How did the Holy Spirit draw you to Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Over the many years, I have heard a ton of testimonies on life before Jesus. I know that the Holy Spirit is the initiating factor in every heart. We are people with many different personalities, backgrounds, beliefs but...for myself I can honestly say it was Truth that brought me to an understanding that the God of the Bible is the True God.
I know that is not every bodies story, many will say His Love, even Fear...
So what say others?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Over the many years, I have heard a ton of testimonies on life before Jesus. I know that the Holy Spirit is the initiating factor in every heart. We are people with many different personalities, backgrounds, beliefs but...for myself I can honestly say it was Truth that brought me to an understanding that the God of the Bible is the True God.
I know that is not every bodies story, many will say His Love, even Fear...
So what say others?
Ohhhhkay then. :oops:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never saw this thread....sorry they get buried under other threads and never seen.....
I remember being sad that Jesus suffered and died for my sins and that was what made me want to get saved and serve Him. I was 7 years old...

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never saw this thread....sorry they get buried under other threads and never seen.....
I remember being sad that Jesus suffered and died for my sins and that was what made me want to get saved and serve Him. I was 7 years old...

Yeah, I miss some posts/threads too.
Wow, from 7 on! You heard His call early on ♥ You can't have much of a "testimony" then lol! Nah, you just have a different kind of testimony :) and, one that is precious in His sight!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I miss some posts/threads too.
Wow, from 7 on! You heard His call early on ♥ You can't have much of a "testimony" then lol! Nah, you just have a different kind of testimony :) and, one that is precious in His sight!
I know....I was thinking I don't know if it was the Holy Spirit or not but why not? Could have been.....what 7 year old understands someone dying for them? I did!....:)
But I was just being friendly and replying so you wouldn't feel neglected....lol.

Reactions: Nancy

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am still waiting for any input about the darkness and clouds around God....in Psalm....but it may be something I will have to research in the library.

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was 21 in a city (St. Boniface part of Winnipeg in 1980) with no friends...when I began to weep over my sins. My own heart was crying out....without any calculations on my part. I was being convicted of my sins....hounded by God.

My girlfriend had left a new testament in my apartment, although she was not a believer. She was away for the summer. So I was alone.

I read the bible as I had read every other book in the place. (I was raised Catholic and had never read the bible.) But I asked God if He was real...to stop this conviction and loneliness. As I read I asked Him (if He was there) what this "Holy Spirit" was that did such miracles I was reading about.(in Acts)

I was not eating...and I was reading all day....for a few days. As I read a passage about being "born again" a light entered into me so that I saw everything through light....like a shimmering light coming out of my eyes. I walked like that for a few days until I couldn't take it any more. At that time I had no idea what the baptism of the Spirit was...nor putting on the armour of light.

i found it amazing at first, but my unrenewed mind also found it intolerable to remain like that all the time. I wanted out.

Then when the anointing left me...I wanted it back!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He spoke to me through the mouth of another person by a question. This was unplanned and unexpected. The voice reverberated through my consciousness, I was at a crossroad and I instinctively knew that whatever answer that came out of my mouth would determine the path I would walk. I said, without giving it thought, 'I want to be with Jesus when he comes' Five minutes prior I was the argumentative smart ass not allowing myself to be cornered.

No sooner were the words out of my mouth than a peace flooded my whole being. It was a peace that I have not experienced since.
From that day my life did a 180 degree turn. A turn that I attribute to the power of God. My values were changed, my habits were changed, my interests were changed, my thoughts were changed. I was nearly twenty years old when this happened. The journey had taken a dramatic turn or I could say, the journey started.

B

brakelite

A friend asked me a question also @quietthinker . "Do you think the life you are living meets with God approval". It took me about 6 hours of "quiet thinking" to finally decide, nahh. I was lying on my back in bed and asked God, please make my life something you would not be ashamed of. He stepped into my room, wrapped me in his arms, told me he loved me, (which took several hours of spiritual hugging) and I awoke the next morning a new person. And I'm still praying every day that my life will continue to change to reflect His love and goodness.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always considered myself saved from a small child and thought I knew God, but I seldom thought of God(if ever). Christian was a title I wore because I was told that was the right thing to be. Cannot tell you the actual date but three or four years ago ...somethings began to happen that were devastating. One being my waking up to just how incapable I was at living life. There was a really dark period where it was as if I were completely cut off from the rest of the world and alone. Separated from everything and everyone...the most indescribable tearing, yearning, lonely ache inside. God would speak but I wasn’t sure it was God, or if it was me. It began with prayer. conviction and truth. truth about some ugly ways I had lived. Those same moments of separation from everything and everyone and it being just God and I. I would talk and talk and talk. And cry. There was no desire to read His word. Then I prayed for the desire to read what He says, and one day as I was praying, the Spirit moved me to open the word. He told me to read out loud to Him. He chose the passage. Revelation 19:13-16 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. [14] And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. [15] And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. [16] And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS .

What made it so special is...before I was drawn...even when I hardly ever thought of God, one day at the age of forty I walked into a library and was convinced what I had been told my whole life ...that I could not read well enough to finish a book was a lie. I know it was God even then, before. Drawing me to the Son and working in ways I knew not.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know....I was thinking I don't know if it was the Holy Spirit or not but why not? Could have been.....what 7 year old understands someone dying for them? I did!....:)
But I was just being friendly and replying so you wouldn't feel neglected....lol.
Awwww-you are sweet but, I have grown a thicker skin than when I started on here hahaha...I thought it might take off and maybe attract some testimony's of what initially (other than Holy Spirit) appealed to their hearts and minds like...love....fear of hell...Truth...
In Him,
-nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am still waiting for any input about the darkness and clouds around God....in Psalm....but it may be something I will have to research in the library.

I am not sure which Psalm you are speaking of. Maybe He dwells in the darkness surrounded by clouds because His full glory could kill us?
Interesting...

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure which Psalm you are speaking of. Maybe He dwells in the darkness surrounded by clouds because His full glory could kill us?
Interesting...
My thread Psalm 97:2
and there are a lot of cross references to it as well.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was 21 in a city (St. Boniface part of Winnipeg in 1980) with no friends...when I began to weep over my sins. My own heart was crying out....without any calculations on my part. I was being convicted of my sins....hounded by God.

My girlfriend had left a new testament in my apartment, although she was not a believer. She was away for the summer. So I was alone.

I read the bible as I had read every other book in the place. (I was raised Catholic and had never read the bible.) But I asked God if He was real...to stop this conviction and loneliness. As I read I asked Him (if He was there) what this "Holy Spirit" was that did such miracles I was reading about.(in Acts)

I was not eating...and I was reading all day....for a few days. As I read a passage about being "born again" a light entered into me so that I saw everything through light....like a shimmering light coming out of my eyes. I walked like that for a few days until I couldn't take it any more. At that time I had no idea what the baptism of the Spirit was...nor putting on the armour of light.

i found it amazing at first, but my unrenewed mind also found it intolerable to remain like that all the time. I wanted out.

Then when the anointing left me...I wanted it back!
"Then when the anointing left me...I wanted it back!" <---Lol, how human of you!! :)
I love how He uses different situations to draw us. I do believe He was drawing me from a child on but, like you being raised Catholic, I was always left with way too many unanswered questions. My heart/head was most likely harder than lot's of others as it was not until my 30's that I saw and realized the truth.
Thank you Episkipo-interesting story!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ohhhhkay then. :oops:

I can never remember NOT believing....
However I can remember NOT having a relationship with Christ Jesus.

I tried reading the Bible...didn't make sense to me.
I tried a few Churches...bored me.
I tried Sunday school...a verse highlighted, then most of the discussion appeared to be more like visiting time.

One day something sparked my interest in US Law, and I started studying the Laws. They were just as confusing as scripture.
So, I .... (we) as it was a venture shared between my spouse and myself....decided to Learn HOW to Learn.

And then for several years went back to studying the Law.
During a discussion one day, my spouse and I were talking about embarrassment, probably also edging on shame....of not having put our skills of LEARNING, toward Scripture....and a new venture was decided.

We got out the 3 inch thick Family Bible, bought many other Bibles, got our stash of blank legal tablets, dedicated a table to Bible Reading, studying, making notes, organizing, and began a new quest of daily and long hours dedicated to the Word of God.

Life happens; kids, jobs, obligations, projects, etc. So, the long hours of daily study have lessened....however a True and lasting Daily relationship was formed between the Lord, my spouse and myself, and that remains constant.

God Bless,
Taken

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Then when the anointing left me...I wanted it back!" <---Lol, how human of you!! :)
I love how He uses different situations to draw us. I do believe He was drawing me from a child on but, like you being raised Catholic, I was always left with way too many unanswered questions. My heart/head was most likely harder than lot's of others as it was not until my 30's that I saw and realized the truth.
Thank you Episkipo-interesting story!

I realize now I wasn't looking for God Himself...just for God to help me fulfill my own dreams. That's where I come from.

But over time God has weaned my from all things other than His glory. This is by no means my first choice...well...now it is! :)

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy
B

brakelite

As is common to all carnal creatures, our first experience of God and or desire for Him for most of us was inherently selfish. I wanna be saved. I wanna go to heaven. I wanna freedom from dope. I don't wanna go to hell. Or jail . I don't wanna lose my spouse. Or my kids. My job. I don't wanna be broke. Or lonely. Or sick. Our guilty. Or any or all of the above.
But yeah, over time we grow out of those selfish motives, and we, or at least we ought to, mature to such a state of mind and heart that our only motivation for knowing Christ and the Father is to serve them, and our fellow man in ways that glorify and honour Him always. Just as Jesus served His Father in such a way that benefited mankind through dying to self and living to glorify God.