Help bearing good fruit and confessing Christ before men

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.

(Luke 8:14-15) NKJV

"Also I say to you, whoever confesses Me before men, him the Son of Man also will confess before the angels of God. But he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God."

(Luke 12:8-9) NKJV

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit."

(John 15:1-2) NKJV

Hello everyone, just wanted some advice on a personal issue I'm dealing with. These verses, included the famous parable of the 'Sower and the Seed,' have been troubling me for some time. I just feel like I'm not bearing good fruit before the Lord regarding my profession of Christ and His commandments.

I am struggling with boldness and courage in regards to talking about Christ with others who are not as firmly committed, or committed at all, in attaining a righteous way before God. This has become especially tricky when dealing with this matter in environments such as my workplace, where my livelihood is at stake. Now, certainly my job pales in comparison to the almighty works of the Son of God, but I'm also not sure the Lord would find it prudent or wise of me to risk my job if it can be avoided. However, I'm very much enraptured by the Word, and so I find myself bitterly biting my tongue on many occasions, not fully declaring all I can to others.

Basically, I feel unfruitful. I may be bearing good fruit in other avenues of life, but not this one. This also brings into mind another contemplation, concerning what bearing good fruit fully encapsulates...does converting others or is spreading the Word with the boldness I lack essential? This is especially troubling for me, given how shy I can be and how much of a people-person I am in that I am careful to provide good company and not offend or trouble anyone. So while I am not acting as a stumblingblock for my neighbor, should I be more willing to offend? Although I may not be denying Christ before men, I certainly can do more to affirm His holy way.

Examples: If my manager is gay, and says he does not think his homosexuality is a sin, do I flat out tell him I think it is? If an Israeli friend says he does not approve of Christian missionaries and would never try to "tell someone how to live their lives," do I tell him I think he is wrong and explain to him what great work they are carrying out? These are just two recent conversations I've had among many of such type, varying in degrees of difficulty and severity.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Reactions: Nancy

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Examples: If my manager is gay, and says he does not think his homosexuality is a sin, do I flat out tell him I think it is?

Don’t let even one rotten word seep out of your mouths. Instead, offer only fresh words that build others up when they need it most. That way your good words will communicate grace to those who hear them.
Ephesians 4:29.

Remember, our job is to plant seeds. The HS harvests.

Reactions: amadeus and Psalm51

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t let even one rotten word seep out of your mouths. Instead, offer only fresh words that build others up when they need it most. That way your good words will communicate grace to those who hear them.
Ephesians 4:29.

Remember, our job is to plant seeds. The HS harvests.

I'm not gonna lie, I needed that verse lol Because I truly feel in my heart that is what I do: try my best to refrain from rotten words and offer subtle hints of compassion and a desire to build others up and spread the Word.

But I just become conflicted when I read Scripture about openly rebuking those who persist in sin (1 Timothy 5:20), exhorting others with the Word (Titus 2:15), and how fruitful it is to turn a sinner back from his ways (James 5:19-20). I can't help but feel inadequate in this manner. I am not perfect, my interpretation of scripture is not perfect, but I see sin all around me and I feel compelled to speak from the heart, often times walking a very fine line.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just feel like I'm not bearing good fruit before the Lord regarding my profession of Christ and His commandments.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control." Gal. 5:22. 23
He grows our fruit in us. Everyone of these areas grows, it's a process. We cooperate with God in that we try to be more loving, kind, gentle. We try to be patient and practice self control, temper. Life's experiences mature us in these areas.

I am struggling with boldness and courage in regards to talking about Christ with others who are not as firmly committed
Are you bold about everything else, outgoing, socialable ... aggressive? Or are you shy, and don't like confrontations or rocking the boat?
Just be you, don't try to be anyone else. God has a plan for you. Don't try to force yourself. People sometimes go on missions because they think they should and it turns out dead, nothing happens and waste their time, so they become disillusioned. Imagine your enthusiastic evangelical friend feels he has a calling to go to North Sudan to spread the gospel and asks you to come. Look right at him and say, "Are you out of your freaking mind"? You have to ask him why and how he received this calling?
Faith is certainty, confidence. This grows in time, but going to a good teaching church equips you with how to respond with certain types of people, various religions, atheism. You have to learn about all religions and evolution. You learn about the major obstacles/reservations that people have concerning God and Jesus. As you are equipped in the Word and once you learn about how to answer all the common objections, you will more easily step forward and speak up, be bolder. Keep in mind that evangelism is a gift and not every Christian has it. I know many churches encourage/force you to go out and do it - "It is your duty, your sacrifice, be disciples, knock on doors ..." No. if that is not your calling. You will learn what your spiritual gift is, but it may not be evangelism.
(see Eph. 4:11)
Now, certainly my job pales in comparison
Fruit is not a job. Fruit is the attributes of God that He grows in you. He is the vine.
As far as works, He has prepared works for you. You will do them, don't be anxious about it. You'll know, He will present you with them and you just need to say yes Lord. It is good to be available, have the attitude that you are willing to serve. I have struggled with that.

