Have I paid my tithing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

biotheist

Dec 28, 2016
Many years ago an old friend sucked me into the Mormon church and I became a member shortly after. They run a neat operation "The Mormons" (Church of Jesus Christ the latter day saints)

It didn't take me long to realize that there beliefs were questionable at the very least. No matter how they might appear, they are as money hungry as any well run business.

But then there was one particular thing that helped me make my mind up to leave.

I was in some financial stress one week, and I called the current Bishop of the stake (Church) I was in. Talking to him, he was very defensive before I even got around to asking for help. So I told him that I was in trouble and just needed some food for a few days, to which he replied

"Have you paid your tithing."

I was shocked, "No" I said.

He immediately contested, and asked me for a history of my spending.

I was shocked again, "Is this how Jesus would treat me?" I replied.

He didn't even care.

So I hung up,and repented of that church.

Mormons may look moral on the outside, but really they are love bombers who want your money.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
A lot of people try to play-off the compassion of a church, so its not unreasonable for them to inquire about your recent spending history.. You really can't expect a church to blindly throw money at every sob story, because there are lots of people who exploit good will.. Its important for them to isolate the problem before committing any church funds. As far as that Bishop knew, you could have just bought a new car and speed boat, or needed food money because you blew all your cash on drugs. So its not always a case of them not having morals, but a matter of them being careful not to subsidize someones irresponsible spending habits. After-all, if they decided to give money to a drunk or drug addict, they're not being moral, but enabling a sinful life style. Perhaps if you had answered their questions, they may have been happy to help out? jmo

Reactions: bbyrd009

biotheist

Dec 28, 2016
I think your Messiah would disagree.

Mat 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

biotheist

Dec 28, 2016
Besides this, you know nothing of my predicament.

Being on disability support payments, with 70% of your money going on rent and a further 10% on utilities per fortnight.

Plus food, travel and other expenses.

You do the math.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before this thread gets shut down due to the language, I will add that the attitude you seem to have even about this topic is part of your problem. You have a lot of anger in your heart. You have deeper seeded issues perhaps you need to deal with.

That being said, I am not a mod in this particular thread but have reported it to be closed and hidden.

God Bless!

BA

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I decided to search the net as a matter of interest for the purpose/function of a church and came across this article by "Gotquestion.org.
What is the purpose of the church
https://www.gotquestions.org/purpose-church.html

What struck out to me in the article was this ~

"The church is to be about the business of ministering to those in need. This includes not only sharing the gospel, but also providing for physical needs (food, clothing, shelter) as necessary and appropriate."

I totally agree. Although there may be legitimate reasons for checking that someone is not squandering their money which may have contributed to their demise, our purpose as a church is to provide, particularly to our own members....

I do not agree with tithing to a church but I do agree with giving alms and even giving on a regular basis for the purpose of a ministerial arm out in the community or for purposes of equipping the saints for the work of the ministry. I do not think that today's church is the same as the Nation Israel who gave tithes to fill their storehouses which was used appropriately and when they were in times of hardship...

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
biotheist said:
I think your Messiah would disagree.

Mat 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
If you believe the verse includes those who would exploit your giving kindness, but are not truly in need, then I'd like to ask you to send me all your money :)

biotheist said:
Besides this, you know nothing of my predicament.

Being on disability support payments, with 70% of your money going on rent and a further 10% on utilities per fortnight.

Plus food, travel and other expenses.

You do the math.
The Bishop probably knew nothing of your predicament either, which is why he inquired about your spending. My point was simply that if you hadn't hung-up on him, perhaps he may have helped you out? It just seemed to me that you condemned a church for not blindly throwing money at you?