God's revelations to Nathanael and Peter concerning the Son of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nathanael expressed surprise in John 1:

48 Nathanael said to Him, 'How do You know me?'
Jesus answered and said to him, 'Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.'
Apparently, Nathanael had a moment of personal quiet time with God under the fig tree just between him and God.

49Nathanael answered Him, 'Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel'”
Nathanael was impressed that Jesus knew that particular moment and concluded that Jesus had to be God's Son to know that.

On the other hand, Peter declared a propositional truth in Matthew 16:

16 Simon Peter answered, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.'
17 And Jesus said to him, 'Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.'
Jesus explained the source of Peter's knowledge as a matter of fact/proposition.

The two incidents were rather different kinds of experiences from Nathanael and Peter's points of view. They both received special revelations from God but in different manners of experiences. The source of knowledge was the same, but the methods of delivery were different.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nathanael expressed surprise in John 1:

Apparently, Nathanael had a moment of personal quiet time with God under the fig tree just between him and God.

Nathanael was impressed that Jesus knew that particular moment and concluded that Jesus had to be God's Son to know that.

On the other hand, Peter declared a propositional truth in Matthew 16:

Jesus explained the source of Peter's knowledge as a matter of fact/proposition.

The two incidents were rather different kinds of experiences from Nathanael and Peter's points of view. They both received special revelations from God but in different manners of experiences. The source of knowledge was the same, but the methods of delivery were different.
Indeed, I absolutely *live* for the times when God communicates to me in some special way. He is always communicating to us via His Moral Law. However, it's much more special when His communication rises to a higher recognition of me on a personal level.

Really, God over the universe communicating with a speck of sand like me? Well yes, if He is that huge then the smallest thing cannot take place beneath His notice!

But most of the time God communicates with me via circumstances. If it was circumstances alone I would be very confused. But when I connect my circumstances with moral duty and conscience, the guidance becomes much clearer.

I must say that I love to worship in church. Some of those Praise experiences are truly out of this world! And so, I want to live as clean a life as I can so as to meet Him face to face without any shame.

I know some of this personal approach is off the beaten path, but if I enjoy it I should think others will, as well?

Reactions: TonyChanYT