up all the positives, also think about the plight of others...just because we do not realize our "dreams" think about all the people in the world who go without food, medicine and the basic necessities of life...now they have a real problem..and there are hundreds of millions of people in that situation, not to mention the horrors of war, day and night...now those are real problems....so I find it helps to think of these people and try to find ways to help them..shift your focus to others less fortunate that yourself....this brings to mind an old saying..."I was troubled because I had no shoes...then I saw a person with no feet....hope this helps you obtain a new perspective on life, and pray that God will help you realize your dreams and plans, and bless you with peace of mind!..God bless you!

IAM4JESUS

Jan 31, 2016
California
I have a bit of insight on that myself, my friend, as I have recently gone through something similar. I know from personal experience that holding on to dreams that God does not intend for us only keeps us from experiencing what He does intend for us. I know that it can be hard to let go of a dream, especially one dear to our hearts, My dream was to become a science fiction author. God gave me the intelligence, the talent, and the need to write. But it never panned out. Stories would go unfinished, ideas would become confused. Then one day just a few years ago He showed me why. I am now deep into my first book, only I am not writing science fiction, but about God. I write to inspire others to seek the truths of God for themselves now, and it is simply amazing how He leads me! All because I was not desiring to use my God given talents for God, but for myself. Maybe you have just not quite fallen in line with where God is leading you?

One more thing, my brother in Christ: You may not have to KILL this dream. Simply set it aside and inquire of our Father what His will is for you in your life. There may come a day when your desire will burst into life again, like the mythical phoenix from the ashes, only this time it will be God leading the way. Never give up faith in God, my brother. He does not always give us what we want, but there is ALWAYS the best of reasons! He loves us more than we can possibly imagine...

Father, I ask that you guide this young believer to your will. Give Him the strength to persevere in patience and humility, as we are called to. Ease his suffering, Father. In the name of your blessed Son, Jesus the Christ, I pray...
Amen!

hatedbyall

Mar 12, 2016
i have been where you are at. It is very difficult, and you get the thought "Where is this God of love?? Where??"

don't expect anyone who hasn't been through it to u/stand. I know i will probably have many more moments of thinking "Is what i believe in really real??" So i just accept that as part of life in this crazy, Satan-controlled wolrd.

and you do have to remember that last thing: it is a Satan controlled world. Evil rules in this awful place. He is against you. And all his followers (human ones as well as demonic) are against you, and against everyone else.

Fun..

but it is the nature of the beast.

I try to just focus on what i can do, what is right in front of me, and let tomorrow take care of itself. But of course, even that thought doesn't work sometimes.. There is more we don't know than what we know.. about God. He allows what he allows.. We don't know what the heck he is doing when this or that happens.. But at times like that, i tell msyelf to focus on.. well, different things, but one thing is: accepting that i do not understand

Lady Daffodil

Apr 29, 2016
I can imagine how frustrating this must be for you, and I feel for you. Don't give up, keep on praying. God has something for you, sometimes you just have to wait for it.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found your post by putting the words "God destroyed my life" in google although it is not true. It took me 40 years to realize my passion and what was God's path for my life. I found myself at a computer, a computer I didn't even know how to operate...and I began to put words to paper. I am a writer. A writer that never finished high school or read a book until my forties. For five years I consumed everything I could read on how to construct plots and I published. I was happy. RIght where I was supposed to be, aiming for that top one hundred best seller list that would make me feel like someone special. See, it would take fame to make this insecure awkward woman feel special. If I could only arrive at my definition of success, then all those people that hurt me over the years would be wrong. Top one hundred. If I could just hit that chart I would be somebody.

Then MS struck. Brain lesions took away my ability to focus. Complicated plots; I could not make my brain do them. Why would God take 40 years to give me a dream, give me the passion, and then take it away. I am writing this because your post broke my heart because you can't see...God is saving you. That drive you have to be before the world is not good. I bet if you dig deep and are honest, you will see it is self motivated. I hear a lot of self in your complaints. I am not condemning, because that's me too. Too much self. Your passion and love for singing is not wrong. So what if you are short? So what if the world doesn't receive you well? Who are you singing for? I bet you do really have talent. And those things you meantioned that have held you back, they are blessings too. Do you think God wants you going after the world, becoming caught up in what does not matter? NO! He wants you completely relying on him so you are His instrument, not the worlds. Today my job allows me to do the two things I love most: study His word and write. God gave me something better than plots; the Spirit to give insight into His Word. The passion and dream was never wrong...the motives were. Please stop hating on yourself and don't surrender! Do what makes you happy but put Him at the center. He loves you!

Reactions: Angelina

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DestroyedDreams said:
There's just something I want to get off my chest since I've been depressed lately. Forgive me for the rant my friends.

It has been said, "Faith is not believing God will make our ideas and plans happen if we give them to Him – it is a steadfast trust that what He leads us to and through is better than what we planned. It is choosing to believe that if He doesn’t make our original dreams come to pass, it’s because He has something better."

Why would he allow me to dream of these things then. My dream was to be an amazing singer known the world over for producing great music that brought joy in people’s lives. I had this dream ever since I was 10 years old and asked for piano lessons even earlier than that so I could learn to make music but NO, my parents(mother and grandmother) never got me the help I needed. Why would God put me in a family that wouldn’t allow me to do anything or go anywhere? I lived a very boring and uneventful sheltered life where I could build or explore my talents. Why allow me to have such BEAUTIFUL dreams if they weren’t meant for me? Why put me in a family that wouldn’t allow me to get the necessary skills to make my dreams come true?

Also he made me an ugly and short man, that’s awful. This has to be some sort of cruel joke or the fact that he just doesn’t exist maybe. Why would he do this to me knowing how I would feel? Why was he never there for me when I needed him most? I cried myself to sleep many nights but yet no help or answer came. God has really failed me BIG TIME and I’m just about ready to give up. Why live a life that you don’t want, especially when you’re not happy?

Please someone pray for me to receive help and guidance since He REFUSES to answer me and my prayers. :(
You end by saying God refuses to answer your prayers. Are you a Christian...as you never indicated? Have you accepted Christ as your Lord and Saviour and are born-again? If you haven't then that is where you need to start. You seem to have a very superficial faith. If you don't get what you want, then God has failed you.

God is a great dream destroyer. Why? Because our dreams are usually not the will of God for us. As one man of God once said, God breaks everything He gets His hands on. God is more interested in our eternal relationship with Him than our temporary dreams. And He spares nothing to obtain it. Nothing. He does whatever He needs to cultivate it. The end result is our will being aligned with His will. His desires become our desires.

And walking in the will of God, knowing you are in the will of God, knowing God is pleased where you are at, is the greatest place to ever be, whether you are singing before thousands in a Church, or getting ready to be martyred on the mission field. And you know your prayers are heard and answered because you pray for the things He desires.

Give up your dreams and seek to know God, which is only through Jesus Christ.

Stranger

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said stranger! I am so thankful you asked him the most important question: Is he saved? It is difficult to write everything God has brought you through in a post. My dream became an idol. What I didn't write was that first God broke the hold of this area. After reading your post I don't want to leave it as if I am advising a dream should come before God. If having your dream is the only thing that will make you happy, then you need to examine its obvious place over the happiness that only comes from God.

You are right. God's power is destructive. It disassembles every area of our life that is not of Him. What is sadly misunderstood and the reason I believe most people are angry and questioning God is this: There are arms of religions that tell you God wants to make you happy and comfortable. Because of this lie...we expect and when we don't get, we qusestion His existence. GOd has help me see that this moment in time is not important to him in light of eternity. Look at those that He loved dearly, those His word says many of us were not fit to know, they all died tradgically. The hard truth no one wants to acknowledge: Satan can not destroy your life without God willing it to be so. Satan is on a leash. Every single moment is fashioned by God. What a hard thing to read in the Old Testament, things the Lord ordered to be done:; violent destructive things. I imagine in that seemingly cruel moment I would have questioned Him but it all had purpose and was the will of God. HIs word says to not question the Maker's hands and why He fashions something a certain way. Moses questioned why The Lord was sending Him in when his speech was slow. IT made the Lord angry for Moses to question what He was telling him to do. Every single moment of our life is under God's sovereign control and has purpose toward His will for eternity. GOd does not regard this Life as the end result...He is working with Eternity in sight. We seriously hate on Him for what we do not understand. Example: a teacher has cancer. HIs entire classroom gathers outside his home and sing: Holy Spirit come fill this place. WE are moved and expectant. The man dies and every one walks away questioning and blaming God. Our focus is on this life. Maybe the Spirit did work and the man was on his knees, completely broken before a loving and merciful God, and for the first time in his life the man truly set things right with God. Children suffering? Those that are so precious before God suffer in this life...it is the truth...His son was and is precious. This world is a mere blimp compared to eternity. The problem is...we invest way too much in the physical. I am sorry. I had to get that off my chest. HIs Word validates how insignificant the flesh is when God's Will has far greater significance.

Proverbs 27:7 KJV
[7] The full soul loatheth an honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
i wonder what criteria you guys are suggesting for "saved" here; but i guess we've been over that already. My advice is to run from this, though.
DestroyedDreams said:

ya free will is a terrible and wonderful thing.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.

I think if you are not happy with nothing, you will not be happy even with everything. But that doesn't mean you can't go get piano lessons, if you imagine that you need them. Best of luck.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Warning!! Zombie thread!! This was posted January of last year and was the users only post.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus

Your testimony and understanding of our God and Christ is very encouraging. Suffering is indeed the way we learn of Him.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ya, i liked that, too; except for the "GOd has help me see that this moment in time is not important to him in light of eternity" part. While i do understand the characterization, i think it immunizes believers against the here and now, when taken too far, which it seems to be taken too far most of the time.

heavenforbid

Feb 9, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
DestroyedDreams said:

I'll tell you this, whichever God did this to you is not this God.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
Born_Again said:
Warning!! Zombie thread!! This was posted January of last year and was the users only post.
Another one and done Zombie thread? CyB members should do their research before answering these threads.

Thank you Born_Again.