Holiness vs Righteousness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These two things we are called to be/do have been hard to distinguish between them.
I want to share an article from a Hebrew POV on this difference. It has cleared much up IMHO!

My take home from the article:

"In other words, his actions should have been motivated by his love for his wife and not because “she was gonna ask.” That is the difference between holiness and righteousness. Holiness isn’t doing the right thing because it is righteous. Holiness is being so affected by love that you don’t even consider doing the wrong things. G-D commanded His people to be holy as He is holy in Leviticus 19:1-2 (TLV)

Here's the whole article:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These two things we are called to be/do have been hard to distinguish between them.
I want to share an article from a Hebrew POV on this difference. It has cleared much up IMHO!

"In other words, his actions should have been motivated by his love for his wife and not because “she was gonna ask.” That is the difference between holiness and righteousness. Holiness isn’t doing the right thing because it is righteous. Holiness is being so affected by love that you don’t even consider doing the wrong things. G-D commanded His people to be holy as He is holy in Leviticus 19:1-2 (TLV)

Gee, wish I could like my own thread! :jest: No takers huh?
Kk then, nite!!!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gee, wish I could like my own thread! :jest: No takers huh?
Kk then, nite!!!
Like, I do the good thing for my wife out of love for her. The good things I do for the right reasons are what I see as righteous acts. Holiness is that I'm completely inclined towards those things that serve others, and worship God. That my heart is set towards the same servanthood shown by Jesus Christ.

I'll be thinking about, and looking forward to what others will add.

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Holiness is in fact total separation from all that is unclean and sinful. Thus God is absolutely holy, since God is Light and in Him is no darkness at all. So Christians are commanded to SEPARATE themselves from sin, evil, wickedness, and worldliness, and to consecrate themselves to God.

Righteousness is related to holiness but it means doing what is right and righteous. Righteous acts are actions, whereas holiness is a position taken against sin and evil.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Messianic Rabbi: The Difference Between Holiness and Righteousness - Charisma Magazine
This is exactly what The Holy Ghost has been showing me regarding Holiness and saintliness which is manifested in Agape Love in the believer. Of the list of Qualities a believer is to add to their faith Agape Love is the last on the path, (2 Peter 1:5-9), each quality builds on the other, Each quality moves us from righteous by the cleansing of the Blood to being made holy by the work of the Spirit in us. Motives are the key, and the agape motive leads to sacrificial love.... Love as real as it can be. A heart that picks up their own cross daily.

Thus a saint is marked by the Agape motive.... the testimony he/she gives without agape love is nothing (1 Corinthians 13) Agape love motivates the true saint.

This is truly amazing when you start to comprehend this.... It is a fulfillment of Jesus New commandment in the believer.

Like I will have to comment here more on this as I am having all sorts of epiphanies right now..... Amazing!
thanks again Nancy. Sometimes when you hear a Spiritual truth like this all of a sudden the Living word of God starts speaking to you in ways you never imagined..... Your post is doing that here. I am experiencing what Paul described when he had his epiphany of Israel and the gentiles....

O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen. (Romans 11:33-36)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is "holiness"? I'm not sure I find the dictionary definition helpful:

Holiness: noun: the state of being holy. "a life of holiness and total devotion to God"
Holy: adjective: dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred.

I can see where love, where the happiness of the one loved is integral to that of the one loving, I can see where love is a characteristic of dedication and devotion to God. But that also overlaps with Righteousness, where one renders to each what He is due. Perhaps the difference is in the mindset of love vs. the mindset of duty?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is "holiness"? I'm not sure I find the dictionary definition helpful:

Holiness: noun: the state of being holy. "a life of holiness and total devotion to God"
Holy: adjective: dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred.

I can see where love, where the happiness of the one loved is integral to that of the one loving, I can see where love is a characteristic of dedication and devotion to God. But that also overlaps with Righteousness, where one renders to each what He is due. Perhaps the difference is in the mindset of love vs. the mindset of duty?
Agreed Lamb, mindset, attitude, motives all come into play...? I've never been able to separate the two but, now it seems much clearer. Reminds me of the son who said to his father he would help but doesn't and the one say's no but later on , does what his father asked. Although, the son who came back after say no initially, had to have time to think about it, maybe he felt convicted to do the right thing... :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like, I do the good thing for my wife out of love for her. The good things I do for the right reasons are what I see as righteous acts. Holiness is that I'm completely inclined towards those things that serve others, and worship God. That my heart is set towards the same servanthood shown by Jesus Christ.

I'll be thinking about, and looking forward to what others will add.

Much love!
Awesome Mark, I see this now as righteousness "leading" to holiness.
Agape baby!!! :D

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello, I hold true that righteousness and holiness are words only used in the time of this life, for in eternity they are one and the same…. Both being words that describe that Being that is free from all disorder….

For God’s righteousness has no disorder in it…

God’s holiness has no disorder in it….

God’s love has no disorder in it….

As is true with all of God’s attributes, they are all free from all disorder, thereby making God that Being that is free from all disorder…. For in eternity there is no division in God, all is an expression of Him, that Him-ness that is free from all disorder…..

My thoughts, may you be blessed in yours..

A fellow believer, Not me

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh…uh…WOW! Reading the article right now.
Kedoshim???
I think we need @Episkopos.
The word for holy in “you must be holy” is…plural…?

I guess plural can mean a duality OR more? like three? Body, soul, spirit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Same thing happening with me, @David H.
Its all flying in so fast I can’t….process it.
When the Holy Ghost reveals something to you, you can't process the truth of it fully but you see the beauty of it. There have been times where He has shown me a truth, I have tried to present that truth to people but cannot fully defend the truth to them.... not until he teaches the intricacies of those truths to me. What i am seeing now is what is and has been missing from the modern church when compared to the apostolic church.... Most would say the signs and wonders, But it is the Love manifested through Holiness, without which the gifts of the Spirit are but a clanging symbol. All of a sudden the Gospel is Starting to take on a "Sod" level of understanding. (Hebrew Levels of interpretation of scripture, Look up PaRDeS, Will leave link at bottom if you are not familiar with this). I Am just simply in awe right now at what he is showing me, but it will take time to articulate it in ways the Human mind can understand. It is a glimpse of the deep Spiritual aspects of the Gospel.... The deep things of God.

Not endorsing following sight, but it gives an adequate definition of PaRDeS

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the Holy Ghost reveals something to you, you can't process the truth of it fully but you see the beauty of it. There have been times where He has shown me a truth, I have tried to present that truth to people but cannot fully defend the truth to them.... not until he teaches the intricacies of those truths to me. What i am seeing now is what is and has been missing from the modern church when compared to the apostolic church.... Most would say the signs and wonders, But it is the Love manifested through Holiness, without which the gifts of the Spirit are but a clanging symbol. All of a sudden the Gospel is Starting to take on a "Sod" level of understanding. (Hebrew Levels of interpretation of scripture, Look up PaRDeS, Will leave link at bottom if you are not familiar with this). I Am just simply in awe right now at what he is showing me, but it will take time to articulate it in ways the Human mind can understand. It is a glimpse of the deep Spiritual aspects of the Gospel.... The deep things of God.

Not endorsing following sight, but it gives an adequate definition of PaRDeS
One old saint, forget who, talked about this sort of like…knowing but not knowing or…knowing everything all at once but also knowing nothing.

Reactions: David H.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh…uh…WOW! Reading the article right now.
Kedoshim???
I think we need @Episkopos.
The word for holy in “you must be holy” is…plural…?

I guess plural can mean a duality OR more? like three? Body, soul, spirit?
Yeah Epi, where are ya!!
"Kedoshim" I see is rooted in Kadash, and means the act of "setting apart, separating or consecrating something, someone or self."

"Kedoshim" I find means "set-apart ones", "separated ones" or "consecrated ones"-maybe the plurality is in the "one's"?? We are Whole-ey set apart :D for His use for good hopefully.

Yeah, we need Epi.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is just as well that Episkopos is absent. He has a tendency to sow spiritual confusion, and he does not even believe in the Gospel truth of imputed righteousness.
Perhaps so, but he is good with Hebrew, their idioms and pluralities. Me, not so much...