God is Good

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am here to say that God is good and through some of my hardships I have seen His saving grace. In the moments of pain where I thought no good purpose could come, God used as the foundation of my life purpose / ministry.

My father went to prison before I was six for killing my stepmother and growing up without him was a deep hurt but at the same time I was so young that his absence felt "normal" in a way. On Christmas Eve, 2012, we got a call saying my brother was arrested for attempted murder. Right when I thought life was smoothing out from all the family deaths we experienced, including my uncles suicide, I got punched right across the face with this new trial. How could both my father and brother do such horrible crimes? My hurt felt more than my faith. Fast forward a few years and during the first trial the prosecutor put in information he knew he was not allowed to, he did this to cause a mistrial because the jury was more in favor towards my brother. I was pissed off. I did not want to endure another trial, especially when your loved one is looking at +30 years in prison. I remember telling my wife in my great hurt that people can take Jeremiah 29:11 and shove it up their (you know what) - that sometimes God's plans are not for good. Wow...how WRONG and shortsighted I was.

The 2nd trial something amazing happened. My brother was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole. I thought for sure he would get 25-30 years before he could get parole...nope...They came back and said 15 years. My brother's lawyer said that during the time of the first trial the regular sentence was 38 years for his crime but now for whatever reason the sentencing time went down. Waiting an extra 2 years took off nearly HALF of my brothers sentence. 15 years to life is still a long time but it is manageable. I couldn't imagine having my brother doing 38 years and my father was sentenced 30 years.

It took me a long time to cope and process these events and it was a faith battle. I still hurt over the situations of both my father and brother but I've come a long way with God's help, patience, and mercy. I see how God has shown my brother mercy in many ways. I want us all to remember that in the moment of hurt, as difficult as it is to see past that hurt, God can use it for good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoneman777

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
What we consider "good" is generally what works out best for us.. God is good, but the sinful things people do are evil. Your father and brother committed awful crimes, but I doubt that your brothers victim would consider his lighter sentence to be a "good" thing? jmo

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What we consider "good" is generally what works out best for us.. God is good, but the sinful things people do are evil. Your father and brother committed awful crimes, but I doubt that your brothers victim would consider his lighter sentence to be a "good" thing? jmo

Just your opinion is exactly what it is too. If I took the long time to explain every detail of the abuse growing up and the things he has been through you might think of it differently. Not sure why you commented in a negative way seeing that this is in a testimony forum.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's sad, but don't give up on your brother, keep on praying, God can turn anybody's life around. And you are right God is good even in the bad times, praise Jesus for his mercy.

I pray your brother comes out a changed man, I pray he comes out of jail a man of God when he is released. In Jesus name Amen.

Last edited:

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Just your opinion is exactly what it is too. If I took the long time to explain every detail of the abuse growing up and the things he has been through you might think of it differently. Not sure why you commented in a negative way seeing that this is in a testimony forum.

Nothing negative about it, I was just pointing out that a person getting a lighter sentence for attempted murder may be goods news for his family, but the person who suffered his attack may perceive it as bad news. I hope your brother has repented and changed, I didn't mean to insinuate that he wasn't worthy of mercy and forgiveness. I'm glad you've kept your faith through all you've been through.

Reactions: LC627 and Pisteuo

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing negative about it, I was just pointing out that a person getting a lighter sentence for attempted murder may be goods news for his family, but the person who suffered his attack may perceive it as bad news. I hope your brother has repented and changed, I didn't mean to insinuate that he wasn't worthy of mercy and forgiveness. I'm glad you've kept your faith through all you've been through.

Gotcha, I can understand that. Thank you for carifying I appreciate it :) Yes, He has repented and turned to God through this whole mess. He has good days and bad days like us all but he is pressing forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Josho and Dan57

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gotcha, I can understand that. Thank you for carifying I appreciate it :) Yes, He has repented and turned to Through this whole mess. He was good days and bad days like us all but he is pressing forward.

That's great news to hear that, praise the Lord. :)

Reactions: LC627