How Do We Get "In The Spirit"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was a great question asked by @Soverign Grace on another thread.

Romans 8:9 "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

Simple truths, simply expressed.

You are in the Spirit of so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.

Some say that you have to "get into the Spirit", or "get into Christ", the simple truth is that if Jesus lives in you, you are now "in the Spirit".

Many will want to argue with this. But this is the simple, straightforward Word of God.

We need to form our mental definitions from the truths in Scripture.

This is why the notion of the "sin loving Christian" is ridiculous! Of course Christians don't want to sin!

Because Christ in me = me in Christ. According to this very simple verse.

We are in the Spirit.

So . . . why do we not enjoy the life in the Spirit?

We don't think we can. After all, we still sin.

We lack confidence before God because we base our understanding of our relationship with God on how we feel about ourselves instead of what God says about us.

It affects how we think, how we feel, and how we act.

God declares that we are forgiven, justified.
God declares that we are brand new people who are righteous and holy.
God declares that He has no condemnation against us.
God declares that nothing can ever separate us from Him.

God declares that He loves us, cares for us, made us because that was what He wanted to do. He saved us because that was what He wanted. And He lives with us because that is what He wants.

God does not base His relationship with us on how we feel about ourselves.

God lives in the reality that He creates.

He expresses His truth in His Word, and all He asks is that we believe it.

Yes, of course, true belief - true faith - same word in the Bible - true faith changes us, and we live better lives according to our understandings of works. Our lives look more like Christ.

But we do stand not in works, or some supposed righteousness from ourselves, but we stand in grace. And we enter that grace through faith, and not through works.

And so it is of grace entirely. And it has to be! Who could ever think that in this fallen flesh we could stand with God in our own right! What hubris!

It has to be by grace, so that it can be by faith.

To realize . . . God has nothing against you, His beloved child, you, the spirit child of God. And God is your Able Father Who can teach you how to take the control over your body of flesh, as He gave the ability in making you new, no longer a part of that body of flesh.

To realize . . . all sin is from that flesh . . . who is no longer me . . . I am His, and He is mine, forever!

This is the grace in which we stand.

And guess what? In this, sin just melts away. Law empowers sin. Faith overcomes. Grace is Grace to Stand.

So remember . . . your loving Father is always with you, doting on you, so in love with you . . . He made you to love and be loved . . . and Jesus is always making intercession for us . . . why?

I believe it is because God wants us to be with Him here now in love and in joy.

Much love!
Mark

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Romans 8:9 "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

Simple truths, simply exressed.

Some say that you have to "get into the Spirit", or "get into Christ", the simple truth is that if Jesus lives in you, you are now "in the Spirit".

Many will want to argue with this. But this is the simple, straightforward Word of God.

This is why the notion of the "sin loving Christian" is ridiculous! Of course Christians don't want to sin!

We are in the Spirit.

We lack confidence before God because we base our understanding of our relationship with God on how we feel about ourselves instead of what God says about us.

God declares that He loves us, cares for us, made us because that was what He wanted to do. He saved us because that was what He wanted. And He lives with us because that is what He wants.

Yes, of course, true belief - true faith - same word in the Bible - true faith changes is, and we live better lives according to our understandings of works. Our lives look more like Christ.

But we do stand not in works, or some supposed righteousness from ourselves, but we stand in grace. And we enter that grace through faith, and not through works.

And so it is of grace entirely. And it has to be! Who could ever think that in this fallen flesh we could stand with God in our own right! What hubris!

To realize . . . God has nothing against you, His beloved child, you, the spirit child of God. And God is your Able Father Who can teach you how to take the control over your body of flesh, as He gave the ability in making you new, no longer a part of that body of flesh.

To realize . . . all sin is from that flesh . . . who is no longer me . . . I am His, and He is mine, forever!

And guess what? In this, sin just melts away. Law empowers sin. Faith overcomes. Grace is Grace to Stand.

So remember . . . your loving Father is always with you, doting on you, so in love with you . . . He made you to love and be loved . . . and Jesus is always making intercession for us . . . why?

I believe it is because God wants us to be with Him here now in love and in joy.

Much love!
Mark

Love your post Marks,
I believe also that we always have the Spirit within us, from the moment of conversion!
"We lack confidence before God because we base our understanding of our relationship with God on how we feel about ourselves instead of what God says about us."
I would much rather believe what our unfailing, all Loving God say's about me than what I say about myself!
Many struggle with being self-conscience rather than focusing on being Christ conscience. Once one gets this, they will then have His confidence! :)
Good post!
In Him,
nancy

D

Dave L

Here's my approach to walking in the Spirit.

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” (2 Corinthians 10:5) (KJV 1900)

We censor every impure thought or imagination. And change the channel in our thinking on any thought that does not conform to obedience to Christ.

And we replace it with:

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Knowing Jesus is God and God is love. So Jesus is lord of our lives when love rules our thoughts and actions.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We censor every impure thought or imagination. And change the channel in our thinking on any thought that does not conform to obedience to Christ.
hi Dave,

I think so too.

I think many Christians are mistaken over the notion of the flesh having power, and that this partly arises because we think that God is opposed to us because of those things we don't cast down.

See! look at you! God doesn't want you like that!

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Amen!

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marks: How do you get in the Spirit? "This was a great question asked by @Soverign Grace on another thread.

Some say that you have to "get into the Spirit", or "get into Christ", the simple truth is that if Jesus lives in you, you are now "in the Spirit". Many will want to argue with this. But this is the simple, straightforward Word of God.
He expresses His truth in His Word, and all He asks is that we believe it."

I ask these questions simply to help clarify the discussion, not the challenge any one's salvation. So do you think the Holy Spirit jumps just because we crack our belief whip? You answer the question "How do you get in the Spirit?" by asserting that "Jesus lives in you" by faith. So a prior question is how can you pass Paul's test for claiming that Jesus lives in you?

"In dealing with you we will live with Him by the power of God. Examine yourselves to see if you are living in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not realize that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless, indeed, you fail to meet the test (2 cor 13:4-5)!"

We can use the right God talk or Gospel affirmations. But how do respond to Paul's demand of a demonstration of power?

"I will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I will find out not the [God] talk of these arrogant people but their power. For the kingdom of God depends not on talk but on power (1 Corinthians 4:19-20)."

Much love!
Mark[/QUOTE]

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ask these questions simply to help clarify the discussion, not the challenge any one's salvation. So do you think the Holy Spirit jumps just because we crack our belief whip?

Belief whip? What is that?

Edit to add: I think I know what you mean, maybe the same as others say, that God does not respond to our faith, so we must be thinking that our faith must be to us a divine call button that makes God jump. Is that the idea?

"In dealing with you we will live with Him by the power of God. Examine yourselves to see if you are living in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not realize that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless, indeed, you fail to meet the test (2 cor 13:4-5)!"

We can use the right God talk or Gospel affirmations. But how do respond to Paul's demand of a demonstration of power?

"I will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I will find out not the [God] talk of these arrogant people but their power. For the kingdom of God depends not on talk but on power (1 Corinthians 4:19-20)."

18 Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you.
19 But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power.
20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.
21 What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?

God talk?

Do you want me to prove my salvation to you? Is that what you are asking?

If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart . . .

Much love!
Mark

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You answer the question "How do you get in the Spirit?" by asserting that "Jesus lives in you" by faith.

Actually that's not quite right.

I answer the question, "How do you get in the Spirit" by giving the Biblical definition of what "in the Spirit" is.

Not something that we as Christians aspire to, rather, something that Christians are.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Hisman and Nancy

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marks:"Belief whip? What is that?
My point is this: receiving the Holy Spirit is not an automatic result of formally professing faith, but is an experience of power subject to God's sovereign will. So your thread asks the appropriate question, How do we know that we have the Spirit? And you repled that Christ is in us. But that pushes the question back to my question, How do we know whether we "pass the test" that Christ dwells within us (2 Cor 13:4-5)?
Corinthians claim to talk the right theological talk, but Paul counters this by warning that, when he comes for a visit, he will determine not their correct theology, but their demonstrable "power" (4:19-20). So my question is, How can we know whether we pass the test of Christ's indwelling presence and of the demonstrable power that he insists is essential for claiming membership in the kingdom of God (1 Cor 4:19-20)? Please reread my prior post in the light of this clarification. I asked you an experience- based question and you replied with doctrine that takes the experience of the regenerating Spirit for granted.

Reactions: Waiting on him

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are confusing "indwelt by the Spirit" with being "filled with the Spirit" (walking in the Spirit). These are not identical.

I'd say "filled with the Spirit" means one thing, and "walking in the Spirit" means something else.

Acts 4
27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,
28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.
29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,
30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.
31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

If being filled with the Spirit is the same as walking in the Spirit, that would suggest that these who prayed were doing so "according to the flesh", as they were "filled with the Spirit" after their prayer.

But what I'm pointing out on this thread is that the Bible defines being "in the Spirit" not as some do, that there is some certain work or mindset by which we make it happen, instead, this is what God does for us entirely of Himself, when we are born again.

What remains for us is not to somehow make being "in Christ" happen for ourselves, rather, to know that I am in Him, and He is in me, so I can live the new life.

Much love!
Mark

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'd say "filled with the Spirit" means one thing, and "walking in the Spirit" means something else.
How can one walk in the Spirit and not be filled with the Spirit (including boldly proclaiming the Word God)?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can one walk in the Spirit and not be filled with the Spirit (including boldly proclaiming the Word God)?

We do have the Spirit in us, and there is apparently another "filling with the Spirit" that can happen to is also.

If we take the example from Acts, these believers were gathered together praying, and, if being filled with the Spirit in that example was prerequisite to walking in the Spirit, then we'd have to conclude they were not walking in the Spirit in their prayer. But I don't think that is so. God gives us more sometimes, but He's also given is enough, all that we need for life AND godliness.

We are in the spirit if the spirit of Christ is in is.

And, we can be filled with the spirit.

These believers in the passage above had received the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, and they were filled with the Spirit later.

I conclude being baptized into Christ, the baptism of the Holy Spirit, in which we become In Christ, and Christ comes to live in us, is one thing, and being "filled with the Spirit" as in this example is something different.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Hisman

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Simple truths, simply exressed.

We are in the Spirit.

Yes, of course, true belief - true faith - same word in the Bible - true faith changes us, and we live better lives according to our understandings of works. Our lives look more like Christ.

Much love!
Mark
I so wish everybody could see that as clearly as you do. Amen.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marks:"Belief whip? What is that?
My point is this: receiving the Holy Spirit is not an automatic result of formally professing faith, but is an experience of power subject to God's sovereign will.

OK, cool, I'm not talking about the so-called profession of faith. That's just words.

So your thread asks the appropriate question, How do we know that we have the Spirit?

Wasn't actually that the question you asked?

I'm posting regarding what it means to be in the Spirit. How we know that is so is a different question.

And you repled that Christ is in us. But that pushes the question back to my question, How do we know whether we "pass the test" that Christ dwells within us (2 Cor 13:4-5)?

Corinthians claim to talk the right theological talk, but Paul counters this by warning that, when he comes for a visit, he will determine not their correct theology, but their demonstrable "power" (4:19-20). So my question is, How can we know whether we pass the test of Christ's indwelling presence and of the demonstrable power that he insists is essential for claiming membership in the kingdom of God (1 Cor 4:19-20)? Please reread my prior post in the light of this clarification. I asked you an experience- based question and you replied with doctrine that takes the experience of the regenerating Spirit for granted.

Let's remember what Paul is addressing to the Corinthians.

The church was divided, following after this one and that one.

1 Corinthians 4
15 For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.
18 Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you.
19 But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power.
20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.

Those that speak out of pride - but aren't the real deal.

I asked you an experience- based question and you replied with doctrine that takes the experience of the regenerating Spirit for granted.

Peter wrote that our perserverance through trials show us genuine.

John wrote:

1 John 4
11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

If we love, we know we are in Him, and He in is, because He gave us of His Spirit.
We love because we have His Spirit. And having His Spirit, we know we are in Him, and He in us.

:)

Statements of Truth for me, experiences for you!

Then there is power over sin. And so much more! What did you have in mind?

But seriously, I hold Scripture over experience any day! At the end of the day, If we confess with our mouth the Lord Jesus, believing in our heart God raised Him from the dead, we will be saved. And God gives much detail on how He does that, including Christ in me, and me in Christ.

Curious . . . how do you know you are in the Spirit?

Much love!
Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Hisman

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl I just hope people will discover the liberty to live for God that these truths bring!

Much love!
People think they already have that liberty, that they are completely free but they aren't they are still caged by their wrongful beliefs. This is what one of my previous threads was about. A form of freedom.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People think they already have that liberty, that they are completely free but they aren't they are still caged by their wrongful beliefs. This is what one of my previous threads was about. A form of freedom.

Right! The birds that don't fly.

One thing that prompts me to post on this topic is remembering how many times in churches or on the radio or just talking to people I've heard the paradigm expressed that we are sorry sinners, thank God that He pretends we're not, and one day we won't be.

But then I realized what the Bible really says, that we are new creations, God's spirit children, forever free from all stain and sin and condemnation. For me, it was about the stain of sin. I felt so tainted. And believe me, I was damaged goods.

To go from so low in life to such a precious and amazing reality, well, I believe, therefore I speak.

Yes, that was a good post!

I think that some people are afraid of this truth. Afraid that if they remove all legalism in favor of strictly a personal relationship with Jesus that they will fall flat on their face. That we have to have law of some kind to keep us in line.

I think some think that we just don't have what we need - right now, in Christ - to live by faith - Jesus' faith in us.

I remember a men's group I was at, and hearing a man confess his broken marriage. He couldn't understand what had gone so terribly wrong, what he had done. I ached to tell him that we all sin in the flesh, but in the spirit we can simply walk away from that into faith in Jesus, and He will give us love and wisdom that will conquer all of these things.

The pastor was in our small group so I waited.

My heart wrenched to hear him tell this man, "We sinners, and we're just going to sin." I couldn't even tell you what he said after that.

I thought it was simply much too good to be true. As someone else posted, I forget who, grace is scandalous. Not just in who God forgives, but what He forgives, and how often He forgives, and,

well, That God always forgives. That is scandalous! As we commit sins He is at the same time loving us and forgiving us and pleading with us. And God gets our attention, and the eyes of our faith back onto Jesus, and off the waves, we can walk away whatever it is, all the while loved by God, and free to love Him.

Thank you for your encouraging words. It's a good fight!

Much love!
Mark

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While we walk in flesh, we don't walk according to flesh. We walk in the Spirit.

We live our human Adamic life in a body of this creation, but we don't live the way we did when all we were was that creation. Now we are a new creation, and so we live the way of that creation, the way of the Spirit. God is Spirit, and what is born of Spirit is spirit. Not flesh. Therefore it is no longer I that sin, but sin that lives in me, in my flesh. The Adamic creation.

In the new creation, we are righteous and holy, in a love relationship with a righteous and holy God Who delights in us, sings and rejoices over us, and wants for us the beauty and goodness that His love can bring into our lives.

And what makes God sad? Grieves His Spirit?

Ephesians 4:29-30
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

If I look at the most plain face reading, I am to serve grace to those who hear me, and not make the Spirit of God sad, it's He Who has sealed me! That's grace!

Much love!
Mark

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I haven't read the other posts yet...just the OP I will go back and read the rest now.

But "for me" the question is not "How do we get into the Spirit" ...but "How do we stay in the Spirit!! "

“Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name..."

Our problem is we don't stay in.

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High...."

"Abide in Me..."

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marks: How do you get in the Spirit? "This was a great question asked by @Soverign Grace on another thread.

Some say that you have to "get into the Spirit", or "get into Christ", the simple truth is that if Jesus lives in you, you are now "in the Spirit". Many will want to argue with this. But this is the simple, straightforward Word of God.
He expresses His truth in His Word, and all He asks is that we believe it."

I ask these questions simply to help clarify the discussion, not the challenge any one's salvation. So do you think the Holy Spirit jumps just because we crack our belief whip? You answer the question "How do you get in the Spirit?" by asserting that "Jesus lives in you" by faith. So a prior question is how can you pass Paul's test for claiming that Jesus lives in you?

Much love!
Mark
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for answering me! I know that I'm spiritually regenerated yet we read in Revelations that Paul was "in the spirit" : "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet," This verse makes me believe that Paul entered some type of experience; one that I long for. There have been times throughout my life when I've blipped in and out of God's Holy Presence. There were times when I really sensed the Lord close but then it passes.

If Paul could get "in the Spirit on the Lord's day" how does anyone else do it? Maybe no one has experienced this or can answer it. The pastor at our bible study has been unable to answer all my questions and tells me that when I get to heaven I can ask Him. I just wondered if anyone else pondered over that verse and what it means, and if possible, how to replicate it.

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy