How do you forgive God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A while ago I wrote a post asking if my faith could be saved. To summarise it: I used to be very close to God but horrible things that have happened throughout my life got in the way of it. I had a horrible life, I am stuck with a sometimes abusive father, people walk all over me, I have self esteem issues because of the bad hand I was dealt at life, I wonder why God didn't give me a better life or make me special in any way, my enemies always become successful both in anything they do against me and in their personal lives, and my faith in God is only hanging on by a thread.

This something I didn't add to the original post because it was already long enough: pretty much the only things holding me to Christianity is that I believe what the Bible says is true, I find it commendable that God will restore everything, and I can't risk not going to heaven because I want to meet the children my ex-girlfriend miscarried (I know, that sounds like not a big deal, but it was a tragedy to us).

I know the Bible says to forgive our enemies, but that is something that I simply cannot do. I have been wronged by several people who not only get away with what they have done but also continue to lead happy lives. I know what I am about to say might sound horrible, but I kind of feel like Jesus wasn't being fair by telling us to forgive our enemies.

So that brings me to the title question on how to forgive God. I refuse to forgive the people who have hurt me and continue to hurt me. Not only am I angry at them, but I am angry at God for letting them hurt me and not punishing them (and from my warped perspective, blessing them). I am also angry about, as I said before, the horrible life God forced on me. Even though I will not forgive them, I feel like the only way to go back to the way things were is by forgiving God.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I'm in the same boat. But I love God. So what is the difference between you and me? Maybe it's attitude.

Two things:

1. After having a terrible life do we really want to risk judgment and make it worse? I desire to live with God in his happy family of love and peace rather than hate God and risk going to the hell that could await.

2. God didn't do these things to me, Satan did. So I quit blaming God for what Satan does.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A while ago I wrote a post asking if my faith could be saved. To summarise it: I used to be very close to God but horrible things that have happened throughout my life got in the way of it. I had a horrible life, I am stuck with a sometimes abusive father, people walk all over me, I have self esteem issues because of the bad hand I was dealt at life, I wonder why God didn't give me a better life or make me special in any way, my enemies always become successful both in anything they do against me and in their personal lives, and my faith in God is only hanging on by a thread.

This something I didn't add to the original post because it was already long enough: pretty much the only things holding me to Christianity is that I believe what the Bible says is true, I find it commendable that God will restore everything, and I can't risk not going to heaven because I want to meet the children my ex-girlfriend miscarried (I know, that sounds like not a big deal, but it was a tragedy to us).

I know the Bible says to forgive our enemies, but that is something that I simply cannot do. I have been wronged by several people who not only get away with what they have done but also continue to lead happy lives. I know what I am about to say might sound horrible, but I kind of feel like Jesus wasn't being fair by telling us to forgive our enemies.

So that brings me to the title question on how to forgive God. I refuse to forgive the people who have hurt me and continue to hurt me. Not only am I angry at them, but I am angry at God for letting them hurt me and not punishing them (and from my warped perspective, blessing them). I am also angry about, as I said before, the horrible life God forced on me. Even though I will not forgive them, I feel like the only way to go back to the way things were is by forgiving God.
I would start with Job. If anyone had a reason to be angry at God. Job did. Job was even told by his friends and others to Curse God..

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So that brings me to the title question on how to forgive God.
I guess you still want to have a relationship with God, for the reason you stated, being able to meet the children you never knew. (Understandable.)

"Theodicy" is a philosophical/theological term referring to the problem of God's active and permissive culpability for the evils of this world. As I got older, the problem of Theodicy bothered me more than I want to admit. I ran across an article by NT Wright that I found helpful. I wish I had the link. It goes something like this, and I know it brushes too close to a subject we're not allowed to discuss; I hope the moderators will understand:

Jesus knew what it was like to go hungry. He knew what it was like to be homeless. He knew what it was like to live in a land occupied by brutal foreign oppressors. He knew what it was like to be lonely. He knew what it was like to be misunderstood. He knew what it was like to be slandered by his enemies and by those of reputation. He knew what it was like to be hated. He knew what it was like to be betrayed and abandoned by his friends. He knew what it was like to be arrested on trumped-up charges, given a sham trial, tortured, and brutally and unfairly executed. The Christian answer to the problem of Theodicy is Incarnation. It's not an answer to the question of "Why?", but sometimes empathy is better than philosophy.

(Especially for hurting people.)

My hope is that, by knowing that whatever evils you've experienced, God in Christ has also experienced it and knows how you feel, you can let go of your anger at God for permitting it to happen.

Last edited:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
how to forgive God. I refuse to forgive the people who have hurt me and continue to hurt me. Not only am I angry at them, but I am angry at God for letting them hurt me and not punishing them (and from my warped perspective, blessing them).
Jeremiah 18 This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 2 “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.” 3 So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 4 But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.

5 Then the word of the Lord came to me. 6 He said, “Can I not do with you, Israel, as this potter does?” declares the Lord. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, Israel.

You have had a tough life, that does not give you the right to blame and accuse God.
Please reconsider your attitude towards him.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't think it's necessary to forgive God, because I think he always acts in our best interests.

Reactions: Jn1.Chris and Nancy

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We cannot change God but he can certainly change us. Forgiveness is so healing. No has a perfect life. Just as an example 13 yrs ago my husband of 37 yrs walked out on his business, marriage, home and kids. We had a business together so I was left without a job, and a home. I was very very bitter. I was praying and the Lord told me to start praying for him AND the woman he left me for. It wasn't easy but I forgave them and started praying for them. Life hasn't been easy but my walk with the Lord has never been sweeter. The ex is now my best friend. Something we never has as a married couple. ONLY God can do this.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is the typical misunderstanding.

This life is your ticket out, a gift from God should you choose to receive it. It is also the manifestation of who and what you really are--what we all are and were. You are no different. But yes, there are those who seem to get away with whatever and live happily-- But, this is all they get. You on the other hand have the better gift from God. You can do your best, suffer, endure, believe, and wake up in paradise.

If you can take these things, all that is written to heart--you have reason to smile in the face of these temporary adversities.

Keep the faith!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pisteuo

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've been upset with God about things myself. Things can happen either by God or Satan/the devil. This isn't easy to know.

Finding things that give you joy may help. I prayed for you. I hope you can find joy in your life, and to be back on track with God.

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you all who replied. Hope I am not bumping this or too late, I was waiting for the replies to stop to respond so I wouldn't be constantly bumping it. I will, however, try to respond sparingly so I don't bury more worthier posts if this gets any replies.

My enemies continue to successfully attack me and nothing seems to get better. Sometimes I feel bad about being angry with God but something bad happens again and restarts the cycle.

I would start with Job. If anyone had a reason to be angry at God. Job did. Job was even told by his friends and others to Curse God..
I get what you are saying, but I already have read Job and honestly while I can identify with him, it ultimately does not answer any of my questions.

I guess you still want to have a relationship with God, for the reason you stated, being able to meet the children you never knew. (Understandable.)

[...]

My hope is that, by knowing that whatever evils you've experienced, God in Christ has also experienced it and knows how you feel, you can let go of your anger at God for permitting it to happen.
Thank you. I never really thought of it like that and yes, Christ has been through some of the same things. In a way my longing for the family I lost and my hope to finally meet them is like Jesus's hope of every man being saved. Likewise, he has been treated as horribly as I have.

I've been upset with God about things myself. Things can happen either by God or Satan/the devil. This isn't easy to know.

Finding things that give you joy may help. I prayed for you. I hope you can find joy in your life, and to be back on track with God.
Thank you.

To everyone who I haven't quoted/responded to this post, I have read your replies but have nothing to say about them. Please do not think I am ignoring you.

Reactions: Nancy

Apache1

Nov 19, 2022
Norwich
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When he lets everyone out instead of having us persist in this futile struggle for food/drink and anything we desire like money or material goods

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@PossibleThrowawayAccount.

GOD LOVES THOSE THAT HE CHASTISES, COUNT THEM FOR JOY CONSIDER WHAT HE DID FOR US!!!

Isaiah Chapter 53 reads

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were [our] faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
4 ¶ Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
5 But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither [was any] deceit in his mouth.
10 ¶ Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put [him] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, [and] shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore will I divide him [a portion] with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: dev553344

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

There will be a day when you are going to forgive people who have hurt you. When that day arrives, you will be free indeed and your life will change dramatically for the positive... Blessings and Peace!

Jn1.Chris

May 25, 2023
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When he lets everyone out instead of having us persist in this futile struggle for food/drink and anything we desire like money or material goods

...and it will be like we were never in a state of misery, pain, longing. This life will fade like vapor and we will be like Jesus because we will see Him as is He is. That is your hope.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Isaiah 65:17, 20-25....

“For look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth;
And the former things will not be called to mind,
Nor will they come up into the heart. . . . .

No more will there be an infant from that place who lives but a few days,
Nor an old man who fails to live out his days.
For anyone who dies at a hundred will be considered a mere boy,
And the sinner will be cursed, even though he is a hundred years of age.
21 They will build houses and live in them,
And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage.
22 They will not build for someone else to inhabit,
Nor will they plant for others to eat.
For the days of my people will be like the days of a tree,
And the work of their hands my chosen ones will enjoy to the full.
23 They will not toil for nothing,
Nor will they bear children for distress,
Because they are the offspring made up of those blessed by Jehovah,
And their descendants with them.
24 Even before they call out, I will answer;
While they are yet speaking, I will hear.
25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together,
The lion will eat straw just like the bull,
And the serpent’s food will be dust.
They will do no harm nor cause any ruin in all my holy mountain,” says Jehovah.”

Does this sound like somewhere you want to be?

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I'm in the same boat. But I love God. So what is the difference between you and me? Maybe it's attitude.

Two things:

1. After having a terrible life do we really want to risk judgment and make it worse? I desire to live with God in his happy family of love and peace rather than hate God and risk going to the hell that could await.

2. God didn't do these things to me, Satan did. So I quit blaming God for what Satan does.
Job's suffering showed us Satan can do nothing to God's people without God's permission.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[/QUOTE]
If God gave you a "better life or made you special", do you think you'd still be reliant on God? Would you still worship Him? Praise Him?

Or would you forget about Him and think, "Thanks God. I have what I want, so I don't need you anymore, or the same extent I used to."

[/QUOTE]
I'm sure you've heard it said before, forgiveness is for US; not for our enemies.

I see forgiveness as two-fold: First, we forgive because we really don't know what drives another person to hurt us. Perhaps they have been hurt before, and are lashing out at us. And second, we forgive because, "Vengeance is MINE (sayeth the Lord)." While I can plot, scheme and plan out how to get revenge...get even...NONE of what I do (should I choose to carry out my plan) would even come close to what God's idea is of inflicting punishment could do.

Your idea of punishment is different from God's.

Read your bible. If you don't forgive others, why should God forgive you?

Reactions: L.A.M.B.