• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 2:10

One needs to realize that Jesus fulfilled the Law for all people, so that God would have the ability to freely reach all people. Jesus being sacrificed on the cross, was the propitiation of all sin for all times for all mankind.

If you revert back to trying to establish the law, you end up hurting yourself and can be trying to make yourself to fulfill the law, and as the scripture above says, anyone who tries to fulfill the law and stumbles in one way, that person is guilty of all the law, not just one point of it.

The understanding:

Not one person is better than the next for all have sinned and fell short of the glory of God, and Jesus is the savior who with faith in him, allows through the eternal life connection with our Father in heaven. Being adopted as Sons or Daughters of God, by the given gift from God the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Christ.

In love, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, of Christ,

Matthew Gallagher

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One needs to realize that Jesus fulfilled the Law for all people, so that God would have the ability to freely reach all people. Jesus being sacrificed on the cross, was the propitiation of all sin for all times for all mankind.

If you revert back to trying to establish the law, you end up hurting yourself and can be trying to make yourself to fulfill the law, and as the scripture above says, anyone who tries to fulfill the law and stumbles in one way, that person is guilty of all the law, not just one point of it.

The understanding:

Not one person is better than the next for all have sinned and fell short of the glory of God, and Jesus is the savior who with faith in him, allows through the eternal life connection with our Father in heaven. Being adopted as Sons or Daughters of God, by the given gift from God the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Christ.

Matthew Gallagher

Great post Matt. Good to remember that God never changes, and that some of the laws given through Moses are included in the Law of the Christ that Christians are under. I am very thankful that we are no longer under the Sabbath law, as I wonder who could be saved. Everyone I know has violated it. You almost have to respect some that goes out of their way drastically to obey it, but seem to think that they can choose the day they want as the Sabbath, rather than accept God's decision. Sometimes I just want to tell them this isn't Burger King, you simply cannot have it your own way. ;) Great day to you sir.

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The understanding:

Matthew Gallagher

This is a common misconception by many Christians today.

James was talking about the Royal Law of Love in loving your neighbor (Which is a New Covenant Law) (James 2:8); For loving one another is the New Covenant way (Romans 13:8-10). So if you break the Royal Law of Love, you are guilty of breaking all of God’s laws under the New Covenant. For the context was that the brethren were showing respect to the rich brethren and not to the poor brethren (i.e. they were not loving all their brothers in fairness). It was a serious lack of love on their part (Read the beginning part of James 2). So this is the “offend in one point” that James is referring to. James was not making a generalized statement in offending in one point. In context, he was referring to the breaking of the Law of love. For even Jesus spoke of how two certain sins can lead to punishment in earthly courts (i.e. non-death sins), and then he spoke of a third related sin that can lead to hell fire (i.e. a death sin) (See: Matthew 5:22 below).

Matthew 5:22 (AMP).
“But I say to you that everyone who continues to be angry with his brother or harbors malice against him shall be guilty before the court; and whoever speaks [contemptuously and insultingly] to his brother, ‘Raca (You empty-headed idiot)!’ shall be guilty before the supreme court (Sanhedrin); and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of the fiery hell.”​

Anyways, most believe the way you do because they don’t understand Paul.
Paul was speaking against how we are not under the 613 Laws of Moses given to Israel (i.e. the Old Law).
Paul says, “But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.” (Romans 7:6).

Did you catch that?
Paul says we are to serve in newness of spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
What is the oldness of the letter?
That would be the Torah or the 613 Laws of Moses given to Israel, and not the church.

Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. Paul says he is not without Law, but he is under the law(s) of Christ.

“To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.” (1 Corinthians 9:21).

Romans 8:2 says that the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus makes us free from the Law of sin and death.
The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus is a New Covenant Law (or a part of the Law of Christ).
The Law of Sin and Death is the Old Law or the 613 laws given to Moses and Israel.
Keeping the New Covenant Law makes us free from the Old Law according to Romans 8:2.
Romans 8:1 (KJB) defines this New Covenant Law. There is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh (sin) but who walk after the Spirit. The New Testament Scriptures were inspired by the Holy Spirit, and to obey them is to walk after the Spirit. It’s the new way of doing things vs. the Torah or the Old Law.

Acts of the Apostles 13:39 says we cannot be justified by the Law of Moses. So this not in reference to the Laws of Christ.

Acts 15 really nails it.
At the Jerusalem council, they addressed the problem about a certain sect of Jews were trying to deceive Gentile Christians that they had to first be circumcised in order to be initially saved and to keep the Law of Moses. The council said they gave them no such command to be circumcised or to keep the Old Law.
See: Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, and Acts of the Apostles 15:24.

This is why Paul says if you seek to be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing (Galatians 5:2), which is then followed by him saying whosoever of you are justified by the law has fallen from grace (Galatians 5:4). This would be the Old Law and not the laws of Christ because circumcision was a part of the Old ways (that started with Abraham, and then with the Law of Moses).

Granted, believers must first be saved by God’s grace without works (i.e. the 1st aspect of salvation) before they can live holy unto the Lord in the Sanctification Process and obey many of the Lord Jesus’ commands. Grace is how we are first saved, and it is foundational, but grace is not a license for immorality or a free get of hell card. Sin can still destroy a believer’s soul unless they confess and forsake their sins. Believers need to endure to the end to be saved. Believers need to fight the good of faith and lay hold on eternal life (1 Timothy 6:12).

Last edited: