God's word in Asia

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Acts 16:6 "... they were forbidden by the Holy Spirit to preach the word in asia "

Sources outside of Bible claim that Apostle Thomas was able to reach India. And the church established by him continued to exist while connected to Syrian church and it is called Mar Thoma church. The church was less known for many centuries. The preaching of Gospel here happened at a larger scale during 16th and 17th centuries from Europe and later America.
Today Europe and America are largely Christian compared to Asia. Had God allowed even Apostle Paul to reach Asia, probably Asia would have been similar to them by this day.
I'm not much interested in sources outside of the Bible, can you share your thoughts from the Bible why God had not allowed Paul or any other person from preaching the Gospel/God's Word at a place or a nation or a continent at any particular time ?

Reactions: Nancy

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello ..
A quick thought without much detail refers me to Acts 16:6-7
Act 16:6 And they went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia.
Act 16:7 And when they came to the border of Mysia, they attempted to go into Bithynia; but the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them.

In fact, even in the OT the timing on when to cross into the Promised land was also controlled by the Spirit.
The Spirit decides where and when to preach the gospel. Verse 6 clearly indicated this point that the Spirit of God controls the timing of when to preach in Asia.

Bless you,

APAK

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Had God allowed even Apostle Paul to reach Asia, probably Asia would have been similar to them by this day.
We should not confuse the Asia to which Paul was not allowed to go with the continent of Asia as we know it. There was a Roman province of Asia at that time, which corresponded to Asia Minor, which now corresponds to Western Turkey. And he was told to avoid it.

It is entirely possible that some other apostle -- possibly Andrew -- had already been to Asia Minor, therefore there were at least seven churches there while John was writing Revelation and addressing them. Therefore it was more necessary for Paul to remain on the European side.
I'm not much interested in sources outside of the Bible, can you share your thoughts from the Bible why God had not allowed Paul or any other person from preaching the Gospel/God's Word at a place or a nation or a continent at any particular time ?
We do not see in Scripture where all the other apostles of the 12 went. But they definitely went out worldwide, and we know for a fact that Thomas did a great missionary work in India and was martyred by Hindu priests because of his great influence. Sadhu Sundar Singh was another great missionary in India later on.

According to various reports and legends, the other apostles went to the former Soviet Union, Central Asia, North Africa, Turkey, Persia, Ethiopia, Arabia, Armenia, Syria, Greece, Spain, Lebanon, etc.

Later we have Christian missionaries going throughout the world including China, Japan, Nepal, Tibet, and the rest of Asia. So God never planned to restrict His apostles, evangelists, and missionaries.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Enoch111, I appreciate your reply.

The word asia meaning orient or east. (Strong's G773 or STRONGS NT 773)
Thayer's Greek Lexicon: " The 'Asia' of the N. T. must not be confounded with the 'Asia proconsularis' of the 4th century"

Though I was not much interested in them earlier, I looked up.
Most of the sources I've seen associated with the Bible translate the word 'asia' in Acts 16:6 being western part of Asia Minor in all certainty.
When I referred to the sources not related to Bible, the word 'asia' began while being referred to the eastern part of Aegean Sea. This word was started and used by Greeks. Gradually the region that was being referred to the word 'asia' expanded and when it began to include regions east of Mediterranian Sea. By 3rd or 4th century A.D. , Greeks came up with the term Mikara Asia meaning Asia Minor or lesser asia. The Asia Major was in today's Iraq.
The word asia was extensively used by Greeks and it was used in several contexts, referring to the Roman province of Asia which is today's western Turkey or old Anatolia and also to the entire continent of present day Asia.
Herodotus, who was ancient Greek historian used the word asia to refer to the continent of Asia during the year, 440 BC. India was well known in Roman Empire because of Alexander the Great's invasion during 326B.C. after conquering Persian Empire. After 1 A.D. India and China were the leading economies who started attracting Europe for trade. The continent of Asia was well known among Greeks/Roman Empire.

According to Acts 16:6, if asia meant Roman province of asia, then Paul left that place without preaching the word of God. It was also known that Paul actually preached the Word of God in the Roman province of asia and established chruches there(sources outside Bible). So the asia here might not exactly refer to the Roman province of asia, because when he was forbidden by the Holy Spirit, Paul was in between the Roman province of Asia and rest of the Asian continent.

AsiaMinor-7.jpg
Acts 16:6 says that Paul was at Galatia having travelled through Phrygia. Towards the east of Galatia there was Cappadocia and towards the west it was Phrygia. He was not exactly beside the Roman Province of Asia. Cappadocia was a name given by Persians during 6th century B.C. and they were still being called as Syrians by Greeks during the time of Apostles. Apostle Paul, believed to have already established Church in Cappadocia after being expelled from Jerusalem, then he should be intending to travel beyond Cappadocia towards central Asia(Western Turkey being in the border of Asian continent and Galatia being in the western side of Asian Continent), so the word asia in Acts 16:6 should refer to rest of the Asian continent. When God had forbidden him to preach the gospel in asia, then he should return backwards towards Europe(Macedonia Acts 16:9). So they started back from Galatia, travelled through Phrygia, Roman Province of Asia at Mysia(Acts 16:7).

According to the verse Acts 16:6, after he was forbidden, he reached Mysia which was eastern side of Roman province of Asia and southern border of Bythinia. The fact that the New Testament was written in Greek and Book of Acts written By Luke who was a Greek Physician and not a Roman, not written in the context of someone in America or India in the year 2019A.D. , instead, it was written in the context of those who can read and write in Greek and fully aware of these geographical locations and usage of the words during the time of Apostles, I think probably Luke had not referred to Roman province of asia.

In all the journeys of Paul, Acts 16:6,7 was only once when he had to travel through Roman Province of Asia. The probability of Paul preaching and establishing churches in this region should happen only during this occurence. So the word asia in this verse should refer to rest of Asian continent beyond Cappadocia where he never preached Gospel nor established any church.

In case this is correct, then it would be of interest to those who are into the geographical aspects of The Bible.

If the word asia in Acts16:6 implies either Roman Province of Asia or rest of the Asian continent my question still stands!

The works of God are done in wisdom. If God forbids an Apostle from preaching His Word at a place or a continent at a particular time, it matters a lot.

I found God stopping him twice in Acts 16:6,7
1. From preaching the Word of God in asia (No reason)
2. From going towards Bythinia ( reason v9 Macedonia)

One might suggest Macedonia as reason for both of them!

Reactions: bbyrd009

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
In all the journeys of Paul, Acts 16:6,7 was only once when he had to travel through Roman Province of Asia. The probability of Paul preaching and establishing churches in this region should happen only during this occurence.

Apostle Paul extensively traveled Roman Province of Asia to preach the Word of God.
Acts 19
10 And this continued by the space of two years; so that all they which dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.

The same word asia used in different contexts at Acts 16:6 and 19:10

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Apostle Paul extensively traveled Roman Province of Asia to preach the Word of God.
Acts 19
10 And this continued by the space of two years; so that all they which dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.

The same word asia used in different contexts at Acts 16:6 and 19:10
Asia is a term which has a much wider scope today that previously.

The Word of God continues to go forth... :)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 16:6 "... they were forbidden by the Holy Spirit to preach the word in asia "

Sources outside of Bible claim that Apostle Thomas was able to reach India. And the church established by him continued to exist while connected to Syrian church and it is called Mar Thoma church. The church was less known for many centuries. The preaching of Gospel here happened at a larger scale during 16th and 17th centuries from Europe and later America.
Today Europe and America are largely Christian compared to Asia. Had God allowed even Apostle Paul to reach Asia, probably Asia would have been similar to them by this day.

I believe it goes back to the prophecies concerning Noah's sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. (Gen. 9:24-29) The European people are from Japheth. God has blessed Japheth in that he dwells in the tents of Shem. And God has enlarged him all over the world.

Christianity, Christendom, is centered in Europe, the place of Japheth. It will be so to the very end till the anti-christ comes.

There is a great movement of God in China, and S. Korea also, but these nations of people will never be Christianized as Europe has been. And, just like with China, the government can turn against the Christians immediately. The China government always looks with suspicion on the Christians.

Stranger

Reactions: prashanthd

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Enoch111, I appreciate your reply.

