God's Arms Are Open

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wednesday 2-8-23 4th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Shavat 16 5783 50th. Winter Day

Today's Devotional

Read: 1 John 1:5–10 | Bible in a Year: Leviticus 4–5; Matthew 24:29–51

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins. 1 John 1:9

I frowned at my cellphone and sighed. Worry wrinkled my brow. A friend and I had had a serious disagreement over an issue with our children, and I knew I needed to call her and apologize. I didn’t want to do it because our viewpoints were still in conflict, yet I knew I hadn’t been kind or humble the last time we discussed the matter.

Anticipating the phone call, I wondered, What if she doesn’t forgive me? What if she doesn’t want to continue our friendship? Just then, lyrics to a song came to mind and took me back to the moment when I confessed my sin in the situation to God. I felt relief because I knew God had forgiven me and released me from guilt.

We can’t control how people will respond to us when we try to work out relational problems. As long as we own up to our part, humbly ask for forgiveness, and make any changes needed, we can let God handle the healing. Even if we have to endure the pain of unresolved “people problems,” peace with Him is always possible. God’s arms are open, and He is waiting to show us the grace and mercy we need. “If we confess our sin, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

How does forgiveness create peace? What steps will you take in God’s power toward reconciliation with someone this week?
Dear God, remind me of Your unending grace. Help me to be more humble and to commit all my relationships to You.
For further study, read What Do You Do with a Broken Relationship?.

INSIGHT

The Greek word peripateō is used ten times in the apostle John’s three letters (1 John [5x]; 2 John [3x]; 3 John [2x]). It means “to tread all around”; “to walk”; “to conduct one’s life.” It’s often translated as “walk” or “live”: “If we claim to have fellowship with God and yet walk in the darkness” (1 John 1:6); “If we walk in the light” (v. 7). First John 2:6 succinctly describes what it means to be a believer in Jesus: “Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.”

Paul also uses this word to describe how the believer in Christ should live: “Walk by the Spirit” (Galatians 5:16); “Walk in the way of love” (Ephesians 5:2); “Live as children of light” (v. 8); “Just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him” (Colossians 2:6); “Walk in wisdom toward outsiders” (4:5 esv).

By Jennifer Benson Schuldt|February 8th, 2023

Forgiveness Of Sins 1 John One:5-10

5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

Reactions: Pearl