Hi! I am new and would like to start a convo :)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

natmoe

Jan 12, 2018
Sheboygan Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everybody! I am a Christian and a high school student in Wisconsin. In my Apologetics class, we were asked to practice what we have learned and I am interested in engaging in a thoughtful and friendly discussion with anybody about Christianity! I love talking about morality and sin, however I am open to any question you guys have. So please ask! Thanks :)

Reactions: Richard_oti

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi everybody! I am a Christian and a high school student in Wisconsin. In my Apologetics class, we were asked to practice what we have learned and I am interested in engaging in a thoughtful and friendly discussion with anybody about Christianity! I love talking about morality and sin, however I am open to any question you guys have. So please ask! Thanks :)

Nice to meet you...Welcome to this Site.

But if you like talking about morality and sin...we won't cross paths very much.... I like talking about the things of the Lord and His victories, not the things of the world and sin...they to me are negative territory...
but I am sure there are some who will enjoy discussing your interests with you. :)
Be blessed.....Helen

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

natmoe

Jan 12, 2018
Sheboygan Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice to meet you...Welcome to this Site.

But if you like talking about morality and sin...we won't cross paths very much.... I like talking about the things of the Lord and His victories, not the things of the world and sin...they to me are negative territory...
but I am sure there are some who will enjoy discussing your interests with you. :)
Be blessed.....Helen

Hi Helen!

Thank you for responding right away to my post :) I agree, the Lord and His victories are things that are very enjoyable discussing about and should be often. But why not talk about things of the world and sin as well? Doesn't it connect to God's victories?

Natalie

Reactions: Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi and welcome.

Who defines sin? Morality?

The reason I ask this is because some Christians believe that abortion is not murder; others believe opposite. Some Christians believe same sex marriage (homosexual relationship) is supported by scripture; most say it isn't.

Respectfully, Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi and welcome.

The reason I ask this is because some Christians believe that abortion is not murder; others believe opposite. Some Christians believe same sex marriage (homosexual relationship) is supported by scripture; most say it isn't.

Respectfully, Mary

Haha! Then indeed hopefully Natalie @natmoe will place her threads in the DEBATE section because that one is a 'hot potato' LOL
We have been around that one many many times...and you never like anyones answers :D

Be blessed Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Helen!

Thank you for responding right away to my post :) I agree, the Lord and His victories are things that are very enjoyable discussing about and should be often. But why not talk about things of the world and sin as well? Doesn't it connect to God's victories?

Natalie

Okay I hear you...but just make sure you post it on the debate forum...because not all discussions are sedate ones...and not everyone stays calm. :)

Bless you...H

Reactions: James Roberts

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Morality as imposed by a society is an oxymoron, as morals are a personal belief of right and wrong. The sociological standards of right and wrong are ethics.

Morality is better defined by adherrance to one's own morals. A moral person does what they think is right. An ethical person does what society thinks is right. So what do we call someone who does what God sees as right?

natmoe

Jan 12, 2018
Sheboygan Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi and welcome.

Respectfully, Mary

Hi Mary!

Thank you for your response, it is much appreciated. That is a great question! Before I respond to your reasoning behind asking the question, would you mind if I ask you something? I think that God is the ultimate source of morality and truth. He makes a set of laws for the world to follow, would you agree? If you agree, would sin, then, be the opposite of God's law?

Natalie

natmoe

Jan 12, 2018
Sheboygan Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha! Then indeed hopefully Natalie @natmoe will place her threads in the DEBATE section because that one is a 'hot potato' LOL
We have been around that one many many times...and you never like anyones answers :D

Be blessed Helen

Hello again Helen,

I hope I am not being rude in answering any questions that lead to discussions. This forum is discussion based and that is exactly what Mary is trying to do, form a discussion. You are right, sometimes discussions can lead to heated debates, however that is not what I intend to do. Rather, I intend to answer her question to form a respectful, beneficial conversation.

Thanks,
Natalie

natmoe

Jan 12, 2018
Sheboygan Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Morality as imposed by a society is an oxymoron, as morals are a personal belief of right and wrong. The sociological standards of right and wrong are ethics.

Morality is better defined by adherrance to one's own morals. A moral person does what they think is right. An ethical person does what society thinks is right. So what do we call someone who does what God sees as right?

Thank you for your question Iforest, I value your perspective.

Would you agree that God has all-perfect, good morals?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Be blessed Helen
Hi BG,

You are right. I don't like anyone's answer.

If they would answer it right, then I would like it!! (I say this in jest)

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mary!

Thank you for your response, it is much appreciated. That is a great question! Before I respond to your reasoning behind asking the question, would you mind if I ask you something? I think that God is the ultimate source of morality and truth. He makes a set of laws for the world to follow, would you agree? If you agree, would sin, then, be the opposite of God's law?

Natalie
Hi Nat,

I agree. God makes a set of laws for the world to follow and sin is the opposite of God's law.

I will word my question in a different way to conform to your preferred verbiage.

Some Christians believe that abortion does not violate Gods law; others believe it does. Some Christians believe same sex marriage (homosexual relationship) does not violate God's law; most Christian churches say it does.

Who decides when one has violated Gods law? Who defines Gods law?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Be blessed Helen
To be honest with you Helen I don't recall anyone answering my question.

Some have said it is the Church. They define the Church as any and all Christians. If any and all Christians define Gods law then which one of the billions of Christians define Gods law?

Some say it is The Church. So the question is WHICH Church; Mormon, Methodist, Baptist, Catholic etc. etc.

Some say scripture (or God) defines Gods law. But that is a circular argument. Scripture interprets scripture!! That takes man out of the equation.

Some even have a different interpretation of who or what a true Christian is.

Unless YOU have seen an answer I have missed or YOU have the answer?

Curious Mary

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi nat, I'm curious.
You say you are Christian and in high school.
What kind of high school has an apologetics class?
Also, are you a born again Christian?
It seems that a young Christian would want to talk about Jesus, yet you have not even mentioned his name.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Respectfully, Mary

I know that you and I have discussed this before..and you led me quite a dance. :)
But you are right maybe I just gave up and stopped responding!

I believe God has defined sin...but man has redefined sin.
I do believe that abortion is murder.
But I believe you then started asking about wether babies went straight to heaven etc etc...that is where the "dancing" came in. :)
I have always believed that babies and young children go straight to God when they die.
I can't remember now how it all went. :)

Much blessing Mary.

Reactions: truthquest

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that you and I have discussed this before..and you led me quite a dance. :)
But you are right maybe I just gave up and stopped responding!

I believe God has defined sin...but man has redefined sin.
I do believe that abortion is murder.
But I believe you then started asking about wether babies went straight to heaven etc etc...that is where the "dancing" came in. :)
I have always believed that babies and young children go straight to God when they die.
I can't remember now how it all went. :)

Much blessing Mary.
Hi BG,

I agree. God defined sin thru scripture. Man interprets that scripture. It seems to me you are suggesting we (humankind) are unable to properly define or interpret what God said. I disagree with you. The Apostles taught men the Truth, who taught other men, who taught other men etc. etc. until the year 2018. You are suggesting that teaching of the Truth stopped. When did it stop? It seems you are suggesting God abandoned us in a life boat out in the middle of the ocean. Why would he do that?

I seem to believe the abortion is murder and babies going to heaven were two different conversations....I could be wrong....I was once before in my life ;)

I agree with you...babies and young children go to heaven when they die.

Thank you for your blessings.

Love, Mary

natmoe

Jan 12, 2018
Sheboygan Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi BG,

I agree. God defined sin thru scripture. Man interprets that scripture. It seems to me you are suggesting we (humankind) are unable to properly define or interpret what God said. I disagree with you. The Apostles taught men the Truth, who taught other men, who taught other men etc. etc. until the year 2018. You are suggesting that teaching of the Truth stopped. When did it stop? It seems you are suggesting God abandoned us in a life boat out in the middle of the ocean. Why would he do that?

I seem to believe the abortion is murder and babies going to heaven were two different conversations....I could be wrong....I was once before in my life ;)

I agree with you...babies and young children go to heaven when they die.

Thank you for your blessings.

Love, Mary

Mary,

I agree with you that man is able to interpret scripture. I do not think that the correct way to define scripture has been lost, either. Your question about who exactly defines God's law correctly is a tough one. Because yes, there are many who define God's law (the scriptures) very differently, such as homosexually or abortion being right/wrong. Would you say that a lot or most of confusion from the scriptures is because of misinterpretation of it?

Thank you for your insightful responses,
Natalie