Gossiping

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If gossip is against Christian teaching and Jehovah’s law then why do most of us continue to engage in it?

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If gossip is against Christian teaching and Jehovah’s law then why do most of us continue to engage in it?
Good question....apparently those who aren't engaged in good works find time to meddle in other people's business.

As Paul said...."And they will incur judgment because they have abandoned their first expression of faith. 13 At the same time they also learn to be unoccupied, going around from one house to another; yes, not only unoccupied but also gossipers and meddlers in other people’s affairs, talking about things they should not". (1 Timothy 5:12-13)

We should have more important things to do.....like sharing the Christian message and giving people a hope for the future....especially now when life has become so difficult to cope with.

Reactions: JohnPaul

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question....apparently those who aren't engaged in good works find time to meddle in other people's business.

As Paul said...."And they will incur judgment because they have abandoned their first expression of faith. 13 At the same time they also learn to be unoccupied, going around from one house to another; yes, not only unoccupied but also gossipers and meddlers in other people’s affairs, talking about things they should not". (1 Timothy 5:12-13)

We should have more important things to do.....like sharing the Christian message and giving people a hope for the future....especially now when life has become so difficult to cope with.
Thank you for answering Aunty Jane, good answer.

I find gossip dangerous and deceiving talking about others behind their back spreading untrue rumors, instead like you said the person in engaged in such activity should be using their time to help their fellow man, it would put their time they use for gossiping to better use.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Lev 19:16 may be what the Lord requires of us. Read around this verse.

Do not slander among your people. Gossiping is another form of slandering where the intent is to harm another.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lev 19:16 may be what the Lord requires of us. Read around this verse.

Do not slander among your people. Gossiping is another form of slandering where the intent is to harm another.
Thank you Jay Ross.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did you arrive at this conclusion by taking a survey? You would need to ask a fairly large sample of Christians if they engage in this kind of talk: "casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true".

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did you arrive at this conclusion by taking a survey? You would need to ask a fairly large sample of Christians if they engage in this kind of talk: "casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true".

How do you discuss the weather in acceptable conversation with Others. Do we not make silly "gossiping" observations like these when speaking with others when we meet them: -

The weather does not know what it is doing.
The weather is doing silly things at the moment.​

Are we not speaking maliciously about God when we do so?

Shalom

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have witnessed it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If the gossip is true, it's not slander, right?
what is interesting is, if I speak poorly about a person behind their back it affects my relationship with that person whether what is said is true or not......even when they do not know that I've spoken poorly about them.....but I know, and it doesn't vanish into the ether.

Reactions: amadeus and Lambano

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what is interesting is, if I speak poorly about a person behind their back it affects my relationship with that person whether what is said is true or not......even when they do not know that I've spoken poorly about them.....but I know, and it doesn't vanish into the ether.
I lost a friend once because I told other people the truth about him. It was an ugly truth, but it was the truth. He never spoke to me again.

I know now that I was right [I did not lie] even though I was wrong [I should have kept my mouth shut].

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
...a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;" Ecc 3:1,7

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How do you discuss the weather in acceptable conversation with Others. Do we not make silly "gossiping" observations like these when speaking with others when we meet them: -

The weather does not know what it is doing.
The weather is doing silly things at the moment.​

Are we not speaking maliciously about God when we do so?
This is an interesting observation Jay Ross.....but you cannot mean that God controls the weather....?
If he does then every disastrous weather event is his doing.....can that be true?
confused0007.gif

I can think of one disastrous weather event that God brought on the world.....but it was to deal with the problem of demonic activity that was causing an acceleration of wickedness at an alarming rate, so he needed to deal with that situation with the appropriate action. He basically reset all that was happening, and started again fresh.

Rather, I believe that God created the elements of the weather...the seasons, the rain, and the sunshine to all co-ordinate to provide what living things need to exist on this planet. No one can deny that climate change is causing some of these weird weather events, but more importantly, there is someone loose in the world at present who can whip up whatever disaster he wants to to cause us distress. (1 John 5:19)

Everything we do is dependent on the weather, and in the beginning God created a world without any need for hurricane or tsunami warnings.
The weather was to facilitate the growth of food and vegetation for all God's creatures to feed on perpetually. But the devil took over the human race and God has stepped back to allow him and all who follow him..."enough rope".

God is not in control of anything in this world at present except the outworking of his purpose, which will mean a deliverance from the devil's world of trouble and a restoration of the world we were meant to have in the first place. Jesus came to give us back what the devil stole from us.
That will include the predictability and positive aspects of the weather. :)

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
If a person makes their whole life talking about what other people do, then they don't have a life of their own.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I lost a friend once because I told other people the truth about him. It was an ugly truth, but it was the truth. He never spoke to me again.

I know now that I was right [I did not lie] even though I was wrong [I should have kept my mouth shut].

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
...a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;" Ecc 3:1,7
Why didn't you confront the person who was doing the ugly truth?

I do not trust a person opinions who trusts everything they say or do.