Basically, I feel unfruitfu
Examine Gal. 5:22, 23.

If my manager is gay, and says he does not think his homosexuality is a sin, do I flat out tell him I think it is?
You may jeopardize your job. You can get fired for proselytizing your beliefs. There are certain laws of discrimination, defamation of character, etc., that protect homosexuals now. He will get offended and homosexuals become angry and vengeful, hateful.
If you speak to anyone, do it off the job, on your own time, on neutral ground, not on their property, in their jurisdiction. And since it is sensitive, it has to be done gently. Ask questions. Do you believe in Jesus? What does that mean to you? What is sin to you? Do you accept the whole Bible or just parts? Then direct him to Romans 1:26, 27. What does this mean to you? That's enough. You give them little things to contemplate, you don't hit him over the head with too much.

If an Israeli friend says he does not approve of Christian missionaries and would never try to "tell someone how to live their lives," do I tell him I think he is wrong and explain to him what great work they are carrying out?
No. Telling someone how to live their lives is like giving them a law to live by. Jews are used to following and living by the Old Testament Laws. Religion is mans way of reaching God. Christianity is God's way of reaching man.
Tell him no Jew has ever kept the Law.
Ask him how he atones for sins since there is no blood sacrifice in temples?
Ask him if keeping the laws are a burden and if He would like God to remove that burden?
Ask him about the Messiah.

Last edited:

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control." Gal. 5:22. 23
He grows our fruit in us. Everyone of these areas grows, it's a process. We cooperate with God in that we try to be more loving, kind, gentle. We try to be patient and self control ... Our temper. But life's experiences mature us in these areas.

Are you bold about everything else, outgoing, socialable ... aggressive? Or are you shy, and don't like confrontations or rocking the boat?
Just be you, don't try to be anyone else. God has a plan for you. Don't try to force yourself. People sometimes go on missions because they think they should and it turns out dead, nothing happens, a waste of time, so they become disillusioned. Imagine your enthusiastic evangelical friend feels he has a calling to go to North Sudan to spread the gospel and asks you to come. Look eight at him and say, "Are you out of your freaking mind". You have to ask him why and how he received this calling?
Faith is certainty, confidence. This grows in time, but going to a good teaching church equips you with how to respond with certain types of people, various religions, atheism. You have to learn about all religions and evolution. You learn about the major obstacles/reservations that people have concerning God and Jesus. As you are equipped in the Word and once learn about how to answer all the common objections, you will more easily step forward and speak up, be bolder. Keep in mind that evangelism is a gift and not every Christian has it. I know many churches encourage/force you to go out and do it - "It is your duty, your sacrifice, be disciples, knock on doors ..." No. if that is not your calling. You will learn what your spiritual gift is, but it may not be evangelism.
(see Eph. 4:11)

Fruit is not a job. Fruit is the attributes of God that He grows in you. He is the vine.
As far as works, He has prepared works for you. You will do them, don't be anxious about it. You'll know, He will present you with them and you just need to say yes Lord. It is good to be available, have the attitude that you are willing to serve. I have struggled with that.

Examine Gal. 5:22, 23.

You may jeopardize your job. You can get fired for proselytizing your beliefs. There are certain laws of discrimination, defamation of character, etc., that protect homosexuals now. He will get offended and homosexuals become angry and vengeful, hateful.
If you speak to anyone, do it off the job, on your own time, on neutral ground, not on their property, in their jurisdiction. And since it is sensitive, it has to be done gently. Ask questions. Do you believe in Jesus? What dies that meant you? What is sin to you? Do you accept the whole Bible or just parts? Then direct him to Romans 1:26, 27. What dies this mean to you? That's enough. You give them little things to contemplate, you don't hit him over the head with too much.

No. Telling someone how to live their lives is like giving them a law to live by. Jews are used to following and living by the Old Testament Laws. Religion is mans way if reaching God. Christianity is God's way if reaching man.
Tell him no Jew has ever kept the Law.
Ask him how he atones for sins since there is no blood sacrifice in temples?
Ask him if keeping the laws are a burden and if He would like God to remove that burden?
Ask him about the Messiah.

Thank you for your response, you've given me much to think about. I laughed because the verse from Galatians should've immediately popped in my head, it is literally the second verse I have written, on the first page, in a book. The Lord lays the answer down right in front of me, but I get so caughty up in my head I forget all the solutions written plainly in Scripture.

