God has Spoken

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'God, Who at sundry times and in divers manners
spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son,
Whom He hath appointed heir of all things,
by whom also He made the worlds;

(Heb 1:1-2)

Hello there,
I am in the process of studying the Scriptures in regard to these 'sundry times' and 'divers manners'; and have learned that He spake directly at first to such as Adam and Eve, Noah and Enoch, to Abraham and the Patriarchs which followed him, down to the calling of Moses at the burning bush, at Exodus 3:10.

* Then from the formation of the nation of Israel in Exodus 1, He spake unto 'the fathers' of the Hebrew nation. Moses being the first, and John the Baptist being the last and greatest of them (Matthew 11:11) - (Exodus to Malachi, with Matthew 1:1-3:12).

Malachi, the last of the Old Testament prophets, ends by foretelling the nearness of the sending of the Messiah, and of the messenger who would prepare the way before Him (Malachi 3:1).

* From that time God spake 'by His Son' (Hebrews 1:1-2), for the Lord Jesus did not speak His own words, but the words of Him that sent Him. (Deuteronomy 18:18-19; & John 7:16; 8:28; 8:46-47; 12:49; 14:10; 14:24; 17:8). He began with the thrice repeated words, 'it is written', and His earthly ministry ended with three references to the origin and truth of the Word of God (John 17:8,14,17).

* From the time that our Lord ascended into heaven, until the final rejection of Peter's repeated call to the nation of Israel to repent (Acts 2:38; 3:19-26 to Acts 28:25-28), God spake by 'them that heard Him' (Hebrews 2:3). These only 'confirmed' what the Son had spoken, and did not go beyond what the Son Himself had said, God bearing them witness by miracles and gifts (Hebrews 2:4). (see:- The Acts of the Apostles, the Apostolic Epistles, and the early epistles of Paul, written during this period - before Acts 28).

* From that time God spake again directly, by the Spirit of Truth, as foretold and promised by Christ in John 16:12-15. Who spoke only what He heard from the Father. For the Father kept all these 'times and seasons' in His own authority (Acts 1:7). He spake, as before, by recording His words in the Scriptures (or writings) of truth, by means of the Apostle Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus. Through Him, he recorded precious doctrines, till then unknown, until the facts of Christ's suffering, death, resurrection, and ascension had taken place, on which these doctrines were based. These doctrines are found in the prison epistles of Paul (Ephesians Philippians and Colossians) with those to Timothy, Titus and Philemon.

* John the Evangelist, the servant of Jesus Christ also bare record of the word of God and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that He saw (Revelation 1:1-2). To these times belong the apocalypse.

* Six times and manners therefore are recorded, for our learning:-
- By direct communication
- By 'the prophets'
- By 'His Son'
- By 'them that heard Him'
- By ''the Spirit of truth.'
- By 'Paul the prisoner of Jesus Christ'

Praise God!

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: soul man

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
* From the time that our Lord ascended into heaven, until the final rejection of Peter's repeated call to the nation of Israel to repent (Acts 2:38; 3:19-26 to Acts 28:25-28), God spake by 'them that heard Him' (Hebrews 2:3). These only 'confirmed' what the Son had spoken, and did not go beyond what the Son Himself had said, God bearing them witness by miracles and gifts (Hebrews 2:4). (see:- The Acts of the Apostles, the Apostolic Epistles, and the early epistles of Paul, written during this period - before Acts 28).
I take issue right here. The apostles on Pentecost were promised the HS in John 13-16. They, including Peter, were told they would be guided into all truth. But what you just said is that Peter wasn’t given all truth. Nobody in all the NT was to go beyond what Jesus said.

* From that time God spake again directly, by the Spirit of Truth, as foretold and promised by Christ in John 16:12-15. Who spoke only what He heard from the Father. For the Father kept all these 'times and seasons' in His own authority (Acts 1:7). He spake, as before, by recording His words in the Scriptures (or writings) of truth, by means of the Apostle Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus. Through Him, he recorded precious doctrines, till then unknown, until the facts of Christ's suffering, death, resurrection, and ascension had taken place, on which these doctrines were based. These doctrines are found in the prison epistles of Paul (Ephesians Philippians and Colossians) with those to Timothy, Titus and Philemon.
The Spirit was already speaking through Peter and the other apostles. Jn 16 was spoken directly to Peter and the others like John. Peter preached the death burial and resurrection of Jesus.

- By 'the prophets'
- By 'His Son'

Praise God!

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Your list should omit them that heard him and should stop at the Spirit. The only revelation that came after Pentecost would have been how the gentiles were to be fellow heirs and accepted along with the Jews. And that revelation was first given to Peter and not to Paul.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I take issue right here. The apostles on Pentecost were promised the HS in John 13-16. They, including Peter, were told they would be guided into all truth. But what you just said is that Peter wasn’t given all truth. Nobody in all the NT was to go beyond what Jesus said.
Hello @CNKW3,

Thank you for responding to the OP.

