Guess What?!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
October 31st is the 500 year anniversary of the start of the Protestant Reformation.
Does anyone care?

shutterstock_95792515.jpg

Reactions: bbyrd009

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reform was needed so it was a good idea, but the reform never materialized. It turned out sort of like healthcare reform in America.......the Catholic church needed reform not dismissal and replacement over and over and over again. The Protestant answer to Catholicism is renounce, replace, return to the catholicsm under a different name, replace.

It is a 500 year excercise in ‘trying the same thing and expecting different results’

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reform was needed so it was a good idea, but the reform never materialized. It turned out sort of like healthcare reform in America.......the Catholic church needed reform not dismissal and replacement over and over and over again. The Protestant answer to Catholicism is renounce, replace, return to the catholicsm under a different name, replace.

It is a 500 year excercise in ‘trying the same thing and expecting different results’

Rollo is speaking of Martin Luther nailing his 95 Thesis to the door of the local Church. In actuality it was an attempt to reform the Catholic Church. It just wasn't received well. Martin Luther was appalled by many practices he saw, most particularly the practice of indulgence. I think he expected the pope to be just as upset as he was.

But I like your wording about the protestants renouncince, replacing and returning. Martin Luther didn't do that himself, though he clung to many Catholic doctrines. As with many great reformers, the set certain ideas in motion and their followers after they died took it to levels not intended. I am not saying they (the reformers) had the answers or even all truth. Just that from what they taught others built on haphazardly.

As a side note... Perhaps 10/31 is considered the day the reformation was born, but that is just as cloudy as calling July 3rd, 1776 the birthdate of the U.S. its a significant day, but not as clearcut as one would think.

As for the significance of the reformation in world culture and politics... It was both profound and needed. The Holy Roman Empire neded to be broken.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I care. Of course the Reformation was good. Rome was beyond fixing. The reformers were not trying to break away from the Church, they wanted to reform the Church. But Rome would not have it and thus the separation. Just because Protestantism is failing today, doesn't mean the Reformation was not necessary. Every movement of God over time needs reforming because Satan has time to plant seeds of destruction within it.

Those times are just like those who live in the church age of Laodicea. "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." (Rev. 3:20) Jesus is on the outside of the church knocking on the door for any individual to come out of the apostate church to Him.

Stranger

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I care. Of course the Reformation was good. Rome was beyond fixing. The reformers were not trying to break away from the Church, they wanted to reform the Church. But Rome would not have it and thus the separation. Just because Protestantism is failing today, doesn't mean the Reformation was not necessary. Every movement of God over time needs reforming because Satan has time to plant seeds of destruction within it.

Those times are just like those who live in the church age of Laodicea. "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." (Rev. 3:20) Jesus is on the outside of the church knocking on the door for any individual to come out of the apostate church to Him.

Stranger
AMEN

Reactions: Rollo Tamasi

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Stranger
Which one is the apostate church...???

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think there are other apostate churches.
Want a list?
There's no such thing as apostate churches outside of the Vatican.

All protestant churches are based on an individual's personal relationship with Jesus.
Rome is built on a personal relationship with Mary.

Look that up in your Funk & Wagnall...

Reactions: Job and Helen

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

All protestant churches are based on an individual's personal relationship with Jesus.

claimed all round individual relationship with Jesus or all round individual inspiration and guidance by the Holy Spirit is suspect and is and should be unacceptable - twinc

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Whats worse?
That, or teaching people that God picks who will end up in hell?
(Through no fault of their own)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Do you even know what a Funk & Wagnall is?
I should change my place of residency from Italy to New York.
It seems to be getting some here confused as to who I am.
I'm a New Yorker, or as we like to say:
Nu Yawka.