How do we understand the name "I AM that I AM?" in Exodus 3:14

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ben Abraham

Dec 13, 2020
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PARASHAT: "Shemot" (names) EXODUS 1:1-6:1

We enter into a new era, Jacob/Israel and Joseph are now in the past, yet their legacy continues, in “Am Yisrael” (The People of Israel).

”70 souls” entered Mitzraim (Egypt). It is interesting that the Hebrew word “Nefesh” is used for “souls” yet the word is in the singular, but why? Is there symbolism here? If we are to read this in English, we would read; “70 soul entered Egypt”.

One could say that the word “Nefesh” (Soul) could refer to the whole “Family” of Israel as ONE (Echad) family unit, as we are ONE with Elohim, then all of Israel was ONE as well.

As we know, the "Hyksos kings" were ruling when Joseph came to Egypt. The "Hyksos" were known by the Egyptian title "Heka Khasut" or "foreign rulers of the hill country." They ruled between 1630 and 1530 BCE, during the time of Joseph. It is believed that they came from Western Asia, others think they were Semites or Hittites

hundreds of years later, we have a few million Hebrews. There is a list at the beginning of Exodus of the “B'nei Israel” (the sons of Israel) and they had their children, and their children had children, etc. They remained in the area of “Goshen” along the Nile Delta, farming, and raising cattle, and probably a few became merchants adapting to life in Egypt. They got used to seeing Egyptian deities and probably understood spoken Egyptian. Who knows if many became “Egyptianized” did they bow down to the deities? Let's hope not.

How much did they retain about Adonai? El Shaddai? We don't know, but I am sure that the story of Joseph and how he brought his family to Egypt from Canaan was passed down from family to family. The story of the famine, and how Yosef preserved life in midst of the famine. So “B'nei Israel” multiplied, and the land was filled with the "children of Israel”, and now the Egyptians start to get nervous. In verse 8, problems start;

” And there arose a new king over Egypt who knew not Joseph”

This new king had overthrown the Hyksos rulers, and did not personally know Yosef nor knew of his accomplishments to save Egypt. Some tradition says that in part, the Hebrews had become “Egyptianized” and failed to keep the memory of Yosef alive and what he did.

There are a few ideas of who it might have been. Some believe it might have been “Pharaoh Ahmose or Rameses II" A little on Egyptian words and etymology, the Egyptian word “meses” or “mose” means “born of” so the name “Moshe” or “Moses” is similar to “meses” (born of) or (Taken from).

Since Moses was “Taken from the water, or from the river (The Nile). We ask what might have been the Egyptian name Moses used? The Egyptian word for “river” is “iteru” so, his name might have been “Iterumose” or “Iterumeses” (given ancient Egyptian entomology) There were many “Rameses” it means “Born of the god RA” “Ahmose” probably (born of “Ah”) “Thutmose” (born of the god Thut) and so on. So many pharaohs took on those names.

Also, the title “Pharaoh” is exactly that, a title, not a name. It comes from two Egyptian words; “per” and “o” “Per” = house, and “O” = great. So the title “pharaoh” means “of the Great House” It would be like saying; “I am going to Washington D.C. to see the White House” What you are saying is that you are going to see the president, who “lives” in the White House.

The pharaoh of verse 8 is paranoid and thinks that the Israelites will join up with a foreign enemy to overthrow Egypt again, like in the times of the Hyksos. Now slavery starts and the Hebrews (the Egyptian word is “Hapiru”) are made slaves, and the time of Hebrew prosperity and freedom is over.

Yet Elohim hears the cries of his people, and has selected the tribe of Levi, through a couple; Amran and Jochebed, to bring into the world, “Moshe” who would be a sort of “Mashiach” (like Yosef) to lead Israel OUT of Egypt, in God's appointed time. YHVH has a time for ALL THINGS, we cannot rush God's clock, it ticks slowly for us, yet it ticks out second by second and includes us all in the plan of things.

The throne of Egyptian changes, and the pharaohs continue to be paranoid, one develops a plan to “curb” the birth rate by killing the baby boys, according to the historian 'Ted Stewart' in his book “solving the Exodus Mystery” the pharaoh who ordered the death of the male infants was “Sesostris III” we see that Moshe is adopted by the daughter of this pharaoh.

• Love
Reactions: amadeus and Keturah

Ben Abraham

Dec 13, 2020
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moshe grows up in the palace and is raised as a “prince of Egypt” and at the same time, “retaining (inside) his Hebrew identity”. We remember that he kills an Egyptian in defending one of his own. The Pharaoh that sought his death was “Amenemhet III”. Moshe fled and spent 40 years in Midian, upon returning, he faced the Pharaoh “Amenemhet IV” who was the Pharaoh of the Exodus, who pursued the Israelites through the Red Sea, (and didn't quite make it, receiving a very fatal water baptism). (T. Stewart, Solving the Exodus Mystery, www.biblediscoveries.com).

