Goliath's Sword

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GeneralJ

Oct 20, 2008
Do you have your “Goliaths Sword?”The reference for this post is found in:1Sa 21:8 And David said unto Ahimelech, And is there not here under thine hand spear or sword? for I have neither brought my sword nor my weapons with me, because the king's business required haste. 1Sa 21:9 And the priest said, The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom thou slewest in the valley of Elah, behold, it is here wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod: if thou wilt take that, take it: for there is no other save that here. And David said, There is none like that; give it me.1Sa 22:10 And he inquired of the LORD for him, and gave him victuals, and gave him the sword of Goliath the Philistine.The purpose of this post is to help those in Christ find encouragement in the face of adversity, and a reminder for those who find shelter with you the great things God has done.David was on the run, under great anxiety and haste to escape the wrath and intentions of Saul. Many men followed after David knowing that he had been anointed King over Israel. They found shelter and protection under his leadership. Many days and nights were spent hiding in fear. Even in the light of the work of God in David’s life he still ran, still hid, even to the point of taking refuge and dwelling in enemy territory, to escape the persecutions of Saul.There was a period of about six years in my life where I felt like I was wondering in a Spiritual wilderness. I came across these verses in my course of study. And I came to the realization that I needed a “Goliaths sword.” At the time I didn’t quite understand what it was I knew I needed, but never-the-less I prayed for it. As we read the record of David and the men that followed him we can understand to a degree what their afflictions were. However, imagine your David. When the anxiety, and the fear, and the pressure starts closing in on you threatening to overcome you. You feel a weight at your side and glance down…….the sword of Goliath hangs at your side. At the sight of that HUGE sword you are reminded of the awesome feats God has done in your life and are encouraged and strengthened by those memories. You are again properly focused on the plan God has for you. The sword of Goliath in itself is nothing of worth, Goliath is dead and his sword didn’t save him. The fact that GOD through David’s obedience slew the giant and the testimony of that work is powerful.Also, imagine you are one of David’s men, following hard after David. Again as above you feel you are at the end, you have doubts that David is going to do the right thing, or even lead you to a better place. You look ahead to where David stands and spy the sword of Goliath hanging at his side. Are you encouraged? You bet!What is this “Goliaths sword” to us? It is the testimony of the power of God in our life!1Sa 19:5 For he did put his life in his hand, and slew the Philistine, and the LORD wrought a great salvation for all Israel: thou sawest it, and didst rejoice: wherefore then wilt thou sin against innocent blood, to slay David without a cause?Isa 64:5 Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou art wroth; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we shall be saved.Re 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.Remember the powerful works of God in your lives. Our witness is what we have seen of those works, our testimony is our verbal recounting of what we have witnessed. If you notice in the first scriptures I posted, David didn’t bring his OWN sword or spear. We have accomplished nothing on our own; it is by the power of God and his hand alone.Be strengthened and encouraged by what he has done in your life and let others draw the same seeing that great work God has done!