Yes the Apostles were promised the Holy Spirit in John 14:16-17:-

'And I will pray the Father,
.. and He shall give you another Comforter,
.... that He may abide with you for ever;
Even the Spirit of truth;
.. whom the world cannot receive,
.... because it seeth Him not,
...... neither knoweth Him:
but ye know Him;
.. for He dwelleth with you,
.... and shall be in you.'

(John 14:16)

* The Holy Spirit would take of the things of Christ and make them known unto them. He would bring to their remembrance all that the Lord Jesus Christ had said:-

'But the Comforter,
which is the Holy Ghost,
whom the Father will send in my name,
he shall teach you all things,
and bring all things to your remembrance,
whatsoever I have said unto you.'

(John 14:26)

CNKW3:- The Spirit was already speaking through Peter and the other apostles. Jn 16 was spoken directly to Peter and the others like John. Peter preached the death burial and resurrection of Jesus.

* Yes, Peter and the rest of the twelve were able to preach concerning the death, buriel, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ for it had happened, and they were witnesses of it. This was part of their brief, to be witnesses of what they had seen and heard the Lord Jesus Christ do and say, and of the resurrection that they witnessed. They received power from on high at Pentecost which equipped them for that task.

CNKW3:- Your list should omit them that heard him and should stop at the Spirit. The only revelation that came after Pentecost would have been how the gentiles were to be fellow heirs and accepted along with the Jews. And that revelation was first given to Peter and not to Paul.

* I disagree with you here, for all that the Apostles and Paul preached is a matter of written record, so all of these things can be verified. Peter opened the door to the Kingdom, under Divine instruction, to the Gentiles: but revelation was given to Paul, as the Divinely appointed Apostle to the Gentiles, concerning what followed.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
addressing the OP, good topic.

now saying anything is right or wrong, but consider this. it was JESUS, the true God speaking all the time. if by the prophets, scripture, 1 Peter 1:10 "Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace [that should come] unto you:
1 Peter 1:11 "Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow".

it was the Spirit of Christ, JESUS who was in the prophets speaking to them. what else did Peter say,, 2 Peter 1:21 "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost".

the Holy Ghost is JESUS, who is the Son, diversified in Flesh.

one voice speaking all the time. just as in tongues, only one tongue speaking, JESUS.be it unknown, other, or new.

just something to consider.

PICJAG.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
addressing the OP, good topic.

now saying anything is right or wrong, but consider this. it was JESUS, the true God speaking all the time. if by the prophets, scripture, 1 Peter 1:10 "Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace [that should come] unto you:
1 Peter 1:11 "Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow".

it was the Spirit of Christ, JESUS who was in the prophets speaking to them. what else did Peter say,, 2 Peter 1:21 "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost".

one voice speaking all the time. just as in tongues, only one tongue speaking, JESUS.be it unknown, other, or new.

just something to consider.

PICJAG.
'In the beginning was the Word,
.. and
the Word was with God,
.... and
the Word was God.
The same was in the beginning with God.
.. All things were made by Him;
.... and without Him was not any thing made that was made.
In Him was life;
.. and the life was the light of men.'

(John 1:1-4)

Praise God!

Hello @101G,

What was it in the OP, which caused you to feel that this point had to be made?

I also believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is God: that God took upon Himself the form of a man* in order to redeem**. That He is 'the Word', and as such, was there in the beginning with God, and was God.
'Who, being in the form of God,
.. thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
.... But made Himself of no reputation,
...... and took upon Him the form of a servant,
........ and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man,
.. He humbled Himself,
.... and became obedient unto death,
...... even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him,
.. and given Him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
.. of things in heaven,
.... and things in earth,
...... and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
.. to the glory of God the Father.'

(Philippians 2:6)

'But when the fulness of the time was come,
God sent forth His Son,
.... made of a woman,
...... made under the law,

To redeem them that were under the law,
.. that we might receive the adoption of sons.

And because ye are sons,
.. God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts,
.... crying, Abba, Father.'

(Galations 4:4)

* I hear and acknowledge the verses you have referred to, and believe what they have to say.

* God is both, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

* I believe that God is now silent: that the written record of His Words and Works have been given and that it is the sum of all revelation. That the Holy Spirit works within us by means of that written Word: but, with respect, I believe that 'tongues' that you refer to have ceased.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is completely false. You are bound and determined to promote this error.

THE FATHER IS NOT THE SON NOR THE SPIRIT
THE SON IS NOT THE FATHER NOR THE SPIRIT
THE SPIRIT IS NOT THE FATHER NOR THE SON

As to the OP, in contrast to God speaking to Israel through the prophets, the writer of Hebrews (Paul) emphasizes in chapter 1 that it is GOD THE SON who has now spoken to us the words of GOD THE FATHER. And in this chapter the Father addresses the Son as "God" (vv 8,9) who has been anointed with the oil of gladness above His fellows.

Something which we overlook is that God actually spoke to Israel directly on Mount Sinai, but because they were fearful (and rightly so) God then gave all His commandments, statutes, and judgments through Moses.

DEUTERONOMY 4
12 And the LORD spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard the voice of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice.
13 And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

14 And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go over to possess it.
15 Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the LORD spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire:..

Israel did not see God but heard His voice on Mount Sinai. But when Jesus of Nazareth came to Israel, Israel both saw and heard God in the flesh, yet failed to acknowledge Him (mostly).

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @CNKW3,
* I disagree with you here, for all that the Apostles and Paul preached is a matter of written record, so all of these things can be verified. Peter opened the door to the Kingdom, under Divine instruction, to the Gentiles: but revelation was given to Paul, as the Divinely appointed Apostle to the Gentiles, concerning what followed.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
All I’m saying is that it was the Spirit that guided ALL of them including Paul into all truth. Your list suggest that the Spirit led a few of them but Paul came and had something different beyond what the Spirit had done. He would not have had his own message he would have been led by the Spirit as well.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
All I’m saying is that it was the Spirit that guided ALL of them including Paul into all truth. Your list suggest that the Spirit led a few of them but Paul came and had something different beyond what the Spirit had done. He would not have had his own message he would have been led by the Spirit as well.
Hello there,

Forgive me if I gave that impression, for it was certainly not what I intended.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if you say that we're in error, then reconcicle John 1:3 and Isaiah 44:24. is this the same PERSON yes or no? ... (smile).

your answer please.

PICJAG.

It needs no reconciling. That the Son is God is true. That the Father is God is true. That the Holy Spirit is God is true. All three Persons were active in the creation.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm not sure I understand all your saying here. Paul did have his own gospel, his own message. It was given him by the resurrected Christ. (Gal. 1:11-12) (Eph. 3:4-5)

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if all three are active in creation, why did the Lord Jesus said this, Matthew 19:4 "And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made [them] at the beginning made them male and female".

and male and female is at the creation? now, how many is "HE?"

your answer please.

PICJAG.

I have already told you God is He, and God is One. He is One God. But God is three Persons.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no, you have told us NOTHING, clearly the "HE" that made all things said that "I AM the LORD". listen, Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I [am] the LORD that maketh all [things]; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself". the HE here who made all things is the "LORD". so now, the "WORD" in John 1:3 MADE ALL THINGS. the question we're asking is the "he" in Isaiah 44:24 is this the same "he" in John 1:3 yes or No?

your answer please.

PICJAG.

You're creating a problem that doesn't exist. Yes, the LORD made all things. Yes all things were made by Him.

Stranger

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

Please stop arguing about this, it has been done so many times, and what matters is God. That He has spoken. It is the Word of God itself which has used the words, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, to describe the several manifestations of God, in the accomplishing of His purpose, so just let each usage speak, and praise Him for condescending to explain the infinite, to we finite beings, in words that we can understand.

Praise His Holy Name!

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@charity, forgive me for the post i made. will not post nothing else. so please excuse me.

PICJAG.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'God, Who at sundry times and in divers manners
spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son,
Whom He hath appointed heir of all things,
by whom also He made the worlds;

(Heb 1:1-2)

Hello there,
I am in the process of studying the Scriptures in regard to these 'sundry times' and 'divers manners'; and have learned that He spake directly at first to such as Adam and Eve, Noah and Enoch, to Abraham and the Patriarchs which followed him, down to the calling of Moses at the burning bush, at Exodus 3:10.

* Then from the formation of the nation of Israel in Exodus 1, He spake unto 'the fathers' of the Hebrew nation. Moses being the first, and John the Baptist being the last and greatest of them (Matthew 11:11) - (Exodus to Malachi, with Matthew 1:1-3:12).

Malachi, the last of the Old Testament prophets, ends by foretelling the nearness of the sending of the Messiah, and of the messenger who would prepare the way before Him (Malachi 3:1).

* From that time God spake 'by His Son' (Hebrews 1:1-2), for the Lord Jesus did not speak His own words, but the words of Him that sent Him. (Deuteronomy 18:18-19; & John 7:16; 8:28; 8:46-47; 12:49; 14:10; 14:24; 17:8). He began with the thrice repeated words, 'it is written', and His earthly ministry ended with three references to the origin and truth of the Word of God (John 17:8,14,17).

* John the Evangelist, the servant of Jesus Christ also bare record of the word of God and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that He saw (Revelation 1:1-2). To these times belong the apocalypse.

- By 'the prophets'
- By 'His Son'

Praise God!

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Enjoyed your message. The first verse quoted sums up the matter. God does not speak to us by Adam, or Abraham, or Isaac, or Jacob, or even one of the prophets. He spoke at one time by these, but now He has spoken to us by His Son. The Son that finished the Father's work on the cross, and He speaks to us by that cross. Paul determined to know nothing but the cross and it's finished work. You want to hear your Father speak, look no further than the cross.

Reactions: charity