When Moshe fled, there is an interesting verse, 2:15, it says that “Moshe fled from the face of Pharaoh, and dwelt in the land of Midian (which is now Saudi Arabia). “And he sat down by a well.”

We can read scripture from a literal standpoint. Yes, Moshe fled and probably went East then South to get to the land of Midian. If he took that direct route (no one knows for sure) it would have been a 250-mile hike. We don’t know how many supplies he took with him, how much water, etc, since he was on the run from Pharoah. But he arrived might thirsty.

A well was a meeting point in those days, so he knew that people would be coming to get water. Sure enough, came Yitro’s daughters to get water and he was there to help and defend the damsels. Yet we need also to look at this from a derashic and symbolic standpoint. Moshe has made contact with the “well”. A water well represents life. Moshe hangs on to life. One of Yeshua’s titles is “The Living Water”. We might look at that well symbolically as “Yeshua, the Well of Living Water (Yeshua, HaBeer Mayim Chayim)

Adonai Showed grace upon grace to Moshe, since he would be his instrument of redeeming Israel from Egyptian bondage. The word for “grace” is “Rachem” and “Rachamim” is the plural form; “a large and plentiful amount of grace” there is “Mayim” in “Rachamim” (spelled with the Hebrew letters) so grace is like plentiful water, and since Yeshua is the “Living Water” He is the author of “grace”. Moshe would be a “Messiah type” who would “take his people out” and that is the meaning of the name “Moshe” (taken out of) so he would live up to his name.

He is something else interesting. How does Moshe represent The Messiah? The word “HaMashiach” is spelled in Hebrew; “Hey, Mem, Sheen, Yod, Chet” and the words “Moshe Chai” (Moses lives) have the “Same Letters!” “Mem, Sheen, Hey, Chet, Yod” in gematria, it equals “363”

When we add 3+6+3 = 12, which is the number of the tribes that Moshe led from bondage. 1+2=3, and “3” is the number that represents “Elohim” who led the people through the wilderness. So, we can conclude that “Moshe lives in Mashiach, and the Spirit of Mashiach lives in Moshe” He was guided by the Spirit of God for 120 years.

Matthew 2:15 states; “Out of Egypt I have called my son” Yeshua went down to Egypt with his parents to escape Herod, they spent some years there and then returned to Israel. Yet also Israel is the son, as he went to Egypt when he was old, and his bones were “carried out” yet Moshe also represents Israel as a nation, and Moshe went out with Israel, and since Moshe symbolizes Mashiach, then, the verse fits both parties (yet primarily, it fits Yeshua first).

This Parashah has so much that I wish to concentrate on the “Calling of Moshe” in chapter three of Shemot God calls to Moshe while he is taking care of Yitro's sheep near Mt. Sinai. A note to mention is that God prepares his servants beforehand, before sending them out on the mission fields, “Midian and the flocks of sheep” were the training grounds and subjects of his training, before leading out “Human sheep” to the land of Midian that “he now knew and was familiar with”

God calls him saying; “Anochi Elohei Aviyha” (I am the God of your father) so the name “Elohei” is used, then he uses a more personal name in verse 14; “Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh” if you can really call it a name, it is translated as I AM that or who I AM, which is really not a name at all. So, what is God trying to convey to Moshe? In a way, he is saying, “Is a proper name so important Moe? Just understand that I EXIST! I have existed in the past, the present, and will exist in the future” the word “Ehyeh” is a form of “Haya” or “Havayah” meaning “to exist” or “the essence of being” from this we get the most sacred name of God: YHVH. The same letters Y H V rearranged form the words; Haya=past Hoveh=present YiYah=future, so the essence of the name "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh" is the "I am the God who exists, have existed, and who will exist"

HaVaYaH (re-arrange the letters and we get YHVH) modern translators put in vowels to get YeHoVaH and have changed the Y to J to become JEHOVAH, but that is not the original name, there exists no “J” in Hebrew.

The other name used in chapter 3 is “Elohim” “Elohim” said to Moshe...Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh...” “Elohim” is the “all-powerful God of Creation, the Triune God (im) who we know, as Messianic believers, as being EL (father) BEN-YESHUA, (Yeshua the Son) RUACH-HaKodesh (The Holy Spirit).

Elohim has revealed himself to us in human form through YESHUA, and as Moshe leads his people out of the slavery of physical bondage, YESHUA leads us out of the bondage of spiritual slavery of sin, leading us to a new life, in a personal relationship with HIM, as the Israelites entered into a renewed relationship with Elohei starting at Sinai, our relationship starts at Calvary. We are now joined to “His chosen people” through adoption, both native-born in Israel, and those who are from the diaspora, we are all ONE (ECHAD) in Messiah Yeshua Ben David, Ben Adam, and Ben YHVH.

We continue to read and we find in chapter 4 that YHVH sends Moshe back to Egypt to lead his people out. We find that God works through people, some very special, others very ordinary. Yet before sending back Moshe, He prepares him in the desert as a shepherd. One can divide the life of Moshe into three parts, the first 40 years as prince and general in Egypt, the second 40 years as an outcast, yet an instrument in the hands of YHVH, and the last 40 years as leader of Israel.

Before sending him back, there are three signs that YHVH gives Moshe, as “authority”. When we look at these three signs of authority, we see “Yeshua” in these signs. The first was the “Mateh” (The staff). It was common for every household leader to carry a staff, a little more than just a “walking stick”. The “Mateh” was a sign of leadership and authority. But this one would be changed into a serpent when Moshe threw it down before Pharaoh. The serpent was a sign of “kingly authority” in Egypt, as it was a part of the royal headdress that the pharaohs wore.

Shepherds carried a “rod” and a “staff” when leading sheep. The “rod” being a short, heavy club that was used as a weapon, and the “staff” to lead. Yeshua is the “good shepherd” who leads us, who, “crushed the head of the serpent” at Calvary.

The second sign was the sign of “disease and healing of said disease” namely “Tza-arat” (leprosy). We see in the Prophets that Elisha healed Naaman the Syrian of leprosy, and Yeshua also healed the sick, including lepers. Even in the desert, those who were bitten by “serpents” were healed by a “bronze serpent on a staff” (again, returning to the staff and serpent). Yeshua is our healer and heals us of the curse of sin and death.

The third sign was the “water turned to blood” on dry land (4:9). This reminds us of our Messiah Yeshua, who when on the cross, was pierced by a roman spear, and out of his side came “blood and water” and this mixture of “blood and water” fell from the cross on dry land. By his shed blood, we are saved, by Yeshua who is the “living Water”.

Ben Avraham

• Love
Reactions: amadeus and Keturah

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An Hebrew among Hebrews, a redeemed of the Messiah; Ben Avraham...son of Abraham, glad to meet you. I am a daughter of promise fulfilled; to the God of Abraham !

Thank you from you perspective, it is much appreciated, as you are one schooled in both cultures. I hope to hear more that edifies neither Jew nor Gentile but ALL for we are one in Christ !

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PARASHAT: "Shemot" (names) EXODUS 1:1-6:1

We enter into a new era, Jacob/Israel and Joseph are now in the past, yet their legacy continues, in “Am Yisrael” (The People of Israel).

”70 souls” entered Mitzraim (Egypt). It is interesting that the Hebrew word “Nefesh” is used for “souls” yet the word is in the singular, but why? Is there symbolism here? If we are to read this in English, we would read; “70 soul entered Egypt”.

One could say that the word “Nefesh” (Soul) could refer to the whole “Family” of Israel as ONE (Echad) family unit, as we are ONE with Elohim, then all of Israel was ONE as well.

As we know, the "Hyksos kings" were ruling when Joseph came to Egypt. The "Hyksos" were known by the Egyptian title "Heka Khasut" or "foreign rulers of the hill country." They ruled between 1630 and 1530 BCE, during the time of Joseph. It is believed that they came from Western Asia, others think they were Semites or Hittites

hundreds of years later, we have a few million Hebrews. There is a list at the beginning of Exodus of the “B'nei Israel” (the sons of Israel) and they had their children, and their children had children, etc. They remained in the area of “Goshen” along the Nile Delta, farming, and raising cattle, and probably a few became merchants adapting to life in Egypt. They got used to seeing Egyptian deities and probably understood spoken Egyptian. Who knows if many became “Egyptianized” did they bow down to the deities? Let's hope not.

How much did they retain about Adonai? El Shaddai? We don't know, but I am sure that the story of Joseph and how he brought his family to Egypt from Canaan was passed down from family to family. The story of the famine, and how Yosef preserved life in midst of the famine. So “B'nei Israel” multiplied, and the land was filled with the "children of Israel”, and now the Egyptians start to get nervous. In verse 8, problems start;

” And there arose a new king over Egypt who knew not Joseph”

This new king had overthrown the Hyksos rulers, and did not personally know Yosef nor knew of his accomplishments to save Egypt. Some tradition says that in part, the Hebrews had become “Egyptianized” and failed to keep the memory of Yosef alive and what he did.

There are a few ideas of who it might have been. Some believe it might have been “Pharaoh Ahmose or Rameses II" A little on Egyptian words and etymology, the Egyptian word “meses” or “mose” means “born of” so the name “Moshe” or “Moses” is similar to “meses” (born of) or (Taken from).

Since Moses was “Taken from the water, or from the river (The Nile). We ask what might have been the Egyptian name Moses used? The Egyptian word for “river” is “iteru” so, his name might have been “Iterumose” or “Iterumeses” (given ancient Egyptian entomology) There were many “Rameses” it means “Born of the god RA” “Ahmose” probably (born of “Ah”) “Thutmose” (born of the god Thut) and so on. So many pharaohs took on those names.

Also, the title “Pharaoh” is exactly that, a title, not a name. It comes from two Egyptian words; “per” and “o” “Per” = house, and “O” = great. So the title “pharaoh” means “of the Great House” It would be like saying; “I am going to Washington D.C. to see the White House” What you are saying is that you are going to see the president, who “lives” in the White House.

The pharaoh of verse 8 is paranoid and thinks that the Israelites will join up with a foreign enemy to overthrow Egypt again, like in the times of the Hyksos. Now slavery starts and the Hebrews (the Egyptian word is “Hapiru”) are made slaves, and the time of Hebrew prosperity and freedom is over.

Yet Elohim hears the cries of his people, and has selected the tribe of Levi, through a couple; Amran and Jochebed, to bring into the world, “Moshe” who would be a sort of “Mashiach” (like Yosef) to lead Israel OUT of Egypt, in God's appointed time. YHVH has a time for ALL THINGS, we cannot rush God's clock, it ticks slowly for us, yet it ticks out second by second and includes us all in the plan of things.

The throne of Egyptian changes, and the pharaohs continue to be paranoid, one develops a plan to “curb” the birth rate by killing the baby boys, according to the historian 'Ted Stewart' in his book “solving the Exodus Mystery” the pharaoh who ordered the death of the male infants was “Sesostris III” we see that Moshe is adopted by the daughter of this pharaoh.
I Am that I Am is not the name given to Moses sir, it was never God's name.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses asked God his name in order to answer the question, "who shall I say sent me?" The answer is "I am he who is." In other words, "I am the God who actually exists."

Reactions: ChristisGod

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses asked God his name in order to answer the question, "who shall I say sent me?" The answer is "I am he who is." In other words, "I am the God who actually exists."
Actually, that is just a little part of the whole answer of God. This is it:

Exo. 3:
11 However, Moses said to the true God: “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”
12 To this he said: “I will prove to be with you, and this is the sign for you that it was I who sent you: After you have brought the people out of Egypt, you people will serve the true God on this mountain.”

13 But Moses said to the true God: “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What should I say to them?” 14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’” 15 Then God said once more to Moses:

“This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation. 16 Now go, and gather the elders of Israel and say to them, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers has appeared to me, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and he said: “I have certainly taken notice of you and of what is being done to you in Egypt. 17 So I say, I will take you away from affliction at the hands of the Egyptians to the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, to a land flowing with milk and honey.”’

18 “They will certainly listen to your voice, and you will go, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt, and you men should say to him: ‘Jehovah the God of the Hebrews has communicated with us. So, please, let us make a three-day journey into the wilderness so that we may sacrifice to Jehovah our God.’ 19 But I myself well know that the king of Egypt will not give you permission to go unless a mighty hand compels him. 20 So I will have to stretch out my hand and strike Egypt with all my extraordinary acts that I will do in it, and after that he will send you out. 21 And I will give this people favor in the eyes of the Egyptians, and when you go, you will by no means go empty-handed. 22 Each woman must ask her neighbor and the woman lodging in her house for articles of silver and of gold as well as clothing, and you will put them on your sons and your daughters; and you will plunder the Egyptians.”

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, God prefaced the explicit answer of what his name is with his defining attribute of existing eternally.

We speak this way today. Suppose you come up to a seen on a road with multiple cars piled up in all directions. I am just standing there taking in the seen, perhaps in shock. You come up to me and ask, "what happened?"

I might reply, "I caused this accident. Many people are hurt. Some might be dead." This is a preface to answering your question.

It is explaining first, my unique attribute in answering what happened. Perhaps, it is even more important to know than the question you asked. In context, Moses happened on a supernatural event, a bush burning but not consumed. What is the name of the agent of this miraculous, supernatural event is less important than knowing of all such creatures capable of performing such miracles, you are interacting with the Creator of all that exists.

Powerful stuff.

And the next verse, the Creator explicitly answers Moses question. His name is YHWH.

Have you read Ex 3:15? It is one of the most important verses in all of Scripture? The eternal Creator goes on to say, this name is to be remembered for all generations. Did you know the name YHWH is the name to be remembered for all generations as the eternal Creator?

Odd that most don't, especially given how important names are throughout Scripture.

Reactions: APAK and CadyandZoe

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually god simply said, that if the people ask who sent you, just say "I am " sent you

Exodus 3:14

King James Version

14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

I am who (that) I am is more a simple declaration by God that He is who He is!

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually god simply said, that if the people ask who sent you, just say "I am " sent you

Exodus 3:14​

King James Version​

14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

Ehyeh in Ex. 3:14 and the rest of the Pentateuch

Strong’s #1961 does not give the meaning of ehyeh (one of many forms of the ‘be’ verb, hayah), but, instead, the meaning of the overall form (including ehyeh) of the ‘be’ verb hayah.

Ehyeh itself is always rendered as “I will be” in the rest of the writings of Moses (see below).

“Nevertheless, Exod. 3 does not appear to give a new name for the first time but the explanation of a name known already [YHWH] but now identified as the saving God of Israel....” - The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, p. 69, Vol. 2, Zondervan, 1986.

In its commentary on Exodus 3:14,15, the JPS Tanakh, Jewish Study Bible, Oxford Edition states:

"14: God's proper name disclosed in the next verse is YHVH (spelled yod-heh-vav-heh. In Heb., in ancient times, the "vav" was pronounced "w"). But here God first tells Moses its meaning; ehyeh-asher-ehyeh, probably best translated as "I will be what I will be, …. 15: The LORD: The Heb states God’s name, YHVH, (meaning, according to v. 14): “He Will Be.” - Oxford University Press, 2004.

Notice how ehyeh was translated at Ex. 3:14 in the following Bibles: Moffatt’s translation - “I WILL BE”; Byington’s - “I WILL BE”; Rotherham’s - “I WILL BECOME.” In addition were the following alternate readings in footnotes: American Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; NIV Study Bible - “I WILL BE”; Revised Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; New Revised Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; New English Bible - “I WILL BE”; Revised English Bible - “I WILL BE”; Holman Christian Standard Bible - "I WILL BE"; Living Bible - “I WILL BE”; Good News Bible - “I WILL BE.”

The Encyclopedia Britannica had this to say on this subject:

“The writer of Exodus 3:14-15 ... explains it [the meaning of God’s name] by the phrase EHYEH asher EHYEH (Ex. iii., 14); this can be translated ‘I am that I am’ or more exactly ‘I am wont to be that which I am wont to be’ or ‘I will be that which I will be.’” - p. 995, 14th ed., v. 12.

Although it takes some effort to further check out the meaning of ehyeh, it is worth it. With a good Hebrew-English Interlinear Bible you can prove to yourself that ehyeh should be translated “I will be” (or a similar rendering) at Ex. 3:14.

In contrast to the paucity of evidence for an “I am” interpretation of ehyeh you will find that all of the books of Moses (the Pentateuch), including Exodus, of course, and the book of Joshua always use ehyeh to mean “I will be.” The list of all uses of ehyeh in the writings of Moses can be found below. Check out the various translations of these scriptures. A Hebrew interlinear will back up what I have listed.

2 Samuel 7:14 in the annotated list is quoted in the New Testament scriptures at Hebrews 1:5. Notice that when ehyeh (2 Sam. 7:14) was translated into the NT Greek by the inspired Bible writer at Heb. 1:5, he didn’t write ego eimi (“I am”) but ego esomai (“I will be”)! (Esomai is also used at 2 Sam. 7:14 in the Septuagint, the ancient Greek OT,)

Ezekiel 11:20 in the list is also quoted in the NT at Heb. 8:10. Ehyeh in Ezekiel 11:20 is translated as "I will be," of course, and the quoting of this word by the NT writer in Heb. 8:10 is esomai ("I will be") not ego eimi (“I am”). (Ego esomai is used at Ezek. 11:20 in the Septuagint also.)

Conversely, the trinitarian United Bible Societies and trinitarian scholar Delitzsch both translated the Greek “I will be” of Rev. 21:7 into the Hebrew ehyeh. - See their Hebrew New Testaments.

Not only is ehyeh overwhelmingly translated “I will be” instead of “I am,” but in the vast majority of these instances you will find Jehovah speaking and declaring his “power and enduring presence with [his people]” precisely as was explained above in the New Bible Dictionary statement explaining ehyeh at Ex. 3:14 !

The trinitarian Today’s Dictionary of the Bible, 1982, Bethany House, pp. 330-331, says of Ex. 3:14 -

“It has been rendered, ‘I WILL BE that I WILL BE’ as an indication of God’s sovereignty and immutability” and “the translation ... that probably comes closest to the intention of God at this point is,I will be there’.”

Also see the strongly trinitarian standard reference The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Eerdmans, 1984 printing, Vol. 2, p. 1254 (#3), p. 1266 (#5), and p. 1267 (#9), and the trinitarian A Dictionary of the Bible, Hastings, Vol. 2, pp. 199, 200, Hendrickson Publ., 1988 printing.

The clear testimony of the evidence shows that Ex. 3:14 incorrectly translates ehyeh as “I am” in some trinitarian Bible translations, and that it should be rendered as something closer to “I will be.”