The word asia meaning orient or east. (Strong's G773 or STRONGS NT 773)
Thayer's Greek Lexicon: " The 'Asia' of the N. T. must not be confounded with the 'Asia proconsularis' of the 4th century"

Though I was not much interested in them earlier, I looked up.
Most of the sources I've seen associated with the Bible translate the word 'asia' in Acts 16:6 being western part of Asia Minor in all certainty.
When I referred to the sources not related to Bible, the word 'asia' began while being referred to the eastern part of Aegean Sea. This word was started and used by Greeks. Gradually the region that was being referred to the word 'asia' expanded and when it began to include regions east of Mediterranian Sea. By 3rd or 4th century A.D. , Greeks came up with the term Mikara Asia meaning Asia Minor or lesser asia. The Asia Major was in today's Iraq.
The word asia was extensively used by Greeks and it was used in several contexts, referring to the Roman province of Asia which is today's western Turkey or old Anatolia and also to the entire continent of present day Asia.
Herodotus, who was ancient Greek historian used the word asia to refer to the continent of Asia during the year, 440 BC. India was well known in Roman Empire because of Alexander the Great's invasion during 326B.C. after conquering Persian Empire. After 1 A.D. India and China were the leading economies who started attracting Europe for trade. The continent of Asia was well known among Greeks/Roman Empire.

According to Acts 16:6, if asia meant Roman province of asia, then Paul left that place without preaching the word of God. It was also known that Paul actually preached the Word of God in the Roman province of asia and established chruches there(sources outside Bible). So the asia here might not exactly refer to the Roman province of asia, because when he was forbidden by the Holy Spirit, Paul was in between the Roman province of Asia and rest of the Asian continent.

View attachment 6782
Acts 16:6 says that Paul was at Galatia having travelled through Phrygia. Towards the east of Galatia there was Cappadocia and towards the west it was Phrygia. He was not exactly beside the Roman Province of Asia. Cappadocia was a name given by Persians during 6th century B.C. and they were still being called as Syrians by Greeks during the time of Apostles. Apostle Paul, believed to have already established Church in Cappadocia after being expelled from Jerusalem, then he should be intending to travel beyond Cappadocia towards central Asia(Western Turkey being in the border of Asian continent and Galatia being in the western side of Asian Continent), so the word asia in Acts 16:6 should refer to rest of the Asian continent. When God had forbidden him to preach the gospel in asia, then he should return backwards towards Europe(Macedonia Acts 16:9). So they started back from Galatia, travelled through Phrygia, Roman Province of Asia at Mysia(Acts 16:7).

According to the verse Acts 16:6, after he was forbidden, he reached Mysia which was eastern side of Roman province of Asia and southern border of Bythinia. The fact that the New Testament was written in Greek and Book of Acts written By Luke who was a Greek Physician and not a Roman, not written in the context of someone in America or India in the year 2019A.D. , instead, it was written in the context of those who can read and write in Greek and fully aware of these geographical locations and usage of the words during the time of Apostles, I think probably Luke had not referred to Roman province of asia.

In all the journeys of Paul, Acts 16:6,7 was only once when he had to travel through Roman Province of Asia. The probability of Paul preaching and establishing churches in this region should happen only during this occurence. So the word asia in this verse should refer to rest of Asian continent beyond Cappadocia where he never preached Gospel nor established any church.

In case this is correct, then it would be of interest to those who are into the geographical aspects of The Bible.

If the word asia in Acts16:6 implies either Roman Province of Asia or rest of the Asian continent my question still stands!

The works of God are done in wisdom. If God forbids an Apostle from preaching His Word at a place or a continent at a particular time, it matters a lot.

I found God stopping him twice in Acts 16:6,7
1. From preaching the Word of God in asia (No reason)
2. From going towards Bythinia ( reason v9 Macedonia)

One might suggest Macedonia as reason for both of them!
it might be because Asians reason differently, play baseball games to deliberate ties and whatnot, and generally resist what westerners call Logical thinking

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
The three men who were WISE visited Jesus when He was born. They came from east, which is the same as the meaning of the word Asia. They were not from Asia Minor and they came from the rest of the Asian continent, probably far east. I wish all of the Asians are as wise as those three in diligently seeking the Word of God ;)
Merry Christmas everyone!

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The three men who were WISE visited Jesus when He was born. They came from east, which is the same as the meaning of the word Asia. They were not from Asia Minor and they came from the rest of the Asian continent, probably far east. I wish all of the Asians are as wise as those three in diligently seeking the Word of God ;)
Merry Christmas everyone!
Merry Christmas my friend! May God let you also be one of those wise men diligently seeking His Word!

Reactions: prashanthd