House Churches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are they legitimate churches?
Did the early Church meet in homes of Believers?
Did cities such as Corinth have many churches?
Do house churches have Elders and Deacons, or no leadership at all?
Should house churches eventually meet in a separate building due to increased membership; becoming a house church no longer?

From 1Corinthians 1: 2. "To the church of God which is at Corinth..."
: 10. Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you."
1 Corinthians 3: 3. "...For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? 4. For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal? " :

Reactions: pastor marty

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What is a Church?
Is it a fancy building or a utilitarian hall or is it a group of people?
You will find the answer to your question when you answer the above.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should house churches eventually meet in a separate building due to increased membership; becoming a house church no longer?

: 10. Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you."
1 Corinthians 3: 3. "...For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? 4. For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal? " :

House churches are legitimate. Many times that is the way the early church would have met. But they do have their dangers. If it is set up at the beginning to continue for a long time then it probably will. But if it is just some Christians deciding we just want to meet at each others house instead of meeting at a known church, then it probably won't last very long. If it is believers saying we won't have any doctrine, we will just worship Jesus, it probably won't last. If it is believers who say we will have no authority figures in our church because we are all priests and we will just focus on Jesus, it probably won't last.

A house church should function like any other local church. It should have leaders, a pastor/teacher, and teachers in places of authority. They should have a doctrine and be in agreement. They should have a statement of faith. They should have plans for when the church grows. It doesn't take many to be too many. They only have two options. Meet somewhere larger or divide up into another house church. Either is fine, but they must know which they plan to do. If they divide up, leaders must be found in both groups.

To neglect any of these things is to invite the wolves in sheeps clothing. Some charismatic figure will come in and be appealing to all. Or some novice believer will be elevated to places that destroy him because of pride. And he in turn can cause much damage.

Stranger

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is this a family picture?

-ed565e92ec7e2cdb.jpg

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
House churches are the best of all churches.
It allows personal friendships to form and grow.
It allow for discipleship that you may not receive elsewhere.
It brings back the early church, the breaking of bread together, group prayer where everyone has a chance to pray, Bible study, and support for those with special needs.
It is church the way church was meant to be.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
House churches are the best of all churches.
It allows personal friendships to form and grow.
It allow for discipleship that you may not receive elsewhere.
It brings back the early church, the breaking of bread together, group prayer where everyone has a chance to pray, Bible study, and support for those with special needs.
It is church the way church was meant to be.
Sounds good.
And I agree.
But there's no glue.
You need glue.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nowadays, all churches will keep changing.
The world moves fast, people leave for college and never come home.
They take on new jobs in new cities.
They find a more exciting church down the street.
Then in 6 months, they find an excuse to leave that one and move.
And quite often justified as corruption and politics seem to be taking over the churches.

I say find a couple of people who just want to worship Jesus and learn his word better and go with it.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
First church in Europe, actually a house church: After Lydia’s conversion and baptism, she insisted that Paul and his friends come to stay at her home, if they judged her to “a believer in the Lord” (verse 15). Luke says that “she prevailed upon us,” which indicates the fervency of her desire to be hospitable. The missionaries did indeed judge Lydia to be a true believer, and they stayed at her home while in Philippi.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
First church in Europe, actually a house church: After Lydia’s conversion and baptism, she insisted that Paul and his friends come to stay at her home, if they judged her to “a believer in the Lord” (verse 15). Luke says that “she prevailed upon us,” which indicates the fervency of her desire to be hospitable. The missionaries did indeed judge Lydia to be a true believer, and they stayed at her home while in Philippi.
Lidia doesn't live in Philippi.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are they legitimate churches? YES
Did the early Church meet in homes of Believers? NO
Did cities such as Corinth have many churches? YES
Do house churches have Elders and Deacons, YES
Should house churches eventually meet in a separate building due to increased membership; becoming a house church no longer? NO

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A church is any place a group of likeminded individuals, who share the same beliefs meet up. It can be done at a stadium or someone's home. God doesn't care either way. A house church is a bit too touchy feely for me, and crosses the line of my privacy. My house is off limits.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Are they legitimate churches? YES
Did the early Church meet in homes of Believers? NO
Did cities such as Corinth have many churches? YES
Do house churches have Elders and Deacons, YES
Should house churches eventually meet in a separate building due to increased membership; becoming a house church no longer? NO
The early church met in homes...
Peter's was one of them.
It might depend on what one means by "early church".
The church right after Jesus' resurrection and maybe, the first 50 years or so. By Revelation, in the year 90AD or so, there definitely were churches in bldgs.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where Two Or More Gather In My Name, there I Will Be Also. Church is a word used to describe, a gathering of believers in a building. I do not believe It was called that in the Early Time! Find the root word for Church__ LOL

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the earliest days of the church Christians met in the Temple in Jerusalem and in each others homes. (Acts 2:26)

The Apostles would preach in the Jewish synagogues, often evangelistically, but sometimes even at the invitation of the other Jews. (See Acts 13 for example)

They would meet in halls, such as the Hall of Tyrannus in Ephesus. (Acts 19:9)

The New Testament doesn't mention purpose built church buildings, and in the New Testament era the most common meeting place for Christians was in each others' homes.

The earliest known church building is the Dura-Europos church, which was converted from a regular house in around 233-256AD.