I especially resonate with the verse you also brought to mind from Ephesians. I know each limb of the body has its own function, I am naturally shy/non-confrontational, right now my function seems to not be evangelism.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thank you for your response, you've given me much to think about. I laughed because the verse from Galatians should've immediately popped in my head, it is literally the second verse I have written, on the first page, in a book. The Lord lays the answer down right in front of me, but I get so caughty up in my head I forget all the solutions written plainly in Scripture.

I especially resonate with the verse you also brought to mind from Ephesians. I know each limb of the body has its own function, I am naturally shy/non-confrontational, right now my function seems to not be evangelism.
I was indeed thinking about the Fruit of the Spirit passage in Galatians earlier today.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not gonna lie, I needed that verse lol Because I truly feel in my heart that is what I do: try my best to refrain from rotten words and offer subtle hints of compassion and a desire to build others up and spread the Word.

But I just become conflicted when I read Scripture about openly rebuking those who persist in sin (1 Timothy 5:20), exhorting others with the Word (Titus 2:15), and how fruitful it is to turn a sinner back from his ways (James 5:19-20). I can't help but feel inadequate in this manner. I am not perfect, my interpretation of scripture is not perfect, but I see sin all around me and I feel compelled to speak from the heart, often times walking a very fine line.

Ephesians 4:29 in the VOICE translation is the most convicting verse for me of the whole Bible. It's humbling to keep in mind that our job is planting seeds; it is the Holy Spirit's job to harvest. No one can make a sinner turn back from her ways.

Just keep in mind that you are not in this alone and it does not depend on your strength, eloquence or force of personality but divine intervention. We all need to keep this in mind.

Make a blessed day.

Reactions: Psalm51

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm not an evangelist either, not gifted in that area. I think maybe exhortation and I've always been drawn to prophecy.
>Things that interest you , things you are drawn to are usually what you spend time with and so God is equipping in those areas.
I was also shy when I was young but then I got a job that forced me to socialize, honed my verbal communication skills and then have no problem speaking to strangers. The Holy Spirit will guide your conversations, help you to segway onto a topic; but the individual has to be open. When they ask questions about your faith and Jesus, that is a wide open door.
I've heard the best witness to people is often yiur own personal testimony, how you came to Jesus, the events and people that God orchestrated to draw you. Discuss the inward calling and outward calling and then just give them that until another time - baby steps. You don't stand there and bombard them with a dozen scriptures and your entire disertation of theology.

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not an evangelist either, not gifted in that area. I think maybe exhortation and I've always been drawn to prophecy.
>Things that interest you , things you are drawn to are usually what you spend time with and so God is equipping in those areas.
I was also shy when I was young but then I got a job that forced me to socialize, honed my verbal communication skills and then have no problem speaking to strangers. The Holy Spirit will guide your conversations, help you to segway onto a topic; but the individual has to be open. When they ask questions about your faith and Jesus, that is a wide open door.
I've heard the best witness to people is often yiur own personal testimony, how you came to Jesus, the events and people that God orchestrated to draw you. Discuss the inward calling and outward calling and then just give them that until another time - baby steps. You don't stand there and bombard them with a dozen scriptures and your entire disertation of theology.

Yeah I certainly don't do that, bombarding people with my beliefs. I guess I just get ancy because I have not yet been presented with anyone who has inquired into my personal testimony, everyone I'm surrounded with just discusses typical earthly concerns - celebrities, world affairs, making money, interpersonal relationships and drama, etc etc - I'm surrounded by people who do not acknowledge or are concerned with their Creator. Like the Scripture says, though, I must remain patient. Like you said, I must remain true to myself. I just drop little hints and do my best to lift others up.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah I certainly don't do that, bombarding people with my beliefs. I guess I just get ancy because I have not yet been presented with anyone who has inquired into my personal testimony, everyone I'm surrounded with just discusses typical earthly concerns - celebrities, world affairs, making money, interpersonal relationships and drama, etc etc - I'm surrounded by people who do not acknowledge or are concerned with their Creator. Like the Scripture says, though, I must remain patient. Like you said, I must remain true to myself. I just drop little hints and do my best to lift others up.
I sometimes make the mistake and assume that Christians start their day with prayers. Give thanks for everything, ask God for guidance, to fill you with His Spirit, protect you and your family from evil, etc. You pray for others including your boss and co-workers that God would save them and draw them to Himself, to use you whem the opportunity arises. Prayer is the most powerful thing you can do. God has to prepare their hearts and these people may be on His list but are a work in progress.
Out of a thousand conversations, through years of working, I've sensed God taking over a few times, here and there, and maybe months or years go by before it happens again, before you sense He is using you to witness to a person. Again I am not an evangelist so it doesn't happen often. With those who are gifted in that area, He is probably using them daily. Be patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Psalm51