How did the biblical canon come about?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Within 4 centuries, the early church arrived at a consensus:

In his Easter letter of 367, Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, gave a list of exactly the same books that would formally become the New Testament canon, and he used the word "canonized" (κανονιζομενα) in regard to them.
Today, however, different denominations accept different sets of books in the general NT canon.

howstuffworks:

Most Protestant Bibles have 66 books, 39 in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament. The Roman Catholic Bible has 73 books including the seven known as the Apocrypha. And the Ethiopian Orthodox Church includes 81 total books in its Bible, including pseudepigrapha like 1 Enoch and Jubilees.
Personally, I do not dismiss any book but I put my highest weight on the 66 books and less weight on other books.

Wiki:

There is no scholarly consensus as to when the Hebrew Bible canon was fixed. Some scholars argue that it was fixed by the Hasmonean dynasty (140–40 BCE), while others argue it was not fixed until the second century CE or even later.
New Testament Apocrypha:

One aim with establishing the canon was to capture only those works which were held to have been written by the Apostles, or their close associates
The books in Apocrypha failed that aim.

Why was the book of Enoch quoted in Jude, yet not included in the official canon?

See Should the book of Enoch be in the Bible canon?.

See also How did the book of Revelation join the canon?.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

How did the biblical canon come about?​

Fanatical fundamentalists?......ok, ok, that was meant as a joke!.....but surely there is some truth in this :doldrums:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Within 4 centuries, the early church arrived at a consensus:

Today, however, different denominations accept different sets of books in the general NT canon.

howstuffworks:

Personally, I do not dismiss any book but I put my highest weight on the 66 books and less weight on other books.

Wiki:

New Testament Apocrypha:

The books in Apocrypha failed that aim.

Why was the book of Enoch quoted in Jude, yet not included in the official canon?

See Should the book of Enoch be in the Bible canon?.

See also How did the book of Revelation join the canon?.
I think the development of the canon was an evolution. Over a period of about 300 years after Jesus died, certain books came to be considered those most suited for study, and the decision by church leaders was that these books should be included in the canon.