How do you hear from God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been trying to seek God's directions on some things and I have some kind of block there. It's been there awhile and I don't know how to break through. I've had a few times that were uncanny - I felt direction come to me as something gentle alighting - but for the most part I seek and seek and seek and I feel as if I can't get through.

Has anyone else experienced this? I badly want to hear from God and gain direction. Can others share how they do this and if they've ever had clear leading from God and what preceded it? I was looking up how to listen to your intuition but want to avoid the new age type stuff. There must be a way that others use to get to that sense of leading from God.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've been trying to seek God's directions on some things and I have some kind of block there. It's been there awhile and I don't know how to break through. I've had a few times that were uncanny - I felt direction come to me as something gentle alighting - but for the most part I seek and seek and seek and I feel as if I can't get through.

Has anyone else experienced this? I badly want to hear from God and gain direction. Can others share how they do this and if they've ever had clear leading from God and what preceded it? I was looking up how to listen to your intuition but want to avoid the new age type stuff. There must be a way that others use to get to that sense of leading from God.

When I saw your subject heading..."How do you hear from God" my knee jerk answer is " with difficulty" :D

I believe it comes slowly. But in my 4 plus decades I found that when we are very young Christians God speaks much clearer...but as we mature His voice is quieter.
When I was in my 20's I talked to the Lord all the time...I probably wore Him out and He put an angel in His place to get a rest!! :D

No, but seriously, I would stand at the shop window and ask the Lord which piece of meat I should buy for the Sunday roast...no kidding...
I wanted Him to have something to say about everything that I did!! ( Hmm it has been many moons since I have seen meat hanging in a Butchers shop window, LOL, that dates me doesn't it! )

Later I read a missionary book about Fenton Hall ..a missionary to the indians in South America.
It said that when he was running through the jungle and praying to be lead to the right tribe that were ready for the Gospel...he would run toward a fork in the path, say a quick prayer..." Right or Left Lord?" Then he would wait for a prompt, and choose that path.

For me, I listen inward..to the Spirit within.
Watchman Nee taught that he always " listened in".
If at any given situation he felt the spirit within him rising, he took that as a positive witness...if he felt the spirit within him withdrawing...he himself withdrew from whatever the situation was.

Most times I have found that God speaks by and through His written Word being quickened to us.
I guess we've all had times when we were just reading our daily devotion with God, when suddenly the words seem so personal, and go right to our heart, and the spirit within gets stirred and moved. We just know that the word was 'for us'.
I usually "do a Gideon" I ask the Lord for direction about something. Then after a while I will "get a quickened word" one morning and I note it...but then , I usually say as Gideon did .. " Let not the Lord be angry..".. but I want confirmation that it is from You. ( Gideon's fleece) God has never failed to confirm His word.
We sold all our stuff and moved from England to Canada by that very way of hearing. ( though I did also get a vision too and various signs) I would never do anything on just one word..or just one sign..for us it must be word upon word , sign upon sign.

I remember just a month before we left England , one sign that made us laugh..I'm sure the Lord has a sense of humour...
We were driving along and came to a Stop....and all four of us shrieked ...coming across the intersection was a huge green tractor Truck ..along the side of it in HUGE letters it said :-

< EMIGRATE to Canada Dry! >

We didn't need it...but it was a sweet touch .

Sorry, I got rambling a bit here. :)

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, my inner voice sounds like a jack rabbit on Red Bull-- bouncing all over the place a million miles an hour. His voice sounds... the image that comes to mind is Master quieting the storm. He is quiet. Still. Calm. Peace.

I've learned to listen to that still voice through my life, and it has been a huge boon for me. But my inner jack-rabbit can be much louder a lot of the time, so prayer and meditation on subjects have now become staples of my spiritual life. But man did that mediative prayer take work to learn how to do! When I was younger, I found that other methods tended to work better-- like going on a hike out in the wilderness. Focusing my bouncy energy into climbing mountains calmed my mind to better hear Him.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119.105).

Come on you guys..is that the best you have got?
She can read that for herself.
You have no life experience of being led by the Lord since you were saved?.

Reactions: Nancy

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh come on...You really get all your direction for life "though a preacher"...wow!!
" Put not your confidence in princes..."
Did I say "all my dorection for life"?

If a preacher is truly a man called of God to preach, who would be a better choice? Myself? You? Mamma? Was I, or you or Mamma called to preach?

A preacher should be an expert on the written Word. If the Bible has answers to the dilemmas of life, who should I ask for Biblical references?

What if the Bible said we could only get faith through a preacher and that it was preaching that actually saves us?

