God or LORD God, Which is it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
God who is he?
A few years back I was watching a Professor of Theology giving a bible study on Genesis. His wife was Jewish and he also spoke about some of her knowledge.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
God created

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
God said, let us (had to be angels)

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
God created and had input from the angels

Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Gen 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

Now something new shows up ‘LORD’ which is not a title but the name of the same God of Gen 1 of which the Jew could not use because it was sacred. The Professor when he asked his wife why LORD is used. She said “there are many Gods, but only one LORD God of Israel. His name is scared so we replace it with LORD”.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

LORD God formed a man, no woman.

Gen 2:8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

This man was not told to go and replenish the earth, he was put in a garden.

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Now, LORD God tells the man keep up the garden.

God created mankind and LORD God formed ‘Adam’ and then later ‘Eve’.

If you can grasp this, the whole bible will become new to you.

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

LORD God formed every beast of the field, that would be domesticated animals.

Gen 2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

LORD God made a woman from the rib of Adam.

Do you see the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2?

You can now read through your bible and know who LORD God represents.

Just in this short study one can see that there was a creation of mankind while the other was a man who was formed and this man has a covenant with God.

When you read through the Old Testament you will see !

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wow, I'm not sure if I completely get your point, which incriminates either you or me, but that was way too radical to take serious?
You're differentiating between 'God' and 'LORD God', in the span of 2 chapters, in order to conclude that, what, two different creations of humans? One was mankind, as in several, and the other was Adam, a single human.
Or are you saying that 'God' and 'LORD God' are two different deities?
Bizarre?

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Wow, I'm not sure if I completely get your point, which incriminates either you or me, but that was way too radical to take serious?
You're differentiating between 'God' and 'LORD God', in the span of 2 chapters, in order to conclude that, what, two different creations of humans? One was mankind, as in several, and the other was Adam, a single human.
Or are you saying that 'God' and 'LORD God' are two different deities?
Bizarre?

It is personal. To someone who has no attachment to God he is just God. To family it is Jehovah, which God's children would not write out, for it was sacred.
Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is personal. To someone who has no attachment to God he is just God. To family it is Jehovah, which God's children would not write out, for it was sacred.
Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.
I see, you're just bringing out a nuance in understanding.
That's fine, you're saying that some think and refer to him as deity, others as Father, is that your point?
One's a relationship, the other is just an existential fact?

Reactions: Pisteuo

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
That's fine, you're saying that some think and refer to him as deity, others as Father, is that your point?

No, In Old testament it shows function of God, there are god (lower case), God (upper case) and LORD God. Each one is used to point out the function. god - the angels, God - the one and only - Lord God - the one and only Almighty God speaking of his children, starting with Adam.

Three uses but only one is speaking of the angels.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, In Old testament it shows function of God, there are god (lower case), God (upper case) and LORD God. Each one is used to point out the function. god - the angels, God - the one and only - Lord God - the one and only Almighty God speaking of his children, starting with Adam.

Three uses but only one is speaking of the angels.
I don't believe that there are any lower case letters in Hebrew. And the earliest Greek manuscripts were majuscules. Thus, if your exegesis is based on punctuation or capitalization, which is entirely a human and interpretive construct, i think that you are misleading yourself. I do understand that Elohim has various uses throughout the OT, and not all are referring to God.
But, I personally think that your comprehension of the usage of Lord, capitalized or not, is completely subjective and not to be held to dogmatically.
I disagree with it, I don't believe that you've discovered a reliable rule to assist one in Biblical exegesis.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God or LORD God, Which is it?
It is noteworthy that until God began dealing with mankind, He is called Elohim (God). But as soon as man is introduced He becomes Yahweh (or Jehovah) Elohim (LORD God). So God's relationship with humans involves the various aspects of Yahweh/Jehovah. And there are many names of God associated with Yahweh/Jehovah. Which means that He no longer remains an impersonal Creator, but He also becomes the Sustainer and Redeemer.

Reactions: Nancy

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is noteworthy that until God began dealing with mankind, He is called Elohim (God). But as soon as man is introduced He becomes Yahweh (or Jehovah) Elohim (LORD God). So God's relationship with humans involves the various aspects of Yahweh/Jehovah. And there are many names of God associated with Yahweh/Jehovah. Which means that He no longer remains an impersonal Creator, but He also becomes the Sustainer and Redeemer.
Sorry Enoch111, God is immutable, transcendent, all knowing and all wise. Both his character or Word never changes.
God was never, ever an impersonal creator, for just the fact that he created, shows that he loved his creation. i.e. he didn't create to amuse himself, but rather, so that creation can enjoy the life and love that he had to offer. He didn't need us, we needed Him.

Although the authors of either Genesis, the Torah, or the Tanakh vary, one should not try and read to much into their writing styles.
All the attributes that you defined about God, are all true in any era or dispensation. If in one particular epoch, he happened to display more of one side of his character, than another, that's just circumstantial and not definitive. I don't believe that you are saying that he changes, but delineating an era as though it was meant to introduce or emphasize a certain characteristic of God, is not valid.
God was merciful, loving, providential, patient, wrathful and austere, throughout every dispensation and moment of human history.
For again, just the fact that he decided to create all that he did, revealed his affection and personal nature (we were created in his image to commune together).

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sorry Enoch111, God is immutable, transcendent, all knowing and all wise. Both his character or Word never changes.
Why did you try to deliberately MISREPRESENT what I said? That shows that you have another agenda which is not entirely honest.

Of course God is immutable, and I did not say He changes. But His dealings with mankind do change over time, and that is very clear from Scripture. Thus we have the various dispensations and the various covenants.

Reactions: Nancy

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why did you try to deliberately MISREPRESENT what I said? That shows that you have another agenda which is not entirely honest.

Of course God is immutable, and I did not say He changes. But His dealings with mankind do change over time, and that is very clear from Scripture. Thus we have the various dispensations and the various covenants.
You made it sound like within 2 -3 chapters, he suddenly changes demeanor or objective?
My points are valid, for from Book 1, Chapter 1, Verse 1, right up to Book 66, Chapter 22, Verse 21, God reveals all facets of his character. Like I said, only a loving, providential and solicitous Being, would even consider creating an universe for creatures to commune with Him and others.

If you were talking about Covenants or dispensations, then I'm sorry, I misunderstood you.
But again, it seemed like you were demarcating certain aspects of God's character, by the Author's usage of certain proper nouns and appellations for God. This, I consider to be, employing eisegesis.
My point is, I wouldn't define God's objectives or character by how He is referred to, as far as pronouns, proper nouns or titles are concerned.
I think that it is his actions, even in a small and daily sense, that define his character, and ultimately, his will.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
What I am trying to bring out is God is God to everyone except to Adam and his children. Adam is the son of God and Adams children are God's grand children. The people created in Gen 1 are not. They were created by God not Jehovah God. Same God, different function.
T
Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

The sons of God are not angels, and the daughters of men are not daughters of God.

We need to see that there were two creations.

LORD God is Jehovah God, the Father of Adam, not mankind.

Last edited:

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I am trying to bring out is God is God to everyone except to Adam and his children. Adam is the son of God and Adams children are God's grand children. The people created in Gen 1 are not. They were created by God not Jehovah God. Same God, different function.
T
Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

The sons of God are not angels, and the daughters of men are not daughters of God.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Reactions: r1xlx and DNB

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
T

You absolutely scare me! That is beyond absurd.
You will never find more than 5 passages in the entirety of Scripture, to support your hypothesis.
Even if you were, subjectively, able to find 10, it would never be enough to substantiate such a radical and paramount conclusion.

Reactions: Renniks

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
You absolutely scare me! That is beyond absurd.
You will never find more than 5 passages in the entirety of Scripture, to support your hypothesis.
Even if you were, subjectively, able to find 10, it would never be enough to substantiate such a radical and paramount conclusion.

Even before I begin studying the bible, rather than just reading, I saw that there was a difference in Gen 1 and Gen 2.

I ask you to read Gen 1 and Gen 2 and compare one to the other.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Even before I begin studying the bible, rather than just reading, I saw that there was a difference in Gen 1 and Gen 2.

I ask you to read Gen 1 and Gen 2 and compare one to the other.
Reading as opposed to studying, is meaningless, if one does not employ disciplined and sensible hermeneutical principles.
Like I said, just the fact that you are unable to find a substantial amount of proof-text, which would undeniably be necessary, in order to support such a fundamental doctrine, precludes the veracity of your conclusion.
I will not jump to such an esoteric premise, based on the subtle differences between two chapters.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God who is he?
A few years back I was watching a Professor of Theology giving a bible study on Genesis. His wife was Jewish and he also spoke about some of her knowledge.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
God created

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
God said, let us (had to be angels)

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
God created and had input from the angels

Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Gen 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

Now something new shows up ‘LORD’ which is not a title but the name of the same God of Gen 1 of which the Jew could not use because it was sacred. The Professor when he asked his wife why LORD is used. She said “there are many Gods, but only one LORD God of Israel. His name is scared so we replace it with LORD”.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

LORD God formed a man, no woman.

Gen 2:8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

This man was not told to go and replenish the earth, he was put in a garden.

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Now, LORD God tells the man keep up the garden.

God created mankind and LORD God formed ‘Adam’ and then later ‘Eve’.

If you can grasp this, the whole bible will become new to you.

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

LORD God formed every beast of the field, that would be domesticated animals.

Gen 2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

LORD God made a woman from the rib of Adam.

Do you see the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2?

You can now read through your bible and know who LORD God represents.

Just in this short study one can see that there was a creation of mankind while the other was a man who was formed and this man has a covenant with God.

When you read through the Old Testament you will see !

The JPS goes with LORD and the Stones goes with Hashem meaning In Hebrew, the word Hashem is really haShem, meaning “the Name”, and is one of the dozens of epithets for God.

The reason why English translators used “LORD” back in the day, could be to cover all possibilities of Hebrew meanings and usage without being in error. There’s no reason to not understand that once God has created everything, that He is the LORD of everything He has made.

also “God” in the creation chapters and elsewhere is Elohim meaning Creator and Judge.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
G
Like I said, just the fact that you are unable to find a substantial amount of proof-text, which would undeniably be necessary, in order to support such a fundamental doctrine, precludes the veracity of your conclusion.
I will not jump to such an esoteric premise, based on the subtle differences between two chapters.[/QUOTE]

Normally I would just let you rave. But I have some time, so here.

Gen 1 God created them, "male and female created he them"
Gen 2 LORD God formed man "no female"

Gen 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Gen 2:20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Gen 1 God made the beast of the earth
Gen 2 LORD God formed every beast of the field and Adam gave names - not so in Gen 1

That is for starters.