God The Father In The Old Testament

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Reading some recent posts prompted me to put this summary together.

Ok, it's the sort of thing that Bible Colleges require their students to study, but with good reason, namely to dispel any notion that the concept of God as a Father is only a New Testament one.

God Declares Himself The Father of Israel:

Exo 4:22-23 Then tell Pharaoh that this is what the LORD says: ‘Israel is My firstborn son, (23) and I told you to let My son go so that he may worship Me. But since you have refused to let him go, behold, I will kill your firstborn son!’”

Isa 1:2 Listen, O heavens, and give ear, O earth, for the LORD has spoken: “I have raised children and brought them up, but they have rebelled against Me.

Jer 31:9
They will come with weeping, and by their supplication I will lead them; I will make them walk beside streams of waters, on a level path where they will not stumble. For I am Israel’s Father, and Ephraim is My firstborn.”

God Deserves To Be Known As The Father Of Creation:

Deu 32:6 Is this how you repay the LORD, O foolish and senseless people? Is He not your Father and Creator? Has He not made you and established you?

Mal 2:10 Do we not all have one Father? Did not one God create us? Why then do we break faith with one another so as to profane the covenant of our fathers?

God Desires To Be Called Father:

Jer 3:19
Then I said, ‘How I long to make you My sons and give you a desirable land, the most beautiful inheritance of all the nations!’ I thought you would call Me ‘Father’ and never turn away from following Me.

God Is Petitioned In Prophecy As Father:

Isa 63:15-16 Look down from heaven and see, from Your holy and glorious habitation. Where are Your zeal and might? Your yearning and compassion for me are restrained. (16) Yet You are our Father, though Abraham does not know us and Israel does not acknowledge us. You, O LORD, are our Father; our Redeemer from Everlasting is Your name.

Isa 64:7-9
No one calls on Your name or strives to take hold of You. For You have hidden Your face from us and delivered us into the hand of our iniquity. (8) But now, O LORD, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You are the potter; we are all the work of Your hand. (9) Do not be angry, O LORD, beyond measure; do not remember our iniquity forever. Oh, look upon us, we pray; we are all Your people!

The Acclamation of God the Father in the Old Testament continues in the New Testament:

Mat 6:9 So then, this is how you should pray:
‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name.