(Also take special note of the fact that all other uses of ehyeh found in the first five books [by Moses] always use ehyeh to mean "I will be"!)

Exodus 3:14: Verse in question - see above.

Now look up all the other scriptures which use ehyeh in the rest of Moses’ writings and see how they are translated:

Genesis 26:3 (Jehovah: "I will be with you" NRSV)

Genesis 31:3 (Jehovah: "I will be with you" NRSV)

Exodus 3:12
(Jehovah: I will be with you" NRSV)

Exodus 4:12
(Jehovah: "I will be with your mouth" NRSV) -

Exodus 4:15
(Jehovah: "I will be with your mouth" NRSV)

Deuteronomy
31:23 (Moses: "I will be with you" NRSV)

Exodus 3:14 is incorrectly rendered as “I am” (and even capitalized) in many trinitarian translations. One may disagree, but, in all honesty, he should at least admit that the evidence is not in his favor.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I Am that I Am is not the name given to Moses sir, it was never God's name.
Since Jesus plainly stated in the New Testament that "Before Abraham was I AM" it is clear that you understand neither the Old nor the New Testament. And except you believe that He is "I AM" you will die in your sins. Those are His words.

Yes indeed, I AM THAT I AM or I AM is the personal name of both the Father and the Son. It was actually the Son -- the pre-incarnate Christ (who is also the Word of God) -- who appeared to Moses at the burning bush as "the Angel of the LORD". But then He fully revealed Himself as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as well as "the LORD" (YHWH or Yahweh) and "God". Read and study Exodus chapter 3 very carefully.

No man has seen God the Father at any time. So it was always God the Word (who is also God the Son) who appeared to Moses, just as He had appeared to Abraham and others as "the Angel of the LORD" (who was also immediately worshipped by those to whom He appeared).

He also appeared to Abram as "the Word" (which should have been capitalized in the KJV). After these things the Word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward. And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, that is just a little part of the whole answer of God. This is it:

Exo. 3:
11 However, Moses said to the true God: “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”
12 To this he said: “I will prove to be with you, and this is the sign for you that it was I who sent you: After you have brought the people out of Egypt, you people will serve the true God on this mountain.”

13 But Moses said to the true God: “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What should I say to them?” 14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’” 15 Then God said once more to Moses:

“This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation. 16 Now go, and gather the elders of Israel and say to them, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers has appeared to me, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and he said: “I have certainly taken notice of you and of what is being done to you in Egypt. 17 So I say, I will take you away from affliction at the hands of the Egyptians to the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, to a land flowing with milk and honey.”’

18 “They will certainly listen to your voice, and you will go, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt, and you men should say to him: ‘Jehovah the God of the Hebrews has communicated with us. So, please, let us make a three-day journey into the wilderness so that we may sacrifice to Jehovah our God.’ 19 But I myself well know that the king of Egypt will not give you permission to go unless a mighty hand compels him. 20 So I will have to stretch out my hand and strike Egypt with all my extraordinary acts that I will do in it, and after that he will send you out. 21 And I will give this people favor in the eyes of the Egyptians, and when you go, you will by no means go empty-handed. 22 Each woman must ask her neighbor and the woman lodging in her house for articles of silver and of gold as well as clothing, and you will put them on your sons and your daughters; and you will plunder the Egyptians.”
If we understand that simplicity is a quality of God, then God would never say "I will become", because "to become" implies change and God never changes.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, God prefaced the explicit answer of what his name is with his defining attribute of existing eternally.

We speak this way today. Suppose you come up to a seen on a road with multiple cars piled up in all directions. I am just standing there taking in the seen, perhaps in shock. You come up to me and ask, "what happened?"

I might reply, "I caused this accident. Many people are hurt. Some might be dead." This is a preface to answering your question.

It is explaining first, my unique attribute in answering what happened. Perhaps, it is even more important to know than the question you asked. In context, Moses happened on a supernatural event, a bush burning but not consumed. What is the name of the agent of this miraculous, supernatural event is less important than knowing of all such creatures capable of performing such miracles, you are interacting with the Creator of all that exists.

Powerful stuff.

And the next verse, the Creator explicitly answers Moses question. His name is YHWH.

Have you read Ex 3:15? It is one of the most important verses in all of Scripture? The eternal Creator goes on to say, this name is to be remembered for all generations. Did you know the name YHWH is the name to be remembered for all generations as the eternal Creator?

Odd that most don't, especially given how important names are throughout Scripture.
And later, God will tell Moses that Abraham knew him as "God almighty." Exodus 6:3

Notice how he words that.

and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name, Lord, [YHWH] I did not make Myself known to them.

Here, God hints at the cultural practice associated with naming something or someone. A "name" in that culture is typically descriptive. The Lord says, I appeared to Abraham as God Almighty. We need only remind ourselves of Adam's occupation "naming the animals" and his job involved observation and classification. The name of the animal answers to the question, "what is the most unique feature about this animal that makes it distinctive from all the other animals?" During Abraham's time, the most unique feature about God was his status among all the other so-called gods. He is the God most high; the strongest God; the God who blesses greatly and with liberality.

After the time of Moses, as you point out, we are to understand that God's most unique feature is his self-existence.

Reactions: APAK and Wrangler

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Exodus 3:14​

King James Version​

Since names were descriptive at that time, then we are invited to wonder about the meaning of the name "I Am." The term "am" is a cognate of the verb "to be", which seems to imply that God "be" in a uniquely distinctive condition. The rest of the book of Exodus explores that concept in depth. How is God uniquely different?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since Jesus plainly stated in the New Testament that "Before Abraham was I AM" it is clear that you understand neither the Old nor the New Testament. And except you believe that He is "I AM" you will die in your sins. Those are His words.

Yes indeed, I AM THAT I AM or I AM is the personal name of both the Father and the Son. It was actually the Son -- the pre-incarnate Christ (who is also the Word of God) -- who appeared to Moses at the burning bush as "the Angel of the LORD". But then He fully revealed Himself as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as well as "the LORD" (YHWH or Yahweh) and "God". Read and study Exodus chapter 3 very carefully.

No man has seen God the Father at any time. So it was always God the Word (who is also God the Son) who appeared to Moses, just as He had appeared to Abraham and others as "the Angel of the LORD" (who was also immediately worshipped by those to whom He appeared).

He also appeared to Abram as "the Word" (which should have been capitalized in the KJV). After these things the Word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward. And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
When you say I am, are you claiming to be God? Why not read the account in John 8 the way ti was written sir, not the way you want it to read. Jesus was stating very clearly that he existed before Abraham, and that was the question asked him, as you can clearly see in verse 57. Your version of the Bible chose to render Ego Eimi as I am. Here is the meaning of it sir:
eijmiv Eimi (i-mee');
Word Origin: Greek, Verb, Strong #: 1510
to be, to exist, to happen, to be present
The fact is Jesus did exist prior to Abraham, as God's son in heaven.

I Am is not his name any more than it is God's name. If you believe it is God's name, then show it from the Bible Enoch.

Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who get married say I DO. Doesn’t make all who got married throughout history claiming to be one Being or the same as the first who got married.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ehyeh in Ex. 3:14 and the rest of the Pentateuch

Strong’s #1961 does not give the meaning of ehyeh (one of many forms of the ‘be’ verb, hayah), but, instead, the meaning of the overall form (including ehyeh) of the ‘be’ verb hayah.

Ehyeh itself is always rendered as “I will be” in the rest of the writings of Moses (see below).

“Nevertheless, Exod. 3 does not appear to give a new name for the first time but the explanation of a name known already [YHWH] but now identified as the saving God of Israel....” - The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, p. 69, Vol. 2, Zondervan, 1986.

In its commentary on Exodus 3:14,15, the JPS Tanakh, Jewish Study Bible, Oxford Edition states:

"14: God's proper name disclosed in the next verse is YHVH (spelled yod-heh-vav-heh. In Heb., in ancient times, the "vav" was pronounced "w"). But here God first tells Moses its meaning; ehyeh-asher-ehyeh, probably best translated as "I will be what I will be, …. 15: The LORD: The Heb states God’s name, YHVH, (meaning, according to v. 14): “He Will Be.” - Oxford University Press, 2004.

Notice how ehyeh was translated at Ex. 3:14 in the following Bibles: Moffatt’s translation - “I WILL BE”; Byington’s - “I WILL BE”; Rotherham’s - “I WILL BECOME.” In addition were the following alternate readings in footnotes: American Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; NIV Study Bible - “I WILL BE”; Revised Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; New Revised Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; New English Bible - “I WILL BE”; Revised English Bible - “I WILL BE”; Holman Christian Standard Bible - "I WILL BE"; Living Bible - “I WILL BE”; Good News Bible - “I WILL BE.”

The Encyclopedia Britannica had this to say on this subject:

“The writer of Exodus 3:14-15 ... explains it [the meaning of God’s name] by the phrase EHYEH asher EHYEH (Ex. iii., 14); this can be translated ‘I am that I am’ or more exactly ‘I am wont to be that which I am wont to be’ or ‘I will be that which I will be.’” - p. 995, 14th ed., v. 12.

Although it takes some effort to further check out the meaning of ehyeh, it is worth it. With a good Hebrew-English Interlinear Bible you can prove to yourself that ehyeh should be translated “I will be” (or a similar rendering) at Ex. 3:14.

