How can we know that god exists?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cybella

Mar 25, 2008
I would like very much to believe that God exists, but I cannot seem to prove it to myself. Is there any proof for his existence, besides the Bible or "just faith"? I was brought up to be a Christian, but now that I am older I am more convinced by science than a preacher's words. Can anyone help me?

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
(DONNIE;42590)
Just look around you. Where did all of this come from?
This isn't a good argument.Just because you don't know where it came from doesn't mean it's God who did it.

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
(Cybella;42583)
I would like very much to believe that God exists, but I cannot seem to prove it to myself. Is there any proof for his existence, besides the Bible or "just faith"? I was brought up to be a Christian, but now that I am older I am more convinced by science than a preacher's words. Can anyone help me?
You may want to check out my "I don't want to be an atheist" thread as I asked the very same question and looked for sources of God outside of the Bible.I've been looking for proof of God for a long time now, but I've yet to find it myself. Perhaps something is out there, perhaps there's nothing. Best thing I could recommend is to always keep an eye open.

NTReader

Mar 25, 2008
(Remagoen;42595)
This isn't a good argument.Just because you don't know where it came from doesn't mean it's God who did it.
I disagree with this reply. From a fundamentalist perspective in respect to intelligent design, I think you can reasonably conclude that the environment around us, the natural resources we consume, the world we inhabit, etc. are all the result of a creator. The things we witness on a day to day basis have never come from "spontaneous" acts, something doesn't occur from nothing. There is a cause and an effect. As far as the original question from this thread, I think in order to find God, one must first submit their mind to the idea that a God exists and must cast aside the wisdom of the wise and learned things of the world and must submit to the Spirit of God. Christ taught this. The oracles of God are revealed to the "babes" of the world. We must become like children from a humility standpoint and read the words of God. In there lies your answer.Galileo once said, "In questions of science the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."

Saint Gutfree

Mar 22, 2008
(NTReader;42602)
I disagree with this reply. From a fundamentalist perspective in respect to intelligent design, I think you can reasonably conclude that the environment around us, the natural resources we consume, the world we inhabit, etc. are all the result of a creator. The things we witness on a day to day basis have never come from "spontaneous" acts, something doesn't occur from nothing. There is a cause and an effect.
The problem with a designer is that it can never be used as a long term answer. The things you look at in our world / universe that you point to as evidence of a designer: sophistication, intelligence, creativity, etc... these things are all characteristics of god. Shouldn't that evidence that god couldn't have happened naturally and requires a creator? If not, then you're comitting a logical fallacy known as a special pleading.
As far as the original question from this thread, I think in order to find God, one must first submit their mind to the idea that a God exists and must cast aside the wisdom of the wise and learned things of the world and must submit to the Spirit of God.
I apologize for my frankness here, but this sounds like poor advice. Effectively, you've stated "To believe in god, you have to believe in god."
sad.gif

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
(NTReader;42602)
I disagree with this reply. From a fundamentalist perspective in respect to intelligent design, I think you can reasonably conclude that the environment around us, the natural resources we consume, the world we inhabit, etc. are all the result of a creator. The things we witness on a day to day basis have never come from "spontaneous" acts, something doesn't occur from nothing. There is a cause and an effect.
Just because you don't know what something is doesn't mean it's God. ID has also been refuted time and time again. If you wish to hear why from a Roman Catholic, please follow the following link. He was also an expert witness in the Dover trial.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSgBecause of the lack of proof or refuted evidence of ID, it calls into question everything that has formed the universe. And because we don't know where everything came from, it doesn't mean it's God.

Cybella

Mar 25, 2008
That is my main problem; any claim needs to be backed up by solid proof for me. Is there any to be found?

Cybella

Mar 25, 2008
But could we not also argue that we are here because of natural selection and a gradual evolution?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Anyone ever seen a snail ? if its 10,000 years old or one day old its still looks like a snailevolution is bunch of theroys with No facts to back it up and No one has ever been able to prove it thats why its a theroy. Survial of the fittest is the law of Nature not evoulution.Anyone give me prove of how the World or universe was formed ? No we again have nothing but guess's and theroys It never fails to amaze me how we get called on the carpet for beliving God created all yet all the secular world has is theroys and guess's with not a single fact then think they are right. And have all the answers Ill tell you what come back when you have facts not guess's and theroys.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(kriss;42640)
Anyone ever seen a snail ? if its 10,000 years old or one day old its still looks like a snailevolution is bunch of theroys with No facts to back it up and No one has ever been able to prove it thats why its a theroy. Survial of the fittest is the law of Nature not evoulution.Anyone give me prove of how the World or universe was formed ? No we again have nothing but guess's and theroys It never fails to amaze me how we get called on the carpet for beliving God created all yet all the secular world has is theroys and guess's with not a single fact then think they are right. And have all the answers Ill tell you what come back when you have facts not guess's and theroys.
oh but Kriss, you are going to hear someone say...that it is fact and that there is proof and that we owe it to ourselves to know the truth... And the Lord said "the Truth shall set you free" I'll take the truth of God over all other so called "truths" floating around this world. hm

Pildit

Feb 20, 2008
(kriss;42640)
Religion is also just a theory. Both need facts, evidence and proof to back them up.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Well that's an opinion I can understand from your point of view but that's the thing about theories isn't it ? neither can be proved so the question How can one knows God exists is unprovable to one with your opinion but that doesn't prove you right or us wrong. The fact is No one can prove God with Words alone He only shows himself to believers or should I say believers only recognize him. But trust me when I tell you there's a day soon coming when you will have to make a choice to believe to in a true or fake Christ and I assure you cant say the same about your theories of science there will always just be more theories without solid answers Ours has a outcome thats the difference

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
(kriss;42684)
But trust me when I tell you there's a day soon coming when you will have to make a choice to believe to in a true or fake Christ and I assure you cant the same about your theories of science there will always just be more theories without solid answers Ours has a outcome thats the difference
What of the "theory" of gravity? It's just a theory, not a fact.

zadzial

Mar 23, 2008
(Cybella;42583)
Out of curiousity, what sort of evidence would you accept as proof of God? Why do you need something more that the Bible? Please note, I am not trying to be rude, or critical. I really am trying to come up with an answer for you.

Cybella

Mar 25, 2008
I mean, is there any solid, scientific facts that suggest the existence of God. The reason why I need more proof than the Bible is because the Bible was written by men. Many other religions have the equivalent of the Bible, but it doesn't seem logical just to believe all of them.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Remagoen;42696)
What of the "theory" of gravity? It's just a theory, not a fact.
What about temple Wall? there are thousands of historical facts in the Bible that have been proven through science of archaeology that are facts in fact it has never been wrong in the historical facts that have been proven.It rather defies common sense to believe it is so historcally right Yet parts are fabricated liesbecause some things are scenticfic realities also it proves nothing from our perspective gravity is God law of natureSo the fact men stumbled on it is no big deal It was God who created it Not men.

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
(kriss;42794)
What about temple Wall? there are thousands of historical facts in the Bible that have been proven through science of archaeology that are facts in fact it has never been wrong in the historical facts that have been proven.It rather defies common sense to believe it is so historcally right Yet parts are fabricated liesbecause some things are scenticfic realities also it proves nothing from our perspective gravity is God law of natureSo the fact men stumbled on it is no big deal It was God who created it Not men.
So while man stumbled upon one of the rule of nature, the Theory of Gravity (which isn't a fact), man also stumbled upon the Theory of Evolution (which also isn't a fact), which has plenty of arguments in favor of it. In fact, if you care to watch a video about it in how a Roman Catholic disproves ID, please follow the link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSgThe first half he refutes ID and proves how evolution does indeed take place, while the last hour is a Q&A session. Here, he proves how the phlegelem (sp?) can indeed be broken down into simpler objects and still function, and common misconceptions about evolution and how it works and doesn't work.EDIT: I realized I didn't respond to another thing you said: Yes, there are thousands of pieces of evidence that confirm the Bible. What about the thousands that say the Bible is wrong?

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
When I pray,I feel God,I sense him. Whenever I give God something,He repays me. You may say oh that just happened,then why does it keep happening,why yesterday when I wanted to go to church last night,and couldn't I prayed then my parents took me
smile.gif