Hearing God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
8-27-19

All of us have a great need to hear that "still small voice" of God so that we can receive His guidance and know more about the plan He has for our lives. We need communication with Him all through the day-allowing Him to speak to us by placing His thoughts in our minds.

I for number one, need to hear Him teach us as we read the scriptures. We need to seek to hear Him much as a child seeks the guidance of a parent. If we are to hear God, we must humble ourselves as a little child. We try so hard to be sophisticated adults not realizing that God desires for us to be "as little children".

I do not think, He does not look upon His people as sophisticated adults-if we are Christians, we are "children of God". Of course, older children can become rebellious, but little children are naturally trusting, teachable and submissive to their parents. Is that the way you are with your heavenly Father? Or, are you a sophisticated adult?

I also think that, God wants His people to be responsible for what they say and do, but He wants them to be as little children in their hearts. Jesus said, "Anyone who humbles him/or herself as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven" Matthew 18:4

The desire to be sophisticated adults makes it difficult to humble ourselves as a little child. But the way to hear God in my experience, is through an ongoing Father-child relationship. We need that "Abba Father" relationship that the bible calls the spirit of adoption or the spirit of son/daughter-ship. Romans 8:15

We need to "work out our salvation" with fear (reverential awe) and trembling as we draw closer and closer to our heavenly Father. With trusting, teachable and submissive attitude, we can establish that communication that's comes out of a genuine fear of the Lord as we receive His love; and with praise and thanksgiving, return His love.

Love Always, Walter

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have discovered that I 'hear' God in various ways. It can be through written words, either in scripture or in inspired Christian books; or I might be given an insight into a truth through something in nature or in a dream. Or best of all by that still small voice speaking directly into my spirit.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have discovered that I 'hear' God in various ways. It can be through written words, either in scripture or in inspired Christian books; or I might be given an insight into a truth through something in nature or in a dream. Or best of all by that still small voice speaking directly into my spirit.
Amen, yes! we can tell if it is of His spirit, and He knows about everything.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To say that above all its the scriptures is to forget that this is what the Pharisees believed too, and yet despite dedicating their entire lives to scripture and the study of it, Jesus told them they didn't understand it and didn't know God.

Also, most men in here say scripture above all else and yet they argue about what it means.

So when you say scripture above all else, what are you saying...? Has scripture above all else helped men, really? It just seems to make them argumentative and proud to me...

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To say that above all its the scriptures is to forget that this is what the Pharisees believed too, and yet despite dedicating their entire lives to scripture and the study of it, Jesus told them they didn't understand it and didn't know God.

Also, most men in here say scripture above all else and yet they argue about what it means.

So when you say scripture above all else, what are you saying...? Has scripture above all else helped men, really? It just seems to make them argumentative and proud to me...
Our Lord Jesus Christ knows when His words are being rightly divided unto Him, soo! please don't be weary for your well doings, because all what you do for His name sake counts.

Reactions: Nancy

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

2 Timothy 3:15-17 (KJV) And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Psalm 119.89; Psalm 119.105; John 17.17; Hebrews 4.12; 1 Peter 1.22-25

This is not 'pharisaical'; this is Scriptural.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

They weren't looking for Jesus. They were looking for a righteousness from themselves. And they missed Him.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Psalm 119.105

b228abc2de6a3111ee983d9d6ebd1184.jpg
pinterest dot com

3c9644624c67a79707691a4dc2b1250d.jpg
pinterest dot com

294d4d1a50311527ab8a5ce80df7351e.jpg
pinterest dot com

54ea33515be31c0c4adee431be85ddaa--psalms---tattoo-psalm-.jpg
pinterest dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
2 Timothy 3:15-17 (KJV) And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Great passage there; shows the primacy of Scripture in the believer's life.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
However we hear God speak to us, whether through the written scriptures or any other way, we can be absolutely sure that he will not contradict himself and that anything we hear will be in accordance with what is written. I have heard of men saying that God told them to divorce their wives and marry somebody else. That voice was not God's.

Reactions: Nancy