In contrast to the paucity of evidence for an “I am” interpretation of ehyeh you will find that all of the books of Moses (the Pentateuch), including Exodus, of course, and the book of Joshua always use ehyeh to mean “I will be.” The list of all uses of ehyeh in the writings of Moses can be found below. Check out the various translations of these scriptures. A Hebrew interlinear will back up what I have listed.

2 Samuel 7:14 in the annotated list is quoted in the New Testament scriptures at Hebrews 1:5. Notice that when ehyeh (2 Sam. 7:14) was translated into the NT Greek by the inspired Bible writer at Heb. 1:5, he didn’t write ego eimi (“I am”) but ego esomai (“I will be”)! (Esomai is also used at 2 Sam. 7:14 in the Septuagint, the ancient Greek OT,)

Ezekiel 11:20 in the list is also quoted in the NT at Heb. 8:10. Ehyeh in Ezekiel 11:20 is translated as "I will be," of course, and the quoting of this word by the NT writer in Heb. 8:10 is esomai ("I will be") not ego eimi (“I am”). (Ego esomai is used at Ezek. 11:20 in the Septuagint also.)

Conversely, the trinitarian United Bible Societies and trinitarian scholar Delitzsch both translated the Greek “I will be” of Rev. 21:7 into the Hebrew ehyeh. - See their Hebrew New Testaments.

Not only is ehyeh overwhelmingly translated “I will be” instead of “I am,” but in the vast majority of these instances you will find Jehovah speaking and declaring his “power and enduring presence with [his people]” precisely as was explained above in the New Bible Dictionary statement explaining ehyeh at Ex. 3:14 !

The trinitarian Today’s Dictionary of the Bible, 1982, Bethany House, pp. 330-331, says of Ex. 3:14 -

“It has been rendered, ‘I WILL BE that I WILL BE’ as an indication of God’s sovereignty and immutability” and “the translation ... that probably comes closest to the intention of God at this point is,I will be there’.”

Also see the strongly trinitarian standard reference The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Eerdmans, 1984 printing, Vol. 2, p. 1254 (#3), p. 1266 (#5), and p. 1267 (#9), and the trinitarian A Dictionary of the Bible, Hastings, Vol. 2, pp. 199, 200, Hendrickson Publ., 1988 printing.

The clear testimony of the evidence shows that Ex. 3:14 incorrectly translates ehyeh as “I am” in some trinitarian Bible translations, and that it should be rendered as something closer to “I will be.”

(Also take special note of the fact that all other uses of ehyeh found in the first five books [by Moses] always use ehyeh to mean "I will be"!)

Exodus 3:14: Verse in question - see above.

Now look up all the other scriptures which use ehyeh in the rest of Moses’ writings and see how they are translated:

Genesis 26:3 (Jehovah: "I will be with you" NRSV)

Genesis 31:3 (Jehovah: "I will be with you" NRSV)

Exodus 3:12
(Jehovah: I will be with you" NRSV)

Exodus 4:12
(Jehovah: "I will be with your mouth" NRSV) -

Exodus 4:15
(Jehovah: "I will be with your mouth" NRSV)

Deuteronomy
31:23 (Moses: "I will be with you" NRSV)

Exodus 3:14 is incorrectly rendered as “I am” (and even capitalized) in many trinitarian translations. One may disagree, but, in all honesty, he should at least admit that the evidence is not in his favor.
All this and it is still not correct.

Remember Moses is the one who wrote the Pentateuch. He may have inserted YHWH in the early writings, but to say it was known earlier is a huge stretch o0f the imagination.

One would have to assume (with no evidence) that some time in the past the covenanted people of God completely forgot the name of God, every single living soul of them. To say that the entirety of the children of Israel would not have known the name of God is foolish.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since names were descriptive at that time, then we are invited to wonder about the meaning of the name "I Am." The term "am" is a cognate of the verb "to be", which seems to imply that God "be" in a uniquely distinctive condition. The rest of the book of Exodus explores that concept in depth. How is God uniquely different?
Because the God head is eternal and is the only deity, They occupy a unique position in the universe they created! They are who they are! And that became the divine name we either say Yahweh or Jehovah and the Jews after the return from Babylon would only write YHWH for fear of blaspheming His name again.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One would have to assume (with no evidence) that some time in the past the covenanted people of God completely forgot the name of God, every single living soul of them.
Sorrry Ronald, I did not get that at all from what @tigger 2 wrote. What I got out of it was the translation of the eternal to "I am" is a bit specious. The claim that God saying "I am" is a claim to deity is bogus.

Of all the translations, for this part of the verse I prefer the more precise CJB or VOICE.

Ben Abraham

Dec 13, 2020
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting comments, thank you all for participating. If anyone wants a copy of my eBook "God Tales" (faith-based short stories and poems) leave me a comment below, I would be happy to send a copy to your email address

Reactions: Wrangler