God's Will vs God's Desire

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything that transpires in life is supposed to occur, otherwise it wouldn't happen, because nothing happens without God's foreknowledge and Him allowing it to come to pass!

Everyone does God's will, but most do not to do His desires! Even though it has always been that God “desires all men to be saved” (1Ti 2:4; 2Pe 3:9), His will—or way—is that only those who “choose life . . . “will live” (Deu 30:19). Thus, everyone does God's will, but most choose not to do His desires!

We know that our loving God does everything “according to His good pleasure” (Eph 1:9), and that prior to creation, He knew “many” (that is, most) of mankind would choose “the way that leads to destruction,” and that “few” (in comparison to the many) would choose “the way which leads unto life” (Mat 7:13, 14 – becoming more obvious all the time).

I would think it doubtless to conceive that He knew there would be great worth in gaining the “few,” as evidenced by the “joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repents” (Luk 15:10).

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything that transpires in life is supposed to occur, otherwise it wouldn't happen, because nothing happens without God's foreknowledge and Him allowing it to come to pass!

Everyone does God's will, but most do not to do His desires! Even though it has always been that God “desires all men to be saved” (1Ti 2:4; 2Pe 3:9), His will—or way—is that only those who “choose life . . . “will live” (Deu 30:19). Thus, everyone does God's will, but most choose not to do His desires!

We know that our loving God does everything “according to His good pleasure” (Eph 1:9), and that prior to creation, He knew “many” (that is, most) of mankind would choose “the way that leads to destruction,” and that “few” (in comparison to the many) would choose “the way which leads unto life” (Mat 7:13, 14 – becoming more obvious all the time).

I would think it doubtless to conceive that He knew there would be great worth in gaining the “few,” as evidenced by the “joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repents” (Luk 15:10).
This is a confirmation of God's sovereignty. Amen.
I often say, prophecy could not be fulfilled perfectly unless this were so. And there could be no Book of Life with everyone's name in it unless God was sovereign. Man cannot mess up His plan.

He "desires" all men to be saved because that is the heart of a loving God. His "will" is a done deal. I personally think there is only one thing His will cannot force you to do, and that is to willingly love him. We can't force people to love us either, which is why this choice must be given freely. He offers a relationship, humbly stands at the door knocking, but does'nt force His way in. He knows which way you will go, even to those whom He knows will reject Him. But to be fair, His light shines everywhere and His offer is open to all.
So it is the fault of the reprobate, who was offered salvation but rejected it. They were even drawn to God ( because scripture says God draws all men to Himself), and still they refused.

Reactions: marks and 101G

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

16Rejoice always, 17pray continually, 18give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
Do we always do this? No? Then God's will doesn't always happen.

3It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable,

Do all believers follow this? No? Then God's will isn't being done all the time.

Reactions: dev553344 and marks

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were even drawn to God ( because scripture says God draws all men to Himself), and still they refused.
correct, for he will draw all men unto him. that is, John 12:32 "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." if he is lifted up, Acts 2:21 "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved." all is (whosoever) that call upon his name, thaey ALL WIL be save.
that's his will, to draw all men, (that he is doing), and his desire, all those he draw, confess his name). I like the way the Lord put it.. "ALL" for all don't every when in context, scripture, Matthew 10:32 "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven." and now, not "ALL" men confess him, John 12:42 "Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:"

you're on point Ronald.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally think there is only one thing His will cannot force you to do, and that is to willingly love him.
Hi, and thanks for the reply and comments! I like this point you make. I think if God coerced anyone He would be "trespassing." If the light of nature doesn't cause one to seek God, nothing will. I do not think there are any true atheists:

Paul wrote that all men unavoidably (when matured) come to "know" there is a God "because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them" (Rom 1:19, 21). This inner learning for all is "because the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse" (Rom 1:20).

All that live to a mature age are made accountable for their choices, as God insures that nature itself confirms within that He is real. Of course there is and eternal difference (pun intended) between just knowing about God (Jas 2:19), and knowing God.

Hope I didn't rattle on too much.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, and thanks for the reply and comments! I like this point you make. I think if God coerced anyone He would be "trespassing." If the light of nature doesn't cause one to seek God, nothing will. I do not think there are any true atheists:

Paul wrote that all men unavoidably (when matured) come to "know" there is a God "because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them" (Rom 1:19, 21). This inner learning for all is "because the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse" (Rom 1:20).

All that live to a mature age are made accountable for their choices, as God insures that nature itself confirms within that He is real. Of course there is and eternal difference (pun intended) between just knowing about God (Jas 2:19), and knowing God.

Hope I didn't rattle on too much.
Many self proclaimed atheists may be angry or in their rebelliousness, they, being blind, deny any evidence, and just dismiss it. Romans was written long ago. What then was clearly seen and understood by the things that were made has now been distorted by the Theory of Evolution. So these atheists cling to this very intricately contrived alternative view. They call it science, even though it is guesswork. Most biologists and astronomers lean towards this view and go great lengths to defend it. Try debating with Richard Dawkins about what is clearly seen and understood. Still even since Darwin, only 10% of the population consider themselves staunch atheists. Unfortunately almost half of Christianity has been to some extant dupped by this theory and have adopted Theistic Evolution, which collides with and contradicts a literal view of Genesis. Things aren't so clear anymore.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many self proclaimed atheists may be angry or in their rebelliousness, they, being blind, deny any evidence, and just dismiss it. Romans was written long ago. What then was clearly seen and understood by the things that were made has now been distorted by the Theory of Evolution.
Right, things become ever more unclear to those who desire not God. To me, the Romans passage is saying that regardless of what unbelievers claim to not believe, nature itself is enough to confirm in their mind that He is real. Non can get around it and are "unexcused."

Reactions: marks

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is the permissive will of God

There is the active will of God

And there is the perfect will of God.

The perfect will of God is only accomplished in heaven.

The active will of God takes place on earth when God intervenes in the affairs of man.

The permissive will of God happens because the Lord in His sovereignty chose to give to mankind and angels a degree of sovereignty...He gave each and every one of us the capacity for free will.

The permissive will of God includes such things as when men murder and rape...these things happen not because the Lord desires for them to happen but because He willed to give to all of mankind the ability to choose for themselves as to whether they would obey or disobey the Lord.

Reactions: Cooper

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Are you saying a gunman who massacres a class of children is doing God's will?

God is not a dictator who makes us do bad things. That is the work of wicked men acting outside of God's will. To blame everything that happens on the will of God is to leave us with no one to turn to in times of trouble. My God is a God of love who cares even for the sparrows, and very important they are, as are all living things.

We know man is wicked, it is a main theme throughout the Bible, but please do not blame the sins of man, on the will of God. More likely it is the deceiver at work in the hearts of wicked men.

Please do not blame God for the bad things that men do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Renniks

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying a gunman who massacres a class of children is doing God's will?
Appreciate your comments, and I believe it helped me see that I need to better explain what I mean by "Everyone does God's will."

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the input I’ve received in this thread I realize that I need to better explain what I mean by “Everyone does God's will.” Everyone ends in subjection to God concerning His will for believers and unbelievers. For example, it’s His will (but not His desire) that the latter receive eternal death, and the prior eternal life.

Sorry for not being clear enough and thanks for all who are participating in this thread. It helped me see that I needed to be more explanatory of what I am attempting to share. The articles intent is to reflect on His sovereign control, like He knew man would partake of the “Tree” even when He was commanding not to, because it was obviously the way God desired to begin teaching us.

God bless us everyone, and God be blessed!

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Nonsense.
What you wrote is nonsense.

Listen, did God cause you to come here and write nonsense?
And your next post that tries to prove you have no freewill........is that God MAKING you write it?

Wake up.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense.
What you wrote is nonsense.

Listen, did God cause you to come here and write nonsense?
And your next post that tries to prove you have no freewill........is that God MAKING you write it?

Wake up.
You'll get more participation in sharing what you want to share in a kind way; and you won't appear to be making accusations. I don't mind how you choose to reply, and not apposing yourself in any way, but just trying to maintain a proper communication. Comments are meaningless without proper presentation because it defies the purpose of peace and love of Christ (not suspecting you but making a general reference).

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You'll get more participation in sharing what you want to share in a kind way;

Save your lecture for your family, and your dogs, ok?

It amazes me what shows up on this Forum.
For example, we have a guy here who worships water who proclaims himself the "pastor of this forum".
And now there is you.
You have proclaimed yourself, according to your alt's title, the Chaplin of the entire Internet.
So, does that reek of EGO?
What type of person proclaims himself to be the INTERNET Chaplin.
Ah, i know, its a person who teaches that the next thing you write, was God's will for you to write it, as if He wrote it.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Save your lecture for your family, and your dogs, ok?

It amazes me what shows up on this Forum.
For example, we have a guy here who worships water who proclaims himself the "pastor of this forum".
And now there is you.
You have proclaimed yourself, according to your alt's title, the Chaplin of the entire Internet.
So, does that reek of EGO?
What type of person proclaims himself to be the INTERNET Chaplin.
Ah, i know, its a person who teaches that the next thing you write, was God's will for you to write it, as if He wrote it.
No problem, you have the right to choose how you want to be, as all do.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nature itself is enough to confirm in their mind that He is real. Non can get around it and are "unexcused
But isnt it the "invisible things of God" that are seen: His power, love, attributes, are seen in the things that are made - not nature itself? He is outside the physical realm, He is spirit and His power holds the physical realm together.
But I do agree with your post, He is sovereign, He knew Adam and Eve would eat from the Tree. He put it there and also allowed Satan in the Garden. Knowing they would be tempted. People don't like to accept that the Fall was necessary. That without evil, we could not know good, nor could we appreciate all the attributes of God unless we knew and experienced their opposites - and such is the story of mankind.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 7:15, Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Mat 7:16, Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17, Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18, A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19, Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20, Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.