Or maybe I should listen to the voices in my head or something else other than the way God has done it for thousands of years except for the 400 years where everyone did what was right in their own eyes.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This all depends on what you are seeking direction about. My personal take is that (and I say this about myself some still as well) we don't get much answer when the matter we are seeking direction about really doesn't have much to do with our calling, and his spiritual direction for our lives. So I rarely worry about anything other than focusing on what He would have me do each day. I figure if I stay in the center of His will, all the divine direction I need regarding decisions I need to make in life will come to me. To be "led by the Spirit" necessities leading a life in the Spirit.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Come on you guys..is that the best you have got?
She can read that for herself.
You have no life experience of being led by the Lord since you were saved?.
I was responding to the word 'hear'. My sense of the Lord's leading — even though important to me, indeed — is not as objective as what God declares in His Word. "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10.17)

Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I didn’t hear from God for the longest time. Then I got angry and begin to tell Him everyday exactly how I felt. I’m a firm believer that God already knows what is in our heart so we might-as we’ll say it out loud. No use hiding anger or frustration or disappointment. No use pretending. I would tell Him I was angry because He promised hearing from him is not based on education or how smart you are. At first He spoke through life. He taught me things I could relate to Him on. It was painful but there is where an intimate connection began. Now He speaks every day. Sometimes it is a verse that completely destroys what I previously thought. Sometimes it is a dream upon waking where He reveals something more clearly. Sometimes it is during the day when I am unthankful and frustrated by life challenges; He speaks and reminds me to be kind to those around me.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks be to God we don't have to hear from him through a preacher.
Consider that it may not be time to hear from him on your question. When it is time remember;

Psalm 50:3 KJVS
Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him.

He can speak In a thousand million ways.

Every single one of them will be "AN ANSWER OF PEACE".

The kingdom of God is what?

Righteousness
Peace
Joy in the Holy Spirit

An answer of perfect inner peace will ALWAYS accompany God's guidance, answer, direction, calling. AND ALSO;

Isaiah 30:21 KJVS
And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

He may speak to you through a scripture as he did me years ago about changing jobs and working in a different city;

Acts 20:22 KJVS
And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:

He gave me this scripture and I immediately gave notice to begin a new adventure with Jesus.

You may overhear a word from a stranger that perks your spirit.

It may come in the mail.

Get as quiet in your spirit as possible after praise and prayer in the Holy Spirit and just listen. The greatest fault of Christians is in not listening enough... In peace and silence. This is of course assuming you are prayed and confessed up...

He may have already told you what to do but you resist.

Do not look in the ends of the earth. Look near at hand!

Wisdom is in the presence of the one who has understanding, But the eyes of a fool are on the ends of the earth.
Proverbs 17:24 NASB

Your answer is much nearer than you imagine. Amen

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Ye being a bit like that lately which is why I disappeared for a while, we getting closer to the end and Jesus needs us to walk now in faith, which mean we may not always hear but we must trust Him, there was even a time in the OT

Amo_8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

for those who listen to His voice the seed in them will grow and there lamps like the wise virgins will be filled, those who do not seek Him nor hear his voice, there lamps will be empty, but we will only have enough for ourselves, If Jesus cannot get people to listen what hope do we have.

Mat_17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

but so few are listening,

God bless you for sharing you are not the only one.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

We all go through times and seasons. But it all boils down to what we are learning about God.

Can God be trusted? Does He want to let us walk with Him?

We are all being tried to see if we will have faith. Faith is a funny thing. You can look to God for many things and then forget that He is Lord over all things by leaving something out.

Faith is a decision to look to God expecting He will answer you. Without that kind of faith....God will seem distant.

We need to expect God to answer...and He will in many creative ways.

God answers a person with faith. When you think about it...how many situations does God put us in so that we are forced to look to Him? So then our priority must be to look to God and be led by the Spirit in ALL things.

D

Dave L

God is love. And he directs your choices through love. If love isn't present in your decisions, they come from the wrong place.

His word also speaks loud and clear to those who submerge themselves in it. Don't consider imaginary voices to be God. It is your flesh and not the Holy Spirit.

B

brakelite

God loves us so much that He will speak to us in whatever manner that works. IF we cannot hear that "still small voice", He will speak louder. If we cannot hear that, He taps us on the shoulder...if we take no notice of that, He does whatever works, and He will keep trying until we listen. Sometimes we hear Him but don't trust our senses that it really is God who is doing the talking. We are dull of hearing. But we have to trust Him. If we have truly committed ourselves to His will, surrendered our wills to Him, and are hungering after truth and righteousness, we shall be filled. There will be naysayers. Oh, that dude cannot be speaking for God....that church couldn't possibly be the right one for you...but trust that God is answering your prayers. Never mind what man says. Be assured that if you are heading in a wrong direction after sincerely asking for the right way, God will turn you around. He will send someone or magnify His word, or send some form of detour sign to get you back on track. Don't worry that you feel you aren't hearing Him...trust Him...take that step of faith even though you don't know what's behind the hedge...and go for gold. If a door opens, walk through it. If it is shut, don't go climbing in through the window. Find another way...keep praying...keep believing..."I know the thoughts that I think toward you sayeth the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope" Jeremiah 29:11. BJV

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only, one word, well two, "be patience". this had happen to me before. I asked God for a revelation/information on a subject, and it appeared to "ME" like the Holy Spirit went radio silence. and I bug the Lord for about six months, and still no answer. well I reason that the Lord didn't want me to know this, (ERROR on my part). well a few days later I was reading up on another topic, and bingo there was my answer. so I thank the Lord for the Revelation, and asked him why so long?. and he said, I accepted your thanks six months ago. I said, "WHAT!". he said, I gave it to you six month ago but you want it to be your way to understand. so I thought about what the Lord said, and thinking back, the Lord was right. he put it right in my face, but "I", "I", couldn't see it. it was so close to my nose till I, I, I, look right passed it. I, had a preconception of what I thought the answer was, and wanted the Lord to confrim what "I" thought. the problem was not God, but me.

but this was good training because I search for six months finding everything else except what "I" wanted. so I learned a good lession, (Wait on God, because of me), he's not keeping nothing back from us, it's us who hender God word coming to us.

so my advice is "be patience" with YOURSELF. I'm not saying this is the case in your situation. but don't give up, you're an overcomer. God grow us in different ways.

be blessed.

hope this help

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I ask, I wait. I don't ask repeatedly, as if God is deaf, or too busy. I don't worry about if or when I will receive an answer. He knows the precise time I need to know.

So I set it side, on my "invisible shelf"<-- ha The answer simply comes to me, maybe in a few minutes, maybe in a few months. He never fails me, in answering, or the answer being a good outcome.

God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I saw your subject heading..."How do you hear from God" my knee jerk answer is " with difficulty" :D

I believe it comes slowly. But in my 4 plus decades I found that when we are very young Christians God speaks much clearer...but as we mature His voice is quieter.
When I was in my 20's I talked to the Lord all the time...I probably wore Him out and He put an angel in His place to get a rest!! :D

No, but seriously, I would stand at the shop window and ask the Lord which piece of meat I should buy for the Sunday roast...no kidding...
I wanted Him to have something to say about everything that I did!! ( Hmm it has been many moons since I have seen meat hanging in a Butchers shop window, LOL, that dates me doesn't it! )

Later I read a missionary book about Fenton Hall ..a missionary to the indians in South America.
It said that when he was running through the jungle and praying to be lead to the right tribe that were ready for the Gospel...he would run toward a fork in the path, say a quick prayer..." Right or Left Lord?" Then he would wait for a prompt, and choose that path.

For me, I listen inward..to the Spirit within.
Watchman Nee taught that he always " listened in".
If at any given situation he felt the spirit within him rising, he took that as a positive witness...if he felt the spirit within him withdrawing...he himself withdrew from whatever the situation was.

Most times I have found that God speaks by and through His written Word being quickened to us.
I guess we've all had times when we were just reading our daily devotion with God, when suddenly the words seem so personal, and go right to our heart, and the spirit within gets stirred and moved. We just know that the word was 'for us'.
I usually "do a Gideon" I ask the Lord for direction about something. Then after a while I will "get a quickened word" one morning and I note it...but then , I usually say as Gideon did .. " Let not the Lord be angry..".. but I want confirmation that it is from You. ( Gideon's fleece) God has never failed to confirm His word.
We sold all our stuff and moved from England to Canada by that very way of hearing. ( though I did also get a vision too and various signs) I would never do anything on just one word..or just one sign..for us it must be word upon word , sign upon sign.

I remember just a month before we left England , one sign that made us laugh..I'm sure the Lord has a sense of humour...
We were driving along and came to a Stop....and all four of us shrieked ...coming across the intersection was a huge green tractor Truck ..along the side of it in HUGE letters it said :-

< EMIGRATE to Canada Dry! >

We didn't need it...but it was a sweet touch .

Sorry, I got rambling a bit here. :)

Well at least I don't feel alone in my struggle! I'm glad you're being honest.

Thanks for sharing that! So when you're seeking His leading it would be fair to say that reading the Word is the best way to hear. We're seeking God about a move and it's been frustrating since we're not getting clear direction. I'll have to keep my eyes open to look for writing on a truck:) I think God has a sense of humor too. You said you had a dream too?

I'm thinking of fasting. I do it every once in awhile but it's very hard. I've fasted for 1 day and fasted for 3. The 3 day fasts are hard.