Gossip...what purpose does have?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wise words indeed, I find it hard in my work environment.
I believe there are different levels to gossip , obviously the one that is mentioned. However often what is being talked about is true……so it would pass one of the sieve tests. Yet it is still gossip.
Then there is the kind that is true and helpful , the kind that dispels the false gossip and gives you the facts, yet it is still gossip ……….it’s still talking about other people behind their backs !
It gets tricky sometimes !!
Rita

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe there are different levels to gossip , obviously the one that is mentioned. However often what is being talked about is true……so it would pass one of the sieve tests. Yet it is still gossip.
Then there is the kind that is true and helpful , the kind that dispels the false gossip and gives you the facts, yet it is still gossip ……….it’s still talking about other people behind their backs !
Rita
The term gossip originated hundreds of years ago before they had cell phones, a compound of god - sipp ie siblings, kindred etc. , and actually god-sipp is “god-father”.

It was the way people kept informed of the welfare of other members of the family they cared about; and especially those who were about to give birth. It was considered a holy activity.

I gossip with my family on a daily basis on our message service where it is not unusual for the family to share 50 messages daily along with photos and videos. Being unable to join the family on a recent weekend event, I received photos and videos of their activities throughout their stay.

I love God-sipp!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ran across this on Facebook....it says it all very well...

Gossip is one of those things that people "mean for evil that God has meant for good."

Part of the reason that God created the world dividing the light from the darkness (evil), is that "the man of sin is revealed" in us all. Which by gossip a man of sin does to himself.

The KJV translates Strong's G444 in the following manner: man (552x), not translated (4x), miscellaneous (3x).​
  1. a human being, whether male or female
    1. generically, to include all human individuals

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The term gossip originated hundreds of years ago before they had cell phones, a compound of god - sipp ie siblings, kindred etc. , and actually god-sipp is “god-father”.

It was the way people kept informed of the welfare of other members of the family they cared about; and especially those who were about to give birth. It was considered a holy activity.

I gossip with my family on a daily basis on our message service where it is not unusual for the family to share 50 messages daily along with photos and videos. Being unable to join the family on a recent weekend event, I received photos and videos of their activities throughout their stay.

I love God-sipp!
Interesting history--thanks!

I suppose the Original Post should have perhaps used the term "perverse" which many translations have replaced with "gossip."

The KJV translates Strong's H8419 in the following manner: froward (4x), frowardness (3x), froward things (2x), perverse things (1x).​
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]​
  1. perversity, perverse thing
Strong’s Definitions​
תַּהְפֻּכָה tahpukâh, tah-poo-kaw'; from H2015; a perversity or fraud:—(very) froward(-ness, thing), perverse thing.​

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I love God-sipp!
The meaning of words/language changes over time. We can see this with the word 'gay'. As you know it was once used for one with a happy disposition. It is hardly used for this today; in fact it is used for something entirely different....which I'm sure you understand. Therefore, in the light of this, let us not interpret the word 'gossip' to mean what it did at an earlier time....an interpretation which few if anybody understands today. Let us not live in a reality of distortion.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita
Most of the gossip I have ever had the unpleasant encounter of hearing was negative or malicious about someone....I would find it very difficult to run across the person being spoken about without turning red-faced and cringing from sheer guilt for even hearing it and not stopping it.
Nowadays I put my hand up and say stop....I don't want to hear it.
I can conclude things on my own...thank you.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The meaning of words/language changes over time. We can see this with the word 'gay'. As you know it was once used for one with a happy disposition. It is hardly used for this today; in fact it is used for something entirely different....which I'm sure you understand. Therefore, in the light of this, let us not interpret the word 'gossip' to mean what it did at an earlier time....an interpretation which few if anybody understands today. Let us not live in a reality of distortion.
I agree. The original God-sipp, family interaction has been be the word iPhone!

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I am one of the victim of a gossip
I was telling my story since no one knows after telling my story a few mins someone asked me about my story but the story has changed completely it became more realistic so they all believed those lies more than the truth that came directly from me and I almost went berserk because of it
it was a very annoying experience
they were the ones who lied and changed the story because they do not trust you but most people believe the lies then made you the liar

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In Australia, we had an incident where two police officers and an innocent neighbour were ambushed and shot dead, because of "gossip," which are also called conspiracy theories. The conspiracy theories are just fiction which is dressed up to appear true to the gullible.

The two brothers had been brought up in a Christian home, but the devastated father now acknowledges that they became lost and had turned away from God and committed crimes against society, based on their misconstrued understanding of reality.

Lies, at the best of time are not good.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To diminish or destroy the credibility of another. It's the bedfellow of character assassination
Yet to expose a false teacher or leader for what they are IS A GOOD THING .
Gossip is dung . But looking out for the lambs IS GOOD . correct all error and do so quickly .
And if one errs against you , WELL TAKE IT TO THEM IN PRIVATE FIRST , dont gossip .
DO as JESUS taught , do as the aposetls taught us , DO as GOD said to do , as JESUS said to do . AND DO IT WITH ALL YOUR HEART .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yet to expose a false teacher or leader for what they are IS A GOOD THING .
Gossip is dung . But looking out for the lambs IS GOOD . correct all error and do so quickly .
And if one errs against you , WELL TAKE IT TO THEM IN PRIVATE FIRST , dont gossip .
DO as JESUS taught , do as the aposetls taught us , DO as GOD said to do , as JESUS said to do . AND DO IT WITH ALL YOUR HEART .
You can be assured that most here who rail, feel they are exposing a false teacher or leader.
The tune is, look how wrong they are and how right I am.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many years ago, 2012. I came close to losing my job and sanity. I stood up against wicked people. And they resented me for it. I was planting seeds at this place. They some how caught on I was Christian. I aslo rebuked a false brethren. That didn't go well with the wicked. The wicked started sowing the, and slander against me. Eventually, I left the workplace on my own. Its unbelievable how evil and depraved some people can be. Thier hatred towards God and Christian people. Their hatred is insanity. Psalm 109:6. Set thou a wicked man over him : and let satan stand at his right hand. 109:7. When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer become sin.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gossip is bad yes. It only promotes people to not change. Re-enforcing to them their failures, as Gossip is usually about failures. What I've found is that even if the gossip is true, we should want people to be at their best and doing well. That is the love of God. So I try and choose not to perpetuate someones faults.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Gossip will keep you out of the Kingdom of God. Gossip comes from an impure heart, and love does not gossip.

Matthew 12
[35] A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
[36] But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
[37] For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Gossip will keep you out of the Kingdom of God. Gossip comes from an impure heart, and love does not gossip.

Matthew 12
[35] A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
[36] But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
[37] For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
Yep . and not only that
but murderers , fornicators , homosexuals . OH yes that TOO , liars and etc will not inherit the KINGDOM of GOD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime