"He who does not teach his son a trade teaches him to steal"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"He who does not teach his son a trade teaches him to steal," or otherwise said, "He who does not teach his son a skill teaches him to become a thief."

This is an old Jewish proverb.

One of my kids (11) wants to be a robotics engineer, so he's sitting across from me taking apart his old toys and making flashlights out of the LEDs and tiny batteries. I'm sitting here thinking about getting him set up with an Arduino kit.

It reminded me of it and I was wondering what you all thought about the proverb or if you know of any other similar ones.

Another one I like, is an old Finnish proverb (supposedly): "Sweep in front of your own door first."

Reactions: quietthinker

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do kids these day want to learn anything worthwhile? Most of them seem hooked on games on their pods or pads. They don't seem to want to grow up and take on adult responsibility.

But I like your proverb. I think when Jewish boys were bar mitzvah at thirteen or so they 'put aside childish things' and began to learn their fathers' trade.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do kids these day want to learn anything worthwhile? Most of them seem hooked on games on their pods or pads. They don't seem to want to grow up and take on adult responsibility.

But I like your proverb. I think when Jewish boys were bar mitzvah at thirteen or so they 'put aside childish things' and began to learn their fathers' trade.

My kids do because they have neither. ;) They are allowed to use the laptop for homework but that is it. No television, no phones, no tablets, etc.

They have comic books, crayons, chalk, chalkboards, shapes puzzles, the lyre (for the older one to practice), lots of art related stuff. The boy can go take things apart and tinker. He just got a little certificate in programming fundamentals or something like that, which he did for fun.

I learned if I eliminate the unnecessary distractions and provide opportunities, then they start learning on their own. No stress.

The only downside is there was a glitter project gone awry and I've been cleaning it for days and it still looks like a Christmas ornament in here.

Reactions: amadeus

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He needs to know ladder logic and PLC programming.

We used to use icecube relays for all of that but now just a module with enough I/O ports to handle the sensor relays is it.

Your talking about a $200 gizmo at best. They used to be really expensive. But $200 will get you the gizmo and a software seat these days...programmed by a mouse for your setup.

It's getting the numbskulls to actually wire it up consistently is usually the biggest problems.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My kids do because they have neither. ;) They are allowed to use the laptop for homework but that is it. No television, no phones, no tablets, etc.

They have comic books, crayons, chalk, chalkboards, shapes puzzles, the lyre (for the older one to practice), lots of art related stuff. The boy can go take things apart and tinker. He just got a little certificate in programming fundamentals or something like that, which he did for fun.

I learned if I eliminate the unnecessary distractions and provide opportunities, then they start learning on their own. No stress.

The only downside is there was a glitter project gone awry and I've been cleaning it for days and it still looks like a Christmas ornament in here.

That's brilliant of you. So wise. When my oldest grandkids used to come to stay over when they were little we had a house rule; no screens. We had scrapbooks and blocks and board games and an hour of tele after tea. The mid-aged grandkids have always been addicted to their little screens and only stayed over once because they didn't like our rules. We now have a four year old who could probably take a washing machine to pieces. :)

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He needs to know ladder logic and PLC programming.

We used to use icecube relays for all of that but now just a module with enough I/O ports to handle the sensor relays is it.

Your talking about a $200 gizmo at best. They used to be really expensive. But $200 will get you the gizmo and a software seat these days...programmed by a mouse for your setup.

It's getting the numbskulls to actually wire it up consistently is usually the biggest problems.

Interesting... See this is stuff that I have no idea about but I know people who do know about it. But from what I gather from Google it sounds like a programming language and the ability to control things ... in the most layman's terms possible and probably still wrong. I will look into it, though $200 might be a pretty penny for me right now.

What do you do, JohnDB? Sounds like you know what you're talking about. :D

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ya know...
Some people say things like "Glitter Terrorist" and "Glitter Bombs"...but that's just ONE perspective.

Others say things like "Glitter Freedom Fighter" or "Glitter Abolitionist"...

Free the Glitter!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's brilliant of you. So wise. When my oldest grandkids used to come to stay over when they were little we had a house rule; no screens. We had scrapbooks and blocks and board games and an hour of tele after tea. The mid-aged grandkids have always been addicted to their little screens and only stayed over once because they didn't like our rules. We now have a four year old who could probably take a washing machine to pieces. :)

Aw thank you! I love the idea of board games! I also love that rule. I wish more families would do the same.

We had cards and a few games, but my youngest got into a lot of the pieces and I haven't replaced them yet. I still have Mancala, though.

Sometimes we'll listen to some old radio shows like Dragnet or Suspense at night. Not often though. We read most of the old, old fairy tales here before bed and the kids love it. Not the Disney versions, but the originals. Wouldn't change it for the world. So much more fun.

Ya know...
Some people say things like "Glitter Terrorist" and "Glitter Bombs"...but that's just ONE perspective.

Others say things like "Glitter Freedom Fighter" or "Glitter Abolitionist"...

Free the Glitter!

:D:D:D hahhaha

Reactions: Nancy

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting... See this is stuff that I have no idea about but I know people who do know about it. But from what I gather from Google it sounds like a programming language and the ability to control things ... in the most layman's terms possible and probably still wrong. I will look into it, though $200 might be a pretty penny for me right now.

What do you do, JohnDB? Sounds like you know what you're talking about. :D

I am a commercial/industrial electrician.

Ever walk into a room and the lights come on automatically? Or use a touch lamp?
Now that is a single step automated process. A very simple robot that controls things. (Your car these days is very full of these things) I'm the guy who they call when they want a boardroom to automatically shut the blinds, dim the lights, turn on the sound system and either turn on the projector or monitor screen the moment someone puts on a power point display or plays a youtube video.

I'm slso the guy they call in to wire up complicated systems for things like automated processes and limit switches and sensors.

It's not computer programming. This is PLC programming using ladder logic. It's very different. You don't get "if-then-else" statements in PLC programming. (Although I really wanted them when I was first learning)

And because industrial plants are inherently dangerous places prone to accidents you write your programming and sensors to stop everything if anything goes wrong. (Don't want two messes to clean up instead of one)

But for your 11 Y.O. child a good breadboard electronics experiment kit would be a great idea. ($50)

There's a wealth of things he can learn like how to make a 555 circuit and change its frequency. (Intermittent Flashing light)
Radios from AM to FM and even CB.
The book is boring but the experiments aren't.
This will teach him the importance of capacitance and resistance and inductance.

The hydraulics and pneumatics...I haven't really seen much in the way of experiment kits for those...but if he can understand how a solenoid valve works...it's not a reach.

Motors, magnetism, induction, capacitance, impedance, and all the Electrical stuff....he's going to want to know that... also he will need to be able to read the color bands on resistors at a glance. (I know...you don't even know how to hold it to read it)

But the truth is that he is looking at a really good field for his future. Even if he doesn't make robots. Instrumentation Techs are started @ $52K/Yr + expenses + overtime. (And this is just a Tech I...tech 2 &3 make even more)
They don't even pull wire if they don't want to.
It's sick how much those guys make.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a commercial/industrial electrician.

Ever walk into a room and the lights come on automatically? Or use a touch lamp?
Now that is a single step automated process. A very simple robot that controls things. (Your car these days is very full of these things) I'm the guy who they call when they want a boardroom to automatically shut the blinds, dim the lights, turn on the sound system and either turn on the projector or monitor screen the moment someone puts on a power point display or plays a youtube video.

I'm slso the guy they call in to wire up complicated systems for things like automated processes and limit switches and sensors.

It's not computer programming. This is PLC programming using ladder logic. It's very different. You don't get "if-then-else" statements in PLC programming. (Although I really wanted them when I was first learning)

And because industrial plants are inherently dangerous places prone to accidents you write your programming and sensors to stop everything if anything goes wrong. (Don't want two messes to clean up instead of one)

But for your 11 Y.O. child a good breadboard electronics experiment kit would be a great idea. ($50)

There's a wealth of things he can learn like how to make a 555 circuit and change its frequency. (Intermittent Flashing light)
Radios from AM to FM and even CB.
The book is boring but the experiments aren't.
This will teach him the importance of capacitance and resistance and inductance.

The hydraulics and pneumatics...I haven't really seen much in the way of experiment kits for those...but if he can understand how a solenoid valve works...it's not a reach.

Motors, magnetism, induction, capacitance, impedance, and all the Electrical stuff....he's going to want to know that... also he will need to be able to read the color bands on resistors at a glance. (I know...you don't even know how to hold it to read it)

But the truth is that he is looking at a really good field for his future. Even if he doesn't make robots. Instrumentation Techs are started @ $52K/Yr + expenses + overtime. (And this is just a Tech I...tech 2 &3 make even more)
They don't even pull wire if they don't want to.
It's sick how much those guys make.

Very cool! I am looking at some of the kits now and I think he would like them. His birthday is coming up. I did get him a couple Snap Circuits sets to start with but I think they were overly simplistic to him or didn't seem "mature" enough. I've watched him spend hours just reading boring manuals laying around, so maybe he would like reading the books! He has experimented a little bit with Tinkercad and he really liked that ... I have no idea if that's the same but I try. lol

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

Reactions: JohnDB

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"He who does not teach his son a trade teaches him to steal," or otherwise said, "He who does not teach his son a skill teaches him to become a thief."

This is an old Jewish proverb.

Titus 1:13-14
This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

A better saying would be this:

He who does not teach his children the holy scriptures teaches him nothing.

whitemorning

Nov 18, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One man asked a wise man, at what age should a child be raised. The boy was two months old. You are already late, said the sage. It is because of this that you have to use it in the future professional essay writing service And it helps to become successful in studies. However, it's up to everyone to choose their own path

Last edited: